PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Unmarked Police Cars in Welly

riffer
27th November 2003, 15:53
Gidday all.

Public Service announcement to all Hutt Motorway riders:

Seen on the Hutt Motorway this arvo going home. Two new unmarked Police Cars - silver XR6 Ford Falcons, reg BQL659 and BQL660.

Both checking out the traffic, one went off at Melling and the other stopped just before Belmont turnoff and checked traffic speed.

oh, and my speeding ticket arrived today :angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2::angry2::a ngry2:

k14
27th November 2003, 16:05
Dammit!!! Now i have to scope for fords and holdens!!!

Was it a turbo one??

Nouseforaname
27th November 2003, 17:00
Has any body else in Auckland seen the crazy cars the cops are using to catch boy racers in town? i was riding up queen st only to see a 1970's something holden kingswood ute pulling somebody over, also 4 weeks ago when i was travelling down the south auckland motorway i saw a lowered mitsi legnum on 17" mags pulling some un-suspecting boy racer.

They must be using there new confiscation laws and taking the boy racers cars, putting lights and sirens in them and taking them on the prowl, only to remove them once the 28days is up....................would not surprise me in the slightest.

Timber020
27th November 2003, 17:29
I was suprised enough to see the white holden vectra the other day as a copper, but I guess its been around the Hutt for a while

riffer
27th November 2003, 18:00
Not that it makes much difference, but they are not turbo XR6's.

georgedubyabush
27th November 2003, 21:54
Originally posted by Nouseforaname
Has any body else in Auckland seen the crazy cars the cops are using to catch boy racers in town? i was riding up queen st only to see a 1970's something holden kingswood ute pulling somebody over, also 4 weeks ago when i was travelling down the south auckland motorway i saw a lowered mitsi legnum on 17" mags pulling some un-suspecting boy racer.

They must be using there new confiscation laws and taking the boy racers cars, putting lights and sirens in them and taking them on the prowl, only to remove them once the 28days is up....................would not surprise me in the slightest.

that's just not cricket

Lou Girardin
28th November 2003, 07:23
I doubt that the cops are using impounded cars, that's conversion.
But they do have a wide and varied range of covert vehicles for surveillance work, unusual for them to be used for traffic though.
If you did a runner from one they'd never be able to get a conviction for failing to stop. There's no way they'd prove that you knew it was a cop.
Lou

aff-man
28th November 2003, 10:00
What out aucklanders a saw a bloody GMC of hugh ford type truck unmarked ,black, and full of armed police pulling people over along mission bay?????????

duckman
28th November 2003, 10:06
Jesus Aff-Man, string the sentence together with words that we can all understand will ya .....:p :p

Firefight
28th November 2003, 10:34
Originally posted by aff-man
What out aucklanders a saw a bloody GMC of hugh ford type truck unmarked ,black, and full of armed police pulling people over along mission bay?????????

Armed offender squad, or even worse the special tacitical assult team, it it is the latter don,t fuck with them, they normally drive around in black nissan patrols, (4x4) with big flat roof racks., I think they may be deployed down Wairoa atm

firefight

jrandom
28th November 2003, 11:16
Originally posted by Firefight
the special tacitical assult team, it it is the latter don,t fuck with them

Special tactical assault team? Is that like an anti-terrorism unit? Cool, I didn't know we had one of those.

The important question is, of course, do they have any P90s? Assault teams are boring unless they have P90s.

And for that matter, why shouldn't we fuck with them? What are they gonna do, shoot us? That'd go down well. "Secret Police Assault Squad Guns Down Unarmed Motorcyclist"

(well, for certain values of 'unarmed', anyway :p)

marty
28th November 2003, 11:21
it is not unheard of to use impounded cars that have had ownership passed to the tow firm (after 56 days of impound).

i'd be surprised if an impounded legnum would be ignored by it's owner. perhaps they have a friendly at a car yard.

