PDA

View Full Version : YOUR address available on web through your rego.

Mudfart
4th October 2010, 19:15
Dunno if its been mentioned, but as of this month, the grubbermint has started a new initiative that means ANYONE can punch your rego plate into the interwebby thing, and get your address. you can go online, somewhere, and excuse yourself from the "initiative".

dogsnbikes
4th October 2010, 19:21
Think this is what your after

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information-law-changes.html

JimO
4th October 2010, 19:22
they just have to read the signwriting on mine to know who ownes it

Virago
4th October 2010, 19:29
Dunno if its been mentioned, but as of this month, the grubbermint has started a new initiative that means ANYONE can punch your rego plate into the interwebby thing, and get your address. you can go online, somewhere, and excuse yourself from the "initiative".

Gah. Thud.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

mashman
4th October 2010, 20:11

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/information-law-changes.html

Cheers. I've been meaning to do this... The car went through fine, but the Prila didn't go through. Odd after being registered for 4 straight years. Perhaps i'll ask when I pay the AA a visit.

davereid
5th October 2010, 18:20

Tis the other way around.. they have ALWAYS been able to find you name and address.

Now you can opt-out.

But the default should be that you have to OPT-IN.

Why should data that you have to provide the government, even if you don't want to, be shared with anyone without your authority ?

Write to this plonker if it pisses you off : s.joyce@ministers.govt.nz

fliplid
5th October 2010, 19:29
:facepalm: Gits! Gets all the way through to the end bit, then says "an error has occurred", etc... :angry:

davereid
5th October 2010, 21:09
:facepalm: Gits! Gets all the way through to the end bit, then says "an error has occurred", etc... :angry:

The "online" opt out is the NZTAs way of making YOU do all the work opting out.

Why not send them a letter asking them to do it ? Quote licence number and regos if you wish. Of course I bet the legislation doesn't require you to list all the vehicles, NZTA are just saving themselves work. Otherwise you have to do this every time you register a vehicle, which seems mad if your intention is clear.

Gubb
5th October 2010, 21:22
Bam.

Just opted out, thanks for the link, but a pity about the scare-mongering stated by the OP that is only a few decades too late.

Then again, it got my attention, so kudos.

Subike
5th October 2010, 21:26

Thanks for the link, just went there and completed the opt out process for my four vehicles no worries at all
A very easy operstion took less than 5 min

NZ Transport Agency
Transport Registry Centre
Private Bag 11777
Manawatu Mail Centre
Palmerston North 4442

NZ Transport Agency reference number: XXXXXXX
Transaction date/time: 5 Oct 2010 10:23 p.m.
Your transaction is complete. Personal information (including name and address) held on the Motor Vehicle Register for the vehicles listed will no longer be disclosed to third-parties authorised by the Ministry of Transport.
Authorised access to your personal details has been revoked for the following vehicles:
Plate Year Make Model Colour
XXXXX 1979 YAMAHA XS1100F BLACK
XXXX 2001 TRAILER JIG BLUE
XXXXXX 1983 DAIHATSU V54T RED
XXXXXX 1988 NISSAN NAVARA WHITE

They even send you conformation for your record !

jaykay
22nd January 2011, 07:41
Time for a thread bump.

The law is changing on April 1st, so revoke access to all your vehicle details now.

This should stop harrasment from ALL private parking companies whose unenforceable invoices will become will become even more unenforceable.

In the meantime if you should get such an invoice for overstaying at a shopping mall, and feel the inclination to actually reply, try this:

"Dear Sir, I am on the toilet with your letter in front of me, soon it will be behind me"

Don't ever send any money.

Gremlin
22nd January 2011, 13:45
Timely reminder... just changed to another bike.

Question. Is the opt-out on each vehicle, or each person. Ergo, if I opted out my old bike, and now someone else has it, how does that get treated? Is the bike still opted out, or automatically becomes opted in again?

davereid
22nd January 2011, 14:48
Timely reminder... just changed to another bike.

Question. Is the opt-out on each vehicle, or each person. Ergo, if I opted out my old bike, and now someone else has it, how does that get treated? Is the bike still opted out, or automatically becomes opted in again?

In spite of my bitch in October, the NZTA opt out system seems to work quite well.

I opted out, and even though I had more vehicles than the system could enter, it actually opted me out of all the others as well.

And when I purchased a new vehicle, it seemed to have been automatically added to the opt out list.

Gremlin
22nd January 2011, 15:26
Interesting. I opted out on the old bike, but I had to go through and opt out on the new one.

awa355
24th January 2011, 08:01

You speld gummimit wong. :eek:

Had a friend who got a confidential ph no. from Telecom. That didn't stop them from selling his number to the telemarketing crowd.
I think I will get myself 'excused' just for the hell of it.