PDA

View Full Version : Hilo! Just got Learners (Alex Wong)

Alex Wong
13th October 2010, 14:05
Hi all, I just got my learners this time last month and have been riding my gn around every chance I get. It goes brilliantly(though its not easy getting past 100), but a brilliant learning bike.
Only drawback is nothing much is wrong with it, or goes wrong from what i hear(apart from those cursed side covers), so never get to play around it, or at least dont have any experience with it so simply have no idea what to do.
Any advice on riding or caring for the bike would be welcomed. Really keen to help out on project or repair so i can learn how to do things myself so if you got anything going would appreciate a hand up in the biking world haha.

p.s what are some cheap waterproof pants or kevlar reinforced jeans? I've been getting saturated lately :/

p.s.s missing the Right hand side cover so if anyones got one lying around, would be happy to procure it.

Gibbo89
13th October 2010, 14:47
Hi all, I just got my learners this time last month and have been riding my gn around every chance I get. It goes brilliantly(though its not easy getting past 100), but a brilliant learning bike.
Only drawback is nothing much is wrong with it, or goes wrong from what i hear(apart from those cursed side covers), so never get to play around it, or at least dont have any experience with it so simply have no idea what to do.
Any advice on riding or caring for the bike would be welcomed. Really keen to help out on project or repair so i can learn how to do things myself so if you got anything going would appreciate a hand up in the biking world haha.

p.s what are some cheap waterproof pants or kevlar reinforced jeans? I've been getting saturated lately :/

p.s.s missing the Right hand side cover so if anyones got one lying around, would be happy to procure it.

Welcome, the things you need to do is just clean and lube your chain, and do chain adjustment.

Make sure you do an oil and filter change when your manual suggests. Maybe every 5,000k's on a GN? I'm not sure, but most bikes are around the 5k mark.

Youtube is your friend. Oh, and google. Possibly a few on this site... :blink:

But make sure you double check with someone with more experience before you do something that could potentially screw the bike a bit.

(like the guy that lost the ends of his fingers because he didn't lube his chain correctly...:facepalm:)

But if you do have any questions, feel free to start a thread and ask away.

Gibbo89
13th October 2010, 14:50

no such thing as cheap kevlar type jeans unfortunately

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-for-sale/Other/auction-322851514.htm

this dude might put up a auction for you, make sure you dont get ripped off though.

Grasshopperus
13th October 2010, 14:50
Hi Alex,

sounds like you need to take your bike apart to find out what's stopping it going wrong, I guarantee you'll be able to find it :blink:

Have a good look through the 'sticky' forum threads under the 'bike gear' and 'survival skills' sections and then take it from there. Use the search form to find out how to do stuff and don't be afraid to ask questions. Try and download a gn250 owners manual from somewhere, it'll have instructions on how to perform a basic service (oil change, spark plugs, air filter, tyres and chain etc)

Start saving for some quality waterproof gear, pretty darn important to be comfortable while you're learning to ride.

Alex Wong
16th October 2010, 09:43
Thanks for the helpful replies, the bikes going fine, sorting out cover from trademe, though its not the right colour(its black) and no decal or anything i cant find any right covers anywhere so get what ya given amiright? Just get it sprayed.

Yeah i have downloaded one awhile ago when i was in the stages of buying it, got so excited about it haha, but it turned out really helpful. Seemed the bike had too much oil, and was affecting the power and neutral and 1st were a bitch to change, after oil and filter change it sounded sharp again was changing fine.
Need to clean the chain, getting a bit manky

Will definately save up for some decent gear, but it's only been a month and i want a bigger bike :(. I hear they want to take away defensive driving for bikes, is this true? Theres plenty of fast(compartively) 250's but from i hear, its just not the same aye...and 2 years is a long time to wait.

rie
16th October 2010, 12:32
...p.s what are some cheap waterproof pants...

Fully armoured textile (waterproof):
- Dri-rider
- Rjays
NB: cheapies so won't be waterproof that long

Rain over-pants
- Rjays ($69?)
- Revit (http://motomail.co.nz/eStore/Style/RVPACURVERAIN.aspx)($60)

Kevlar-type pants (no armour)
- Revit Pants (http://motomail.co.nz/eStore/Style/RVPATRIBE.aspx)(looks like normal pants, not jeans) ($169.90)
- Classic Draggins (http://motomail.co.nz/eStore/Style/DJPAJEANS.aspx)(looks like jeans) ($288.90)

avgas
16th October 2010, 13:21
Don't be scared to rev the shit out of the Gn250. They are a fairly simple and bulletproof motor. Most people assume that since its got a cruiser look you should be in the lower half of the rev range - but with the gearing on the Gn's they are designed to have to shit pounded out of them.

Also adjust your suspension (if you can) to go a bit harder, as this throws down a bit more ompfh (technical term) quicker. You can preload the forks with washes (I have used the old 20 cent coins in the past - perhaps the new 50 cent coins will work).

Grasshopperus
16th October 2010, 16:59
You can preload the forks with washes (I have used the old 20 cent coins in the past - perhaps the new 50 cent coins will work).

Talk about inflation.

Thank you, I'm here all night.

I also feel the need to point out that this is a pun AND a double entendre

Alex Wong
11th November 2010, 09:21
haha yeah :) i've come to the same conclusion, otherwise you dont get much out of the gn.

Preloading the forks? might have to look into this, in saying that im thinking of selling it and getting a bigger 250. So perhaps better to leave it stock.