PDA

View Full Version : Office Pranks

danb
8th May 2005, 22:50
Office Pranks - found on a random website

When two (ore more) people are working a desks that are put next to each other, switch their telephone cords. With all those cables lying around it will take some time before they find that one out!

Put a peice of onion or a clove of garlic inside the mouthpiece of a phone. Give it some time for it to fester and build up a strong odor. Then call them and keep them on the phone for as long as possible.

It is allways a good habit to lock your computer before heading off for coffee or a smoke. When someone forgets and leaves a Word document or an email open, type a single word somewhere in the text. “f*ck” or so will do nicely. They’ll never notice and send it out.

Get a hold of someone's cell phone and change the greeting banner to say "NO SERVICE". Many cell phones have greeting banners on them that you can personalize to say whatever you want them to and it stays on there when you're not using your phone. Also, when there is no service where you are, most cell phone companies have a banner that pops up on your screen saying "no service".

Take a can of non gel shaving cream, and put it in a freezer. When it is frozen remove the bottom of the can and put it in co worker's drawer. When it melts it expands and explodes all over everything.

Go into MS Word or similar program on co-worker's computer, and add an entry to the AutoCorrect feature. This is a very simple prank that will send the novice user into a frenzy. Configure the AutoCorrect option to replace the word "the" with the phrase "you suck!". They will usually panick and start scanning for viruses.

Take clear tape and tape the underside of the mouse. Make sure you take the sticky end of the tape and apply it to the bottom of the mouse so it locks the ball in place. The victim will most likely check the connections in the back, reinstall drivers, reboot, etc., before they realize what has happened.

Do a "Print Screen" of the user's desktop, and then paste the image from the clipboard to a photo program, and save the image as a bitmap. Then, set the 'snapshot' of their desktop as the actual desktop wallpaper. (You'll have to hide the Windows status bar, and move all their desktop icons into a folder, which you can hide conspicuously in the corner or something.) The user will see their desktop as always, but everything on it will appear to be frozen when they try to click on it...sending them into a rebooting and virus scanning fit!

This will mostly only work with people with very little PC knowledge. Stick in a floppy in there floppy drive. They will be unable to boot up windows until the disk is out. This is fun to watch.

Try to find a very obnoxious CD laying around. Preferably a reggae or rap CD. Pop it in their CD ROM. Put up the sound full blast by double clicking on the volume control on the bottom right. On normal configurations the audio CD will autoplay when windows first starts up. The person starting up there PC in the morning will definitely be embarrassed.

This is for that special person you just cant stand in the office, the one who talks on the phone all day with their boyfriend/girlfriend and gets personal e-mail all day. Go into their e-mail and change their defaults to autmatically "blind carbon copy" their boss or supervisor. Heads will roll!

Change the coffee in the office coffe maker to decafe. Wait about three weeks(or untill you think everybody has gotten over their caffine addiction)and switch to expresso!

Try "password securing" someone's screen saver. First I suggest changing the screen saver to "scrolling marque" and inserting your own word or phrase, "Mr. Jones (president or supervisor) eats SHlT" or something to that effect.

With someone who is on the phone a lot during work - This works if you have phones that the handset comes apart. Take the handset apart and put scotch tape over the mouthpeice inside. They can still be heard, but they have to talk loud to be heard. The next day take it off, and put it in the earpeice. Usually they will be yelling to the other person on the line the next day, and won't be able to hear them. When they complain about the phone, and get a replacement, do it on the next phone. After about a week you will notice the calls to be down considerably.

Depending where you are at you may have a cafeteria in you place of work. Every week most of them put out a menu so you know what they are serving. Usually it is done on Word or Excel, and not extremely fancy. With a little work, matching fonts, and images you can make your own menus, and post them by your desk. We had one co-worker avoid the cafeteria for 2 weeks because of the selection "fish head stew" etc... before he caught on. Works great with picky eaters.

My absolutely most favorite prank I have saved for last. It is so simple to do and yields such nice results. Simply pop out the 'm' and 'n' key on someone's keyboard and reverse the two. Any flat tool will work. Just pry it with little pressure and they will easily come right off. Then just sit back and watch the confusion.

:killingme :whistle:

Gremlin
9th May 2005, 01:08
:killingme :killingme :killingme

very good, I had heard of the hiding desktop one, and am very tempted to do it sometime...

The other one, which was done by a construction division is switching license plates.

The two utes were company utes, exactly alike in everything except contents and license plate. That's how they usually tell them apart if they park side by side.

One day somebody decided to have a little fun and went out and swapped the back license plates over. One of the guys comes out to go off, goes to his ute and presses the remote unlock.

Of course the other ute blipped instead. Apparently took a good few minutes to work it out... :whistle:

scumdog
9th May 2005, 09:06
You have FAR too much time on your hands!! :laugh:

phantom
9th May 2005, 09:31
I've done the hidden desktop one, worked really well but a nice simple one is just swapping the mouse setup to a left mouse that swaps the mouse butttons around

Storm
9th May 2005, 16:49
You have FAR too much time on your hands!! :laugh:
I agree with him. Just like a copper who is posting in work time maybe? :whistle:

MrMelon
9th May 2005, 17:01
http://www.theswindle.com/Dsc00001.jpg

XTC
9th May 2005, 17:01
Bloody glad I don't work with you.....

MrMelon
9th May 2005, 17:03
http://www.xeni.net/images/bb/postit.JPG http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/med-IMG_7808.JPG

Uncle B
9th May 2005, 17:19
We used to grab a mates lunch as soon as he arrived and stick it the freezer.
Just before lunch we'd put it back in his bag....Hey presto soild sammies :killingme

SPman
9th May 2005, 17:20
Of course, you have tried them all..........:yes:

danb
9th May 2005, 20:36
http://www.xeni.net/images/bb/postit.JPG http://www.cynical-c.com/archives/bloggraphics/med-IMG_7808.JPG

Hahaha gota love the post it notes.
Has that office full of foam been on tv? - Have seen it somewhere

scumdog
10th May 2005, 00:19
I agree with him. Just like a copper who is posting in work time maybe? :whistle:

Nah matey, just finished night-shift!! If I WAS at work the post would have been longer - 'cos you tax-payers would have been paying me at the time :bleh: :lol:

Waylander
10th May 2005, 00:21
Hey Scumdog (and other members of th epolice force) how about enlightening us of some of the pranks y'all pull on recruits?

danb
10th May 2005, 00:24
Ok its all ok for you to say you have read them - Who is actually going to try them on workmates - I think swapping the N and M keys is the most easiest one to do (Warning don’t try this on Laptops especially Toshiba).
Pulling a phone apart is easy but shoving it all back together again is a whole new story.

scumdog
10th May 2005, 00:30
Hmmm, we get in enough trouble as it is...

But there was one who spent half a day 'guarding' a block of ice in a cardboard box he had been told contained a frozen human head, he did quite good at fending off the media etc.
'Apparently' he played one trick too many on his co-workers.

And no it wasn't me.

However at the freezing works? The good old "fill Joes lunchtin with a heap of live starlings" (never got to see his expression when he took the lid off when he got home) or add a realistic penis to everything in Joes newspaper (race-horses, the PM, anything) with a suitable soft-black pencil and then put it back in his bag just before knock-off, - knowing that Mrs Joe was waiting to read said paper when he got home.
Real mature stuff like that!!!

The Tazman
10th May 2005, 01:35
Those were great.

The things people come up with to pass the time!!!!!

I have to say the coffee one really made me laugh as I know some good coffee drinkers.

MOTOXXX
10th May 2005, 08:55
i always like the one where they tie a bit of fishing line through everything on the desk and then tie it to the office chair. then when they pull out the chair to sit on it, it pulls half of the shit off the desk. :D

Wonko
10th May 2005, 23:14
Things we've done:

Fishing line tucked away across the room, tied with a little knot right neer the end. The knot was placed under the pen holder of coworker. When the fishing line was pulled gently, the pen holder slowly moved across the desk. When he lifted the penholder, the line was pull fast, and was never seen. Took him 3 weeks to figure it out.

Win XP can accept more than one input device for the pointer on the screen. This meens you can have 2 mice pluged in. Mouse was down on the floor undr my foot where I could move it at random times throughout the day. 1 and a half weeks of fun on main prankster as his pointer slowly drifted over the screen without him touching anything.

I have been tempted to newspaper a desk before. You wrap up everything on the desk in newspaper, and everything in the drawers too. Chair, telephone, everything

What?
11th May 2005, 06:29
Way back, when I were a lad, the factory I worked at was getting a PABX phone system installed. While this was happening, I was reading the manual. As soon a sinstallation was complete, I wandered around the site setting each and every phone to divert to the next one after one ring.
Took the office girls an hour or so to figure out how to undo it. :whistle:

T.I.E
11th May 2005, 07:56
ha ha ha ha i'm the office prankster and i am having so much fun with it all.
more things to do.
i have wrapped the desk in paper before and all the pens even rubbers. and the chair that was fun.
but this is just more ammo to use. ha ha ha ha
thanks a bunch

phantom
11th May 2005, 08:12
used to work for a sparky and if we were wiring up a building we used to run all the cables before the wall lining went on . Well if "someone" just happened to put an offcut of cable through one of the holes ( nailed at the far end so it didn't pull out ) and the wall linings were put on it would take the poor buggar who was wiring up the plugs and switches a bloody long time to work out what was going on :whistle:

Biff
8th June 2005, 11:39
..when your co-workers are on leave.

