PDA

View Full Version : Headlights on/off during daytime?

zadok
9th June 2005, 12:02
I checked to see if this had been raised before and couldn't find it.
I leave my headlight on always. I believe that it gives drivers a better chance of seeing me. I've managed to survive 22 years of riding with only a few narrow misses.

My first poll, so hope it works. Choices are:
1. Always
2. Never
3. Only on Open Rod
4. Only in City/Town

+ Reasons for your choice.

bugjuice
9th June 2005, 12:10
mine is fixed/hard wired on, no choice. But the full beam is quit bright (ay Nhuan?) so that comes out in the dark when I want daylight..

marty
9th June 2005, 12:13
hard wired on.

XP@
9th June 2005, 12:15
I keep them on...

But have heard that if you are travelling with the sun low and behind you, turning your lights off actually improves your profile to oncoming vehicles.

Whilst this is logical, I generally forget to do this.

ManDownUnder
9th June 2005, 12:20
Hard wired on, but even if it wasn't - I'd leave it on (dipped)

marty
9th June 2005, 12:22
i've just realised, the question is 'are your lights on/off during the daytime?'

mine are always on, never off. there's no poll answer for that one. maybe zadok is a spin doctor for helen.....

eliot-ness
9th June 2005, 12:22
Always.... Make yourself as conspicuous as possible. Costs nothing and the excuse,'I didn't see him officer" doesn't apply. Volvo wire their cars with lights permanently on for safety reasons after a very in depth study. If it helps in car safety it must be good for bikes.

zadok
9th June 2005, 12:23
I meant to add that every now and then there is a push by some legislators, in Oz, to make having bike headlights on all the time, compulsory. As far as I know the MRA don't approve, especially to mandatory hard wiring of headlights.
Me...I just think it makes sense to be as visible as possible.

zadok
9th June 2005, 12:27
i've just realised, the question is 'are your lights on/off during the daytime?'
Good point. Should read just 'on'. I think people realise that. :Oops:

placidfemme
9th June 2005, 12:29
Mine stay on all the time :) And so do my partners on her FXR (But I couldn't vote twice lol)

Ixion
9th June 2005, 12:33
Always. And on the Whale, running lights too

Every little helps.

I still assume the idiots WON'T see me, and having seen me will ignore me, but at least it may help with the sensible ones

Even so, I still get "Sorry I didn't see you". "OK, so you're telling me you didn't see a hulking great BMW, about the size a a main battle tank, all white, with it's headlamp on , and another 32 watts of spaced running lights, and me in my fluoro yellow jacket". "uh yeah mate, sorry"

What do you SAY to such idiots.

Motu
9th June 2005, 12:44
My 2 Yamaha's are hardwired on,so have no choice,on the XLV750 I ran with the lights on to save the alt/reg - but still ended up doing 3 stators and a reg/rec.Otherwise I don't care if they can see me or not,so long as I can see them all is under control.In my younger days of riding ancient British bikes I had many oportunities to ride at night with no lights at all,in the city and open road - the best defensive rider training you can ever get,you have no idea how more aware you become.

Jabez
9th June 2005, 13:04
My current bike is hard wired on, but my previous bike wasn't & I used to ride with just the park light on.

Ixion
9th June 2005, 13:06
..In my younger days of riding ancient British bikes I had many oportunities to ride at night with no lights at all,in the city and open road - the best defensive rider training you can ever get,you have no idea how more aware you become.

Actually, in the days of 6volt Magdynos, you could often go faster and see better WITHOUT headlamps, provided there was a moon

Until somebody came the other way and blinded you with their lights, and then you couldn't see anything for 5 miles.

madboy
9th June 2005, 13:10
hardwired, but always run with the mainbeam on when on bikes that offer a choice. I'm all for increasing visibility... downside is sometimes visibility is not wanted...

Flyingpony
9th June 2005, 13:23
Always on (lo-beam)!
Mine are hardwired and automatically switch on/off with the engine.

Motu
9th June 2005, 13:35
hardwired, but always run with the mainbeam on when on bikes that offer a choice. I'm all for increasing visibility... downside is sometimes visibility is not wanted...
Lucky you don't live further north - you are likely to be the recipient of a ''lunge'' from a blinded Pajero driver.NOT a good idea to use full beam during the day.....not legal either.

zadok
9th June 2005, 14:49
My 2 Yamaha's are hardwired on,so have no choice,on the XLV750 I ran with the lights on to save the alt/reg - but still ended up doing 3 stators and a reg/rec.
I wonder if that is an older Yammy thing. My XZ550 was a great bike except for stator problems as well.....

Motu
9th June 2005, 15:14
The XLV750 is a Honda,the electrics were tightly packaged with no cooling for the regulator behind a hot running aircooled V twin.By the time you accessed the reg to test it had cooled down and was working perfectly - I lay in wait sacrificing stators until I could slip a noose around it's neck.

Lou Girardin
9th June 2005, 16:01
Used to use full everwhere until I got me dip beam brighter than a candle, now I just use full in 100 km/h areas. :blink:
And no, I don't care if I dazzle people. As long as the pricks see me I'm happiness filled. :D

PS I'm talking bright sunshine here. When it's dull I'm as considerate as the next guy.

Motu
9th June 2005, 16:15
And no, I don't care if I dazzle people.

How's your evasive tecnique these days? My rego number is YC 3809 incase you don't know what hit you....

Lou Girardin
9th June 2005, 16:38
You've missed me so far.
As I've missed you with the M1911A1.

Kickaha
9th June 2005, 17:14
I don't ever use my lights during the day,I've always assumed that no matter what I do the blind cage driving bastards won't see me anyway

Motu
9th June 2005, 17:16
You've missed me so far.
As I've missed you with the M1911A1.

sorry,I don't ride a motorcycle...yet - i'm only 12 and Mum lets me use the computer whenever I like.... :whistle:

Eurodave
9th June 2005, 17:55
I dont use lights on during daylight for 2 reasons,
1-my old Guzzis dont charge the battery below about 1500 rpm ie round town &
2- I dont believe that training cage drivers to look for only lights not cycles/motorcycles is very wise.
Have you ever got the old "Sorry mate didnt see you cause your lights werent on!!!" routine?...... WTF? In other countries that is an automatic admission of guilt but here in Godzone its just another excuse aimed at us "temporary NZers/organ donors"

zadok
9th June 2005, 18:38
Have you ever got the old "Sorry mate didnt see you cause your lights werent on!!!" routine?......
This was partly to do with why I started the poll. Wanted to see how many were lighting up during the day even tho they didn't have to and if they thought they were obliged to.
Looks like hard wiring is ultimately winning, as there is no option.

zadok
9th June 2005, 18:39
This was partly to do with why I started the poll. Wanted to see how many were lighting up during the day even tho they didn't have to and if they thought they were obliged to.
Looks like hard wiring is ultimately winning, as there is no option.
Did that make sense? Anyway, hope you get my drift. :whistle:

Motu
9th June 2005, 18:59
does to me...

Jeremy
9th June 2005, 19:34
I always leave my lights on. From the couple of bike cops I've seen they leave their lights on, the road code and John Wright also said to so what the hell I just leave them on.

NhuanH
9th June 2005, 20:05
hard on...

Hitcher
9th June 2005, 20:18
hard on...
How many times do I have to tell you people that you can't have a proper hard-on without a hyphen!

NhuanH
9th June 2005, 20:22
How many times do I have to tell you people that you can't have a proper hard-on without a hyphen!
so solly, me no good wid Engrish. When me graduate ESOL course, mebbe me know bout these flash hyphen thing you talk bout Mista Hitcha

boomer
9th June 2005, 22:02
Hard wired. :cold:

Goddess of Goof
9th June 2005, 22:21
:yes:
I always have the lights on because the Suzy is hard-wired, and I'm quite glad of it. The Yammy isn't hard-wired, but I always put the lights on - the Poll looks like most of us choose to us the headlights.

Another thing I do - which I sometimes feel self-conscious about - [ hyphenated, dear Mr-Hitcher !!]

Is weave from side to side a little - in situations where I can see the cagers lined up, waiting for a gap in the traffic, and I'm next. I reckon they might think it's OK to pull in front of me, even tho' I've got the Right of Way.

I just want their brains to connect with the fact that "Huh, there is a motorcyclist coming through, and hey, look, its weaving a little, huh, better not pull in front of it ........"

Cos I don't look very scarey or anything :nono:

Ixion
9th June 2005, 22:30
Is weave from side to side a little- in situations where I can see the cagers lined up, waiting for a gap in the traffic, and I'm next. I reckon they might think it's OK to pull in front of me, even tho' I've got the Right of Way.

I just want their brains to connect with the fact that "Huh, there is a motorcyclist coming through, and hey, look, its weaving a little, huh, better not pull in front of it ........"

Weaving is very good because it makes their brains connect to the fact that you are there . People don't always "see" what their eyes see . It's a fact that a MOVING light is a lot more noticeable than a stationary one. As is a flashing light but we can't have them because the wankers in Wallyton banned headlamp modulators.

So weave to your hearts content, it's a jolly good safety trick

Zed
9th June 2005, 22:35
I believe that it gives drivers a better chance of seeing me. I've managed to survive 22 years of riding with only a few narrow misses.Wow, with only a few narrow misses over so many years you're doing exceptionally well there Zadok - Someones looking out for you! :innocent:

I think that the hard-wired headlight should be compulsory for all road bikes, it is one of the best & safest innovations the manufacturers ever introduced IMHO. Does anyone know how long they've been doing it for, and who was first to introduce it? :unsure:

zadok
9th June 2005, 22:46
Wow, with only a few narrow misses over so many years you're doing exceptionally well there Zadok - Someones looking out for you! :innocent:
You said it Brother :niceone:

FROSTY
9th June 2005, 23:00
I wear black leather and helmet and ride a black bike with whisper quiet exhausts.
You wont catch me with those namby pamby needing to put lights on shite.

Then I wake up and pull on my fluro vest and yellow helmet and hop on my bike with its 55w low beam on.

oldrider
9th June 2005, 23:06
I like to have control of my lights so that I can choose when they are on or off. I get more saftey by flashing my headlights at the pricks who look at you and you know they are going to drive strait out in front of you. Then you use a loud horn and suitable finger salutes to emphasise your displeasure. You don't have time for that in town so turn them on all the time then. I have been riding bikes for 51 years. (some times I confess I have almost broken the law) Cheers John.

zadok
9th June 2005, 23:06
I wear black leather and helmet and ride a black bike with whisper quiet exhausts.
You wont catch me with those namby pamby needing to put lights on shite.
Then I wake up and pull on my fluro vest and yellow helmet and hop on my bike with its 55w low beam on.
I've seen your pic with the bike and your son. I bet you are a softy really.
By the way, you look like that guy on 'Getaway' if you have it over there. (Ben Dark, I think) I'm going to watch it in half an hour, so I'll check on that.

Ixion
9th June 2005, 23:10
..I have been riding bikes for 51 years. (some times I confess I have almost broken the law) Cheers John.

Bugger me. You've beaten both me and Mr Eliot_Ness. Crikey, turns out I'm just a veritable babe in arms. Well done, keep it up . I certainly don't plan to give up so long as I can get into the saddle (even if it means being hoisted on to it like a medieaval knight)

Ixion
9th June 2005, 23:13
I think that the hard-wired headlight should be compulsory for all road bikes, it is one of the best & safest innovations the manufacturers ever introduced IMHO. ..

Don't like hard wired, don't like compulsory. What's the point of hard wiring, it'd have to be a right nong couldn't figure out how to turn the lights on. I agree with Mr Oldrider I like to control my own lights.

Motu
9th June 2005, 23:45
And it's bloody stupid to have your lights hard wired on when you haven't used the bike in 6 weeks and the fuel in the bowl has gone off and the fuel pump only works when the engine is running and you only have one shot at firing this thing up otherwise the battery needs to spend all day on the charger - and in 30 secs the headlight has drained the battery.

Give me the choice or I'll take it myself without permission.

Mr Skid
9th June 2005, 23:51
And it's bloody stupid to have your lights hard wired on when you haven't used the bike in 6 weeks and the fuel in the bowl has gone off and the fuel pump only works when the engine is running and you only have one shot at firing this thing up otherwise the battery needs to spend all day on the charger - and in 30 secs the headlight has drained the battery.Wow, that would suck. Happen to anyone we know?

Ixion
9th June 2005, 23:57
And it's bloody stupid to have your lights hard wired on when you haven't used the bike in 6 weeks and the fuel in the bowl has gone off and the fuel pump only works when the engine is running and you only have one shot at firing this thing up otherwise the battery needs to spend all day on the charger - and in 30 secs the headlight has drained the battery.

Give me the choice or I'll take it myself without permission.

Said it before. What wally decided to leave the kickstarter off bikes.

FEINT
10th June 2005, 00:44
Hard wire on!

It doesn't cost anything to keep the lights on.... so may as well keep them on! :niceone:

Gremlin
10th June 2005, 00:53
A mates ZXR250 is hardwired, he gets low beam and high beam. Was quite surprised to hear that I have a choice.

Now that I have actually fitted my headlight, I get off, park, low, and high. And I leave the bike permanently on low, even when off. Never really noticed a problem starting, but its ridden almost everyday, and the battery is also new.

Waylander
10th June 2005, 01:01
Mine is hardwired to be on all the time.

Been a bit dodgy lately but not having the correct headlight will do that I guess. Having the high beam on actually make it less bright. (dark enough to not even be good as dipped) Also today while riding back from Pack&Save turning on the left indicator made all the lights on my bike flash but the right indicator still worked fine. Go figure...

FROSTY
10th June 2005, 01:24
you need to sort out a dead short or two methinks

Motu
10th June 2005, 07:50
Said it before. What wally decided to leave the kickstarter off bikes.
I bet it was Honda - they do all the silly things and the rest follow like sheep.

The Tazman
10th June 2005, 10:28
Have always left them on and always will it is just common sense to me. Some cagers are still so bad they still don't see you.

awd
10th June 2005, 10:28
I bet it was Honda - they do all the silly things and the rest follow like sheep.
Like introducing the hardwired thing on their Oz/NZ spec bikes. Mines a UK spec so I have the choice, but leave it on dip all the time; I just pretent I'm winking!

ManDownUnder
10th June 2005, 10:40
I thought it was cold air that turned the headlights on - or that just a girl thing??:rofl:

MDU

scumdog
10th June 2005, 10:56
Hard-wired AND two MeltyerRetinas running lights (use only in daytime 'cos they create a shitload of peripheral (sp Mr H.?) glare which is good during the day, particularly to make drivers on side roads/drive-ways aware of my approach.

Matt Bleck
15th June 2005, 20:18
Yip mine are hard wired on too.

LB
16th June 2005, 05:26
j
j
Both my bikes are hard wired.

I used to always ride with my lights on dip on my previous (non-hard wired) bikes. I always started them with the lights off to try to make it a bit easier on the battery - not sure if it makes any difference or not.

Hamish's Suzuki is hard wired, his BMW isn't. Useful when he's on his Beemer, as if he wants something he turns his headlight off and I know to stop (I usually ride in front).
j
j

DingDong
18th June 2005, 00:11
hard wired :ride:

Jackrat
19th June 2005, 15:57
I have my head light disconnected.
1.it's hard wired but the system can't handle it.
2.I don't belive car drivers don't see you.
I belive they do see you but choose to ignore you.
I've never had any trust in them and ride accordingly.
I very seldom have any issue with car drivers and the very few times I have I know damn well they saw me but chose to ignore me.
The last time was in town (Waiuku)the guy came up to the intersection looked me right in the eye (open face)hesitated a bit then put his foot down.
I could allmost see his tiny little brain working out his chances an was fully prepared for what he did.
He wasn't prepared for what I did,but I bet he doesn't do the same thing again for a while.
I had a fair idea where he was headed so I ducked around the block an pulled into the shoping center car park just as he got out of his car.
He knows a lot more about his heritage now than he did before that day :rofl:

thehollowmen
19th June 2005, 16:33
DL650s can't have the headlight turned off.

I'm also used to driving with them on all the time because that is law in most parts of Scandinavia. The 4+ hour periods of twighlight cause problems and you really need the lights on.

Then again my headlights on the DL650 are wound down to the lowest setting, but people keep telling me they're on full beam and to turn them off. When I show them what full beam is... wow they get a shock.

The Preacher
19th June 2005, 17:09
Always on low-beam, hardwired and automatically switched off/on with engine start. :nya:

myvice
20th June 2005, 19:43
Always. And on the Whale, running lights too

Every little helps.

I still assume the idiots WON'T see me, and having seen me will ignore me, but at least it may help with the sensible ones

Even so, I still get "Sorry I didn't see you". "OK, so you're telling me you didn't see a hulking great BMW, about the size a a main battle tank, all white, with it's headlamp on , and another 32 watts of spaced running lights, and me in my fluoro yellow jacket". "uh yeah mate, sorry"

What do you SAY to such idiots.
What can you say? Himmm, What about pointing a flare gun at them and saying something along the lines of "DO YA THINK YOU WILL SEE THIS?!! WELL DO YA?" :ar15:

XP@
21st June 2005, 09:39
Hmmm... got all the way to porirua last night and realised my lights wern't on...
but then realised they were on, but just not much... it ain't charging :(

MoFunthanmost
26th June 2005, 18:48
hardwired, but would have on regrdless, I know I notice/see other road users with their lights on faster than those without, so I reckon it's gotta help me get noticed. ;)

Aitch
26th June 2005, 22:22
And indicators too! Bloody good job. If I thought it would help i'd glue a strobe to my helmet.

Beemer
29th June 2005, 14:49
My bikes' lights are hardwired, but I would ride with my light on dip anyway even if they weren't. I had visi-lights on the RG150 but that was just about the limit of what the electrics could cope with on that.

I've not had a problem with them not starting at this stage, but I can see the hardwiring would be a pain if the charge was low.

I figure the drivers have a hard enough time seeing bikes (hell, some of them don't see trains and they ALWAYS have their lights on!) that I'm not going to give them any more excuses. I must confess I want to slap drivers who say "they came up on me so fast that I didn't see them" about bikes. NO, they didn't come up fast, they were more than likely doing the legal limit but you weren't looking for anything smaller than a car - which is why so many pedestrians are bowled by morons!

Skyryder
7th July 2005, 20:04
The Drakes hard wired, so don't have any choice but if I did would ride with lights on ..................always.

Came across an article some time ago that claimed; during daytime lights should be on fullbeam. Tried this acouple of times but found the hi-beam dashlight distracting. Added to that was the odd driver flashing their lights. I doubt if a single hi-beam light is going to blind any oncoming traffic in daylight si I made the nataural assumption that there was a speed camera etc, ahead.

Now I just ride with light's on dip.

Skyryder

mstriumph
22nd July 2005, 02:06
like it !!.... not the self-conscious bit [with or without the hyphen] but the willingness to to whatever is necessary to get onself nooooticed [in the nicest possible way of course] :apumpin:
I generally ride with my lights off but have no hesitation in flicking them on and off when coming to an intersection or whatever where the traffic doesn't seem to be concentrating sufficiently - I have also been know to weave and even wave and blow kisses if the situation seems to need it ....... :whistle: works for me!

*thinks .. I probably DO look scarey...*

:yes:
I always have the lights on because the Suzy is hard-wired, and I'm quite glad of it. The Yammy isn't hard-wired, but I always put the lights on - the Poll looks like most of us choose to us the headlights.

Another thing I do - which I sometimes feel self-conscious about - [ hyphenated, dear Mr-Hitcher !!]

Is weave from side to side a little - in situations where I can see the cagers lined up, waiting for a gap in the traffic, and I'm next. I reckon they might think it's OK to pull in front of me, even tho' I've got the Right of Way.

SPman
22nd July 2005, 07:09
Wow, that would suck. Happen to anyone we know?
YES!

I doubt if a single hi-beam light is going to blind any oncoming traffic in daylight

Oh yes it does!

Cary
22nd July 2005, 09:24
Mine are hard wired on (XT) but i would prefer to have the choice. I have run a Visibike kit or similar for the last 20 years tho. If i didn't have the Visibike would run with lights on at all times.

skidz
22nd July 2005, 10:31
Hard wired as it is standard on the Harleys these days.

Brett
22nd July 2005, 12:46
My ZXR 250c is hardwired that the lights are always on. I like it this way...themore i stand out, the less the chances of being taken out!

rammstein636
22nd July 2005, 13:47
After hitting the side of a car that pulled out infront of me at an intersection i turned around to make sure a car wasn't going to rear end me. when i turned back the car was gone. My point. Car drivers are complete f*$% tards. I drive with lights on but will never assume to be seen.

SARGE
22nd July 2005, 15:10
mine are hard wired. even if they were not i would still run with them on , and running hight beams during the day (if im blinding them, at least they see me... :finger: )

i also run a Kriss Headlight Modulator that flashes the highs/ lows 240 times a minute.. almost a strobe effect (not legal in NZ, but i'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6... :no: )

vifferman
22nd July 2005, 15:24
i also run a Kriss Headlight Modulator that flashes the highs/ lows 240 times a minute.. almost a strobe effect
That's 4 times a second - do they have time to go off and on in that time? Wouldn't they just be pulsing very slightly?
Does it shorten the lifetime of the bulbs?

Ixion
22nd July 2005, 15:45
That's 4 times a second - do they have time to go off and on in that time? Wouldn't they just be pulsing very slightly?

I understand not. the light (I believe) doesn't really flash, just sort of flickers in brightness. They are very popular in the States. I looked at getting or making one, but was deterred by their illegality. Damn stupid law. They also do the same thing for tail lamps .

vifferman
22nd July 2005, 15:47
I understand not. the light (I believe) doesn't really flash, just sort of flickers in brightness. They are very popular in the States. I looked at getting or making one, but was deterred by their illegality. Damn stupid law. They also do the same thing for tail lamps .
Damned stupid bureacrats. You'd think they'd be happy with anything that reduces motorcycle accidents. But then, that's not their function is it? They're the anti-fun, anti-commonsense brigade. Them. Pah!!

SARGE
24th July 2005, 21:46

they never go "off" they just modulate between hi and lo beams. if you are near colemans and see my bike, stop in, i'll show ya.. pretty wicked and gets me noticed in traffic. very handy coming down the motorway.

actually cools the bulb, therefore lengthening its lifspan.

also, has a daylight sensor. only functions in full daylight.

SARGE
25th July 2005, 11:50
*****exerpt****

Modulator Background:

Since having one's headlights on improves vehicle head-on recognition to other vehicles (and because the inept public lacks the common sense to turn on headlights during dawn/dusk, fog, rain, snow, smoke and other poor-visibility conditions) some automobile manufacturers, and most notably General Motors, began installing Daytime Running Lights - DRLs - as standard equipment on their autos. DRLs automatically operate the auto's high-beam lamps at reduced voltage (less brightness) whenever the ignition switch is on, with NO operator action... which is a good idea to make cars more visible in reduced-visibility situations, but is a bad idea for motorcyclists who then lost their safety edge from having their lights on all the time. Now with the common use of DRLs, a motorcycle could be lost in a "sea" of turned-on headlights during daylight conditions. Something was needed to make the motorcycle stand out from the crowd once again. Enter the 1990s and development of the motorcycle headlight modulator. With a modulator installed, the motorcyclist is once again able to be differentiated from other traffic, with the headlight pulsating, varying between two degrees of brightness.

The flickering of the high-beam is unmistakable. Disliked by some, misunderstood by many, it is seen by all. Simply put, MODULATORS GET YOU NOTICED ! And being noticed improves the odds that you'll be seen by an inattentive driver, ergo the chance for a collision with an auto is reduced.

Headlight modulator installation is recommended for the cycle's HIGH beam element, although it is legal on either high or low beam. The reason the high beam is preferred is because the high beam pattern illuminates the area to the center and left of the bike's centerline, which is the direction from which the majority of auto-cycle collisions occur... especially oncoming cars turning left in front of the cycle. The low beam pattern tends to illuminate the area to the center and right of the bike's centerline, a location where fewer auto-cycle collisions seem to originate. A common comment frequently reported in post-accident investigation dialogue is the auto driver saying "I never saw him." Perhaps it's because the driver wasn't looking at the cyclist, or looked "right through" the cyclist, not taking note of his presence. With a headlight modulator operating the high beam of the headlight, there is less potential for that statement to be made.

As I said... MODULATORS GET YOU NOTICED !

An important distinction that you should be aware of if you are considering the purchase of a modulator or defending its use, is that the modulating headlamp DOES NOT FLASH! Flashing is defined as the rapid turning on and turning off of power to the lamp. With a headlight modulator, the lamp never turns off, but rather power is varied between two different power levels at a specific rate of speed. Therefore it does not flash. It simply modulates (or pulsates, shimmers, twinkles or flickers, if you prefer)... Flashing lights are illegal on all but emergency vehicles. But Modulating lights are legal. But keep in mind that they are legal on motorcycles only. Automobiles are not permitted to have modulating headlamps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell Me More...

Four questions typically come up in conversations about headlamp modulators:

1. Isn't it hard to drive at night with the light flickering like that?

NO. There is a photo-sensor that disables the modulator circuitry once daylight falls below a pre-set level. As dusk approaches, the lower intensity of ambient light hitting the photo-sensor will tend to turn the modulator off, especially when driving under the canopy of overhanging trees or in and out of "shadow" areas. When that begins to happen, you'll know it. Reflected light from signs and roadside reflectors will make the light's change from modulation to steady high-beam apparent. It's time to switch to low-beam.

2. Won't my headlight bulb burn out from all that flickering?

NO again. Since the average power applied to the bulb filament is lower, the use of a modulator actually extends the usable lifetime of the modulated headlamp's bulb.

