PDA

View Full Version : At last: A Suzuki Shiver

Hitcher
7th October 2010, 19:53

Once I mentioned to Mr Suzuki "You know, you really should think about putting that sublime IL4 from the GSXR-750 into a naked bike."

He has. Bless him.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/10/suzuki-unveils-2011-gsr750-naked-with-video/

He has also remained true to his brand values by underspeccing the brakes and the design of the rear swingarm. I suspect the suspension has also been underdone as well, based on past experiences with Suzukis.

Gwinch
7th October 2010, 20:02
Also looks suspiciously like a CB1000R only worse. :innocent:

Gremlin
7th October 2010, 20:11
You'd expect this a few years ago, when the naked class was in its infancy, and if you wanted naked instead of sportsbike, it was assumed you didn't want a lot of power, brakes or handling.

But come on, fz1, cb1000r, superduke, tuono etc. That simpleton design just doesn't cut the mustard any more...

cs363
7th October 2010, 20:39
Well it certainly doesn't stir my soul, recent Japanese and even some European offerings are becoming very much cookie-cutter style bikes IMHO, like many late model cars it's getting hard to tell them apart.
Hitcher's comments re brakes, suspension and the rest are on the money, I imagine its main saving grace will be that it will be cheap.

AllanB
7th October 2010, 21:00
Why not just take the GSXR 750, strip the crap off it and nakedize (TM) it, sure save a few bucks here and there but don't drain the personality out of it.

The clues to it's weakness have been pointed out by Hitcher - swingarm, brakes etc.

Dam shame really - with the 800cc ish class arriving lately, Suzuki could have taken the iconic GSXR750 and produced a FTW brutal, naked 750.

I can't get over the Suzuki swingarm, I bet if you remove the rear wheel and tap the side it it will reverberate like a tuning fork.

Darn it all - it could have been such a strong bike.

Hitcher
7th October 2010, 21:07
Mechanically I think this new Suzuki will be very strong. That 750 is a peach. I hope that the temptation to mid-range the guts out of it is resisted.

Scouse
8th October 2010, 00:04
Once I mentioned to Mr Suzuki "You know, you really should think about putting that sublime IL4 from the GSXR-750 into a naked bike."

He has. Bless him.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2010/10/suzuki-unveils-2011-gsr750-naked-with-video/

He has also remained true to his brand values by underspeccing the brakes and the design of the rear swingarm. I suspect the suspension has also been underdone as well, based on past experiences with Suzukis.Just looks like a Kawasaki Z750 ie just another boring jap attempt at a street fighter that fails massively in the styling depatment

tri boy
8th October 2010, 05:55
Looks alot like a Hyosung to me.
Each to their own I guess.

Devil
8th October 2010, 07:24
Just looks like a Kawasaki Z750 ie just another boring jap attempt at a street fighter that fails massively in the styling depatment

Yep, i picked Z750 too.
It's disappointing that none of the jap manufacturers will commit to a standout naked. I'm tired of the wet-your-pants concepts only to find a pared down and smoothed off version come into production.

jonbuoy
8th October 2010, 07:37
Maybe Iīm getting older but I canīt remember in the last 10 years or so a brand new bike or car that that made my jaw drop like the first time I saw a 916.

bistard
8th October 2010, 08:29

He has. Bless him.

He has also remained true to his brand values by underspeccing the brakes and the design of the rear swingarm. I suspect the suspension has also been underdone as well, based on past experiences with Suzukis.

Mr Hitcher,would you like to pace an order now??
Bistard

Hitcher
8th October 2010, 08:31
Mr Hitcher,would you like to pace an order now??
Bistard

I'll settle for a test ride first! I'm guessing $15,000, plus or minus.

bistard
8th October 2010, 08:34

Yes, I would agree, but the bonus is, I will be able to gaurantee parts supply

White trash
8th October 2010, 08:42
Looks good to me, if a little budget in the specs.

However, I followed a CB1000R into work this morning and much as it pains me to say it, the Honda looks to be a far superior bike.

st00ji
8th October 2010, 09:02
i never understood why naked bikes were not offered with at least the option of the full power engines.

White trash
8th October 2010, 09:06
i never understood why naked bikes were not offered with at least the option of the full power engines.

Quite simple, if you'd actually ridden a modern litre bike you'd know why.

Current Sportsbikes are designed with rider position and weight distribution all in mind. Take a GSXR1000 with the fairings removed and high bars on it for a ride, it's fucking mental.

