PDA

View Full Version : Alpinestars S-MX 3 GORE-TEX Boots

placidfemme
7th June 2005, 07:48
Hey,

I'm not sure if I'm writting this in the right place or not, but I brought a pair of these a while ago, and I'm now having a "squeaking" problem... it started off with just one boot, and now both boots sqeak with every step I take...

I've tried cleaning the boots, but it hasn't stopped the annoying sqeaking...

Does anyone have these boots? Do you have this problem? Any idea on how to stop the sqeaking without damaging the not-s-cheap boots.

Thanks in advance :ride:

Slim
7th June 2005, 11:38
I've got an older model of Alpinestars & they squeak really badly. Basically, the plastic bits rub on the Lorica bits and you can either put up with it or try wax or CRC, although neither of these products will fix the problem for more than a few weeks at a time.

placidfemme
7th June 2005, 12:18
I've got an older model of Alpinestars & they squeak really badly. Basically, the plastic bits rub on the Lorica bits and you can either put up with it or try wax or CRC, although neither of these products will fix the problem for more than a few weeks at a time.

Thanks for replying... Any particular type of wax I should use or just any wax?

It drives me nuts, the Alpinestars are comfy enough to walk around in but when they sqeak that much it's just an annoying pain... I'm even considering selling them and buying some other brand of boot... even though I do love the Alpinestars... :Punk:

thanks again :niceone:

Slim
7th June 2005, 12:49
Thanks for replying... Any particular type of wax I should use or just any wax?
Nope. Any type of beeswax product will do the trick.

I wouldn't trade them in on another brand of boot though! Believe me that you will get used to the squeaking. You'll just have to accept that you'll never be able to sneak up on anyone whilst you're wearing them. ;)

k14
7th June 2005, 13:09
Yep happens the same to me, I just grin and bear it. Walking in a funny way can make it stop squeaking, might spray some crc on it next time i have them on.

placidfemme
7th June 2005, 13:53
Thank you :) I'll try beeswax.

Yeah I don't think I'll trade them in for a new pair, hopefully the beeswx or crc will do the trick :)

NhuanH
7th June 2005, 14:24
or use a silcone spray that most bike shops will have, in that plastic ankle joint, if that's the source of squeakiness.

You probably won't even need to buy a can, they oughta just give you a quick squirt to relieve the squeak.

placidfemme
7th June 2005, 15:00
or use a silcone spray that most bike shops will have, in that plastic ankle joint, if that's the source of squeakiness.

You probably won't even need to buy a can, they oughta just give you a quick squirt to relieve the squeak.

Yeah it's those plastic bits that sqeak... started on just one boot and then the other got jealous of the noises and started too... crazy boots

thanks again...

boomer
7th June 2005, 15:05
Hi Placidfemme,

i have the same boots and they too started on just one and now i have both sqeaking in unison.

I'm off to crc my booties too. Thanks all !

:ride:

Lord Pac
7th June 2005, 15:32
same boot here! CRC/WD40 on the ankle plastic joint does the trick for me. Just a little spray. Becareful you don't get any silicone on the sole of the boot! Good luck! :niceone:

placidfemme
7th June 2005, 15:38
same boot here! CRC/WD40 on the ankle plastic joint does the trick for me. Just a little spray. Becareful you don't get any silicone on the sole of the boot! Good luck! :niceone:

hehe might I say... good to see I'm not the only one :)

I thought it was sqeaking because I was cleaning them wrong or something... and I was nervous to use any other products on them incase it damaged them (at the price of Alpinestars you always want to be careful).

NC
7th June 2005, 16:43
Yeah mine do it too, and I get shit for it :motu:

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 07:37
Yeah everyone knows when your coming... or even when your just standing still and your ankle moves slightly...

SQEAKKKKK SQEAKKKKKKKKK SQEAKKKKKKKKK

lol so damn annoying... I'm going to have a look tonight for CRC/Beeswax and/or WD40

It's a shame... I wouldn't have expected this from an Alpinestars product

Ghost Lemur
8th June 2005, 09:22
Have any of you actually bothered getting in touch with Alpinestars? Giving some customer feedback so they can work on rectifying the issue in future models?

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 09:25
Have any of you actually bothered getting in touch with Alpinestars? Giving some customer feedback so they can work on rectifying the issue in future models?

No... but thats a good idea... I'll write them an e-mail and place the URL to this thread as proof I'm not the only one...

