PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle awareness ads!

fleebag4@
17th September 2010, 11:40
Okay, my reg (SV650) is coming up for renewal and i'm NOT a happy camper! Mostly because i pay more than a car and they're more at fault for accidents than bikers! Classic example is 2 cars almost pulling out in my lane and almost cleaning me out in 1 ride! The 2nd guy almost got it as i stopped in front of him and was damn close to knocking his head off! Damn boy racer in his Subaru! Now, the government here does NOTHING for motorbike awareness though they spend ton's of cash on great Car Awareness adverts! Why can't they spend our extra cash we give them on adverts like the below???? WHY!!!!! Can we start a petition on that note? Who's keen......:bash:

1st 2 add’s are great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX5aDLqQen8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojXsFjlOuVE&NR=1
This is sure to get attention!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns-CpxNsA3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16e8S...eature=related

doc
17th September 2010, 11:51
How about US insurance adds ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NwNGjFldXo

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpjedAZooaQ

Spearfish
17th September 2010, 12:09
The vid lists on the side of those are well done, especially the seatbelts ones.

Do these vids work long term or just up the level of mental numbness of those who watch to the point the next adverts have to up another shock level to work?

Most drivers take a passive role to driving anyway so this could only happen to the other guy, we all know abs has stopped brake skids so we don't need following distances, curtain airbags stop side on impacts at intersections and front airbags make it ok to overtake on blind corners because they stop frontal unintentional meetings.
Shyt I'm getting cynical. LoL

fleebag4@
18th September 2010, 08:57
I think this is off the point! I want cars to be made aware of us bikers!Why can't they spend some of there budget on it, especially since summer is around the corner. They could even pay the people to use the ad's i put up to do some cost saving.

mashman
18th September 2010, 09:07
You may want to join a motorcycle awareness group and voice your concerns... you may well find hundreds of people wanting the same as yourself :)... there's a few groups around lol...

Berries
18th September 2010, 14:51
I think this is off the point! I want cars to be made aware of us bikers!Why can't they spend some of there budget on it, especially since summer is around the corner.
Because bigger savings will be made by making car drivers aware of other cars. We are lower on the scale because there are less of us. Fact of life. On my way to work I'll be lucky to see another bike, but I'll see hundreds of cars.

Ride Fast Live Long
29th September 2010, 16:58
There really should be a bike awareness campaign set up somewhere along the line, especially with summer on the way. Bikers are probably amoungst the most aware on the roads yet it's always us that gets the blame for an accident.

steve_t
29th September 2010, 17:12
There have been "Look for bikes" ads for the last few years haven't there?

But I can see where this could be going:

Government - "Motorcyclists are complaining that car drivers don't see them. I know, let's force motorcyclists to wear fluoro safety vests..." :facepalm:

Ride Fast Live Long
29th September 2010, 17:17
There have been "Look for bikes" ads for the last few years haven't there?

In the almost 4 years in this country i have seen one road safety ad aimed at bikes, not saying there is none, just need to be more, maybe as much as there are cars safety ones.

Genestho
29th September 2010, 17:35
Do these vids work long term or just up the level of mental numbness of those who watch to the point the next adverts have to up another shock level to work?

A few weeks back - much ado was made of the effectivness graphic road safety campaigns:

A new study makes the surprising finding that for a portion of the population, scare tactics can back-fire, actually undermining a message's efficacy.

[Nestler, S., & Egloff, B. (2010). When scary messages backfire: Influence of dispositional cognitive avoidance on the effectiveness of threat communications Journal of Research in Personality, 44 (1), 137-141 DOI: 10.1016/j.jrp.2009.10.007]

"The key finding is that participants who scored high on cognitive avoidance actually rated the threat from Xyelinenteritis as less severe after reading the scary version of the report compared with the low-key version.
Moreover, after reading the scary version, they were less impressed by the advice to reduce caffeine consumption and less likely to say that they planned to reduce their caffeine intake.

On the other hand, highly cognitive avoidant participants were more responsive to the low-key report than were the low cognitive avoidant participants. In other words, for people who are cognitively avoidant, scary health messages can actually back-fire.

