PDA

View Full Version : Shark S500 Air Helmet

no_8wire
29th September 2010, 09:31
The combined factors of a helmet that had become to loose and some extra cash meant that it was time to go shopping for a reasonable helmet without costing the earth.

Had been shopping around online for a while, then realised the only way to get a good fit was to actually go into the shop and try on alot of helmets. (BTW - Advocate trying on alot of helmets. Depending on the brand I was a large, a medium, and even a small...)
Decided to visit cycletreads...

Spent the next 45min with a staff member helping me with different helmets, options etc, all within the price range I said I was willing to spend.

Ended up going with a Oxford BZ-1 (with internal visor) however the inner visor has a lip on the lower edge that disorts your vision when looking at your instruments ...so returned the next day.

Subsquently picked up a Shark S500 Air that was on sale.

First impressions? Seemed a little over the top in the styling department.
But it fitted well with good support in the cheeks which alot of other helmets I tried on were lacking.

Having ridden in it for a week the impressions now are as follows:
- Fogging Visor. With my HJC I would need to crack the visor sub 70km to prevent fogging. Havent needed to crack visor once in the Shark as it hasnt not fogged up, even when stationary. Although this is fine now it is warming up, the extra airflow maybe an issue in the colder months.

- Noise. This helmet is quite a bit noiser than the HJC, I guess as a result of the extra air flow as well as cut of the lower edge of the helmet.

- Stablity. The styling appears to be for more than just looking good. Seems to be more stable in the wind with less pressure on neck which is always good. However could also be a result of a properly fitting helmet.

- Glasses. Having to wear glasses when you ride, it can be an issue to find helmets that you can fit them in. However this helmet is the easiest helmet I have worn to fit glasses without excess pressure to the side of your temples.

-Safety. As well as been rated to the standard E2 rating it also has a 4 star SHARP rating.

All in all the Shark S500 Air seems to be great helmet for a good price that should I stack it, I would have no problems replacing it with another.

Jonno.
29th September 2010, 13:05
Definitely recommend all sharks value for money.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shark-s500-air

4 Star rating too.

Rayray401
29th September 2010, 13:19
S800 is nice too!

NONONO
2nd October 2010, 05:55
Got one myself, and it's bloody noisy IMO.
For the first week I thought the bike had developed a fault, can hear every sound.
Have ridden all winter and it is a bit chilley..but for the price???:yes:

no_8wire
4th October 2010, 08:43
Yeap I was a little freaked out noticing more sounds from the engine on the way to work the next day, but figured it was prob the helmet letting in more noise than the engine suddenly developing a fault (esp went all fluids still showed as fine) at the same time as changing the helmet.

R6_kid
4th October 2010, 16:10
As soon as it rains, or there is a cold breeze you're gonna get annoyed. There is no way to close the three vents on the top. Thankfully for me I dropped my helmet and smashed the middle one off, the outside two have been covered with duct tape for nearly two years now. Rather noisy helmet due to the design, but comfortable and affordable. Hope you didn't pay too much, I picked mine up for around $160 back in 2008.

no_8wire
7th December 2011, 19:44
Well I can write a review on this helmet. Protects your head from major injury!

Had an accident apparently today.Got smashed by a truck doing a right hand turn in front/into me on my bike...on quay st

Woke up 25min later with cops in ambulance. Apparently it was quite spectacular and I went flying....from my bike back up onto the footpath.
Totalled the motorbike, leathers did their job no cuts or grazes just a broken wrist , sore back, thigh and foot.

Still cant remember 10min before, the accident or directly after the crash though. But im alive and mostly well.

JustNick
7th December 2011, 20:02
Well I can write a review on this helmet. Protects your head from major injury!

Had an accident apparently today.Got smashed by a truck doing a right hand turn in front/into me on my bike...on quay st

Woke up 25min later with cops in ambulance. Apparently it was quite spectacular and I went flying....from my bike back up onto the footpath.
Totalled the motorbike, leathers did their job no cuts or grazes just a broken wrist , sore back, thigh and foot.

Still cant remember 10min before, the accident or directly after the crash though. But im alive and mostly well.

Sorry to read about your spill mate. Glad to hear that you're (relatively) ok.