PDA

View Full Version : gas gas scootard

rabidnz
20th September 2010, 12:43
hey guys, picked up an 03 gasgas sm50 factory scootermotard to put around on and avoid rego prices on 2 bikes. Problem is there is no info on it anywhere, i even speak a bit of spanish and still cant find much mention of it.
It is the flashest looking, and slowest moving bike I have owned, but being a 2t and with a nice empty frame im sure there is a bit that can be done to perk her up.

My problem is that i dont think its even running like stock, not sure if its because im not used to going so damn slow, or if it has factory restrictions on it (cant feel any in the exhaust, will check reeds soon), one thing is for sure, the dellorto 14:12 carb outlet is about the diameter of my thumb, thats gotta be holding it back.

Now ... Can anyone tell me anything about it ?
Yes, i know its slow, i wasnt asking that.

What should i get in a compression test?
Anyone know the stock gearing ?
Also wondering what the stock main jet in the baby carb is or should be, #75 in there atm, feels like its too rich in the top end?

Buddha#81
20th September 2010, 13:17
hey, I had a Suzuki SMX50 (very simular) and 75kph crusing and had 105 slight down hill with tail wind, you have to trash them to go anywhere but heaps of fun. Keep us posted.

rabidnz
20th September 2010, 16:36
well, i have had the carb and airbox off for a good cleanout, doesnt seem to be going any better, really feels like something is holding back the revs. Id be stoked with 75kms, feels like only doing 60 maxed out. Appareantly the motor is a morini, and the cylinder says giraldoni 273c.
Im wondering if it has some sort of electronic restriction in the cdi, or is just in desperate need of a top end inspection, as it has probably never had one. At least it looks as I can drop the engine out with one hand :)

Anyone gimme a ballpark figure of how much compression a watercooled 50cc should make?

Moooools
20th September 2010, 16:41
I know a bit about the engine, as I was planning on getting one to bucket race before other things came up.

It is a Minarelli AM5 which is pretty much identical to the AM6 which was put into the Aprilia RS50, the Yamaha TZR 50 and the Yamaha RZ 50. There are a multitude of parts available for the engine although not cheap to get the good stuff. People have reported up to 28HP from those engines.

Here is a link to the best site I have seen for aftermarket AM5 parts:
http://www.adrenalin-pedstop.co.uk/productitems.aspx?Category=4545&Page=3

I don't know how much that helps, but thats all I've got.

Max

rabidnz
20th September 2010, 20:22
thanks mate that helps a bucketload :D
i had suspected it was the am6 motor, did you find out what the difference was between the two?

Moooools
20th September 2010, 21:45
Simple answer: there is no difference.
Perhaps in appearance? Perhaps slightly different stock porting, but I THINK all the parts are interchangeable.

Moooools
20th September 2010, 21:49
Forgive me if I am patronizing you, but have you ridden a two stroke before.
When I had a ride on one you really have to rev it up before shifting. And it does feel pretty gutless.
If you are used to a big four stroke (which you may not be) that thing would feel terrible, it felt bad enough jumping from my 250 two stroke.

rabidnz
20th September 2010, 22:57
forgive my counter patronization, but please read the little thing that says current bike ^^ rg250 is a parallel twin two stroke motorbike made first in 1984 da da da..... anyway i prefer my bikes smokey mate and i do in fact understand the power deliver characteristics, and this one is just unhappy as larry

anyhoo Seems the difference is only in the am-5 having 5 speeds and the am-6 having, well, 6. Also the other main difference is the sprocket shaft which takes a 3/16 sprocket instead of a 1/4. Seems like a bit of a prick to find one, what with the gas gas dealer earthquaked, along with the husky dealer.

Moooools
21st September 2010, 07:42
Oops my bad. Must be something wrong with it then. :shutup:

carver
24th September 2010, 20:41
email the gas gas factory for a owners manual

rabidnz
27th September 2010, 16:48
the manual is useless, it really is a users manual , not a technical manual

this thread has moved to http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/128786-Kings-of-50cc-help-with-my-Scootermotard because the bucketeers were much more knowledgable regarding my lil tard and 50cc engines