PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a motorcycle above your license?

FlangMasterJ
13th October 2010, 13:32
Bit of an odd question but is it possible to insure a motorcycle over 250cc when you only have a restricted license?

The reason I ask is because I've found a bike on trademe I'm keen on but don't have my full license (had my restricted for five years, haven't had a bike on the road in four). So even though I wouldn't be riding this bike till I got my full is it possible to have it insured?

Catch my drift?

kiwifruit
13th October 2010, 13:34
Yes

Oscar
13th October 2010, 13:42
Yes you can.
However, you won't be covered when riding it.

FlangMasterJ
13th October 2010, 13:53
Cheers padres.

cbfb
13th October 2010, 14:54
Not sure why you would want to because if you came to make a claim the weasely weasels would undoubtedly weasel out of paying because you're not licenced to ride it.

If it's purely just because it's sitting in the shed and you're waiting till you pass your full before you ride it, maybe they would cover it for fire/theft - best to check with them. I have wondered this myself because if I eventually get a track bike I doubt road cover would be suitable.

Oscar
13th October 2010, 15:06
Not sure why you would want to because if you came to make a claim the weasely weasels would undoubtedly weasel out of paying because you're not licenced to ride it.

If you're a big enough wanker to insure a bike yer not licensed to ride, it's hardly the insurers fault, is it? Or would you expect them to cover you?:facepalm:

cbfb
13th October 2010, 15:11
If you're a big enough wanker to insure a bike yer not licensed to ride, it's hardly the insurers fault, is it? Or would you expect them to cover you?:facepalm:

Erm yes, that is exactly what I was saying. You wouldn't want to cause they wouldn't pay. OP wasn't planning on riding it anyhoo.

Just like to get a dig in at insurance companies when I can though.

tamarillo
13th October 2010, 15:16
so it seems you can but wont be covered riding - so it is just theft you need. maybe better spend money on really good security that will last forever - chain, padlocks etc

NighthawkNZ
13th October 2010, 15:21

Read the OP probably

So even though I wouldn't be riding this bike till I got my full is it possible to have it insured?

Yes you can get the bike insured... ensure you tell them the situation. Bike won't be ridden, etc etc etc

Basically fire theft etc, when you get full upgrade to full insurance

Juzz976
13th October 2010, 15:26
Just go get your full licence, your gonna need it anyways.

A friend of mine has a 1000cc and no bike licence at all, just high excess for anyone with full licence who rides.

skidz07
13th October 2010, 15:56
Read the OP probably

Yes you can get the bike insured... ensure you tell them the situation. Bike won't be ridden, etc etc etc

Basically fire theft etc, when you get full upgrade to full insurance

Oh bollocks bikes in sheds get ridden who the f*#k are you kidding!!!!!!!:shit:

cbfb
13th October 2010, 15:59
Oh bollocks bikes in sheds get ridden who the f*#k are you kidding!!!!!!!:shit:

Mine doesn't it's f*cked :yes:

Juzz976
13th October 2010, 16:03
Other option is to put it in your house and contents insurance.

I did that with my old track bike, fire and theft. Do the same with MX bikes

skidz07
13th October 2010, 16:07
Mine doesn't it's f*cked :yes:

Yeah ok fair call,but if it aint bugger'd you'd ride it !!!!:yes: