PDA

View Full Version : Which bike?

Taz
6th October 2010, 07:18
I have a friend who is considering a dual purpose bike. He is trying to decide between the DR650 and the KLR650. What are the pro's and con's of each?:devil2:

Skinny_Birdman
6th October 2010, 07:24
Is there an emoticon for the merciless beating of a dead animal of the equine variety?:zzzz:

Night Falcon
6th October 2010, 07:33
well lets see ..hmmm...arrrr they both have a R and a 650 in thier name....so the only difference is the D and the KL....so if your name starts with D buy the DR and if your name starts with KL buy the KLR. And thats why more people own DR's than KLR's....true dinks:blink::corn:

DR650gary
6th October 2010, 07:35
Depends which side of his mouth he breathes through. Lefty KLR, Righty DR, cause a DR is the right bike :woohoo:

I made the same choice a few months ago and basically went with what was available at the time, although my plan was tilted to a DR as I wanted to spend most of the ride rough and it was lighter.

Now, let the fun begin.

clint640
6th October 2010, 12:13
I have a friend who is considering a dual purpose bike. He is trying to decide between the DR650 and the KLR650. What are the pro's and con's of each?:devil2:

Friends don't let friends ride DR's & KLR's surely?:nono:

Tell him to man up & buy a 640.:eek:

Slow day at the office? :bleh:

Cheers
Clint

Crim
6th October 2010, 12:26

Pros for both is that they are heaps cheaper to buy and maintain than orange ones, cons for the DR is that it is not a KLR........................... and that just about does it.....................don't think I have forgotten anything?

Oscar
6th October 2010, 13:06
DR v. KLR Threads

Like watching a fight between Stephen Hawking and Christopher Reeve...

thepom
6th October 2010, 13:18
Yamah xt 600....air cooledand no oil or water thigy,s in the way.....

Taz
6th October 2010, 14:32
Friends don't let friends ride DR's & KLR's surely?:nono:

Tell him to man up & buy a 640.:eek:

Slow day at the office? :bleh:

Cheers
Clint

Just thought we needed a new DR KLR thread :blink:

And you guys all know I have no friends :crybaby:

dino3310
6th October 2010, 15:09
Pro's n con's .
Pro's = DR
cons = KLR

the Pro's of a DR is that its not a KLR and the Cons of the KLR is that its not a DR :blink:

and dont worry i'l be ya mate:shifty:

Padmei
6th October 2010, 15:46

Well now... you have ridden both - give us your informed opinion.

Taz
6th October 2010, 16:03
Well now... you have ridden both - give us your informed opinion.

I have ridden 1 very well sorted KLR (maybe some slight jetting changes would make it even betterer) and 2 very well sorted DR650's. I have also ridden 2 standard DR's but have yet to ride a standard KLR..... :) As to which one is betterer that depends on you :lol:

That looks like fun
6th October 2010, 16:36

A bit more info required please, What colour? :scooter:

JATZ
6th October 2010, 17:19
Aaaaannnnnd of to P.D. in......

1........:bye:

Notice our thread on various form of nutrition dissapeared aswell.......bastards :shutup:

Woodman
6th October 2010, 17:39
I prefer the DR. Much better bike in every way. No question.

Now that statement should be in PD:shutup:

dino3310
6th October 2010, 17:52
I prefer the DR. Much better bike in every way. No question.

Now that statement should be in PD:shutup:

:woohoo:, i'l copy that and print it on a poster and put it on the wall

junkmanjoe
6th October 2010, 18:42

you had one till you brought this fight up again.......

but one is water cooled, ones not,,, more parts to repair..

id say the klr would be more comfy long distance...dr is a bit of a ass killer.....long distance, but fun in the rough stuff...

dr has a small 12 liter tank good for 220kms...im not sure about the klrs fuel range.

my thoughts..........
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:scooter: :scooter:
on a second note,,i just might hijack this for a second........

if you where to buy a second bike for adv riding. around the 400-650 cc what would you look at and why..

:scooter: :scooter:

JMJ
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dino3310
6th October 2010, 18:45
another XR but the XR650l
Why = lecky leg

Woodman
6th October 2010, 19:47
another XR but the XR650l
Why = lecky leg

Couple of those on tm at the moment. Quite nice

Toaster
6th October 2010, 19:52

Pro: They are bikes.

Con: They are not Hayabusa.:innocent:

dino3310
6th October 2010, 19:55
Couple of those on tm at the moment. Quite nice

:yes: :drool: oh yeah http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes/auction-322802396.htm

Taz
7th October 2010, 06:37
Pro: They are bikes.

Con: They are not Hayabusa.:innocent:

Whats hayabusa? A bird?

Padmei
7th October 2010, 06:42
Whats hayabusa? A bird?

The sound you make when you bust a knuckle when the crescent slips

marks
7th October 2010, 07:45
both are very boring bikes (I wouldn't own a stock one of either )

buy a DT230

wysper
7th October 2010, 07:53

OUCH! LOL

DR super simple. Not much to break.
KLR seems more road ready (never ridden one though)

If it is a first time off road rider I would recommend a smaller bike - at least if I did it again I wouldn't buy a 600+, I would buy a smaller lighter bike to learn on.

Was there a budget?

