PDA

View Full Version : Auck Harbour Bridge wind speed - scooter accident

Xsasinator
18th September 2010, 11:02
Hopefully most people stayed in last night, but here is my story from last night...

I was in a cage as i was driving some friends to town, heading into Auckland from the shore, weather was fine until we hit Onewa turn off where it just bucketed down and was blowing a gail. We were driving along in lane two and i notice a scooter driving along in lane one being blow from left to right, he has his indicator on so i assume he was going to turn off just before the bridge in the bit that the cops sit and wait for it to pass, but no he starts going up the bridge, trying to stick to the right side of lane 1, but gust after gust knocks him left, and with little power to pull out one big one slams him into the side as the barrier stops him and knocks his bike over, I pull over in front of him, chuck the hazards on and jump out and a car stops behind him and does the same. Manage to pull the bike off him and its a mission to stand the thing up against the wind, the rider manages to stand up but looks in a state of shock and we help him into the car until the cops/ambo arrive. While i was sitting in a cop car the cop asked HQ for the wind speed on the bridge and it was 75km/h, and was pretty much perpendicular to the direction of the traffic so this guy had no chance, even bigger biker i imagine would struggle so hopefully no one else tried to cross the bridge last night...

Not sure if the guy is alright but hopefully he is fine, and hopefully he stays in next time there is a big storm. Haven't seen anything on the news so hopefully his injuries where just minor.

Devil
18th September 2010, 11:06
Wasn't that bad. Have had worse.

jack_hamma
18th September 2010, 11:20
Nice that you took notice of this follow and took the time to help... nice one dude!

MarkH
18th September 2010, 12:06
I don't know is lane 1 is a good idea on any bike in high wind - I'd prefer to be on lane 3 or 4 in those conditions. Probably not the sort of weather that I'd want to be out on a smaller/lighter scooter either. Mine is over 200Kg and I don't find it too bad in the wind (have ridden in gale force wind & torrential rain before).

yachtie10
18th September 2010, 13:23
good of you to help

He should be a fat bastard like me and it wont affect him as much

usually I will line up with a vehicle (preferably a Vvan or truck) to protect me as I go over the bridge on a windy day

MIXONE
18th September 2010, 13:30
I don't know is lane 1 is a good idea on any bike in high wind - I'd prefer to be on lane 3 or 4 in those conditions. Probably not the sort of weather that I'd want to be out on a smaller/lighter scooter either. Mine is over 200Kg and I don't find it too bad in the wind (have ridden in gale force wind & torrential rain before).

Mine is 230+kg and the welly wind was pushing me around yesterday.

StephenG
18th September 2010, 13:33
Does anyone know if there's a website which gives the current windspeed on the harbour bridge? On some days it would be good to know before heading out what the wind is like. I know of greylynnweather.net (http://greylynnweather.net) which is pretty good but I want something for the harbour bridge. I know they monitor it...

PrincessBandit
18th September 2010, 14:22
Balu's fatty ass 650 burgman still got shunted about a foot sideways going over the harbour bridge a couple of weekends ago. I was following on the bandit (with no incident) and was quite surprised to see him get blown across like that.

mattian
18th September 2010, 16:07
about a week ago I got a sudden slamming from a corss wind at the top of the bridge, forced me sideways and had to lean left just to stay in my lane. I felt the front wheel almost come off the road. This was in moderately/heavy winds. Nothing like we have had today. My rule of thumb is, if its its really windy at ground level, then expect it to be at least twice as windy at the top of the bridge because its exposed and high up. The wind can change direction and strength so suddenly up there.
I ride my bike to work everyday accross the Harbour bridge and in 4 years, there have only been 2 occassions when I have caught the bus because of the wind. If i had been working this weekend, it would have been a third.

Marmoot
18th September 2010, 21:14
For everyone's safety, please remember to use the inside lanes (not the clipons) when the weather is bad.

Safer communities together, eh.

p.dath
18th September 2010, 21:29
Good man for looking after another biker.

I considered briefly riding over the bridge today (I'm on a 600) and decided not to - too dangerous for me blood.

p.dath
18th September 2010, 21:30
For everyone's safety, please remember to use the inside lanes (not the clipons) when the weather is bad.

+1. I agree.

danchop
18th September 2010, 21:48
what a bunch of pussys!cant even ride over a big wide bridge with some wind in your face

p.dath
18th September 2010, 22:51
what a bunch of pussys!cant even ride over a big wide bridge with some wind in your face

If only it was in your face - it's side on. :lol: