PDA

View Full Version : Non bike people don't get it.

AllanB
14th October 2010, 18:54
So I wanted a bike since I was about 6, license at 16 (my parents wisely made me wait a year) and I'd been working school holidays etc since I was 12 saving for one. Purchased my first bike about a week after I got my license - a bright red CB200 :woohoo:.

There has been a street legal running motorcycle of some form in my shed ever since. If I had the coin there would be more than one :yes:

I'm now 45.

So why is it that people I have known for years who do not and have never ridden occasionally come up with comments indicating that they thing it is time for me to give them up - hell one even said grow-up recently.

I'm responding politely that I intend to have one in my garage until I am at least 95. If they really piss me off I just tell them I'm thinking of getting the kids some riding gear so they can come out with me - that usually freaks them out!

Arses - they don't get it. It is not something that I will 'grow out of' or a mid-life toy.

The Baron
14th October 2010, 19:03
You are right!

Some people just don't get it.

Some people may some day see the light and give you that look of "Oh now I get it" I should have done this years ago.

Some people never will.............................................. ..........

ducatilover
14th October 2010, 19:05
I know what you mean (even at my young age, must be the throbbing delerium)
I have a few friends and family "dissapointed" on my purchase of another bike. The old man understands, being a bike chap. It's like a red-head or foot fettish, people just don't get it.

munster
14th October 2010, 19:09
I get the same sort of stick about hunting. Boys & Guns comments are quite common.

But I don't live my life to please other people, I live it to please my wife, kids, cats, bank, boss . . . . . . . Shit, I'm sure I'm on the list somewhere!

bogan
14th October 2010, 19:11
people who don't get it, get told to get fucked :lol: but luckily most people I know do get it, actually most people I know have had a bike or two at some point :yes: wonder if thats cos I told the rest to get fucked :laugh:

hellokitty
14th October 2010, 19:38
So I wanted a bike since I was about 6, license at 16 (my parents wisely made me wait a year) and I'd been working school holidays etc since I was 12 saving for one. Purchased my first bike about a week after I got my license - a bright red CB200 :woohoo:.

There has been a street legal running motorcycle of some form in my shed ever since. If I had the coin there would be more than one :yes:

I'm now 45.

So why is it that people I have known for years who do not and have never ridden occasionally come up with comments indicating that they thing it is time for me to give them up - hell one even said grow-up recently.

I'm responding politely that I intend to have one in my garage until I am at least 95. If they really piss me off I just tell them I'm thinking of getting the kids some riding gear so they can come out with me - that usually freaks them out!

Arses - they don't get it. It is not something that I will 'grow out of' or a mid-life toy.

The time to give up your bike is when you are 96 or dead or whatever!
Don't let anyone tell you to give up riding. My Dad had some health issues and decided to sell his awesome BMW and has regretted it ever since. He ended up buying a K100 (which I think is yuk) because my Mum said he had to get another motorbike - she said he needed a hobby :yes:
I am hoping that as he gets older (he is only 66) he will get a lighter and lower bike (perhaps like my VT750) as that would be easier to handle, but there is no way he should give up riding!

People that don't ride need to keep their negative thoughts to themselves......

Maha
14th October 2010, 19:52
I know plenty of non bike people, can say that I have ever had a negative reaction to the fact that I own/ride a bike.
What I do get at times though from non bike people that I dont know is....(and I started a thread on this a while ago)
''Wadda ya got, a Harley''?
I guess Mum did at first but changed tack when a close friend of my sisters collapsed and died suddenly at around age 40.
Then I got (and this from my mum) you enjoy your bike Mark, you just never know when your time is up.

AllanB
14th October 2010, 20:53
Then I got (and this from my mum) you enjoy your bike Mark, you just never know when your time is up.

Now that's a wise woman.:yes:

I know of a lot of guys who's partners 'encouraged' them to give up biking. MrsB has had comments on me still riding over the years - her reply is usually something like "he had a bike long before he met me' Mind you she has also been know to tell me to 'bloody get out for a ride' apparently I'm a better person after one!

Number One
14th October 2010, 21:08
being a bike chap. It's like a red-head or foot fettish, people just don't get it.

That is gold...and shit I think that nails it! My mother keeps looking at me all disapprovingly when I comment on a new helmet, or tyres and then I went and got a 'big' bike :lol: SV650

THEN I had the gall to go and try my hand at racing...first little buckets and then I dared take my 'big' :lol: bike on a hillclimb and to a track day!!!! SHOCK HORROR

NOW I let her almost 7 year old grandson go out with his crazy biker father up hill and down dale on his own wee motorbike!

I can fair hear her screaming in her head 'Will it not end!!!' :rofl: :shutup:

Motu
14th October 2010, 21:29
You've been hanging around with the wrong people.In the 40 years I've been riding bikes I don't think anyone has ever said I should give them up,or anything else negative for that matter.My mother bought me my first bike ($60 for a BSA Bantam),and always took an interest in all my bikes,my Aunties and Cousins always asked what I was riding when I saw them,my brother still rides (in Canada),and we are always in contact about bikes.No one I have ever worked with has had anything negative to say about me riding bikes...in fact most are interested in my bikes.

Maybe it's your attitude,bikes are so much a part of me they are almost my personality.

ellipsis
14th October 2010, 22:22
You've been hanging around with the wrong people

...i dont understand people that dont wanna ride a motorbike...but i cant fathom people who want to knock balls around with metal sticks...or play cricket....either

Berries
14th October 2010, 22:23
I work in road safety so get shit all the time from people who don't get it. So I wind them up further about it. Step mum hates motorbikes, so that's another incentive to keep on riding.

But then some bike people don't get it either. Has there ever been a "Why I ride" thread ? I know my reasons are incompatible with some of the views on KB. And my job, which is a bit of a pisser.

Argyle
14th October 2010, 22:25
It's just like we don't get it why they don't get it...

Jantar
14th October 2010, 22:35
.... Has there ever been a "Why I ride" thread ? ....
Sure has. http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/22520-Why-I-ride?

Gremlin
14th October 2010, 22:42
growing old is mandatory, growing up is completely optional.

I was once between bikes for 3 weeks, including 12 days on a cruise. Torture.

hellokitty
15th October 2010, 06:14

I know of a lot of guys who's partners 'encouraged' them to give up biking. MrsB has had comments on me still riding over the years - her reply is usually something like "he had a bike long before he met me' Mind you she has also been know to tell me to 'bloody get out for a ride' apparently I'm a better person after one!

:yes: My husband races a speedway sidecar and I get hassled for it by non bikers - "He is too old, should give up, too dangerous blah blah".

He raced before he met me, I went into this relationship knowing this and I chose to be with him. Yes I worry, but no way in hell would I tell him to give it up.
I learnt a long time ago that you can't change someone, and I wouldn't want to be with someone that I could push around and make him give up a hobby that he loves.
It goes both ways - he had to ride behind me while I was learning on my GN250, and I am sure I was doing things that had him worried.

Grubber
15th October 2010, 06:31
I don't get people who sit on some strange apparatus in the gym and sweat for an hour and i don't get people who sit in front of the tele for hours and i d......oh what the fuck,,,they all should be out riding....I GET THAT!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

BoristheBiter
15th October 2010, 06:59
I get the same sort of stick about hunting. Boys & Guns comments are quite common.

But I don't live my life to please other people, I live it to please my wife, kids, cats, bank, boss . . . . . . . Shit, I'm sure I'm on the list somewhere!

Yep get the same every roar but they all love the free venison.

I have found that the ones that respond this way are the ones that think that to be old and grown up is to remove all fun from the world. Just because their lives are boring so no one should have fun because they don't.

Me and the misses ride, shoot, ski, jump out of planes, anything that gets the heart racing. some people can't see the fun in this, but then I have never seen the fun in renovating a house or gardening either.

ellipsis
15th October 2010, 07:54
.....I had a craziness for fishing some years back...badly hooked I was...my wife mentioned once and only once, after me dragging some busted bones and a bent racing bike home, that she wished I did more fishing...less dangerous etc, etc....I thought about it...for two seconds... and got rid of my fishing gear.... a few years later she suddenly went out and got her licence and a bike....if I suggested we went fishing now, she would tell me to fuck off and get the bikes out , we are off for a ride...and stop being a soft prick...

Delerium
15th October 2010, 07:55
I know what you mean (even at my young age, must be the throbbing delerium)
I have a few friends and family "dissapointed" on my purchase of another bike. The old man understands, being a bike chap. It's like a red-head or foot fettish, people just don't get it.

Im not a throbbing anything!

ckai
15th October 2010, 07:57
I get told "I'm mad" every time I ride down to the in-laws. Which makes me chuckle a bit since the father-in-law races cars and can't stand not having something fast in his life.

I'm pretty lucky with the folks how they used to ride in their younger years. The wife even sold her bike to Dad because he's wanted one again ever since I got mine. Both mum and dad totally get what riding is all about.

Come to think of it, ever since the wife and I have been riding we've gotten more of our mates into riding that have never had bikes! Obviously we look so cool on our bikes and all our mates wanna be like us :)

It was kinda cool to see Dad chuffed when he saw I brought a Trumpy as well.

Banditbandit
15th October 2010, 08:28

Yeah ... I was living with a chick in Chch. The day she said "When we get married you'll have to sell the bike ..." Was the day she packed her bags and left ...

(She was great in bed but I had no intention of marrying such a bubble head .. let alone selling the bike ...)

scissorhands
15th October 2010, 08:40
In the breeze is where its at, and no chick, can beat that.

Subike
15th October 2010, 08:51
The day a chick can ride me at 100mph is the day I will give up my bike.
I had a few fast ones, but they all fail going into second gear.

avgas
15th October 2010, 08:53

I took the mrs to the target club last night.
It was a bad idea as seeing her right next to me firing an scoped in Anshulz.....was quite attractive.
My score was shocking.

Likewise when I got to take photos of her on the bike, I had to refrain from doing her right there.

Some of my family ask "Don't you think riding is dangerous?"......I kindly inform them that I have been one reason they have power and water in some instances. And that me riding a motorbike is the least of their problems. I am far more dangerous with a computer or a screwdriver.

Banditbandit
15th October 2010, 08:59
The day a chick can ride me at 100mph is the day I will give up my bike.
I had a few fast ones, but they all fail going into second gear.

I love my bikes - and I spend as much time as I can on one ... but if you think that riding a bike is better than sex ... then you are doing something wrong ...

AllanB
15th October 2010, 09:27
You've been hanging around with the wrong people.

Maybe it's your attitude,bikes are so much a part of me they are almost my personality.

Maybe - lots of non-riding friends we have made over the years through the kids. There have been comments like 'but you have kids now - don't you think it is dangerous?' - I'll respond with something like - 'your husband plays rugby - are you not worried about him breaking his neck?'

Nah - good attitude - I think you nailed it re bikes being part of ones personality - they don't ride and can't comprehend it - like tonight - most Friday nights are spent in the shed doing 'bike stuff' - maybe cleaning it, or tweaking something or sitting there with a beer planning some whimsical modification. A dam fine way of winding down the working week.

Does not usually bother me, but MrsB had someone suggest this week that due to earthquake damage to our house I'll have to give up the bike and concentrate on the house! WTF, even she was not impressed. That comment was from someone who dropped $2k on a set of fancy push-bike wheels.

A funny side note is that I have also discovered that non-biking people perceive motorcycles to be extremely expensive to purchase - a friend with a $35k boat figured I'd shelled out a similar amount for my Hornet!

Subike
15th October 2010, 09:37
A funny side note is that I have also discovered that non-biking people perceive motorcycles to be extremely expensive to purchase - a friend with a $35k boat figured I'd shelled out a similar amount for my Hornet!

you have a friend who has a boat!! with the cost of search and rescue, the high drowning rate.....thats dangerous and expensive ......cant understand people who feel the need to go fast on water... it just eludes me.....

tigertim20
15th October 2010, 09:44
theyll never get it. be gratefull that you do!

onearmedbandit
15th October 2010, 09:51
It's nothing special about bikes.

People who have never sky dived don't 'get' why you'd jump out of a perfectly good plane
People who don't appreciate motorsports don't 'get' why someone can spend 8hrs watching bikes or cars go around in circles.
Etc etc etc.

If you are passionate about something, anything, you will never be able to explain it to someone who doesn't share the same or similar passion.

Banditbandit
15th October 2010, 13:05
you have a friend who has a boat!! with the cost of search and rescue, the high drowning rate.....thats dangerous and expensive ......cant understand people who feel the need to go fast on water... it just eludes me.....

I have a boat ... I don't go fast ... I just go fishing ...

AllanB
15th October 2010, 13:09
I have a boat ... I don't go fast ... I just go fishing ...

Friends with boats are good friends :yes::yes:

dilligaf_nz
15th October 2010, 13:16
I've ridden since I was 16 and gave up bikes when children started showing up in my life in my late 20's (my choice). My (now) wife always knew I'd had bikes and preferred bikes to cars any day. This year, at the ripe age of 39 I got back into riding, and ride every day to work (55km round trip) in all weather. I pick my 10 year old daughter up from school every day on the bike, and take either her or the wiff on rides on the weekends.
When I first showed up at work with the bike this year, I had numerous numbnuts make comments like "ahh, mid life crisis" , or the "do you know how dangerous that is" lines. The best one was my boss who took great pleasure in telling me about a "mate of his" who had decided to buy a bike (Triumph 1000+cc from memory) at 40, never having ridden before, and how he came off 2 weeks later and broken his leg, blah blah blah.. I then took great pleasure in pointing out that I've probably traveled more miles on 2 wheels than 4, and that his mate was clearly a fuckwit for buying a bike he clearly had no hope of riding properly..
I then was forced to also state that an old fat bastard like him should really give up surfing cause at his age and size as he was a danger to himself and he may get nailed by the Japanese fishing fleet..

Strangely enough, the conversation has never come back up..

My family never make any comments about the "dangers of riding" cause my 70 year old mother tootles around on a scooter (I've seen her, she's a danger to all, doesn't matter what she drives or rides) and my older sister has a bike too.

My in-laws are another whole opinionated kettle of fish though....

People should really learn that if we really wanted their opinion, we'd kick it out of them...

dilligaf_nz
15th October 2010, 13:18
:2thumbsup

BoristheBiter
15th October 2010, 13:21
People should really learn that if we really wanted their opinion, we'd kick it out of them...

+1
Should have just used that one setence. Nothing more to say.

Ronin
15th October 2010, 14:35
...I thought about it...for two seconds... and got rid of my fishing gear.... ...

Gold lol...

Bald Eagle
15th October 2010, 14:40

Best recommendation I've seen on here for ages +1 to that.

wysper
15th October 2010, 15:06
I get told "I'm mad" every time I ride down to the in-laws. Which makes me chuckle a bit since the father-in-law races cars and can't stand not having something fast in his life.

I'm pretty lucky with the folks how they used to ride in their younger years. The wife even sold her bike to Dad because he's wanted one again ever since I got mine. Both mum and dad totally get what riding is all about.

Come to think of it, ever since the wife and I have been riding we've gotten more of our mates into riding that have never had bikes! Obviously we look so cool on our bikes and all our mates wanna be like us :)

It was kinda cool to see Dad chuffed when he saw I brought a Trumpy as well.

crickey, that post almost makes it sound like your bike isn't imaginary :shit:

If you are passionate about something, anything, you will never be able to explain it to someone who doesn't share the same or similar passion.

This is pretty close to the truth! Although I am a cricket fan. The blackcaps have almost made me not one!!

Most people have no issues with ME riding, but the sideways looks I get when I say I take my 6yo daughter out is another matter, no one brave enough to say it to my face yet. Not sure why, I am a skinny little white guy that your average rabbit would take in a fight!

