PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Hot Grips

Dschubba
20th September 2010, 16:04
Well call me a big girls blouse but.....

Got some of these for me ATV and got home to realize I got the wrong size. Never mind I'll put them on my road bike.

I had been using the Oxford Hot Hands wrap around heaters for the last 7 years, and apart from re soldering a wire and re heat shrinking it once, they have worked and lasted brilliantly. Only problem each winter when I put them on,the handlebars felt really fat leaving me feeling like if I accelerate too much I might disappear off the back. Also, having taken them off for summer, the Burt Munro last year turned ugly and cold, and they were left in Wellington, A permanent install would be better.

The new ones are great, same size diameter as original grips, variable hotness, and think they have smarts inside that turn them off if battery voltage gets low. I wired mine thru a relay which switches on with the sidelights.

Installation was easy, but Richard at Jville said read the instructions and follow exactly, ie sand the old glue off and get them fitting good before playing with superglue. Oh and work out where you want the power wire to end up to allow full rotation of throttle. You only get one go sliding them on.

Seem well made with wiring more robust that the early models, everything including mount for controller, glue, cable ties in the box.

Then had to go back and get a set for the Quad-

They make the 0430hrs commute to work bearable, and would work very well in Invercargill this week-

Highly recommended!

Sean

NZsarge
20th September 2010, 16:08
These are the only heated grips to use imho.

Owl
20th September 2010, 18:05
I can't talk, as I have them too:D

I would recommend a bonding sealer to put the grips on with though. Allows you plenty of time to get them where you want and will be usable in a couple of hours (rock solid in 24).

Hitcher
20th September 2010, 18:32
I'm on my second controller unit, but the grips work just fine. I reckon that the Oxfords are a lot neater install than are the Daytonas.

Subike
20th September 2010, 18:44
I'm on my second controller unit, but the grips work just fine. I reckon that the Oxfords are a lot neater install than are the Daytonas.

I used a small square of self adhesive valcro to mount my control box as the mount supplied was awkward to mount anywhere usefull, plus I can tuck it under the tank when putting the bike into a show as a classic. I will agree that they are one of the cheapest saftey devices you can add to your bike.

Hitcher
20th September 2010, 18:45
Heated grips should be standard kit on all bikes. I have no idea why they're not.

miSTa
20th September 2010, 18:51
But what if the Oxfords are installed on a Daytona?

Hitcher
20th September 2010, 18:53

Then they'd be a triumph!

tri boy
20th September 2010, 19:25
They are good heated grips, but I disagree with their wiring instructions, (as do others).
I personally prefer the metod of using a heavy (30amp) relay to transmit voltage, rather than direct wiring from the battery.
I believe that method is responsible for early controller failures, and flattened batteries.
I can not prove this, but I believe the internals of the controller has a weakness with currant leakage. MHO

Jonno.
20th September 2010, 19:32
It's just asking for trouble if you wire them to the battery; anyone can come along and drain your battery with the push of a button.

Relay is the way to go.

TOTO
20th September 2010, 19:42
they good eh. I got the guys at Psycho Treads to install mine to the ignition. never missed a beat. :niceone:

Virago
20th September 2010, 19:44
It's just asking for trouble if you wire them to the battery; anyone can come along and drain your battery with the push of a button...

They have built-in circuitry which shuts them off automatically when then voltage drops below a set level (around 12.5V from memory). They won't drain your battery by being left on.

It's that same circuitry that causes problems for some people who try to wire them through an ignition-controlled source - any voltage drop in the supply source will prevent them from turning on or staying on. Such voltage drops through switches etc are common on older bikes.

davebullet
20th September 2010, 20:17
Then they'd be a triumph!

Mine made a spark when I put them on the Speed Triple. Does that make them an Arc de Triomphe?

But seriously. Be paranoid like me and use a relay. This site provides good instructions for the electrically challenged (like me):
http://www.canyonchasers.com/shop/generic/relay.php

We've had 2 pairs on his and hers bikes for the last 2 years. No problems. The controllers have never automatically shut off for any reason and the cheap Dick Smith Narva automotive relays (approx $7) have performed flawlessly.

Hitcher
20th September 2010, 21:12
They have built-in circuitry which shuts them off automatically when then voltage drops below a set level (around 12.5V from memory). They won't drain your battery by being left on.

11.5V. They need 13V to run, so it's best to hard wire them to the battery.

ckai
21st September 2010, 09:08
Gotta agree. I got the latest sports version ones on my Daytona :) And they are the dogs pyjamas. :niceone:

Since busting my hand I was finding it a right asshole riding in reasonably cold weather. Now, I'll ride more in winter next year. The sport ones actually look good too.

STJim
21st September 2010, 10:32
They are good heated grips, but I disagree with their wiring instructions, (as do others).
I personally prefer the metod of using a heavy (30amp) relay to transmit voltage, rather than direct wiring from the battery.
I believe that method is responsible for early controller failures, and flattened batteries.
I can not prove this, but I believe the internals of the controller has a weakness with currant leakage. MHO

I agree with this. I had my Oxfords installed by Hamilton Honda iin May this year. Grant at Hamilton Honda wired them direct to the battery. A few weeks later I forgot to turn them off and my battery was drained. On top of that the controler unit decided to pack a sad.

The problem was fixed with the instalation of a relay and a warranty claim for a new controler unit.
With the relay installed the grips shut down when the ignition is turned off.

HenryDorsetCase
21st September 2010, 12:34
thanks for this: I will be installing them on my bike next. Mate has them on his R1 (the "Sports" ones) and he likes them a lo: doesnt get the numb hands anymore he reckons.

Gremlin
21st September 2010, 12:43
I found the sports grips with the dimpled pattern were not nearly as good as the original grip pattern. The dimples were hard to grip once glovers got wet, and I suspect the dimples also wear down faster. I've got the digital 2 button on one bike and the original push button on another. Both have performed well, clips on different ones are even standard, so you can plug another grip in if one fails... Had that.

doc
23rd September 2010, 07:52
Then it would be a Gaytona. :bleh:

ROBMW
23rd September 2010, 10:40
I agree that heated grips are a must and there are several safety bonuses when your hands are warm. Mine are connected directly to the battery and yes they do turn off when I accidently leave them on, but it leaves the battery quite weak causing a sluggish start. I'm thinking about re-wiring it through the ignition so that they turn off automatically when the key is turned off. From my limited battery knowledge I don't think it's good for a lead acid battery to be significantly discharged frequently as over time it reduces the battery's capacity. My battery (sealed unit) is now much weaker than it was a year ago when it was new!:confused:

STJim
23rd September 2010, 19:11
I agree that heated grips are a must and there are several safety bonuses when your hands are warm. Mine are connected directly to the battery and yes they do turn off when I accidently leave them on, but it leaves the battery quite weak causing a sluggish start. I'm thinking about re-wiring it through the ignition so that they turn off automatically when the key is turned off. From my limited battery knowledge I don't think it's good for a lead acid battery to be significantly discharged frequently as over time it reduces the battery's capacity. My battery (sealed unit) is now much weaker than it was a year ago when it was new!:confused:

Hamilton Honda can fit a relay which will solve the problem

ROBMW
24th September 2010, 20:29
Cheers. I spoke with them yesterday and I think I'll do that.

thepom
1st December 2010, 18:39
As for them turning themselves off below 11 volts it is not true,my unit flattened the battery twice after I forgot to turn them off.....

Gremlin
1st December 2010, 18:55
As for them turning themselves off below 11 volts it is not true,my unit flattened the battery twice after I forgot to turn them off.....
Depends on your version I believe... how they are installed as well.

sinned
10th December 2010, 20:10

Depends on your version I believe... how they are installed as well.
The battery may not fully flatten but will lose sufficient charge as required to crank a big motor. It happen to me and then I fitted a relay with the feed wired from the battery - problem solved.

F5 Dave
23rd December 2010, 11:03
11V is flat!

A relay is in all respects like being wired to the battery with the marked exception that it can be controlled separately, ie disconnect if ign off if you connect the control wire to a switched power. Wiring it to teh battery is decidedly 'bush'. But you can see they wouldn't get many people knowing how to throw a relay in. Really simple though but an auto electrician could do it quick if they have access to loom. (fairing panels out of way)

I've never tried Oxford, Old Daytonas are pretty ordinary & my current bike has newer ones on which are better but still a bit naff. But I got some Hot Grips (that's the brand name) from the States (had to buy from a distributor as the co wouldn't sell to overseas). They were rudimentary looking but best I've used. The 'mercians know something about being cold.

While yer about it the Widder 'lecy vests are great.

scumdog
23rd December 2010, 11:43
The battery may not fully flatten but will lose sufficient charge as required to crank a big motor. It happen to me and then I fitted a relay with the feed wired from the battery - problem solved.

True!

An ignition key controlled relay is the only way to go.

davebullet
23rd December 2010, 13:07
Relay relay, olay olay!

been_there
24th December 2010, 12:45
+++ on the relay...
I now have radar and hot grips working with no flat batteries.

Attached is a picture of what we did. Really simple even for me.....

Owl
24th December 2010, 14:50
When is that controller supposed to shut off power? I understood it was 11.3v, but I allowed mine to drain to 10.9v yesterday with the grips still going strong. I got bored and gave up:wait:

thepom
25th December 2010, 07:46
I know from experience that it will suck your battery dry..........the low battery detection and protection does not work......go on then,try again and leave it overnight.......:facepalm:

zeocen
27th December 2010, 08:27
I have them wired to the ignition on the VFR and to the battery on the ZX14. Both are the new models and they will indeed suck a battery dry given half a chance. The 14 has been a victim of the vampire grips. :(

VFR has had no issues at all, but I prefer the old buttoned style to the new, it's nigh impossible to see some of the LEDs on the new ones, whereas the old ones had extra bright LEDs in them.

thepom
27th December 2010, 12:24
yeah I like the old ones too and when I wired them to my bird it upset my alarm so ending up back on the battery,the old ones were much better in my opinion still best thing to have on a bike ,...

Hitcher
27th December 2010, 17:57
New ride is fitted with Oxford grips, in readiness for colder conditions later in 2011.

sinned
28th December 2010, 07:26
My Oxford grips have failed and appears to be a fault in the controller. The grips were fitted 16 months ago. Can't find any info on warranty, if there is one?

davebullet
31st December 2010, 08:37
My Oxford grips have failed and appears to be a fault in the controller. The grips were fitted 16 months ago. Can't find any info on warranty, if there is one?

My yet to be installed sports grips contain a 2 year warranty form - so I guess yours will be covered too.