PDA

View Full Version : MX boot opinions

RJM
5th October 2010, 09:21
Hi all,

I've had a quick search but thought I'd still post up anyway.

I'm coming up to my first anniversary of riding, have done 70 hours in this time with my first pair of boots being No Fear Trophees. After this time they're a bit tatty, the layered plastic/rubber on the toes has fallen apart quite badly.

A couple of weeks ago I was up at Woodhill out the back on one of the red tracks. Was on a nice sweeping up hill bit in the top of 3rd gear, my foot was on the highside peg and I hit something with one hell of an impact which fractured a bone in my foot. I'm now in a moon boot for a month. Whatever it was that I hit managed to puncture straight through my boot.

The question I have is Torpedo7 have Trophees on a super special this week for $130ish... Do I get these again and run them until they die like the first pair or do I splash out and get some Alpinestars etc. Are they THAT much safer etc?

barty5
5th October 2010, 10:04
Ive sashed and hit all sorts thing in the last 1 1/2 years with my Fox f3s still together although i have just put new soles on them personally id rather spend a bit more on boot and gear and walk away from an off than have cheap stuff that get you by.
Old story get what you pay for. No name brand labels will always be cheap and little or no real research put into development etc etc out for a quick $$$$.
Just look at all the cheap arse car tyre you can buy pass a wof ok but would you real want to count on them when you needed them too. I wouldnt

K6K
5th October 2010, 11:04
I started on Fox F3's which seemed to have good protection but the buckles were useless. I found the Fox's very heavy and very large around the toes (so much so I had trouble changing gear (but I do wear size 13/14s so this may not affect others). I now have Gaerne SG10's which are fantastic and don't have any of the problems I had with the Fox's. You do get what you pay for, in protection and/or comfort/weight.

wingman7nz
5th October 2010, 11:16
i use Gaerme SG10 (equivalent to alpine stars tech 10) have found them a very hard wearing durable protective bit of kit.. they are not the lightest boot out there but i prefer to have protective boots rather than lightweight. Think Gaerme are Ryan dungeys boot sponsor..

RJM
5th October 2010, 11:17
I'm also a size 12/13 so a smaller fitting boot is preferred. Hadn't thought about the sole either, I do know my right foot is starting to peel apart. Like I said though it was my first boot and first year of riding so reasonably happy with what I got out of them.

Cyclespot have some Tech8's for $650 although they are show pony red / white.

D3ALN
5th October 2010, 11:23
All my mates have the thor Quadrants they seem to be ok so I got the same only worn once though so cant really comment

2fitty
5th October 2010, 17:39
ive got some tech 3's lower down on the alpinestar list but still excellent boots, and would def buy again, think i saw some on t7 awhile back for a bout $350, which is a good buy i think, for a decent boot, if you dont want to spend all of your pocket $.

meteor
5th October 2010, 19:05
Plus 1 for Alpine Star Tech 3's.
I also belted a tree stump with the outside of my boot and got a huge bruise covering my whole foot.. didn't break anything tho'.

RJM
5th October 2010, 19:15
Just had a look at the Tech3s. They look like a nice 'shoe' profile looking boot. Will have to find some to try on.

Not that we plan accidents but it certianly happened out of the blue, looked back and couldn't figure out what I'd actually hit.

Pic attached of my current Thor boot - bit of a running joke with the nurses. Good bunch of nurses at Ascot A&E, nice being on a first name basis when you walk through the door.

Shadykiwi
5th October 2010, 22:29
They have been great for protection but one part that annoys me is the ribbing on the back, right against your archiles. It tends to start breaking away from the rest of the boot and now leaks like a sift. I will be looking seriously at the SG10 next time. Have to admit though the Alpine Stars are super comfy

SpikedPunch
6th October 2010, 07:13
I had fox boots and they were rubbish. Started falling apart on my first ride. They were cheap though and I made them last for almost two years, but they were missing straps and had holes from the kickstart by the time I stopped wearing them. I have some Stella tech 6's now that I got for super cheap off of btosports.com. The quality is about a billion times better. They are more comfy to wear off the bat, but also feel safer and tougher. I did chew a little bit off the sole on one side slipping on a footpeg on one of my first rides out in them which was a bit disappointing, but you can buy re-soleing kits for them I think. They haven't sustained any more damage since then.
Plus they look cool :shifty:

Assasin
6th October 2010, 09:49
Just because something doesn’t have a big brand name doesn’t mean the quality is poor, There are such things as start up companies how do think the big companies started.

Also all the "Brand Names" are now nearly all made in China.

Why do you think China is full of copies mostly because the factory making them decided to rip them off and name then something else.

L Rider
6th October 2010, 09:55
personally i think the fit is the most important thing - not the brand etc. If its not a decent fit and your ankle can move to much then you are risking more injuries because of it.
I struggled to find a boot that fitted me and felt comfortable. All kinds of things were wrong with them - i will admit i didnt try on the most expensive boots as we couldn't afford them.
In the end the Thor Quadrant (or whatever they're called) fitted me the best.

John has fox which fitted him the best and his have held out well and they've had a hammering. Few bits of stitching coming undone now but he's had them a few years.

tommorth
6th October 2010, 19:32
sidi crossfires you can walk normaly, light comfy as, waterproof ,my feet have hit loads of stumps roots with them even a large rock that I though was sand at ahipara and if you get the srs version soles are only 40 bucks and can be changed in under 20 minutes . PLus most parts of the boot can be replaced.

takitimu
7th October 2010, 11:11
Sidi Crossfire, Tech 8/10, Gaerne SG10/12, TCX Pro2

Pick your poison, tech 10's seem more SX orientated.

The tech8's don't have the ankle rotation but they are bulletproof, personally I like my SG10's & I'll stick Gaerne.

I figure once you start playing where stumps are, ultra strong boots are pretty important.

cs363
7th October 2010, 18:15
The tech8's don't have the ankle rotation but they are bulletproof, personally I like my SG10's & I'll stick Gaerne.

Ankle rotation? If you are referring to the bio-mechanical ankle brace on the Tech 10 inner bootie then you are incorrect - all Alpinestars MX boots from the Tech 3 up have an ankle brace built into the boot, the T10 is the exception where it is built into the inner bootie. The T8 inner bootie is purely for fit.
Both the T8 and T10 are more oriented towards serious racers, but the T10 actually has higher impact protection and also carries the weight lower in the boot. The T10 also provides more feel in comparison to the T8.

That said, all the brands you listed are good boots, basically anything designed and/or made in Italy are generally a cut above the rest. Note that most Italian brands are moving to manufacturing offshore, as is the case with most things these days.

gwynfryn
7th October 2010, 19:53
Can't recommend O'neil boots at all.Top of their line , a dozen rides old and the plastic on the inside of the boots has completely fractured as well as braking away from the sole. The plastic bumper repairer couldn't help. Looks like a duct tape job then new boots.

mfordy
8th October 2010, 09:58
I started out with a cheap pair of No Fear Trophies but replaced them last year with Tech 3's - awesome boot. Talk to Scotty, he'll do you a good deal on them.

vazza
8th October 2010, 16:32
Gaerne SG12

Cant beat them, longest lasting sole, most durable boot, awesome traction. Last for years.

I can get them for a pretty good price if you are interested.

Jay GTI
9th October 2010, 15:00
Tech 3s are awesome for the money. I have chunky as hell calves and normally have to buy size 11's to get the to close comfortably around them (normally a 9). Tech 3 size 9s fit perfectly.

RJM
9th October 2010, 16:07
Now that you say that Jay GTI, I wear knee pads under my pants and the Trophees struggle to fit around leaving a nice big opening for water and any other muck.

Thanks for the opinions everyone, will get out next weekend try a few different styles on.

cheese
9th October 2010, 20:28
I've been pretty much put off Fox, I've got a set of F3's they were horribly uncomfortable and I hated them. The pants I had were very restrictive and did not last well at all. And lastly the Fox gloves I had lasted about 1/4 of the time my Alpinestars ones did.

I've got a set of the No Fear boots now and my only issue is that they are really narrow around the leg. I've not got big legs either.

If you hit something hard enough, no matter what boot you are wearing, you will hurt yourself. Get something reasonable and not too expensive is my rule of thumb.

CHOPPA
9th October 2010, 20:55
I have had alpinestars since I was 8. Needed a new set of MX boots and couldnt justify the $$$ for the amount i ride so i got some $180 no fear boots and im extremely impressed!!

I still run alpinestar on the road bike, they are still the benchmark

takitimu
9th October 2010, 23:52
Gaerne SG12

Cant beat them, longest lasting sole, most durable boot, awesome traction. Last for years.

I can get them for a pretty good price if you are interested.

I want some of those, but my SG10's won't wear out :facepalm:

vazza
10th October 2010, 14:09
I want some of those, but my SG10's won't wear out :facepalm:

Haha!! Mike Skinner has only just changed his SG12 soles after 150odd hours. Or thereabouts. That's a lot of intense racing ;P

honda_power
10th October 2010, 14:31
my $200 Gaernes have done over 600 hours, sure theyr ripped and beaten up and the metal toe things have fallen off but they still work... and iv NEVER done the soles on them. good brand

clmintie
10th October 2010, 15:25
I got some Tech3's from Scott and liked them straight away, very little run-in time and seem to be lasting well....... Had 661s before and got a good run of 200+ hours of trail riding out of them, but they took forever to get comfy...... YMMV

A&R
10th October 2010, 16:02
Had some Diadora mx boots originally they were the best boots I ever had. Saved my foot once when it got wrapped between chain and rear wheel in a sidecar outfit stalled the motor! and I was still able to wear them after that. Couldn't find a Diadora dealer over here so went to Alpinestars tech 8s. They are a good boot, very comfortable and good protection, but I have worn through the edge of the right boot from kickstarting and hitting the peg. So looking for a slimmer pair of boots next time that don't 'belly' at the foot and catch the peg. Might try the tech 3's or sg10/12s.