Gremlin
8th October 2010, 11:33
It's disappointing that none of the jap manufacturers will commit to a standout naked. I'm tired of the wet-your-pants concepts only to find a pared down and smoothed off version come into production.
Hold on... Honda has the CB1000R. Definitely different to the Hornet, which was a much calmer bike. The CB1000R is more sporty, less practical, sharper brakes, stronger engine. If you want something a bit smaller, the CB600 is available, but its a little calmer than the CB1000R (more likely to keep your license tho)

At that price, I don't think I would hesitate... the CB1000R with the special on makes it a bit of a no brainer. At 20k, the CB1000R was too expensive...

The downside in my eyes of the CB1000R is that its lost the practicality of the Hornet. Hornet, you could fit full givi luggage... there isn't really a tailpiece to talk of, to attach all that to the CB1000R

White trash
8th October 2010, 12:08
Hold on... Honda has the CB1000R. Definitely different to the Hornet, which was a much calmer bike. The CB1000R is more sporty, less practical, sharper brakes, stronger engine. If you want something a bit smaller, the CB600 is available, but its a little calmer than the CB1000R (more likely to keep your license tho)

At that price, I don't think I would hesitate... the CB1000R with the special on makes it a bit of a no brainer. At 20k, the CB1000R was too expensive...

The downside in my eyes of the CB1000R is that its lost the practicality of the Hornet. Hornet, you could fit full givi luggage... there isn't really a tailpiece to talk of, to attach all that to the CB1000R

Luggage Smuggage. Just do what I do and courier all the shit you need to the Police station of your destination. Best way to tour.

NZsarge
8th October 2010, 12:19
Hope this is not a trend I see starting in the naked Jappa's, by that I mean over styling the body work as in the new Z1000 and now this bike.
Give me the FZ8 I reckon.

Gremlin
8th October 2010, 13:05
Luggage Smuggage. Just do what I do and courier all the shit you need to the Police station of your destination. Best way to tour.
But my destination is my house, except about 17 days later. I'll need some of the gear on different nights in the middle tho.

avgas
8th October 2010, 13:16
I...errrr.... like it

Should I seek help?

Hitcher
8th October 2010, 13:39

I reckon the FZ8 is equally "budgeted". Without riding one, I must admit to having reservations as to how well the sleeved FZ1 engine would go. I'm looking forward to a comparison between that engine and the presumably rechipped GSXR-750.

Crasherfromwayback
8th October 2010, 14:25
The clues to it's weakness have been pointed out by Hitcher - swingarm, brakes etc.

Dam shame really - with the 800cc ish class arriving lately, Suzuki could have taken the iconic GSXR750 and produced a FTW brutal, naked 750.

I can't get over the Suzuki swingarm, I bet if you remove the rear wheel and tap the side it it will reverberate like a tuning fork.

Don't worry about the swingarm in the thing...it'll be just fine. Pity they didn't use 4 piston calipers though.

NZsarge
8th October 2010, 15:03
I reckon the FZ8 is equally "budgeted". Without riding one, I must admit to having reservations as to how well the sleeved FZ1 engine would go. I'm looking forward to a comparison between that engine and the presumably rechipped GSXR-750.
Yes I think without a shadow of a doubt you'd be right accept for the brakes, same they're the same caliper's as my FZ1 had and there wasn't anything wrong with it's brakes.
BTW, there's Suzuki "budgeted" and there's Yamaha "budgeted", as far as i'm concerned Suzuki's smack of "budget" even in their so called "quality" bikes...
As you say, you'll find out.

White trash
8th October 2010, 15:25
Don't worry about the swingarm in the thing...it'll be just fine. Pity they didn't use 4 piston calipers though.

No, what's a pity is that they didn't just bung a revalved GSXR7 front in it. Nice brakes. Nice suspension. Already have oodles of them so wouldn't have cost that much more.

Twin piston floating calipers on a 750cc multi is just taking the piss. What's the bet the front end is massively underdamped also. Not nice Suzuki.

Cool looking bike though, I love it.

Crasherfromwayback
8th October 2010, 15:44
No, what's a pity is that they didn't just bung a revalved GSXR7 front in it. Nice brakes. Nice suspension. Already have oodles of them so wouldn't have cost that much more.

Twin piston floating calipers on a 750cc multi is just taking the piss. What's the bet the front end is massively underdamped also. Not nice Suzuki.

Cool looking bike though, I love it.

Maybe so for how you ride it...but the general public? It'll be sweet as mate.

White trash
8th October 2010, 15:51
Maybe so for how you ride it...but the general public? It'll be sweet as mate.

