PDA

View Full Version : Removing decals under clear coat?

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 09:19
Has anyone got any tips on removing tank decals that have a layer of clear coat over them?

Chrislost
13th September 2010, 09:25
Drop a match into the tank

preferably lit

:)

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 10:07
Fair call sir. I should have said i'd like to remove them without having to respray the tank :pinch:

marty
13th September 2010, 10:11
the clear coat is the basis of your shiny paint job. anything under it is part of the paint, and will require stripping of the clear, removal of the offending decal, then re-clear coating it.

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 10:12
I feared as much. I shall attack the clear with sand paper, wet i guess? 800?

MSTRS
13th September 2010, 10:39
Beware dicking with a clearcoat. Some of them are compatible with the (matte) paint underneath, but will not like a coat of anything over the top. Even sanding the whole thing to remove the gloss may not do it.

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 10:47
Thanks MSTRS.
Worst case i'll have to have the whole thing re painted :shit:

I shall attempt to remove the clear by sanding the whole tank. I'll remove the offending decals then have it professionally cleared again. What sort of sand paper (or other method) do you recommend?

MSTRS
13th September 2010, 11:07
To get the best job possible, you need to take it back to metal. Use wet'n'dry - 300 maybe - to remove clear/paint, then go finer as you go through the undercoat. Then spray with a filler/base coat, sand smooth with 1200 grit (wet), then colour coat, then several coats of clear. Or use several coats of gloss colour, without the clear.

You see, the problem is that paint comes in different types, not all of which are compatible with other brands. Ever seen paint 'fizz'? It aint pretty.
Basically, the solvents in the new coat attack the old paint you've sprayed over.

Plus, some paints need to be layered at certain(ish) time intervals. So the new layer bonds to the still-curing previous layer.

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 11:15
Thanks, good info there. I'll price up a respray and get sanding :D

Owl
13th September 2010, 12:31
Has anyone got any tips on removing tank decals that have a layer of clear coat over them?

Yes!

An MBX will strip decals under clearcoat, provided the tank is metal. If tank is plastic, the basecoat will tear off also unfortunately. Most good panel/paint shops will have an MBX and could do this in less than 2 minutes.

In reality though, trying to re-apply clearcoat only is cheap and nasty.

But yes, it can be done!!!:yes:

marty
13th September 2010, 14:58
anything can be done - at a price - apparantley we even went to the moon! I'd be just taking the tank in to a painter - the time saved by youy sanding the decal off just won't be worth it - like it's been said - a paint shop would have the decal off in 2 minutes.

kiwifruit
13th September 2010, 17:39
thanks guys :D

Taz
13th September 2010, 18:16
What's an MBX?

Owl
13th September 2010, 19:24
What's an MBX?

Basically an air-tool powered rubber wheel that's used to remove pinstripes/decals without damaging paint. Also has wire wheel attachments for heavy duty work.

http://www.mbxit.com/index.php

granstar
24th April 2011, 22:41
What about the other way, applying decals to a painted clear coated tank. Do you need to you overspray with a clear over the top, and if so what do you use (or is it a question for pro painter)?

Owl
25th April 2011, 06:37
What about the other way, applying decals to a painted clear coated tank. Do you need to you overspray with a clear over the top, and if so what do you use (or is it a question for pro painter)?

Decals can be applied to a clear-coated tank. Could be left unprotected or clear-coated, however I'd hope the existing surface was in pristine condition. I'd be using 2-pack clear-coat and scotch-briting/sanding around the decal to ensure adhesion.

crazefox
25th April 2011, 17:27
only way too get them off is too sand them off and re paint

barno
20th May 2011, 17:24
THis MBX thing looks like a Dremel...??

MSTRS
20th May 2011, 17:34
A farking big one....

DrunkenMistake
20th May 2011, 19:31
You could always put some brake fluid onto a rag and wipe the whole tank down, and wait a week.

Its cheaper than paint stripper haha