flyingcr250
10th October 2010, 16:10
I got some Tech3's from Scott and liked them straight away, very little run-in time and seem to be lasting well....... Had 661s before and got a good run of 200+ hours of trail riding out of them, but they took forever to get comfy...... YMMV

ive got some tec 3's too, mine have lasted for about 3.5-4 years and saved my feet and shins from some pretty rough knocks, but the're a little bit tatty now. time for some new ones:woohoo:

little.whittle
10th October 2010, 17:51
Had some Diadora mx boots originally they were the best boots I ever had. Saved my foot once when it got wrapped between chain and rear wheel in a sidecar outfit stalled the motor! and I was still able to wear them after that. Couldn't find a Diadora dealer over here so went to Alpinestars tech 8s. They are a good boot, very comfortable and good protection, but I have worn through the edge of the right boot from kickstarting and hitting the peg. So looking for a slimmer pair of boots next time that don't 'belly' at the foot and catch the peg. Might try the tech 3's or sg10/12s.

The tech 10 is slimmer than the tech 8's and theirs nothing over hanging on the boot to catch on pegs

barty5
10th October 2010, 19:11

Well if you want some Diadora's next time let me know can get.

morg_nz
1st November 2010, 18:50
i use Gaerme SG10 (equivalent to alpine stars tech 10) have found them a very hard wearing durable protective bit of kit.. they are not the lightest boot out there but i prefer to have protective boots rather than lightweight. Think Gaerme are Ryan dungeys boot sponsor..

dungey has the same boots as stewart - nikes!

sounds really gay that i know that!

RJM
1st November 2010, 20:41
Yeah I had noticed he was rocking Nikes.

Quite suprised DC haven't produced MX gear, maybe not boots but certainly MX gear in general.

Haven't quite got around to checking out the boots in person, still in my Thor moon boot. Aiming for Mr Motorcycles Glen Murray ride.

Shorty_925
2nd November 2010, 14:25
Has anyone got a pair of Tech 7's? What are they like? Worth the extra $200 over Tech 3's?

little.whittle
2nd November 2010, 17:41
Has anyone got a pair of Tech 7's? What are they like? Worth the extra $200 over Tech 3's?

Theyre a wider fitting boot and the whole sole is able to be replaced wher on the tech three its just a section of the sole can be replaced cheaply unless you get the bottem rebuilt that will cost more...

The tech 7 will pay for its self after awhile

alistair1
4th November 2010, 18:06
in genral ive noticed the soles on my a stars where out stupid fast,yet they are the only manufacturer that go to my size(dammit...)

cs363
4th November 2010, 18:10
Good MX boots should wear out soles - it's the whole reason they have replaceable inserts. You need soft soles for grip, think of them like tyres.

The secret is to replace the inserts before you stuff the sole itself.

That said, some people do seem to be a lot harder on soles than others for no obvious reason :blink:

Shorty_925
4th November 2010, 20:29
in genral ive noticed the soles on my a stars where out stupid fast,yet they are the only manufacturer that go to my size(dammit...)

what tech # do you have?

alistair1
6th November 2010, 16:40
what tech # do you have?

i have tech 7s.i got them resoled about two months ago,left boot is just about worn through the insert,and the insert is a month away from the usa,because no one carris shit for size 16....

meteor
6th November 2010, 20:20
i have tech 7s.i got them resoled about two months ago,left boot is just about worn through the insert,and the insert is a month away from the usa,because no one carris shit for size 16....

Hey mate how much is it to replace the sole on the Tech's and where do you get it done?

little.whittle
6th November 2010, 20:39
It gets done by alpinestars in Palmy. just take it to a Alpinestar dealer and they send it down... Costs around 120 upwards I think

alistair1
7th November 2010, 12:12
yea about what he said,took about a week turn around,only have to send it to crown kiwi if you got the moulded soles,tech 3,7 and 10s, tech 8s with the standard soles can get done at a boot/shoe repair.

RJM
8th November 2010, 12:28
I ended up going with the Alpinestars Tech 7s from Scott at Mr Motorcycles. More comfortable, lighter and felt generally stronger (longer lasting). Got a sharp price too as per of the 20th Anniversary sale.

Thanks everyone for their input / opinions.

morg_nz
8th November 2010, 19:31
I ended up going with the Alpinestars Tech 7s from Scott at Mr Motorcycles. More comfortable, lighter and felt generally stronger (longer lasting). Got a sharp price too as per of the 20th Anniversary sale.

Thanks everyone for their input / opinions.

I also got some boots via scott for their 20th anniversary sale. I got the fly mavericks, which were dirt cheap which suits me as I have no idea what i'm looking for in a boot yet lol. But i got them and they are perfect, they are super comfortable, really supportive and very slim around my foot (easy to change gear etc), so all in all im really stoked ay!