PDA

View Full Version : Have you been ripped off when you registered your bike?

GerryAttrick
12th October 2010, 16:02
I just went in today to relicence my bike - it expired 27/9/2010 and stated that it would cost me $262.41 for 6 months.GST was 12.5%. No..I have not been riding an unrego'd bike I have been hitching a lift with Er Indoors!!!

However neither the online LTSA system or the Agent one at Kiwibank would let me register at that price - the system calculates GST at 15% and asks for $268.24.

Needless to say I have not paid it and I'll continue to ride my bike while I wait for LTSA to reply to my email asking how I can pay the amount they are legally entitled to.

Sure its not much but its a matter of principle as I think we get ripped off too much now by the like of LTSA and ACC

bogan
12th October 2010, 16:06
goods and sale tax mean tax applied at the time of sale, time of sale is after the rise, seems legit to me, probly should have put it on hold...

nathan.read
12th October 2010, 16:39
Time of supply is the earlier of when they provide the licence or you make payment, I made sure I got my lifestyle block fertilized before 1 October (as Im not GST registered) Im affraid your stuck with 15% as the transaction is now occuring after 1 October

p.dath
12th October 2010, 17:46
They have to charge you 15%. You don't have a leg to stand.

And it wont make any difference. Without your rego being on hold any payment you make will be back dated to the time of expiry.

GerryAttrick
13th October 2010, 06:30
goods and sale tax mean tax applied at the time of sale, time of sale is after the rise, seems legit to me, probly should have put it on hold...

To me the time of sale is the time rego takes effect from - at least what I read from the IRD site.Anyway I have asked for a ruling from the IRD. I hope I am right as I'd love to stick it to the LTSA.

If I am wrong then I guess I'll have to pay and make it up some other way..

I just hate giving any money to the government coffers when you think about how much we pay for the crap treatment we get

p.dath
13th October 2010, 08:16
To me the time of sale is the time rego takes effect from - at least what I read from the IRD site.Anyway I have asked for a ruling from the IRD. I hope I am right as I'd love to stick it to the LTSA.

IRD rulings are not binding unless you *pay* for a binding ruling. Otherwise it is just a comment.

If you pay for a binding ruling instead of the difference in GST on your rego you'll be *way* out of pocket.

Take the cheaper option. Pay the rego. It's not worth the frustration.

robo555
13th October 2010, 09:11
Yes the new licence will be valid from 27 Sep, but they supplied it to you after 1 Oct, so they're correct to charge you 15%. If you paid before 1 Oct it would have been 12.5%.

pzkpfw
13th October 2010, 11:19
Commercial vehicles on the Interislander started paying 15% GST on the Monday before the rate went up on Friday, because they were to be invoiced for that week on the Monday after the rate went up.

That's the way these things work. I'd suspect you are stuck with paying the 15%.

Pay for it with your income tax decrease... :-)

Max Preload
13th October 2010, 11:38
Time of supply is the earlier of when they provide the licence or you make payment

They have to charge you 15%. You don't have a leg to stand.

To me the time of sale is the time rego takes effect from - at least what I read from the IRD site.

Yes the new licence will be valid from 27 Sep, but they supplied it to you after 1 Oct, so they're correct to charge you 15%. If you paid before 1 Oct it would have been 12.5%.

Sort of.

Time of supply is the date of the invoice or the date of payment, whichever comes first.
(http://www.ird.govt.nz/changes/gst/businesses/supply/)

I just went in today to relicence my bike - it expired 27/9/2010 and stated that it would cost me $262.41 for 6 months.GST was 12.5%.

If you use the invoice they sent you, which is for 12 months, they will have to honour the price contained on it.

Crazy Steve
13th October 2010, 12:29
Your right Mr Preload ! ! AGAIN ! !

Crazy Steve.

DougieNZ
13th October 2010, 12:49
I hope I am right as I'd love to stick it to the LTSA.

I'm sure you would - but you may have a problem. the LTSA hasn't existed for years...

GerryAttrick
14th October 2010, 08:49
I'm sure you would - but you may have a problem. the LTSA hasn't existed for years...

I should have said NZTA but that does not alter the fact that as Max Preload has said - and the argument I have used its "time of invoice or time of supply - WHICH EVER IS EARLIER!!" At the time of invoice the rate was 12.5%:yes:

The NZTA sent me a nice email saying that the current rate is 15% and that they think I should pay.:angry:

I have referred them to the website and said they are wrong and I don't think I should pay. It would be nice to be able to pay it from my tax decrease but thats already gone west on increases in ACC levies, GST rises and all then other stuff that has already gone up or is still about to :shit:

Bounce001
14th October 2010, 14:31
Just another case off people wanting to rip you off.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10680423

They're all doing it

Max Preload
14th October 2010, 23:27
I should have said NZTA but that does not alter the fact that as Max Preload has said - and the argument I have used its "time of invoice or time of PAYMENT - WHICH EVER IS EARLIER!!" At the time of invoice the rate was 12.5%:yes:But does the invoice have a 6 month price on it? If not, a new invoice will be issued. At 15%. According to the time of supply rules.

p.dath
15th October 2010, 07:20
But does the invoice have a 6 month price on it? If not, a new invoice will be issued. At 15%. According to the time of supply rules.

I need to look at an NZTA document. Is it actually an "invoice", or simply a "notice" advising you that some money is due.

avgas
15th October 2010, 07:56
I need to look at an NZTA document. Is it actually an "invoice", or simply a "notice" advising you that some money is due.
or an invitation to treat.......

sidecar bob
15th October 2010, 08:57
The next nasty surprise youre going to get is, that unless you put the rego on hold when it expired, theyre going to backdate the start date to when it expired, so losing the months you have had it sitting idle.

Max Preload
15th October 2010, 09:54
The next nasty surprise youre going to get is, that unless you put the rego on hold when it expired, theyre going to backdate the start date to when it expired, so losing the months you have had it sitting idle.Unless it's exempted within 2 months of the expiry.

sidecar bob
15th October 2010, 16:04
Unless it's exempted within 2 months of the expiry.
Well it certainly hasnt been working like that with the Transit racebike transporter we only use half the year.

Max Preload
15th October 2010, 17:10
Well it certainly hasnt been working like that with the Transit racebike transporter we only use half the year.You have to apply for the exemption. But it's free.

sidecar bob
15th October 2010, 18:05
You have to apply for the exemption. But it's free.
It seems that if i dont apply for it the day it expires, or before, im charged back rego.

Max Preload
15th October 2010, 19:06
It seems that if i dont apply for it the day it expires, or before, im charged back rego.That's simply wrong. I just did one last night online - the last exemption expired 6 weeks ago.
http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1994/0244/latest/DLM196867.html (http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/1994/0244/latest/DLM196867.html)