PDA

View Full Version : Model bikes

Blackbird
30th November 2002, 13:58
Has anyone else been a sad bastard and had a go at making a model of their bike? I had a go in the cold dark days last winter and built one of a K100 Beemer and one of my Blackbird. There were times when both of them nearly ended up being hurled against the wall. Just about went blind putting them together and when the paintbrush slipped....... real bad language.

Tamiya kits are really well made, but I understand that Revell kits are a bit of a mission!

Was quite pleased how the 'bird turned out and if I can attach the picture successfully, here it is.....

:done:

Blackbird
30th November 2002, 14:05
One more try.....

Blackbird
30th November 2002, 15:26
And here's the K100....

Skunk
3rd December 2002, 09:58
Nice job! I've had a kit sitting on the shelf for a while now (4 years!) :eek:

wari
3rd December 2002, 10:06
Good on ya Blackbird ... those pics look real nice.

Comon kiwizrx ... get that glue out we wanna see the finished product mate :)

Skunk
3rd December 2002, 13:04
Yeah, yeah:p
Got a house to do first then some riding and then a Linux box to sort into a server. Then comes spare time :D

Blackbird
3rd December 2002, 18:56
Thanks guys

Could only spend about 30 minutes at a stretch before losing patience. Those 2 have put me off modelling for the next 20 years!
:argh:

Coldkiwi
4th December 2002, 12:38
4 years? well that doesn't make me feel so bad. I don't have a model of mine.. I doubt anyone has even considered making a ZXR 250 model! But I got given a '98 NSR 500 model thats been maturing on the shelf in the box for 2 years now... byt the time it gets done it'll probably qualify as a classic!

models always seem to happen slowly for most people i know

LB
23rd May 2004, 16:24
It's a cold day outside, so after getting back from a ride decided to look at some old threads, and found this one.

Hamish has half-made several models from kits, he gets a bit sick of it because they are quite fiddly (as you so rightly state Blackbird).

We've got heaps of model kits waiting to be made up - all sorts - Ducatis, Suzukis, even a metal Britten model which cost about $400.

Have also bought quite a few "made up" models that sit in the china cabinet - several BMW's, a neat quite big MV Agusta F4, a big R1150R BMW.

Will wait for a wet winter's weekend and start making some of the kits up. Have had some of them for over 10 years. Most are 1/9 scale - that's quite big.

:Offtopic: Blackbird: found out last night you know Mangell6 and Matthewt from the 1000-milers. Hope you're enjoying the UK.

Blackbird
23rd May 2004, 16:34
You and Hamish have my sympathy, they really are a pain to build. If you stick to half an hour or so at a time, it isn't too bad though.

Yep, really enjoyed Mike and Matt's company on the 1000 miler as we have similar outlooks on life! Not sure what you mean about the UK though. I'm sitting at the PC in a now sunny Tokoroa!

Rgds

Geoff

LB
23rd May 2004, 16:47
Yep, really enjoyed Mike and Matt's company on the 1000 miler as we have similar outlooks on life! Not sure what you mean about the UK though. I'm sitting at the PC in a now sunny Tokoroa!

Rgds

Geoff
Opps - hi there Geoff....I thought Mike/Matt told me last night that you were over in the UK at the moment. Pse ignore my incorrect comment!!

Lynda

Ghost Lemur
23rd May 2004, 16:58
Don't know if this has been posted before but some of you might like to do a couple of these.

Yamaha paper craft models (http://www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainment/papercraft/realistic/index.html)

They're free do download (in pdf format). Then all you have to do is print them out (colour) and follow the instructions.

dangerous
23rd May 2004, 18:36
Hay thay aint all that bad to build up. I have a room full of the bloody little things cos when theres nothing but crap on the tube and its bucketing down out then its what I'll do. However with the invention of the PC I havent done a lot for a while but the latest would be a very rear 1/9 scale of a 1957 Moto Guzzi V8 500cc with gear drive cams 4 valve head and quad cams with water cooling..... nothings new aye? But my fav would be a 1/6 of the Honda CX500 Turbo which is just short of a foot (300mm) long.

Ms Piggy
23rd May 2004, 19:08
I would only be able to give one of those models 5 minutes at a time...patience is not my virtue! They look great though! I love the colour of the Blackbird...maybe I'll paint my bike that colur now instead if silver.

Indiana_Jones
23rd May 2004, 19:21
I'm currently manking a RG250 model :kick:
But my main model type is 1/35th ww2 :D
Plus I have a nice 1/400th Titanic :D

-Indy

pete376403
23rd May 2004, 23:09
Yeah, yeah:p
Got a house to do first then some riding and then a Linux box to sort into a server. Then comes spare time :D

Put E-Smith (aka Mitel SME) on it - that will take about 30-40 minutes. The house might take a bit longer

Lou Girardin
24th May 2004, 06:38
I built an Tamiya R75/5 Beemer when I was at Mongoose. It was for an alarm display and even though I was being paid to do it, it drove me nuts, never again.
Great models though.

Devil
24th May 2004, 10:04
1/5th scale Ducati 999 Radio Controlled ;)
http://rcvehicles.about.com/cs/rccars/a/neDucati999R.htm

I WANT!

boris
24th May 2004, 11:36
paper plus and toy world sell a 3-D puzzels of a kawasaki zx12r for around $20 it takes a few hours to do.you can also get a quad.some cars,trains & buildings (big ben).you build up a sekleton and then you clad it with a jig saw skin about 3mm thick.If your an elvis fan they have a gracesland with a lift off roof.

PuppetMaster
24th May 2004, 16:12
try making one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43047&item=2243464999&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Blackbird
24th May 2004, 17:42

When I went to this website to have a look, my Spybot anti-spyware, anti-keylogger programme informed me that it had blocked "Avenue A". Never mind Kazaa and suchlike, it's a bit sneaky when sites like this have their own spyware! No wonder it's so hard to get shot of spam :weep:

Here's what I found out about Avenue A from one site I visited:

Summary: A spyware cookie. Cookie is used to track unique visitors to many different sites, and their "preferences."
Vendor Notes: Avenue A provides "...Internet planning and buying, proprietary ad delivery and management, data collection and analysis, targeted e-mail, and enhanced marketing support, such as strategic partnerships and search engine optimization." Cookies and clickstream data are used to collect information.

Geoff

Devil
25th May 2004, 08:23
When I went to this website to have a look, my Spybot anti-spyware, anti-keylogger programme informed me that it had blocked "Avenue A". Never mind Kazaa and suchlike, it's a bit sneaky when sites like this have their own spyware! No wonder it's so hard to get shot of spam :weep:

Here's what I found out about Avenue A from one site I visited:

Summary: A spyware cookie. Cookie is used to track unique visitors to many different sites, and their "preferences."
Vendor Notes: Avenue A provides "...Internet planning and buying, proprietary ad delivery and management, data collection and analysis, targeted e-mail, and enhanced marketing support, such as strategic partnerships and search engine optimization." Cookies and clickstream data are used to collect information.
Geoff
Thats why I dont bother running a realtime spyware prog. Id rather see what I want, and clean it up at the end of the week :)

Ghost Lemur
25th May 2004, 12:13
Thats why I dont bother running a realtime spyware prog. Id rather see what I want, and clean it up at the end of the week :)

I find running Linux even better. :P

Motoracer
25th May 2004, 12:20

I WANT!

I wonder if it'll wheelie...

Devil
25th May 2004, 12:29
I wonder if it'll wheelie...
I was reading a review of one of the RC bikes (1/8th scale maybe) saying that it would :D

Stoppie? :D