Some old - some not.

Waylander
8th June 2005, 14:59
Found the original for ya Biff. I think there may be another one around aswell.

Hitcher
8th June 2005, 15:36
Other fun can be had by changing the system language and by setting up MS Word so that the text is white on white. Tee hee...

bear
8th June 2005, 15:42
The swapping of the M and N keys is a classic (as mentioned in the first post)...done that a few times - always good results.

Beemer
15th July 2005, 15:17
I lived at the nurses home at Wellington Hospital for a while and we were wracking our brains trying to get our own back on a practical joker there. One day we got him a beauty - he'd gone out and left his window open, thinking that because he was on the third floor, he was safe. Wrong! One of us entered the room next door and climbed in through his window and opened the door. We took everything out of his room and put it in the sunroom at the end of the floor, and then we put the contents of the other room into his room. He came home that night, opened his door, thought "shit, wrong room!" and walked out. Then he realised it was HIS room number and you could see him trying to work out why none of his stuff was in his room any more! He was so lazy he slept in the sunroom for about a week until he could be bothered taking his stuff back in!

hXc
15th July 2005, 16:40
We do this in the school computer room. Put every mouse on Left hand setting and then put one mouse on as slow as it can go with a long lasting trail and the next on as fast as it will go with no trail and do it consecutively(sp) It's really amusing to watch people. Occasionally we put the hompage on www.trademe.co.nz and I even put it on www.kiwibiker.co.nz once.

We put the desks around the other way because they have a big bar going across the front underneath that really hurts your knees.

We program the stereo's in teachers rooms to 'The Rock' and they are usually on 'Classic Hits' or 'Hot 93' or something.

Our english teachers projector looks exactly the same on the top as is does on the bottom so we flipped it over once. He was rather confused.

Somebody put shiny silver tape on a teachers cage windows last year. Looks just like tin foil.

Wolf
19th July 2005, 13:24
A guy left his car unlocked while he was visiting and we went in and turned everything on - except the lights, they came on without the key in the ignition so we turned them off again. Radio on, full volume, indicator switch down, wipers on, in gear etc. Also made some other "enhancements" and sat back to watch the fun.

It was good: he got a lovely blast of loud music - seems he was tuned to a rock station - when he turned the key, the wipers waved, the indicators blinked. He was rather annoyed as he shut them off, tried starting the car and lurched forward against the handbrake, took it out of gear, started up, slammed into reverse, raced backwards and screached to a halt, lept out and ripped the tin-cans-onna-string out from under the car, got back in, continued reversing, stopped again, got out and nearly went mad trying to find the other tin cans... to no avail.

So the moral of the story is this: On old-style cars, if you're going to tie some cans under the car, go the extra distance and throw a few small stones into the hubcaps as well, - it's worth it in the long run. :devil2: :devil2:

Eurygnomes
19th July 2005, 15:46
When I was at university halls, we did a few pranks on the same guy (nothing like making someone feel paranoid). He'd disappear up the Naki for the weekend and we'd do one of the following.

a) turf the room. A friend's father was one of those lawn growers. Halls rooms are really small so we got a whole load of offcuts. And the day before he got back - we added a sheep from the vet faculty...

b) wrap the room. Newspaper. This poor guy was still unwrapping his pens and papers well after we'd all attended monday lectures. We also turned everything upside down...

c) foam the room. Fill as many bin bags as possible with shaving foam (non gel obviously). Thread them under the door carefully (ensuring the opening really IS well under the door). Then slowly squeeze the goods into the room. Mwahahahah!

Wolf
19th July 2005, 16:27
The marriage between grease monkeys and Oxy-Acetylene mix is well established. Dude I know took his car into get some stuff done on it that he couldn't do at home (was a grease monkey himself). When he got back to his car and turned the key the explosion lifted his bonnet right off and flipped it onto the floor (they'd kindly unbolted it to facilitate the effect as acetylene is only a low explosive and would not normally do a lot to a metal hinge) - courtesy of a couple of plastic bottles full of oxy-acetylene mix and capped with sparkplugs...

They did it to him because he was a mate and one of their own - they knew he'd take it in the spirit intended. Must've made their day to have free-rein like that. Not the kind of thing you can do to the average punter - not a good "Kiwi Host" practice.

onearmedbandit
19th July 2005, 17:37
Done the oxy-acetylene 'bomb' a few times ourselves, very funny. A simple trick one of the guys here did was when one of our salesman was selling a car to two young attractive girls. He thought he might have a chance with one of them, if not both. Anyway he left the showroom to get the car details and while he was out our prankster left a note on his desk in full view of the girls, but not visible from where he was sitting that read, 'Steve, Toby called for you, wants to say thanks for dinner last night and the flowers. Will see you at home tonight'. The girls never looked at him the same way again, despite his 'charming' ways.