Lou Girardin
28th November 2003, 12:27
If they impounded my bike/car, I'd be visiting it everyday.
Lou

scumdog
29th November 2003, 15:56
Your'e all paranoid - the bogey man is going to get you -0000000000H!
Just ride, keep your eyes open and if you get pinged and given a ticket - harden up and stop whinging, softcocks

mangell6
29th November 2003, 17:00
Scumdog - well said.

three months to go and I can get a real ticket again :p

Timber020
30th November 2003, 10:26
You have to be a little paranoid, I have seen cops up here on foot hiding behind powerpoles, behind temporary plastic works barriers, operating off overpasses and operating all sorts of mufti cars.
Paranoid? Hell yeah, when I ride to work I take different routes and I know for a fact that they have been waiting on one road with 2 cops cars at 7 in the morning for me. (they nabbed a workmate and said that they were there at that time to get a guy on a bike that fitted my description.)
Perhaps the cops arent as serious down your ways or riding a cruiser limits the severity of the ticket you can get:p
I dont want a ticket and will be as paranoid as I need to be to avoid them (this side of riding to the letter of the law of course).
I have had one ticket in the last 3 years and took it without complaint, but more may mean no more bike riding and that would make me a seathing ball of darkness.

And you wouldnt like me when Im a seathing ball of darkness.

marty
30th November 2003, 12:04
fuck some people smoke WAY too much cannabis. lighten up for fucks sake

Timber020
30th November 2003, 20:53
Its not cannibis mate, its motul! (castol makes my powervalves all to sticky)

750Y
1st December 2003, 15:32
Originally posted by Firefight
Armed offender squad, or even worse the special tacitical assult team, it it is the latter don,t fuck with them...they may be deployed down Wairoa atm
firefight

lol, aahh fond memories of the town where i was born. ;-)
nice to know some things never change.
Also I remember cops in the Hutt used to drive around in an unmarked old hq & also a viva. they've been doing it for ages.
I've heard of the cops in OZ having unmarked bikes too 8-(.

LB
1st December 2003, 18:24
Thanks for the info Celticno6. Will keep our eyes peeled.

Lynda

Coldkiwi
2nd December 2003, 09:48
word from our friend Andrew is that he nearly got pulled by a piggy in a early 90's mazda familia hatch coming over the bridge this morning.

I counted three marked cars on my commute on the motorway this morning (one HP sedan, one HP ute, one Gen duties) and have seen two different unmarked commodores pulling boy racers over in the last two days on Casurina Drive in Howick.

They seem awfully busy and ingenious all of a sudden... must be a clamp down to make themselves look good for the end of year.what is it with those boys? have they not got more important robberies/rapes/assaults to follow up on??? I'd really rather see them publish the headline '95% of burglary and assault cases followed up and arrests made in 2003' than 'we're wasting our 2003 budget putting 180 new cars on the road to punish you for exceeding 10kmhr over the limit'.

How about we get to vote for the police commissioner as well as our politicians?? I think that would spark a real change in positive attitudes.

Coldkiwi
2nd December 2003, 09:54
Originally posted by 750Y
I've heard of the cops in OZ having unmarked bikes too 8-(.

yeah, it could be worse here. Superbike Mag published an article a year or two back that exposayed (sp?) the vehicles the UK gatso have to play with... included poxy opels of course but also some turboed volvos and (shudder) some unmarked CBR 900 fireblades!!

BASTARDS! :angry2:

marty
2nd December 2003, 23:12
cops are hunting the boy racers at the moment so their cars are impounded over the xmas break

Lou Girardin
9th December 2003, 09:42
It might be paranoia, but traffic enforcement has become intensive near my home since I started winding the cops and LTSA up in the media. Before that I hardly saw a cop.
Lou

riffer
9th December 2003, 09:58
Interestingly, they've added a motorcycle cop to my local travelling route now.

He pulled out just behind me at Moonshine Road turnoff (River Road) and I'm thinking bugger no lane splitting today at all. That's going to add another 20 minutes to my 25 minute road to work.

So we get to the slowdown just after Melling and lo and behold he starts splitting right down the middle of the lanes, weaving from left to right lane.

Well, if its good enough for him, its good enough for me, so I start following him.

We go about a km or two through the traffic until nearly at the Korokoro lights, and inexplicably he turns his lights on and pulls over some young woman in a Vitara.

I sheepishly kept going, hoping like hell that he didn't see me and once 500m away just pull b a c k on that throttle a bit more :2thumbsup

Got to work on time YAY!!