Then when the S-MX 4 comes out we'll be more likely to buy it :niceone:

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 09:35

Well here it is:

Hi

My name is Tammy (Surname), I'm writting to you from Auckland, New Zealand. I recently brought a pair of Alpinestars S-MX 3 GORE-TEX Boots. And find that after a few months of wearing the boots that they start to sqeak with every slight movement of the foot/ankle. A few bikers in New Zealand who have the same pair of boots are rather disapointed with this small error as such. As you are well aware Alpinestars are a fantastic product, and a small oversight such as this sqeaking issue might cause future damage to your sales record. In New Zealand your product is not the cheapest on the market, and with a small annoying problem such as sqeaking boots, it might encourage potential buyers to look towards other brands.

Here is the topic discussion, from a very popular New Zealand biker forum, about the boots with other riders who are having the same problem.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=257362#post257362

Regards

Tammy (Surname)

~~~

I also just realised that I've been spelling "sqeaking" when it is actually "squeaking" :doh:

[Edit] I placed that on the Feedback section of the Alpinestars web-site and also e-mailed the support for the foot wear section.

NC
8th June 2005, 17:10
Yeah everyone knows when your coming... or even when your just standing still and your ankle moves slightly...

SQEAKKKKK SQEAKKKKKKKKK SQEAKKKKKKKKK

lol so damn annoying... I'm going to have a look tonight for CRC/Beeswax and/or WD40

It's a shame... I wouldn't have expected this from an Alpinestars product
:lol: When I was coming back from the South Island, I even got hassled by some other bikers on the ferry... :whistle:

placidfemme
8th June 2005, 18:10
:lol: When I was coming back from the South Island, I even got hassled by some other bikers on the ferry... :whistle:

Yeah I get hassled by everyone, my partner, my boss, the security team at work, my landlord (whose a biker... has a nice Buell), my family... even the guy at the gas station commented on my squeaks...

I know the people at Alpinestars have read my e-mail (read reciept... got to love Outlook) but I've recieved nothing back... but thats about what I expected.

Ixion
8th June 2005, 18:17
Yeah I get hassled by everyone, my partner, my boss, the security team at work, my landlord (whose a biker... has a nice Buell), my family... even the guy at the gas station commented on my squeaks...

I know the people at Alpinestars have read my e-mail (read reciept... got to love Outlook) but I've recieved nothing back... but thats about what I expected.

Tis maybe the middle of the night there ? I'm pretty sure you'll receive some sort of reply. How useful it is may be another matter .

placidfemme
10th June 2005, 07:11
Well I got a reply from them.

~~~~

Hi Tammy,

I just had the opportunity to read your Email regarding your remark on our SMX 3 GTX boots and apologize for answering you only today!

I understood your remark and I also went to see the forum you have indicated me on your Email.

Kindly allow me to explain you the reason for this: unfortunately this is a kind of problem that many boots (from many brands) con show sometimes. Racing boots in order to guarantee more safety in case of impact are often constructed with several polyurethane shields. These shields allow a superior grade of protection but also allow to companies to offer a more interesting design.

Working with this material, depending on some walking styles or better depending on some people natural movement, can make it happen that one shield touches the other or that the shield gets in continuous contact with the Lorica (being also a material of synthetic derivation). The result is exactly that “squeeking” you do mention me.

Please understand that this is simply the natural result that sometimes can happen but 99% of the times it finds a very easy and simple solution in just using silicon spray on that part. This operation has to be repeated, depending on the use but also on the climate condition, each 1 to 2 months and is normally simply considered “maintenance”.

Please try this and in case you still feel the problem not being solved just please contact me again and I will be pleased to assist you and eventually bring you in contact with our distributor in NZ who will help you and doubtless find the very best solution for your highest satisfaction!

Looking forward hearing from you very soon I wish you all the best and remain with,

Best Regards

Silvio Brunner

Sales Dept.

Alpinestars S.p.a.

Asolo, Italy

Tel. (+39) 0423 5286

Fax. (+39) 0423 529571

email: sales2@alpinestars.com

www.alpinestars.com

~~~~

All is said and done... good on them for replying anyway :)

k14
10th June 2005, 08:06
damn, astars just went up one notch in my book.

placidfemme
10th June 2005, 08:09
damn, astars just went up one notch in my book.

Yeah in mine too, I honestly wasn't expecting a reply. Good on them!

placidfemme
10th June 2005, 11:05
I just got back from Red Baron (snapped speedo cable) and while I was there one of the mechanics commented on my squeaky boots, the rest the mechanics laughed at me... and one mechanic got a tin of CRC and sprayed my boots for me... they are now PERFECT. No noise at all.

*is as happy as Larry*

bungbung
10th June 2005, 11:30
My Oxtar boots came with a small bottle of silicone oil.

placidfemme
10th June 2005, 11:47
My Oxtar boots came with a small bottle of silicone oil.

They should supply such lubricants with all boots that have the slightest potential of making annoying squeaking noises... :)