Point is though, there's plenty of guys that ride "like me" (I don't actually ride like that anymore by the way) that will be put off by the down speccing. Commuters/tourer/reborns wont be put off by over speccing. Just my 2 cents.

Look at the level of equipment you get on an FZ1 or a Predator now. Alright, they're over priced but Suzuki can afford to sell GSXR1000's at under 20K, there's no reason they can't have this on the shelf for under 15 with decent equipment that they already have access to fitted.

Crasherfromwayback
8th October 2010, 16:04
Point is though, there's plenty of guys that ride "like me" (I don't actually ride like that anymore by the way) that will be put off by the down speccing. Commuters/tourer/reborns wont be put off by over speccing. Just my 2 cents.

Look at the level of equipment you get on an FZ1 or a Predator now. Alright, they're over priced but Suzuki can afford to sell GSXR1000's at under 20K, there's no reason they can't have this on the shelf for under 15 with decent equipment that they already have access to fitted.

Stop ya moaning till ya ride it!

AllanB
8th October 2010, 16:18
The FZ8 just got a thrashing in FAST BIKE magazine. But they are very much pro full on sports bikes - rated it the bottom of their comparo with the Kawa750, 796 Monster & Street Triple'R'.

Guess what won.

Also the FZ8 in England is the dearest of the bunch!

I'll be interested to see a few more reviews and it looks like a nice kit. Mind you unless priced well most will go for the thou.

White trash
8th October 2010, 18:01
Stop ya moaning till ya ride it!

Doubt Ill ever get the chance so how about you just fuck off and let me convince myself it's gonna be crap. There's a good fellow.

HenryDorsetCase
8th October 2010, 18:30

so when you get arrested you've got dry grundies waiting? Never thought of that...

slowpoke
8th October 2010, 18:31
What a pack of whinging, "spoon feed me!" babies ya are! The naked you all want (but never buy) is right there, ya just gotta take the fairings off and get your hands a lil' bit dirty. It's not rocket science...sheesh, and you all reckon suzuki is slack?!

HenryDorsetCase
8th October 2010, 18:33
What a pack of whinging, "spoon feed me!" babies ya are! The naked you all want (but never buy) is right there, ya just gotta take the fairings off and get your hands a lil' bit dirty. It's not rocket science...sheesh, and you all reckon suzuki is slack?!

I reckon a Triumph Daytona 675 with the fairings off and streetfightered could be a cool little bike: like a mini Speed Triple sort of. I reckon I might email John Bloor and see what he reckons.....

Crasherfromwayback
8th October 2010, 18:36
Doubt Ill ever get the chance so how about you just fuck off and let me convince myself it's gonna be crap. There's a good fellow.

I'll let you ride our demo you grubby lil wankstain.

pc220
8th October 2010, 18:41
I reckon a Triumph Daytona 675 with the fairings off and streetfightered could be a cool little bike: like a mini Speed Triple sort of. I reckon I might email John Bloor and see what he reckons.....

And they could call it the 'Street Triple'.:innocent:

spacemonkey
8th October 2010, 20:57

Well on the bright side it would have a slightly more respectable warranty than the shiver...... :Pokey::innocent:

davebullet
8th October 2010, 21:23

Without the fairing a hard hitting top end becomes a little bit of a gear flapping, face warping, body as a parachute experience.

Get funky at Suzuki's official launch site:
http://www.gsr750.com/

Unfortunately - the Flash developers have got carried away and there is no real content there.

davebullet
8th October 2010, 21:25
Hope this is not a trend I see starting in the naked Jappa's, by that I mean over styling the body work as in the new Z1000 and now this bike.

The new Speed Triple is falling foul of this trend too. Looks more jappa than british.

NZsarge
8th October 2010, 21:43
The new Speed Triple is falling foul of this trend too. Looks more jappa than british.

Yeah Owl and I were discussing it the other day, that's the one they let slip in the parts catalog? Umm, I actually quite liked it.. :D

Owl
9th October 2010, 05:04
Yeah Owl and I were discussing it the other day, that's the one they let slip in the parts catalog? Umm, I actually quite liked it.. :D

It's growing on me slowly after seeing it officially on Triumph's site. Looks like it has gained a couple of kg's though and now has a 6" rear rim with 190/55 fitted. I do like the wheels and look forward to seeing it in person. Still not sold on the headlights though:facepalm:

NZsarge
9th October 2010, 07:21

Hmm, I like that line of thinking..
2010 R1, remove fairings, chuck on some Renthal street bars.. Hey presto, the new mad as a maggot FZ1.

