PDA

View Full Version : 2003 VFR800 with Staintune pipes

CRM
30th September 2010, 13:53
VFR800 Sports/Tourer with Staintune pipes and Fuel Injection module. Sounds awesome and goes great. With the Vtec once you hit 7000 rpm it transforms from a tourer into a full-on sports bike. I've ridden a few VFR's and this one is the best in every way.

It had a full service at local Honda dealer at 42000. Had a new rear tyre (Pilot Road 2 dual compound) at 41000 so still like new. Front is Metzeler Roadtech Z6 - still got a few thousand km's use in it (I'm not a hard rider!).

Has been well looked after, previous owner also middled aged like me and had it immaculate. It's showing a couple of marks from me dropping it in a car-park when I had it loaded up with gear. Just a bit of a scratch on the left fairing and I broke both mirrors. These have been replaced with after-market ones. A couple of minor scratches on the tank came from the same incident (trying to save it from falling and grabbing the tank bag I guess). There is also a little rub on the right side panel from a saddle bag not quite positioned right.

Most of the panels and the forks have plastic protection film on them so generally very tidy and like new.

I put the Ventura rack on it for touring but it comes with the rear seat cowling so you can take of the rack and make it look like a very cool single-seater.

I've done 10,000km on it in six months and it's been an absolute pleasure to own. Most of my riding is distance touring for my work. I'd love to keep it but circumstances have changed so surplus to requirements.

Bike is in Whangarei but I do regular trips to Auckland so could possibly view there. Mileage may go up depending on how long it takes to sell. Please ask questions or come and have a look.

Also listed on TM listing 321342738.220082220081220080220078220079220083

CRM
18th October 2010, 13:37
Could do a swap with some cash my way for:
BMW tourer
Yamaha FJ1200
Yamaha XJR1200
Yamaha TDM
Triumph Thunderbird
Triumph Bonneville
Triumph Trophy
Honda ST1100
Honda CB1000
Honda Hornet 919
Kawasaki GT1000
Suzuki Bandit 1200
or similar...:scooter:

CRM
22nd October 2010, 09:07
Dropped to $7495 if someone buys it this week - seen a bike I like :drool:

CRM
27th October 2010, 09:59
$7495 :yes: Or near offer...:shutup: or swap for a CT110?:facepalm: with panniers?:gob:

CRM
2nd November 2010, 08:49
Just had 48,000km service at local Honda shop - fluids, filters, new front brake pads and also replaced the cam chain tensioner which was making a little noise. All sweet to go - still open to offers.

vifferman
2nd November 2010, 17:54
You must be desperate to sell - your price is rather low. :blink:

zeocen
2nd November 2010, 18:00
You could make a little moolah on the side by swapping your pipes with mine + cash your way :D

....I'll see myself out.. :(

CRM
3rd November 2010, 09:20
You must be desperate to sell - your price is rather low. :blink:

Yeah it's the best value vtec VFR on TM - can't understand why there aren't people falling over themselves to buy it. I guess bikes just aren't selling at the moment unless you basically give them away. Even at that price I could get something really nice as there are some great deals out there. I guess people are interested but like me - have to sell their bike before they can get something else.

I'm doing a trip around the south island in a couple of weeks and would really like to have done a deal before them but not looking so likely at this stage.

CRM
6th November 2010, 13:07
Will be in Auckland on Monday (8th Nov) if anyone wants to catch up and have a look. Send me a pm.

CRM
8th November 2010, 13:37
Will be in Auckland in Thursday with the VFR if anyone wants to meet me to take a look :yes:

CRM
13th November 2010, 17:52
Still got the VFR - I guess everybody out there is like me - got to sell their bike before they can get a tasty bargain :cool:.

Anyway it's your loss because after every bike I ride I get back on the VFR and it's better (except that BMW R1100R of course but it's sold now)!

So it's still for sale but no cheap deals - good honest price of $7995 - you snooze you lose. I'm riding it to Invercargill and back over the next two weeks from Tuesday so mileage will be up a bit but if you have a something you'd like to swap me for it (see list above) or you want to have a look to possibly buy email me and I might be able to call as I'm passing by :scooter:.

CRM
28th November 2010, 17:30
Still no sale... been to Invercargill and back so it will need a service when i get home as it's getting close to 54k. It will be the 'big' service where they do the valve clearances and put new plugs in, plus the front tyre will need replacing. I suspect the rear cam chain tensioner may need doing also (common problem on these - I've had the front one done - some people just ignore the slight ticking noise you get sometimes at slow speeds noise and they never seem to break but I think it's annoying).

So if anyone wants it as is and wants to do the work themselves give me a pm real quick with an offer, otherwise I'll get the work done and hold out for my price.

CRM
8th December 2010, 21:13
Since I got back from my South Island excursion I've been tidying it up. I got rid of the marks on the fairing and put on the seat cowling and with lots of TLC she's looking pretty good. :yes:

I took her to a mates today who is also a photographer and he did a shoot for me. Also stuck my little camera on the tank-bag and did a video of the beast in action so you can hear the pipes and experience the ambiance of it all. :violin:

I love watching the tacho hit 7 - she turns from regular into hot and spicy :shutup:

I took it to the Honda shop today and they said that the other cam chain tensioner is sweet. May need replacing at some stage but not an issue at present. The front tyre will need replacing for the next warrant and it will need a service at 54k which could cost around $700 (it's a big one - plugs and valves checked). I'll be putting it back on TM as an auction once the current listing expires tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StQWyPYSh3M

Highlander
8th December 2010, 21:41
I love watching the tacho hit 7 - she turns from regular into hot and spicy :shutup:

They just go ballistic at that point don't they!
Actually that was one of the things that put me off the VFR, they build up revs fairly quick then launch toward the horizon, but I didn't like the tubo charged sewing machine feeling.

CRM
8th December 2010, 21:54
Actually that was one of the things that put me off the VFR, they build up revs fairly quick then launch toward the horizon, but I didn't like the tubo charged sewing machine feeling.

That's why I love the pipes - lovely rumble before the ballistic whine.

vifferman
9th December 2010, 19:58
What?!? :blink:
That's what I like about the VFR (the non-Vtec one, at least) - the V4 isn't all buzzy like an IL4, but has some character. I really love it when it's hot and has a real off-beat loping idle. Nothing at all like a turbocharged sewing machine. Speaking of turbos: if it wasn't for the diffculty insuring it, I'd whack an A&A supercharger kit on it. US$5k, and it takes the horsepower up to around 185.

Highlander
9th December 2010, 20:01
What?!? :blink:
That's what I like about the VFR (the non-Vtec one, at least) - the V4 isn't all buzzy like an IL4, but has some character. I really love it when it's hot and has a real off-beat loping idle. Nothing at all like a turbocharged sewing machine. Speaking of turbos: if it wasn't for the diffculty insuring it, I'd whack an A&A supercharger kit on it. US$5k, and it takes the horsepower up to around 185.

That is one of the cool things about motorcyclists. We are all as different as the bikes we ride.

BMWST?
9th December 2010, 20:04
what is the tank capacity on these and what is your normal range..

Swoop
9th December 2010, 20:20
Tank should hold ~23litres.
Range should be around 375kms.

CRM
9th December 2010, 22:20

When I was tripping around the country I would generally fill up around the 300-320km mark which was about 17-18 litres. I went to 350km once but obviously still had plenty there because it was around the 20litre to fill. So getting 5.5 - 6.2 litres per 100k on average I would say. As Swoop said potentially that's around 375km if you ran it right down.

I've set up as an auction now with new photos and link to the video where you can hear the music from the pipes and see the it working through some corners. TM is now http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=339606598 (video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StQWyPYSh3M )

BMWST?
10th December 2010, 10:11
When I was tripping around the country I would generally fill up around the 300-320km mark which was about 17-18 litres. I went to 350km once but obviously still had plenty there because it was around the 20litre to fill. So getting 5.5 - 6.2 litres per 100k on average I would say. As Swoop said potentially that's around 375km if you ran it right down.

I've set up as an auction now with new photos and link to the video where you can hear the music from the pipes and see the it working through some corners. TM is now http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=339606598 (video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StQWyPYSh3M )

do they have a old skool reserve tap or is just lights and mirrors?

CRM
10th December 2010, 11:33
do they have a old skool reserve tap or is just lights and mirrors?

Just a series of rectangles on the display. When you get to around 300km the last one starts flashing and you start looking for a fill station.

CRM
14th December 2010, 08:15
I've bought another bike - Transalp 650. So the VFR has got to go. Auction closes tomorrow night - reserve is low :yes:. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=339606598

This is the best value V-tec VFR out there at the moment. :bye:

skinny
15th December 2010, 21:46
Would you take 6500?

CRM
20th December 2010, 20:26
Coming around again - get yourself a Christmas present - $6600 will own her tomorrow if you bid (and no-one else does)... :woohoo:

CRM
23rd December 2010, 19:58
Sold - thanks Skinny :yes: