PDA

View Full Version : Cheesecutters sprout in Mt Maunganui

Old Steve
19th September 2010, 16:55
I have just driven over the Hewletts Rd flyover, first time in ages. Cheesecutter barriers have been erected on the Maunganui Rd end of the flyover to keep straight through traffic and flyover traffic separate.

I'm going to ask the local council traffic department on Monday why they have chosen such a lethal barrier system. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheap but what is a person's life worth?

I might just have to use the MAGIC word I learnt when working in a large international corporation. Whenever I wanted something done I'd point out the "liability" the company would face if it wasn't done. That word instills panic in management, if they've been warned and then the company incurs liability because of their inactivity, what does that do for their career paths?

Berries
19th September 2010, 18:21
Like it or not, they are an accepted type of barrier system in NZ. At the moment. You might be better off using the two magic words, Fair Go, if you want to frighten them in to an answer. Or write to your local MP. Road Controlling Authorities tend to jump a bit higher when they have to respond to a minister. You might get the standard reply, but the more people who complain individually the more chance there is of getting something done.

MSTRS
20th September 2010, 08:22
Send them a picture of a sliced and diced body.

Little Miss Trouble
20th September 2010, 08:33
I travel that route every day and while cheesecutters are not the safest barrier in the world, if its a choice between them or no barrier at all then I'd prefer them to the number if near misses I've had where arseholes have not checking before cutting into the lane coming off the flyover because they're getting impatient with the car infront not getting up to speed fast enough

Little Miss Trouble
20th September 2010, 08:36
Of course the actual fix for that issue is reminding the general public to do head checks, indicate for 3 seconds before changing lanes etc but that's too difficult eh?

Old Steve
23rd September 2010, 20:43
I've written to NZTA and copied ACC suggesting that a line of plastic poles on a sprung base would be better. These are used where Takitimu Drive exits onto Waihi Rd (an intersection I go through 3 or 4 times a day) and they seem very effective in preventing drivers crossing into the other lane immediately after the lanes merge.

I've also quried whether these WRBs are installed to NZTA standards - there is no separation between the WRB and the sides of the lanes and this is a 70 km/hr zone.

MSTRS
24th September 2010, 08:35
I've also quried whether these WRBs are installed to NZTA standards - there is no separation between the WRB and the sides of the lanes and this is a 70 km/hr zone.

This is the biggest problem with WRB...inappropriate placement, leaving little-to-no margin of error.

duckonin
24th September 2010, 08:48
I have just driven over the Hewletts Rd flyover, first time in ages. Cheesecutter barriers have been erected on the Maunganui Rd end of the flyover to keep straight through traffic and flyover traffic separate.

I'm going to ask the local council traffic department on Monday why they have chosen such a lethal barrier system. Yeah, yeah, I know it's cheap but what is a person's life worth?

I might just have to use the MAGIC word I learnt when working in a large international corporation. Whenever I wanted something done I'd point out the "liability" the company would face if it wasn't done. That word instills panic in management, if they've been warned and then the company incurs liability because of their inactivity, what does that do for their career paths?

Steve no magic word is going to work on this issue CC have been around a long time, many have complained but alas no responce.... Aus riders have had the same issues with cheese cutters for twenty years or so now...Ride safe !!:msn-wink:

Juzz976
24th September 2010, 09:41
Its a straight short peice in 70k zone and almost always heavy traffic, you'd have to deliberately hit them wouldn't you?

Love those steel expansion bits on the bridge in the wet tho, good times.

duckonin
24th September 2010, 09:54
Its a straight short peice in 70k zone and almost always heavy traffic, you'd have to deliberately hit them wouldn't you?

Love those steel expansion bits on the bridge in the wet tho, good times.

Yep the expansion bits need care in the wet 4 sure, keep the bike upright going over them..:niceone:

Pixie
24th September 2010, 10:43

You live in NZ fella - The Land of No Accountability thanks to the ACC No Sue rule.
They'll just laugh at you.This is Half Arsed Cheapest Option heaven

Juzz976
24th September 2010, 12:07
Yep the expansion bits need care in the wet 4 sure, keep the bike upright going over them..:niceone:

More fun on a good lean:innocent:

Old Steve
7th October 2010, 21:03
I had a long talk with the City Council traffic engineering consultants today. While they use the flexible pole barriers further down Maunganui Road, to stop northbound traffic turning right into Exeter St, the exit from the flyover has presented some exceptional conditions.