Headlight Modulator Etiquette:

During the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Experienced Rider Course I took during the summer of 2001, there was considerable debate over the proper way to "use" the modulator. While use of a modulator is indeed legal, some common sense should be used while it is in operation. Since it can be switched on and off at will using the headlight dimmer switch, there are times and situations in which it is reasonable and proper to turn it off:

When you are sitting behind a vehicle in traffic, your modulator can be a nuisance to the driver in front of you. This is especially true if you are far enough behind the other vehicle for your headlamp to shine in the driver's rear-view mirror.

When you are sitting at a red traffic light waiting to proceed through the intersection with nothing in front of you to block the light, your modulator may be a nuisance to a driver on the other side of the intersection facing you. Give him a break. Dim your headlight (turn off the modulator) until the traffic light turns green and you can proceed.

If you are going to be stationary behind any vehicle for more than a few minutes, do the driver ahead of you a favor. After following someone for a while, it will become clearly obvious to you that the driver in front has noticed you. Put your headlight on low beam (modulator off) until you prepare to pass the driver.

Turn off your modulator when you are riding in a group, unless you are the lead bike. The lead bike's modulator will stimulate enough of the oncoming driver's attention for the whole group. If you're riding in the "drag" or "sweep" position, you can give the leader an occasional "twinkle" on a long straightaway to let the tour leader know how far back the tail end of the group is, without being an annoyance to the rest of the group. (This applies more to LARGE group rides like Americade's mini-tours, where there may be 50-60+ bikes in the tour group.)

Keep common courtesy in mind. Remember that a modulating high beam can be as much of an assault on one's eyes as loud pipes are on one's ears. Act accordingly. Act responsibly. And remember that the impression you leave on the public reflects on ALL motorcyclists!

NOTE 1

Selected excerpts from the Hurt Study** supporting use of a Headlamp Modulator:

In multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents. The driver of the other vehicle involved in collision with the motorcycle did not see the motorcycle before the collision, or did not see the motorcycle until too late to avoid the collision.

Intersections are the most likely place for the motorcycle accident, with the other vehicle violating the motorcycle right-of-way, and often violating traffic controls.

Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps (on in daylight) and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets.

The typical motorcycle pre-crash lines-of-sight to the traffic hazard portray no contribution of the limits of peripheral vision; more than three-fourths of all accident hazards are within 45deg of either side of straight ahead.

Conspicuity of the motorcycle is most critical for the frontal surfaces of the motorcycle and rider.

Any effect of motorcycle color on accident involvement is not determinable from these data, but is expected to be insignificant because the frontal surfaces are most often presented to the other vehicle involved in the collision.

Motorcycles equipped with fairings and windshields are underrepresented in accidents, most likely because of the contribution to conspicuity and the association with more experienced and trained riders.

** Motorcycle Accident Cause Factors and Identification of Countermeasures, Volume 1: Technical Report, Hurt, H.H., Ouellet, J.V. and Thom, D.R., Traffic Safety Center, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90007, Contract No. DOT HS-5-01160, January 1981 (Final Report)

we need these things down here..i have never had a bike without one .. they really DO make a difference

Ixion
25th July 2005, 12:02
snip heaps of really good stuff about modulators

I think they are a really good idea. have done ever since I found out about them

But I've been put off making/buying one because of the legality factor.

i'm interested that you actually use one.

Have you used it for long? Have you had any attention from Mr Plod over it ?. Have any cops noticed it but not pulled you up on it ?

How do you get on at WOF time ?

hoops
25th July 2005, 12:05
Lights are hardwired on my CBR1100XX... I normally ride with them on (dipped).... but miss not having the choice now.

SARGE
25th July 2005, 12:19
I think they are a really good idea. have done ever since I found out about them

But I've been put off making/buying one because of the legality factor.

i'm interested that you actually use one.

Have you used it for long? Have you had any attention from Mr Plod over it ?. Have any cops noticed it but not pulled you up on it ?

How do you get on at WOF time ?

i have used this one for 3 years here in NZ ( originally from the States..) i actually WANT attention from the cops over it ( i have pages and pages of laws and notes on thier usage from the US.. really love to get into court over it)

i just make sure the WOF building is dark enough to de-activate the modulator. :whistle:

i use this one..

http://www.kriss.com/modselect.htm

inlinefour
31st July 2005, 15:59
If the key is on then the light is on. There is no light on/off button... :ride:

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 18:26
always on. day and nignt! be seen and be safe(r). dnt be too safe though, point that headlight at the sky at all posible times

crash harry
5th September 2005, 14:15
Lights always on, but I prefer the ability to turn them off especially for cold cranking purposes.

Have considered building a module to automatically bring them on as long as there is oil pressure - ie they come on when the engine is running but not when the ignition is just turned on. It's on the "one day" list

Right Charlie
5th September 2005, 20:37
Lights always on, but I prefer the ability to turn them off especially for cold cranking purposes.

Have considered building a module to automatically bring them on as long as there is oil pressure - ie they come on when the engine is running but not when the ignition is just turned on. It's on the "one day" list
Just Wire a Horn Relay Paralell to the factory oil pressure sender. Thats just a switch thats connected when pressure is less than 10 psi or so.

If you run the Light's wires through the normally open part of the relay, any time that power is supplied to the relay (ie Oil Pressure = Zero) your lights will turn off.

