PDA

View Full Version : Safety bastards cripple my Guzzi

Paul in NZ
4th June 2005, 11:45
#$@#king W%^kers

I toddle off to get a wof...

Ya need a new SS front brake line mate..

Huh?

Yeah and ya need to change your foot pegs too....

Huh?????

Yup! Apparently you need the 'special' swaged / crimped brake lines as the old bolt together ones are 'dangerous' which is funny 'cos I have never seen one fail, nor has he and he has made 100's of them... $66 for a new line! However the 25 year old original rubber ones are OK to use!

Solid foot pegs are banned so I need to make some folding ones up!

How bloody stupid is this! I bet this was invented by the clown that makes people put up all those stupid signs...

Paul N (broke and pissed off getting a wof)

Ixion
4th June 2005, 12:02
#.. However the 25 year old original rubber ones are OK to use!

I do not think the point about the foot pegs is correct (I mean that the WOF guy was wrong, not you).

If the bike originally had solid pegs then they are OK. It is the same thing as the brake lines. Whatever the bike had as originally registered it can keep (providing it can pass the actual tests, eg stop quickly enough. Which is irrelevant for pegs).

It is only if you change from the original that whatever you change to has to comply with later rules. So if you fited rearsets, they would have to be folding, for instance.

Big Dave
4th June 2005, 12:15
Toddle off somewhere else to get the WOF?

Breva......breva......breva........

Sniper
4th June 2005, 12:15
I was under the impression that if a bike had the original parts (ie: not standard) then it could be denied a WOF. I thought that you could get one with a standard bike???

What next WOF inspectors are going to tell us that we need training wheels too??

Sorry to hear that paul, hope it works out mate

dhunt
4th June 2005, 12:16

How bloody stupid is this! I bet this was invented by the clown that makes people put up all those stupid signs...

hmm does that mean bikes such as AX100's, old CB250's I think etc plus who know's how many bikes that came out like that standard are now illegal. Surelly that's not right.

I had some warrant issues on my last car at the WOF testing station here that I was really annoyed with as they were very minor such as the exchaust rattleing. Went back later, different guy passes that no problem. Guess what I'm not going there again. :no:

placidfemme
4th June 2005, 12:16
#$@#king W%^kers

I toddle off to get a wof...

Ya need a new SS front brake line mate..

Huh?

Yeah and ya need to change your foot pegs too....

Huh?????

Yup! Apparently you need the 'special' swaged / crimped brake lines as the old bolt together ones are 'dangerous' which is funny 'cos I have never seen one fail, nor has Randal (does the wof) and he has made 100's of them... $66 for a new line! However the 25 year old original rubber ones are OK to use!

When you say you need pegs that fold up, is that for the rider or the passanger?

jazbug5
4th June 2005, 12:17
I could do some asking around for you on Tuesday if you like..?
Sometimes the WOF guys do get it wrong; we had a guy in on Friday that'd been told he had to change all the seats in his camper van (or something like that anyway)... he didn't.
One phone call and he was able to go get his WOF.

Motu
4th June 2005, 12:54
Quite correct about the non folding footpegs - you can't have a fucntional fitting that could hook or injure a person....you will need to fit folding handlebars too as they can seriously injure pedestians.

Get him to SHOW you in the VIRM where it says you need folding footpegs - there is no such wording,apart from which I have just written....I'd like to see his interpretation..... :weird: :wait:

Ixion
4th June 2005, 12:58
Quite correct about the non folding footpegs - you can't have a fucntional fitting that could hook or injure a person....you will need to fit folding handlebars too as they can seriously injure pedestians.

Get him to SHOW you in the VIRM where it says you need folding footpegs - there is no such wording,apart from which I have just written....I'd like to see his interpretation..... :weird: :wait:

Yes, new safety rules, the front forks have to be hinged too, so that they fold backwards. That way if you hit a pedestrain the front wheel and forks just fold back. All bikes will have to be retrospectively fitted with the new forks before their next warrant.

Sniper
4th June 2005, 13:11
Ahhh, I see. You know, the only WoF guy I genuinly like is Motu with his useful info. I have met a couple of decent WoF guys but I know a few of them can be PRICKS.
Thanks Motu :niceone:

Paul in NZ
4th June 2005, 14:28
Guys..

I have a proper wof! The tech is a bloody decent guy with a sound knowledge of bikes and he was not shitting me or trying to dick me about. He's unusually helpful and has been VERY decent. The guy is a proper motorcyclist and feels as frustrated as the rest of us! We went through the book and I can appreciate that he is a difficult position interpretting this info... If he gets it wrong he gets into the poo!