'Practically, our results suggest that instead of giving all individuals the same threat communications, messages should be given that are concordant with their individual characteristics,' Nestler and Egloff said. 'Thus, the present findings are in line with the growing literature on tailoring intentions to individual characteristics, and they highlight the role of individual differences when scary messages are used."

steve_t
29th September 2010, 17:48
A few weeks back - much ado was made of the effectivness graphic road safety campaigns:

A new study makes the surprising finding that for a portion of the population, scare tactics can back-fire, actually undermining a message's efficacy.

[Nestler, S., & Egloff, B. (2010). When scary messages backfire: Influence of dispositional cognitive avoidance on the effectiveness of threat communications Journal of Research in Personality, 44 (1), 137-141 DOI: 10.1016/j.jrp.2009.10.007]

"The key finding is that participants who scored high on cognitive avoidance actually rated the threat from Xyelinenteritis as less severe after reading the scary version of the report compared with the low-key version.
Moreover, after reading the scary version, they were less impressed by the advice to reduce caffeine consumption and less likely to say that they planned to reduce their caffeine intake.

On the other hand, highly cognitive avoidant participants were more responsive to the low-key report than were the low cognitive avoidant participants. In other words, for people who are cognitively avoidant, scary health messages can actually back-fire.

'Practically, our results suggest that instead of giving all individuals the same threat communications, messages should be given that are concordant with their individual characteristics,' Nestler and Egloff said. 'Thus, the present findings are in line with the growing literature on tailoring intentions to individual characteristics, and they highlight the role of individual differences when scary messages are used."

So everyone responds differently to different advertising/message "tactics" and ideally we'd tailor an ad to each individual BUT since that's impractical, how do we target the majority? Did the study say what percentage of the population is "cognitively avoidant"?

Genestho
29th September 2010, 17:51
So everyone responds differently to different advertising/message "tactics" and ideally we'd tailor an ad to each individual BUT since that's impractical, how do we target the majority? Did the study say what percentage of the population is "cognitively avoidant"?
It's a case study of about 300 people, at first I thought the idea impractical too, but then - the study suggests - you're either one way - or the other, so perhaps each targeted topic needs 2 types of advertising across all media - to cover two cognitive types?

Or innovative ideas that can capture the mind more...

Spearfish
29th September 2010, 21:08
It's a case study of about 300 people, at first I thought the idea impractical too, but then - the study suggests - you're either one way - or the other, so perhaps each targeted topic needs 2 types of advertising across all media - to cover two cognitive types?

Or innovative ideas that can capture the mind more...

That would suggest any awareness campaign aimed at bikers awareness will need the same two pronged approach.

Genestho
29th September 2010, 21:58
That would suggest any awareness campaign aimed at bikers awareness will need the same two pronged approach.
Or any campaign...
I take it to mean this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-xK_t-A_8E or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH34xzIdY58&feature=related

Vs that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOZamchXiE&feature=related

And a little bit of this wouldn't go amiss either: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DD99mtI3Po&feature=related

I recon that there are enough people interested that could make that happen, even if it is only you tubed (too easy)

TV ad's are extremely expensive, if I recall correctly in the thousands for each showing - might stand corrected...

fleebag4@
30th September 2010, 09:44
Well, bikers could start a campaign and send these types of links to friends and stuff to forward on though i can't picture it going down well :scooter:

avgas
30th September 2010, 10:16
You may want to join a motorcycle awareness group and voice your concerns... you may well find hundreds of people wanting the same as yourself :)... there's a few groups around lol...
I dunno - he doesn't look like Filthy Few material....

Do the mob still ride bikes?

onearmedbandit
30th September 2010, 10:16
And here I was thinking that motorcyclists were responsible for their own majority of accidents, rather than other road users.

avgas
30th September 2010, 10:17
Government - "Motorcyclists are complaining that car drivers don't see them. I know, let's force motorcyclists to wear fluoro safety vests..." :facepalm:
And flashing lights.
And tassels of the back.

This has worked so well in the construction industry.