PDA

View Full Version : Anybody own an airbag jacket?

Reno
3rd June 2005, 18:39
Just wondering if anybody owns an airbag jacket or knows anyone who has one?

What are they like and how do they work?

Can you buy them in NZ?

Cheers

jazbug5
3rd June 2005, 23:39
Someone been winding you up..?

Paul in NZ
4th June 2005, 06:28
WMC had a couple on display a while back. Dunno if they sold any?

Cheers

James Deuce
4th June 2005, 07:26
Someone been winding you up..?

Serious product Jaz. Uses CO2 cartridges and a lanyard attached to the bike to activate. Takes a bike yank to activate too, because I've seen someone almost drag their bike over when they walked off still attached.

NinjaBoy
4th June 2005, 10:40
I saw some at MotoMail a couple of months back.. they may still have them there

mikey
4th June 2005, 12:56
i got one. its pretty expensive.

you buy a 50 dollar jacket thats been to nam an back an it just fills with air when ever your riding so you get a nice comfy air barrier when you smash.

yet to be tested properly.

Ixion
4th June 2005, 13:02
What *will* these clever people think of next!

Puts a whole new slant on Michelin Man

Let's hope like hell that LTSA doesn't hear of them or they'll make them compulsory

placidfemme
4th June 2005, 13:34
What *will* these clever people think of next!

Puts a whole new slant on Michelin Man

Let's hope like hell that LTSA doesn't hear of them or they'll make them compulsory

that would suck... even if they do work well...

Biff
4th June 2005, 14:55
Mates got one. He bought it at the MCN show in the UK. Loves it. As Jim said, runs off a small C02 cannister, and I believe it inflates around the neck and back in the event of an off.

Rainbow Wizard
5th June 2005, 15:21
No longer will the suck for they will blow instead.
Suck damn it suck! Blow is just a figure of speech. :weird:

El Dopa
6th June 2005, 20:58
Mates got one. He bought it at the MCN show in the UK. Loves it. As Jim said, runs off a small C02 cannister, and I believe it inflates around the neck and back in the event of an off.

There's a video knocking around on the web somewhere of one in use, but I can't seem to track it down at the moment.

Like you say, around the back of the neck and base of the helmet (presumably to hold the head in place relative to the trunk?), and down part of the front/chest if I remember correctly. Looked like a fairly decent bit of kit, but with a fairly hefty price tag to match ($2000?)

Zapf
7th June 2005, 00:49
expect it to be a use once affair.... I can think how the airbag to be ripped to shreads by the road...

Biff
9th June 2005, 16:53
There's a video knocking around on the web somewhere of one in use, but I can't seem to track it down at the moment.

http://www.motoair.com/ here ya go ?

expect it to be a use once affair.... I can think how the airbag to be ripped to shreads by the road...

According to my buddy, apparently not. The bags can be re-packed, the Co2 cannister replaced and you're ready to 'roll' again.

Zapf
20th June 2005, 00:33
yep I agree they can be repacked... but I was thinking the effect of the moving road against the cloth the bag / jacket is made of