I have ordered a new brake line (I had this from 2 sources and thus accept it). The foot pegs I think are part of a new set of regs.

Note that the Guzzi has period, aftermarket rear sets fitted from nearly new as the originals were the same on all models sports and touring and I hate the position with clipons.... I'll get a mate to whack up a new set no worries but it's annoying and pointless!

Cheers

ps - He did tell me there was a back track on the noise / muffler thing

Ixion
4th June 2005, 14:33
Guys..

I have a proper wof! The tech is a bloody decent guy with a sound knowledge of bikes and he was not shitting me or trying to dick me about. He's unusually helpful and has been VERY decent. The guy is a proper motorcyclist and feels as frustrated as the rest of us! We went through the book and I can appreciate that he is a difficult position interpretting this info... If he gets it wrong he gets into the poo!

I have ordered a new brake line (I had this from 2 sources and thus accept it). The foot pegs I think are part of a new set of regs.

Note that the Guzzi has period, aftermarket rear sets fitted from nearly new as the originals were the same on all models sports and touring and I hate the position with clipons.... I'll get a mate to whack up a new set no worries but it's annoying and pointless!

Cheers

Ah. I think it's the "aftermarket" bit that bites you. Cos you can't say they are original, as per when the bike was complied. Same deal as teh brake hoses. The original ones would be OK , but aftermarkets have to comply with whatever silly new rule they ahve dreamed up.

Enn
4th June 2005, 15:24
Ah. I think it's the "aftermarket" bit that bites you. Cos you can't say they are original, as per when the bike was complied. Same deal as teh brake hoses. The original ones would be OK , but aftermarkets have to comply with whatever silly new rule they ahve dreamed up.
Phew that had me seeing a pile of dosh extra for my next wof, guess ''aftermarket"" legislation-interpretation- co(n)pliance = $$$ But hey its for Y(our) safety aye..... :puke: good that its not too hard to fix up :ride: :yes:

Hitcher
4th June 2005, 15:38
But the Suzuki Marauder doesn't have folding front pegs...

FROSTY
4th June 2005, 15:53
Guys..

Cheers

Paul Im sorry mate but its a total crock of shit.
I have just consulted the regs and discussed mattersw with one of the north islands 6 Low volume vehicle certifiers --Ie the guy that makes sure trikes and suchlike are safe to be on the road--again he says its a total crock of shit.
-CB100/125/cg110/125/rx125 -old bikes-trumbies and suchlike ALL have solid pegs.
Definitely ya need a brake line with the appropriate standards mark on it (by line I mean right up/down to the fittings) but the only possible way your pegs could fail is if there is a sharp edge or tip that could hurt someone.
If it turns into a bunfight I have the name and number of the person who your WOF guy needs to call to confirm what Im saying.

madboy
4th June 2005, 17:08
But the Suzuki Marauder doesn't have folding front pegs...Not much chance of a marauder leaning over far enough to need them, eh? :rofl:

This is why I bought a fairly modern bike with 1 year WOFs... I only have the anxiety leading up to, and depression following once a year :)

Motu
4th June 2005, 18:21
Guys..

Cheers

There are no new regs,the VIRM is on amendment 2 from only a couple of months ago,footpegs only have to be adequate for the purpose and not damaged etc - if you modify your footpegs (like fit folding pegs in place of rigid pegs) you will need a modification cert.This guy is full of shit - make him SHOW you where in the VIRM it says you need folding pegs.The VIRM is the AVIs Bible,if it's in there in black and white you fail,if it's not there to CLEARLY interprete then you can't be failed!!

WINJA
4th June 2005, 18:24
GUZZIS ARE SHIT , HE DID THE RIGHT THING GET A JAPPER OR A DUKE

XTC
4th June 2005, 21:04
Not much chance of a marauder leaning over far enough to need them, eh? :rofl:

This is why I bought a fairly modern bike with 1 year WOFs... I only have the anxiety leading up to, and depression following once a year :)
You are wrong there - a Marauder can scrape it's pegs changing lanes on the motorway... :killingme

sels1
4th June 2005, 22:01
[QUOTE=Big Dave]Toddle off somewhere else to get the WOF?QUOTE]

When I bought my current (2nd hand)bike I took it to the same testing station place I take the car. I dont think they do many bikes. A guy just hopped on it and checked the brakes, lights and horn and tyres. Didnt even notice that the brake light only worked on the foot brake. Sweet, I thought....
Then I took it to track day and at scruitineering they noticed my front wheel bearing was quite badly worn. I hadnt noticed - still getting used to the feel of a different bike etc so I decided then it was a good idea to get the wof done at a bike shop in future so at least twice a year a experienced mechanic checks my bike out - cheap insurance I feel.
I use the same guy as Paul and just had my wof done - no problems and he even fixed the switch on the front brake light for free. (I had bought some stuff off him and he just did it as part of the wof.) He is a good mechanic and a decent helpful sort of guy. Perhaps he just needs some help on the new law interpretations.....?