However, the down side to this plan is that if your engine ever craps out at night you loose your head lights too... :S

vifferman
6th September 2005, 16:49
longharied goats. :yes:

Ixion
6th September 2005, 18:05
longharied goats. :yes:

Longgoatally ?

limbimtimwim
6th September 2005, 20:39
Mine are stuck on too. And that is why I have marked *that* fuse with a little white dot.

Mr policeman.

froggyfrenchman
16th September 2005, 18:39
on, when i remember (98%)

crazyxr250rider
1st October 2005, 13:01
hmmm good to se a couple of vampires around...............?

metric
9th April 2006, 15:44
Always.... Make yourself as conspicuous as possible. Costs nothing and the excuse,'I didn't see him officer" doesn't apply. Volvo wire their cars with lights permanently on for safety reasons after a very in depth study. If it helps in car safety it must be good for bikes.

In North America - all cars have their lights hard-wired on...

BarBender
9th April 2006, 18:58
My lights aren't hardwired.
But my experience tells me that my brain should be...consequently my lights always go on after I press the starter button.

Shadows
11th April 2006, 00:05
Lights on at all times unless I want to charge the battery. Doesn't always work though.
What I have found however is that whenever I have had my rifle on my back, no cage driver has ever even looked like wanting to pull out on me.
Can't see you, my arse!

Bob
11th April 2006, 08:14
Just bought an ER-6f, which is AHO (Automatic Headlights On - or hardwired to the rest of us!).

But before that I've always ridden with the lights on in daytime.

There are a lot of conflicting studies about this subject - for all the ones that say there is a benefit, there are others that say that lights on in daytime makes it harder for other road users to judge the distance you're away from them.

I would say though, that I'd be happy for bikes to have AHO, but not cars. If all vehicles go AHO, then we lose any benefit of conspicuity. And we're back to that night-time problem of our light being directly in line with one of the lights of the truck behind... so we look like one of their lights and effectively become invisible. This is why I wear other reflective items (reflective stickers on the helmet and reflective strips on the gloves, jacket and trousers (if I'm wearing the waterproofs). Anything to make me stand out against the background.

babyB
11th April 2006, 09:08
mine are hard wired. even if they were not i would still run with them on , and running hight beams during the day (if im blinding them, at least they see me... :finger: )

i also run a Kriss Headlight Modulator that flashes the highs/ lows 240 times a minute.. almost a strobe effect (not legal in NZ, but i'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6... :no: )

likes this idear very much, thanks for the insite:niceone:

mine are hard-wired. would always have them 24/7 even if they wernt

huck farley
7th December 2007, 15:37
When I turn the key on only the low beam side comes on. The full beam is of unless I put it on full beam. So it looks as if I have a headlight out.

I have had a couple of close shaves as a result of piss poor illumination (big word for a Friday) So I did what millions of bikers are doing all around the planet and paid a fortune to have HID (high Intensity discharge) lamps fitted.

These things are so bright tin tops can see you from a mile away I have both adjusted very low so not to blind anyone. No flashes at night as yet, so I must have the beams in the right place on the road.

Riding at night is like riding at noon on a sunny cloudless day. I know they are illegal in NZ, but quite frankly I don't give a shit. It's my life, and I will preserve it at any cost. If you are in the position to buy some. Go and do it. Don't buy Asian rubbish buy from the States or England. Much better quality and will last. Forget the junk on Trademe, as that's what it is. Junk...

zadok
7th December 2007, 16:41
Wow, this is a thread I started a loooooong time ago!
At the time I had a bike that wasn't hard-wired, so hence the thread. I think they are all hard wired these days.
The Tigers, certainly the older model, are designed to only have the one light on when dipped. The guy who had the bike before me put a relay in so that they both work all the time.
I have since had the +50 bulbs put in for a bit extra brightness.

HRT
7th December 2007, 16:48
Usually have mine on low beam. You bastards out there with highbeams on all day are a pain in the ass

No FX
7th December 2007, 19:18
mine are on 100% of the time i dont think ive ever turned the switch off.

Mom
7th December 2007, 19:21
Junk...

Anyone would think you are selling these HID bulbs! Nice dredge of thread though!

Toaster
7th December 2007, 20:58
Usually have mine on low beam. You bastards out there with highbeams on all day are a pain in the ass

Agreed, the best highbeams are those present at a wet t-shirt competition on a cold day.

TOTO
17th December 2007, 22:57
Always on By Choice. As a new rider I still remember the road code and it spesifically sais it is a bloody good idea to have them on on a high beam, so thats what i do.

mstriumph
17th December 2007, 23:06
on - hardwired on the newer bike
off - by choice on the older

seriously, i'm sure they 'see' me better when i flash my lights on and off than when the only option i have is swapping between high and low beam

Dobie
15th April 2008, 20:22
I drive trains and with the headlights on.They still go across in front of us.So if they didn't see a train how do you expect them to see us unless they are doing something else as someone pointed out Texting for example.:Oi:

alanzs
10th May 2008, 22:00
Hardwired on. I have a 6000k HID light on my high beam that works quite nicely as well. I am seen, and that's what matters. Haven't had any legal issues at this time...

Just recently installed a rear LED flashing light. My wife saw me the other day as I was riding home and she said it was really noticeable as I split the traffic. EXCELLENT, I want those cages to see me!