Still, been riding since 15, no plans to quit until I can't ride no more.

sunhuntin
15th October 2010, 16:51
never had anyone suggest i give up my bike. the people i surround myself with know the bike and i are a package deal.

there is a doddery old fart at work however, who seems to take pleasure in telling me the latest bike fatality. i simply turn around and tell him i would rather die tomorrow on my bike than live to be 100 and be reliant on some nurse to wipe my arse for me. he doesnt really have a comeback to that.

Hans
15th October 2010, 17:25
I love my bikes - and I spend as much time as I can on one ... but if you think that riding a bike is better than sex ... then you are doing something wrong ...

This topic needs a dedicated thread.

vifferman
15th October 2010, 17:42
This is far from being the first thread on this topic.
I don't actually care what people think about me riding, but the ones I really can't fathom are the ones like GadgetSteve at work: he's about six months older'n me, and lectured me about how dangerous bikes (or more correctly, bike riders) were.
What kind of a life is a long and boring life lived safely? :blink:
Fuck that for a life - I'd rather die.
But the original post was right: people who don't ride, don't get it. Like AllanB, I started riding as soon as I could - scrimped, saved, did odd jobs, sold everything I could, and bought my first bike (a CB175 - it was a few years before Allan's) when I was 15. Got my licence that year too.
Dunno iffen I'll ride till I'm 95, but I'll certainly do it until my mental accuity or joints are no longer up to it.

frogfeaturesFZR
15th October 2010, 20:24
:violin: if you have to explain to a non rider WHY you ride, you may as well do it in Martian, because they won't understand it anyway !

ckai
16th October 2010, 10:24

People who have never sky dived don't 'get' why you'd jump out of a perfectly good plane
People who don't appreciate motorsports don't 'get' why someone can spend 8hrs watching bikes or cars go around in circles.
Etc etc etc.

too right. Have you seen those crazy tiddly-winks players!!!??? Just try and tell them tiddly-winks is over-compensating for something and they should play a man's sport like chess! I still have to have a band-aid on my left testicle from the bite marks!

Parents with boats are better ;) Especially when they're too busy to take it out and say "as long as it's getting used" :) Find by me.

crickey, that post almost makes it sound like your bike isn't imaginary :shit:

This is pretty close to the truth! Although I am a cricket fan. The blackcaps have almost made me not one!!

Most people have no issues with ME riding, but the sideways looks I get when I say I take my 6yo daughter out is another matter, no one brave enough to say it to my face yet. Not sure why, I am a skinny little white guy that your average rabbit would take in a fight!

Still, been riding since 15, no plans to quit until I can't ride no more.

Well at least I'm not an imaginary person!!!! So there!!! haha

To tell you the truth I've often thought about whether I would take me kids (well kid at this stage) on a bike. Off road definitely, on road I'm not too sure. Dunno what it is. I suppose it comes down to if I went to avoid something I'm prepared to sacrifice myself and an adult pillion but I'd feel my kids wouldn't really no what to do.

If they start riding themselves from a stupidly young age, sweet, they'll learn themselves what to do. Which reminds me, I really should get the pocket bike going for the little one. He'll be 1 in Feb so don't want him to grow out of it :)

raftn
16th October 2010, 17:05
My Business partner is a multi millionaire, absoutly hates bikes, with a passion, takes great delight in telling me all the latest fatalities. His passion is Tv and golf, thats it, tv and golf, he even took life insurance out on me in case i wipe out!!! I just ignore him now, never tell him about my travels and the great people i meet and the places I go. My parents are in there sixties and think it is great, in fact they know how much it means to me and I have even taken them for rides. When people understand you, they understand you! There is no point even trying to convince those that don't understand. So I don't....

ynot slow
16th October 2010, 17:07
Much like operatic society,some like it others don't.

Kickaha
16th October 2010, 17:09
His passion is Tv and golf, thats it, tv and golf,

Tell him he's a dead man walking

4. GOLF: It may be just below boxing and ice hockey in the brutality stakes, but golf is right up there in the death stakes. Some figures suggest more than 4,000 of us take our last breath on the fairway every year. It's also a killing field when it comes to bad weather, with five per cent of all lightning-related deaths taking place on the golf course.