madboy
4th June 2005, 23:32
so I decided then it was a good idea to get the wof done at a bike shop in future so at least twice a year a experienced mechanic checks my bike out - cheap insurance I feel.Exactly my thoughts. I leave my rego pretty much permanently on hold, but I never skip a WOF. A rego is tax (and I seldom leave it parked on public roads), but a WOF covers a few critical safety areas that an owner (particularly an amateur like me) just wouldn't pick up on.

In saying that - footpegs was a harsh call in this case I woulda thought, but I don't know the rules so I'll stay outta that one...

Ixion
5th June 2005, 11:11
There are no new regs,the VIRM is on amendment 2 from only a couple of months ago,footpegs only have to be adequate for the purpose and not damaged etc - if you modify your footpegs (like fit folding pegs in place of rigid pegs) you will need a modification cert.This guy is full of shit - make him SHOW you where in the VIRM it says you need folding pegs.The VIRM is the AVIs Bible,if it's in there in black and white you fail,if it's not there to CLEARLY interprete then you can't be failed!!

Here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/vir-manual/motorcycles/mc-2-vehicle-exterior-v2-2.pdf) are the rules about footrests for warrants. Summarised, you have to have them, they must be secure and undamaged. That's it.

BUT - as Mr Motu notes, ANY modification to footrests requires certification. Which is bloody silly , because it catches all rear-sets (though, interestingly, not those where you could reverse the footrest, because there is nothing about changes to gearlevers or brake levers, though the latter might be caught under structure).

Problem for Mr Paul in NZ is that his bike was ALREADY modified , by teh fitment of teh aftermarket rearsets.

Paul in NZ
5th June 2005, 11:18
Here (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/vir-manual/motorcycles/mc-2-vehicle-exterior-v2-2.pdf) are the rules about footrests for warrants. Summarised, you have to have them, they must be secure and undamaged. That's it.

BUT - as Mr Motu notes, ANY modification to footrests requires certification. Which is bloody silly , because it catches all rear-sets (though, interestingly, not those where you could reverse the footrest, because there is nothing about changes to gearlevers or brake levers, though the latter might be caught under structure).

Problem for Mr Paul in NZ is that his bike was ALREADY modified , by teh fitment of teh aftermarket rearsets.

Fark!

Just for a laugh! Where would I get my foot rests certified? While the footrest are modified they are a 100 times more solid than the factory ones and I know the mech didn't realise they were not factory fitted!

Ixion
5th June 2005, 11:31
Fark!

Just for a laugh! Where would I get my foot rests certified? While the footrest are modified they are a 100 times more solid than the factory ones and I know the mech didn't realise they were not factory fitted!

No idea where you'd get them certified I'm afraid. But if the tester doesn't realise they are not original (ie on the bike when first NZ registered), then just point out the requirements to him. Present ? Tick. Secure ? Tick. Undamaged, uncorroded ? Tick. That's all they need.

Nothing at all about having to be folding.

Incidentally when did this whole thing about folding footrests come into the picture? And why?

I remember when the first trail bikes came out with folding footrests. Road bikes then ALWAYS had solid. On trailies folding made some sense, cos if you hit a log, boulder, troll etc you didn't bend the footrest. Which is all it was for, nothing about safety. Just not damaging things. Like they had folding gear lever sticky out bits, for the same reason

So when did they start putting them on road bikes ? And why ? Cos I don't usually hit logs, boulders etc on a road bike.

Is it because some brain damaged idiot thought it had something to do with footpegs scraping (" Oh oh OMG the foot pegs might scrape on the road and the whole bike will cartwheel OMG" I can just see it now) ?

Pixie
5th June 2005, 11:36
Exactly my thoughts. I leave my rego pretty much permanently on hold, but I never skip a WOF. A rego is tax (and I seldom leave it parked on public roads), but a WOF covers a few critical safety areas that an owner (particularly an amateur like me) just wouldn't pick up on.

In saying that - footpegs was a harsh call in this case I woulda thought, but I don't know the rules so I'll stay outta that one...