White trash
9th October 2010, 07:48

Problem with that spud is that then you've got a bike which is very deffinitely custom, and people assume is a repaired write off when it comes time to resell.

BMWST?
9th October 2010, 10:05
Problem with that spud is that then you've got a bike which is very deffinitely custom, and people assume is a repaired write off when it comes time to resell.

well then you just put everything back together and you post up some pics to show how it looked when you rode it so you can explain why it looks so mint.

slowpoke
9th October 2010, 10:22

Yep, there is that. For a group of of supposed misfits, motorcyclists are by and large a fairly conservative bunch.

But as you mentioned it'd be a hairy beast. A 165hp fully faired bike is one thing, but lighten it by 10kg's, no point in a 300kph topend on a naked so gear it for say 250kph, and then sit up like jackie and raise the C of G......you'd have fun but most of us would end up in the bushes sooner rather than later.

st00ji
11th October 2010, 12:09
Quite simple, if you'd actually ridden a modern litre bike you'd know why.

Current Sportsbikes are designed with rider position and weight distribution all in mind. Take a GSXR1000 with the fairings removed and high bars on it for a ride, it's fucking mental.

Without the fairing a hard hitting top end becomes a little bit of a gear flapping, face warping, body as a parachute experience.

well thanks for the education gents. but surely those things might be quite attractive qualities to some people? you yourself mentioned it as an enjoyable experience i think white trash...

i did say option!

White trash
11th October 2010, 20:54
Nah bro. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's fucking dangerous. I took all the fairings off my Superbike and took it for a short roadride once. It was hilarious for ten minutes but I couldn't have lived with it as a road bike. Constantly wheelstanding, and not in a nice way. 9K in 4th (bear in mind this is over 200kays) and the front would elevate when you least expect it. In the first three cogs it was unpredictable and vicious.

Then there's the whole balance of the bike issue with no fairings and shit. The list goes on....

The Stranger
11th October 2010, 21:19

Yes, those burgerkings are severely under powered.

jonbuoy
12th October 2010, 03:18
well thanks for the education gents. but surely those things might be quite attractive qualities to some people? you yourself mentioned it as an enjoyable experience i think white trash...

i did say option!

You can simulate a full tit run on the motorway on a semi naked bike. Sit yourself on your current bike with your helmet on, hook one end of a strong bungee cord under the front lip of your helmet, pass it over the top and clip it onto the pillion grab rail so it feels like someone is trying to pull your helmet off without undoing the strap. Get a second person to stand behind the bike and try and pull you backwards off the bike by your shoulders - having fun yet? They are immense fun under 160 Kph. I guess thats why big bore naked bikes are re-tuned for low end grunt.

st00ji
12th October 2010, 07:51
Nah bro. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but it's fucking dangerous. I took all the fairings off my Superbike and took it for a short roadride once. It was hilarious for ten minutes but I couldn't have lived with it as a road bike. Constantly wheelstanding, and not in a nice way. 9K in 4th (bear in mind this is over 200kays) and the front would elevate when you least expect it. In the first three cogs it was unpredictable and vicious.

Then there's the whole balance of the bike issue with no fairings and shit. The list goes on....

ah i see.

are the 600s in the same boat then?

Gremlin
12th October 2010, 11:14

Stop it... you really know how to turn a guy on :yes:

Crasherfromwayback
12th October 2010, 11:52
Stop it... you really know how to turn a guy on :yes:

Of course he does...he's GAY!

White trash
12th October 2010, 11:53
Of course he does...he's GAY!

Sssshhhhhh, don't be telling Sue....., she hasn't cottened on yet.

carver
13th October 2010, 17:45

GSR 600...
Yawn.....

beyond
14th October 2010, 20:48
You can simulate a full tit run on the motorway on a semi naked bike. Sit yourself on your current bike with your helmet on, hook one end of a strong bungee cord under the front lip of your helmet, pass it over the top and clip it onto the pillion grab rail so it feels like someone is trying to pull your helmet off without undoing the strap. Get a second person to stand behind the bike and try and pull you backwards off the bike by your shoulders - having fun yet? They are immense fun under 160 Kph. I guess thats why big bore naked bikes are re-tuned for low end grunt.

Big bore nakeds are loads of fun but the idea is that once over 220 ish it pays to get your head down, arms tucked in and legs in tight, have a good set of tight leathers and anything over that is fine. I've never had issues riding the 14 without a screen or fairings at speed... just don't sit up when hovering around 250-260kmh and make sure your visor is snapped shut :)