First, yes the barrier is purely to stop traffic changing lanes immediately after the exit from the flyover.

Secondly, the area is space restricted. So Armco or concrete barriers cannot be used, they have too big a footprint.

Thirdly, flexible pole barrier were initially put in. However, Bay of Plenty motorists have done something that no other motorists have done anywhere else in the country. They just drove through them. Particularly SUV drivers.

So, the flexible pole barriers were taken out and Wire Rope Barriers were put in.

I've come to the conclusion that while bikers may not consider that the WRB is the ideal barrier, we will probably have to accept that the WRB is better than having a bloody big LandCruiser come across the lane into the side of us. "Oh, sorry. I didn't see you. Nor your headlight on high beam. Nor your hi-viz vest. I was distracted by this thumping noise under my SUV."

MSTRS
8th October 2010, 08:41
So - what you are saying is - no matter what 'the authorities' do, bikers are put at risk because of the poor attitudes/driving skills of others?

Old Steve
9th October 2010, 12:08
Yeah, gotta love them cagers, don't you.

I guess that the probability of a motorbiker coming off and hitting the WRB would be lower than the probability of a cager (or worse, an SUV driver) coming across into your lane through a row of flexible pole barriers - cos if they're stupid enough to drive through a row of flexible poles then they wouldn't have looked to see if any bikers were there anyway, would they.

MSTRS
9th October 2010, 12:24
Yep, you're right. Yet the risk remains that Mr Motorcyclist, to escape being monstered by someone on his right, veers to the left...Hello Mr Cheesecutter.

Little Miss Trouble
9th October 2010, 12:25
I've come to the conclusion that while bikers may not consider that the WRB is the ideal barrier, we will probably have to accept that the WRB is better than having a bloody big LandCruiser come across the lane into the side of us.
Can I say "I told you so" now? :shutup:

"Oh, sorry. I didn't see you. Nor your headlight on high beam. Nor your hi-viz vest. I was distracted by this thumping noise under my SUV."
Thats why I don't use either as a defense tool, my defenses are my superior observation skills and by ability to out accelerate any moron who is bent on taking me out.

Little Miss Trouble
9th October 2010, 12:30
Yep, you're right. Yet the risk remains that Mr Motorcyclist, to escape being monstered by someone on his right, veers to the left...Hello Mr Cheesecutter.

In this particular situation the barrier seperates two lanes of traffic headed in the same direction, the only way you'd possibly be forced into the barrier here is from someone within your own lane, or in the case of coming off of the flyover, possibly oncoming traffic? but its a straight stretch of road so not too much danger of that.

inorganic
10th October 2010, 19:12
preview est

inorganic
10th October 2010, 19:22
Look ... this is crap .. people in cars are not the enemy ... 75% of accidents on bikes are "loss of control" incidents ... learn to ride ... learn to live!!:yes:

CHUNKY MONKEY
10th October 2010, 19:29
Look ... this is crap .. people in cars are not the enemy ... 75% of accidents on bikes are "loss of control" incidents ... learn to ride ... learn to live!!:yes:

Oh ffs! :facepalm:

reofix
10th October 2010, 19:49
if you can find a scapegoat then you never have to look in the mirror ... life is simple ... its that other fullas fault!... and you can ffs all you like ... and die on sunday

nodrog
11th October 2010, 08:28

I am not a racist, I will race anybody.

Fanny

caseye
21st October 2010, 17:19
Yeah, gotta love them cagers, don't you.

I guess that the probability of a motorbiker coming off and hitting the WRB would be lower than the probability of a cager (or worse, an SUV driver) coming across into your lane through a row of flexible pole barriers - cos if they're stupid enough to drive through a row of flexible poles then they wouldn't have looked to see if any bikers were there anyway, would they.
I know where MSTRS is coming from and I agree with him 100%.
I also see the traffic engineers dilemma.it would seem that in this case the only sensible thing to do, was done.
Having said that can we recruit you into MAG-NZ as the BOP Rep, seems you are already on speaking terms with a council engineer who actually does think before he acts.
Once you are our man in the bay could you please start consulting with the traffic types and make sure that come hell or high water there are no more WRB's erected anywhere.
Further to the above perhaps you could suggest a flat moulded plastic(recycled 100mm milk bottle plastic) sheet that fits between the underside of the armco and the road surface so that not one of those nasty motorcyclists killing posts are seen nor able to be contacted if in the event of a spill a rdier had to take their chances with a wrb.
Serious question.