Or you could get to know your bike intimately and learn the basics of what constitutes a safe bike ,then you wouldn't be putting your safety in the hands of some monkey at a testing station as infrequently as once a year. :ride:

How many wof inspectors road test the bikes as the regs require?

zadok
5th June 2005, 11:36
Makes me wonder if it isn't a concerted effort to rid the roads of older machinery. Probably trying to bluff people into thinking of getting rid of the old. Out with the old, in wit the new. :oi-grr:

Pixie
5th June 2005, 11:40
Next year the clark govt plan to bring in new wof regs at the advice of acc,requiring all motorcycles to be tested to destruction in order to pass a wof inspection :weird:

Motu
5th June 2005, 11:50
How many wof inspectors road test the bikes as the regs require?

Was always a requirement for cars,but testing stations never did,I was never happy about that...but all such wording was removed,a road test is no longer required.It was alway optional on a bike....most of my bike WoFs are for friends or people I know well,they often say take it for a spin,and I often do....but not all the time,I honour their love of their bike.They know their bike better than I do,are probably more fussy than me even,not much I can pull them up on and they often point out things they aren't happy with and will it come up in a WoF.If the ego is huge and the attitude is ''no one rides MY bike'',then I insist on a ride and step back to watch the huffing and puffing - more fun than riding their shit box any day!

Sooooooo,your bike was modified in the first place Paul? and you were trying to slip it past the inspector eh? I think it's time you fessed up and handed yourself in to the authorites - pity I live so far away...I'd come around and do a Citizens Arrest,after all,it's the least I could do for our community..../

Ixion
5th June 2005, 11:54
...I'd come around and do a Citizens Arrest,after all,it's the least I could do for our community..../

Plead the unwritten law, mate. ie that there should be exemptions from everything for Guzzi's cos they are cool bikes (shaft drive and V twin, gotta be good !)

Ixion
5th June 2005, 12:00
Took a sidecar combo into the Council testing station once for a WOF. Blew the testers mind. He couldn't figure out whether to test the bike and chair separatly, test them together as a bike, or try to test it like a car. And he couldn't ride a sidecar, so he couldn't figure out how to test the brakes (and it had a sidecar brake too ! ) . Or how to check the forks or front wheel bearings (no putting THAT on the centre stand).

In the finish he just wallied about a bit, said "Well, I gues sit looks OK" and gave me my warrant.

I don't think there's anything even today to force you to get a warrant on a sidecar (detachable variety) . You can take the bike in without the chair, get a WOF, then connect the chair.

Drew
5th June 2005, 12:07
[QUOTE=Big Dave]Toddle off somewhere else to get the WOF?

Now that W.O.F is online, you can't just go somewhere else. If the new guy looks it up and passes it anyway, he gets in the shit big time.
the only thing you can do, is check the reg's and if he is right, bite the bullet and find an engineering shop that can put a hinge on them. Wont cost bugger all.

Ixion
5th June 2005, 12:14
Some bikes come with alternative footrest mount points, for rear set purposes. In that case, mounting the footrests in the (standard) alternative position would not be a modification (even though you have to modify shit out of the linkages)

Don't know if that's the case with Guzzis

avgas
5th June 2005, 12:43
WHAT ABOUT BODYKITS ON SHITTY CARS? TOW HOOKS? TOW BALLS? These could all catch someone??? :weird: My tow ball gets me about 4 times a year and i just walk past it. Imagine the future.....
"Im sorry son, but those (Clip-ons, Motorcross bars) are a danger to the public - your choice now is either these nice tall monkey hangers that are out of the way, or this nice round steering wheel"

FROSTY
5th June 2005, 13:40
Paul the problem is he saw it was a geriatric bike and realised it had pegs not the running boards it was sposed to have

Motu
5th June 2005, 20:11
[QUOTE=Big Dave]Toddle off somewhere else to get the WOF?

Now that W.O.F is online, you can't just go somewhere else. If the new guy looks it up and passes it anyway, he gets in the shit big time.
the only thing you can do, is check the reg's and if he is right, bite the bullet and find an engineering shop that can put a hinge on them. Wont cost bugger all.

He won't get in the crap unless he passes a fault,you can try for WoFs all day if you like.Previous failures doesn't show until the last screen,and by that time you've just issued the WoF,kinda annoying that....

Big Dave
5th June 2005, 20:36
[QUOTE=FIZZERMAN]

He won't get in the crap unless he passes a fault,you can try for WoFs all day if you like.Previous failures doesn't show until the last screen,and by that time you've just issued the WoF,kinda annoying that....

My conditioning, In Aus the 'Pink Slip' is available at most service stations - you just keep going up paramatta road till you find the lebanese guy who needs the $30 NOW. Really big cities have some advantages. Not many - but some.