Coldkiwi
9th December 2003, 11:01
nice one celtic! I love days like that when the cops pull off or someone else over instead of making you sit behind the rest of the lemmings :)

k14
9th December 2003, 11:33
You need to get a photo of that. So when one of us gets done, we can bring out the photo!!!

Timber020
9th December 2003, 18:17
The LTSA is puting a HEAP of money (and I mean heap!)into to traffic side of the police but no real directive or strategy has been formed, they are just using the funds to bust people without paying any real heed to the road toll, driving trends or real saftey issues. LTSA wants results for what they are putting in but hasnt worked out exactly what results exacty, aside for it being "safer" on the road. Police have nothing to do to show for performance other than tickets and pull overs, hence more of them.

I kinda know this this but im not supposed to know this.

What?
10th December 2003, 07:58
I would have thought it quite simple - they want a simple finacial gain. Invest a dollar into the police, the consolidated fund gets a nett return exceeding a dollar.

The insulting thing is that they seem to think that the average Joe can't figure that out.:angry2:

ManDownUnder
10th December 2003, 08:06
Originally posted by Lou Girardin
I doubt that the cops are using impounded cars, that's conversion.
But they do have a wide and varied range of covert vehicles for surveillance work, unusual for them to be used for traffic though.
If you did a runner from one they'd never be able to get a conviction for failing to stop. There's no way they'd prove that you knew it was a cop.
Lou

I hate to say it but the lights and sirens (that would have to be fitted and going at the time of course)... would be enough for the court.

But you are right re conversion. A while ago (10+ years) they had a Mark iV Cortina gitted out with a 5 litre in line 4!. Itt took off like a scared rabbit but had not such a hot top speed... a mate of mine helped build the thing and the flying squad (doies that still exist??) chased won all the boys around the place. I think there was some public debate over whether it was baiting them to speed, therefore questioning the legality of it but that all died down.

Good luck wih the cops... or... stay within the law :-)
MDU

Coldkiwi
10th December 2003, 11:29
Originally posted by ManDownUnder

Good luck wih the cops... or... stay within the law :-)
MDU

...by buying a GN 250 :)

ManDownUnder
10th December 2003, 11:45
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
...by buying a GN 250 :)

oooOOOooo - no fair. There are 30kph areas you know (assuming the GN can make it THROUGH the shingle on the road).

As a kid my mate used to have one - called it the Gutless Nothing.

To be fair though - a good starter bike, but I hope the handling has improved over the years.

riffer
10th December 2003, 12:03
They can't be too slow. A mate of mine managed to kill himself about ten years ago on one in Masterton.

Committed all the mistakes... rode drunk, in the rain, hauled the brakes on when he slid on the railway tracks on the corner - all the while target fixating on the nearby lampost ... which was what killed him (well six weeks later the pneumonia got him - but anyway hitting the lampost split his brains two hemisphere's apart).

Anyway, since then I've not been a fan of GN250s.:(

jrandom
10th December 2003, 12:15
Originally posted by celticno6
They can't be too slow. A mate of mine managed to kill himself about ten years ago on one in Masterton.

Committed all the mistakes... rode drunk, in the rain, hauled the brakes on when he slid on the railway tracks on the corner - all the while target fixating on the nearby lampost ... which was what killed him (well six weeks later the pneumonia got him - but anyway hitting the lampost split his brains two hemisphere's apart).

Anyway, since then I've not been a fan of GN250s.:(

er... doesn't sound like the bike's flaws, whatever they may be, had much to do with that accident.

riffer
10th December 2003, 12:17
I never said my mate was perfect...:p

But his bike was pretty shitty too.

ManDownUnder
10th December 2003, 12:38
I never said my mate was perfect...:p

But his bike was pretty shitty too.

GN250 issues aside... sorry to hear about the loss mate. Always bad to hear about things like that. When all is said and done, blame can be cast in all directions - the fact remains... he was a mate

MDU

jrandom
10th December 2003, 12:55
his bike was pretty shitty too

Oh yes, GN250s are shitty, no doubt about it. They're just shitty in a kind of useful, nonthreatening, handles OK, not gonna cost a lot to run kinda way :cool:

And I'm not going to pass comment on motorcycling accidents I don't know about firsthand so... meh.