Crisis management
7th October 2010, 07:58
If it is a first time off road rider I would recommend a smaller bike -

Good point, Taz is a hobbit so a small bike would suit him............and not too powerful so he doesn't get overwhelmed and end up on one wheel.

wysper
7th October 2010, 08:19
and not too powerful so he doesn't get overwhelmed and end up on one wheel.

or even more likely - end up on no wheels :shutup:

XF650
7th October 2010, 13:58

buy a DT230

NigelP is selling his (ex Motu)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-322536878.htm

Bass
7th October 2010, 14:12

It really doesn't matter because, value for money, they both thrash the arse off KTM's and Beemers
:bleh::bleh:

dino3310
7th October 2010, 15:05
Good point, Taz is a hobbit so a small bike would suit him............and not too powerful so he doesn't get overwhelmed and end up on one wheel.

so what do you call a crisismanagement on a 950 then:laugh:

Crisis management
7th October 2010, 17:10
so what do you call a crisismanagement on a 950 then:laugh:

Ha, I'm an expert and can do no wheels! :blink:

dino3310
7th October 2010, 18:06
:clap::clap::clap: shit that would have been a bugga to pick up

warewolf
7th October 2010, 19:25
It really doesn't matter because, value for money, they both thrash the arse off KTM's and Beemers
:bleh::bleh:Just like a 4 litre gooney of 'rich red' is better value for money than Penfolds Grange. They both get the job done, but the experience is not the same.

Padmei
7th October 2010, 19:43
Just like a 4 litre gooney of 'rich red' is better value for money than Penfolds Grange. They both get the job done, but the experience is not the same.

Mate if you can quote wine labels you belong on a KTM...

pete376403
7th October 2010, 19:46
DR v. KLR Threads

Like watching a fight between Stephen Hawking and Christopher Reeve...

True, but you KTM Eurosnobs just can't stay out of it, can you?

Nothing much happening in orange-land?

Woodman
7th October 2010, 20:27
KLR are now irresistable now that the 2011 colour options are camo and fake mud splatters.

JATZ
7th October 2010, 20:32
KLR are now irresistable now that the 2011 colour options are camo and fake mud splatters.

I honestly thought they couldn't get any more ugly :blink:

guess I was wrong :facepalm:

Crazy Steve
7th October 2010, 20:36

Wow I really like that ! Fery Fery much !

Crazy Steve.

Woodman
7th October 2010, 20:44
Notice the black wheels and engine too. :yes:

dino3310
7th October 2010, 20:45
I honestly thought they couldn't get any more ugly :blink:

guess I was wrong :facepalm:

its almost like padmei had a hand in the colour scheme

junkmanjoe
7th October 2010, 21:24
where is it i cant see it...................:blink:

Taz
8th October 2010, 05:19
And the best performance update is that it now has some orange on it. Problem with the paint job (if it didn't have the orange bits) is that you'd get off it in the bush and not be able to find it again.

Padmei
8th October 2010, 06:45
Really like those black wheels. Shock looks different too - or just changed colour?

warewolf
8th October 2010, 23:24
Black wheels standard on my KTM...

Possibly a titanium spring on the shock. Muchos bling but little performance improvement.:facepalm:

Oscar
9th October 2010, 08:59

Seriously, it looks like someone was sick on the tank:sick:
Probably a passing motorcycle lover.

Bass
9th October 2010, 09:54
Just like a 4 litre gooney of 'rich red' is better value for money than Penfolds Grange. They both get the job done, but the experience is not the same.

Damn straight.
Quantity over quality any day mate, just ask the wife.

Bass
9th October 2010, 11:01
Actually Colin, I'm sorry (absolutely crap with names, too).
I apologise for my last post.
I had forgotten your Australian heritage and the problems that go with it.
Had you not realised the reason that so many New Zealanders move to Oz is that they need more room to wave it about?
This situation also explains why Australia is so good at sport. I mean, when you have a whole nation that suffers fron "short man syndrome", just imagine the ferocity of attitude that it engenders.
It also explains why the Aussies routinely thrash the Kiwis. It's rather hard to be athletic when you are stepping on it all the time and if you roll it up to get it out of the way, it moves your centre of gravity too far forward of course.

Of course there are some Kiwis with a bit of Pom or Aussie in their ancestry and also the consequent problems. They are easy to pick though because they usually ride...........oh shit, I'm sorry mate....................KTM's

Padmei
9th October 2010, 12:06
Looking at the new KLR range I have to say the all black colour scheme looks bloody good.

DR lovers don't worry all the KLRers on KLR650net are moaning they haven't put a twin in it or other things - But you'll never please everyone.

bart
9th October 2010, 12:27
Actually Ryan, I'm sorry.
I apologise for my last post.
I had forgotten your Australian heritage and the problems that go with it.
Had you not realised the reason that so many New Zealanders move to Oz is that they need more room to wave it about?
This situation also explains why Australia is so good at sport. I mean, when you have a whole nation that suffers fron "short man syndrome", just imagine the ferocity of attitude that it engenders.
It also explains why the Aussies routinely thrash the Kiwis. It's rather hard to be athletic when you are stepping on it all the time and if you roll it up to get it out of the way, it moves your centre of gravity too far forward of course.

Of course there are some Kiwis with a bit of Pom or Aussie in their ancestry and also the consequent problems. They are easy to pick though because they usually ride...........oh shit, I'm sorry mate....................KTM's

Hahaha, nice one :laugh::laugh::shutup:

4th generation kiwi here....but of Scotish ancestry. No wonder I'm a cheap arsed DR rider.

warewolf
9th October 2010, 14:35
Quantity over quality any day mate, just ask the wife.I didn't have to ask your wife - she talks in her sleep.

thepom
9th October 2010, 15:09
ouch..:facepalm:

Bass
9th October 2010, 15:29
I didn't have to ask your wife - she talks in her sleep.

Ah, a riposte, excellent.
7 out of 10.
Might have been higher but it doesn't actually contradict anything that I said, now does it?