PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 driver help!

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 02:12
Now before you reel in amazement or horror , this question is on a behalf of a friend who is using windows seven

He wants to use a japanese Video card and but the ENGLISH version of windows os wont let him install the Japanese driver for his japanese video card needed because the coaxial cable here is of a differing size to Australian coaxial

Is the driver language dependent? how can he install the driver ?

Kind regards

Stephen

Scouse
16th September 2010, 02:18
Im gussing that if he was to select the apropriate reigion in the control panel he may just get it to work

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 02:26
Im gussing that if he was to select the apropriate reigion in the control panel he may just get it to work

thanks for that I just emailed it across

I havent a clue about windows , I can only do penguin

thanks

Stephen

Gremlin
16th September 2010, 02:39
Which version of 7 does he have? Ultimate is supposed to be able to change language on the fly, but not the lower versions.

Otherwise, what's the specific error?

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 02:44
changing the region doesnt work , comes back with current language is not supported by the device driver , contact the vendor

Stephen

Scouse
16th September 2010, 02:52
Ok then he my need go to add windows componants again in the control panel under add/remove programs this icon is usualy next to the add hardware icon as there is somthing in there to add various differnt language support

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 02:54
Which version of 7 does he have? Ultimate is supposed to be able to change language on the fly, but not the lower versions.

Otherwise, what's the specific error?

the warning it gives is ,,,,,,changing the region doesn't work , comes back with; current language is not supported by the device driver , contact the vendor

am emailing now , I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ultimate , he always go top shelf

( resisting any quips about Linux ,,,trying my best honestly !)

thanks though for the help

Stephen

Gremlin
16th September 2010, 03:13
I feel soooo used... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9848772

edit: as Scouse says, if he has Ultimate, he may need to use Windows update, to gain extra language packs (there is a little over 30 of them from memory). If he has ultimate, under the optional updates will be the language packs. Then follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-display-language

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 03:39
I feel soooo used... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9848772

edit: as Scouse says, if he has Ultimate, he may need to use Windows update, to gain extra language packs (there is a little over 30 of them from memory). If he has ultimate, under the optional updates will be the language packs. Then follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-display-language

HAHAHAHAHAHA Honestly big thank you X2!!! I thought I would throw it to the wider audience , ( didnt want to mension here that I use Linux ,,, and feel dirty and grubby when using windows !:whistle:)

ill flick it over and see , ,,, I would of thought the driver was language independent ! ?

Still lets hope the Kama goes full circle and you both have a good outing on the bikes next time )

Stephen

Ronin
16th September 2010, 03:59
He could always try the chipset drivers rather than the card makers drivers. EG ATI or Nvidia.

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 04:07
He could always try the chipset drivers rather than the card makers drivers. EG ATI or Nvidia.

how would u do that

that loses me a little

Stephen

Ronin
16th September 2010, 04:15
how would u do that

that loses me a little

Stephen

As an example, my card is made by Gigabyte and they do drivers for their card... Which are crap. The card uses a Nvida chipset so I use the Nvidia drivers. If his card manufacturer has not released a version of the drivers to work in the language he wants then the chipset makers may have.

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 15:00
As an example, my card is made by Gigabyte and they do drivers for their card... Which are crap. The card uses a Nvida chipset so I use the Nvidia drivers. If his card manufacturer has not released a version of the drivers to work in the language he wants then the chipset makers may have.

thanks for that I will post across

Bling is to be sent I reckons

Stephen

sugilite
16th September 2010, 15:45

I may be wrong here, but I "think" you still need to have the basic vga driver installed for that card before you can go ahead and install the chipset drivers (nvdia or ATI etc)

SMOKEU
16th September 2010, 16:06
The standard nVidia/ATI drivers should do the trick.

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 16:49

I use linux so i do not know windows ,,, I assume you can go to the Nvidia website and down load a standard driver

Stephen

cowboyz
16th September 2010, 16:56

unless of course it is neither a nvidia or ati based card!.. there are more than 2 manufacturers out there!

ID the card first. then get drivers striaght from the manufacturer. TBH.. IF it was a nvidia or ati based card I would have thought win7 would have already done this for you (assuming the pc is connected to the internet in all)

I use linux so i do not know windows ,,, I assume you can go to the Nvidia website and down load a standard driver

Stephen

as above. ID the card first. if it is a Nvidia based card then they have a unified driver which covers just about every card they make. Nice and easy.

Ronin
16th September 2010, 17:02
I may be wrong here, but I "think" you still need to have the basic vga driver installed for that card before you can go ahead and install the chipset drivers (nvdia or ATI etc)

Standard vga will run almost any hardware as it is non accelerated and is installed by default.

cowboyz
16th September 2010, 17:09
Standard vga will run almost any hardware as it is non accelerated and is installed by default.

if you can see an error message on the screen then its already running default drivers!

SMOKEU
16th September 2010, 17:31

Stephen

Ubuntu downloads the nVidia drivers automatically I think, but I know that nVidia cards definately are supported by Linux.

unless of course it is neither a nvidia or ati based card!.. there are more than 2 manufacturers out there!

I can imagine someone going to the trouble of importing a 10 year old PCI card into the country. Every modern video card I have seen is either nVidia or ATI, and I'm not talking about onboard graphics here.

Brian d marge
16th September 2010, 17:45
So why is he getting these error messages

current language is not supported by the device driver , contact the vendor

I am sorry , I just realized its a TV card he is trying to install , very sorry I just realized

Stephen

cowboyz
17th September 2010, 03:43
So why is he getting these error messages

current language is not supported by the device driver , contact the vendor

I am sorry , I just realized its a TV card he is trying to install , very sorry I just realized

Stephen

ha! right! I knew it couldnt have been a ati/nvidia card! you really have to ID the card now otherwirse you might has well pick a needle out of haystack

Brian d marge
18th September 2010, 23:33
ha! right! I knew it couldnt have been a ati/nvidia card! you really have to ID the card now otherwirse you might has well pick a needle out of haystack

yup my bad on that one , I will get the id ....

Sorry

Stephen