Swoop
29th May 2008, 12:37
Hardwired on.
Previous bike had switchable "off/park/on" and was normally on.

Coldrider
29th May 2008, 13:47
Hard wired on, would I ride with them on had I choice, probably.
If they were made compulsory, I wouldn't like the lack of choice.

freddy72
29th May 2008, 17:49
I have always ridden with my lights on, hopefully other people see me that way.

LilSel
29th May 2008, 17:50
Mine are hardwired on too :)

CookMySock
29th May 2008, 21:57
hardwired on. On H.I.D fullbeam everywhere except at night. No one complains.

DB

mbazza
5th June 2008, 20:01
Suzuki, hardwired on, no problem. Cheers.:eek:

mowgli
5th June 2008, 20:08
Hardwired on. When approaching intersections with traffic that should give way before crossing my path I weave a bit to give the impression of flashing my headlight. Can't remember who told me it was a good idea but it's one of those things that kinda made sense and seems to have stuck.

MarkH
14th August 2008, 20:36
No off switch, but wondering if I should switch to full beam while filtering through traffic on the motorway.

dipshit
15th August 2008, 10:45
No off switch, but wondering if I should switch to full beam while filtering through traffic on the motorway.

Don't be a fucking cunt.

Vtwo Fiend
15th August 2008, 11:00
Mine are hard wired on but in the past i have always had them on

MarkH
15th August 2008, 16:18
Don't be a fucking cunt.

So you are suggesting that it would just annoy a few drivers and all the rest would still not notice me at all?

Rob Taylor
16th August 2008, 09:15
Hard wired on.Have always had light on when switchable:yes:

Tonka
21st August 2008, 04:26
Mine are hardwired on, I tend to flick onto full beam when coming up to side roads as cages approach the intersection just to make sure I am seen...can never assume they see us.

Subike
21st August 2008, 06:25
Having recently upgrded my lights to a twin light system, for me to run with my lights on during the day I risk having a flat battery because the charging system in my bike is not great, So I I run with my park lights on at all times. On my bike this includes the indercators, so I have two white and two orange lights going. This makes the bike stand out better than just having the head lights on, making it "different" thus seen easier.
As for the habit of using High beam during the day, IMO this can have a reverse effect by causeing a distraction for drivers and in some cases could cause the driver to think you are further away than you are. I also believe that It may me illegal to do so, but not sure on this. With the advent of HI light bulbs this would be worse. Dont expect you to be seen just because your lights are on. Drivers are blinded by sunstrike, similar to high beam strike, causing them to do irrational things

Resto lad
21st August 2008, 07:45
yup got no choice spooky is light on with the key.
hey may be i am a wimp. but at night I wear a hiviz vest.
not to be seen on the bike!!! OK but if i am knocked off,
(or error & fall from grace) :Oops: It is so any other on coming traffic
might see me and perhaps not squash me in to the tar seal.

besides no one can tell its me, mr think of the worst case saneario :cold:
Ill will be wearing my look at me wana bee helmet

Zuki Bandit
21st August 2008, 07:50
On all the time!

sels1
21st August 2008, 08:02
As for the habit of using High beam during the day, IMO this can have a reverse effect by causeing a distraction for drivers and in some cases could cause the driver to think you are further away than you are. I also believe that It may me illegal to do so, but not sure on this. With the advent of HI light bulbs this would be worse. Dont expect you to be seen just because your lights are on. Drivers are blinded by sunstrike, similar to high beam strike, causing them to do irrational things

Yeah, you dont want to become the object of target fixation by oncoming traffic - stick to low beam, if they dont see that, they are not going to see you anyway. (Mostly cause they aint looking, like the plonker who failed to give way to me this morning)

Max Headroom
21st August 2008, 09:21
I drive trains and with the headlights on.They still go across in front of us.So if they didn't see a train how do you expect them to see us unless they are doing something else as someone pointed out Texting for example.:Oi:

I have no problem with bikes having hard-wired headlights, or manually switched on during the day. I get concerned though, when I read some of the posts here and get the impression that some think they will be seen with their lights on hi-beam, or HID lights installed.

As Dobie said, some cage-drivers don't see trains. I regularly drive a white hi-roof sign-written van, and it never ceases to amaze me how often other drivers pull out in front of me. If they can't see a humungus white van, what hope is there for motorcyclists?

The other, more sinister issue is the shift of blame. "I didn't see you" could change to "his headlights weren't on" or worse still, "he wasn't wearing a Hi-Vis vest". Ultimately, there needs to be some responsibility carried by cage drivers for their actions.

I fitted a 20 watt parking light bulb to my bike and use that as a daytime running light. That and a silver helmet are my concessions to visibility. Beyond that, "the best form of defence is to attack......."

MarkH
21st August 2008, 09:38
Ultimately, there needs to be some responsibility carried by cage drivers for their actions.

I remember reading about a court case years ago where a car driver pulled out in front of a bike and caused an accident. The driver said "I didn't see him". The judge said "obviously he was there to be seen".

Hi-vis or not, headlight or not - car drivers are obliged to drive with due care & attention and should look carefully and see things that are there including bikes, pedestrians, cars, trucks, etc.

Obviously bike riders need to be prepared for the actions of the careless car/van drivers that could make a mistake that ends someone's life.