PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie :) (GSF_Lou)

GSF_Lou
19th October 2010, 20:35
Hi guys, my names Lewis (everyone calls me Lou). I'm 27 and from Rotorua.
I've been into performance cars for a long time but have recently sold my baby (A heavily modified WRX Impreza) to free up some cash and with a bit left over I purchased my first road bike. I havent got it quite yet as its being shipped up from Wanganui in the next couple of days. Ive been studying the road code fiercely and will get my learner licence ASAP.
I've been a long term member of NZ's largest online Subaru community (clubsub.org.nz) and have made several friends through it by going to trackdays and meets etc and I hope to do the same here.

Heres a picture of the bike I bought, a GSF250 Bandit....
http://imgup.co.nz/i/anonymous/1287385609-124084210_full.jpg

Gibbo89
19th October 2010, 22:24
Welcome Lou,

Nice choice of bike, it will keep you entertained while going through the licenses. Check out the 'meetings and events' section and see if there is a ride in your area you can tag along to and learn some tips from some experienced riders.

Have you ridden a motorbike before?

Take opinions on here with a grain of salt, some pretty interesting people on here... :facepalm:

Enjoy KB

EJK
19th October 2010, 22:26
Welcome to KiwiBiker Forum Lou! - The home of experts and geniuses.

psycho22
20th October 2010, 00:15
Welcome to the forums mate.

250 Bandit is a nice choice.

If your ever in Taupo for a ride hit me up.:scooter:

baptist
20th October 2010, 21:20
Welcome and enjoy the bike:yes: ride safe and have fun:woohoo:

The Everlasting
21st October 2010, 07:19
Welcome to the forums,the Bandit's are great bikes,I own 2 myself..

p.dath
21st October 2010, 08:36
Motorbikes are as much fun as cars - just a lot cheaper.

You'll have lots of fun.

Taz
21st October 2010, 08:41

You'll have lots of fun.

Very few of my bikes have been cheaper to run than my car :(

Welcome Lewis.

p.dath
21st October 2010, 12:39
Very few of my bikes have been cheaper to run than my car :(

Welcome Lewis.

Buy yourself a performance car, and a performance motorbike. The motorbike is usually much cheaper.

My last V8 would go through about $100 petrol/week. My current bike does through about $25/week.

The car tyres cost up to $500/each, and I needed four of them. The motorcycle tyres have a similar cost, but I only need two of them.

The V8 was a lot more expensive to service than the bike.

But yes, there will be some cars cheaper to buy and maintain than a performance bike.

The Everlasting
21st October 2010, 13:28

You'll have lots of fun.

Motorbikes are much more fun than cars,it doesn't even compare.

GSF_Lou
22nd October 2010, 20:10
Thanks for the welcome people :)

I have owned a couple of dirt bikes CRF230R and a DR350. I can ride alright but dont have 100% confidence in my abilities. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can. Hopefully even get a track day or two under my belt :).

I'm sure I gonna enjoy having this bike and I hope like hell it doesnt cost me as much as my car did :P FYI I poured around 40k into it in the last 4 years (not including the price of the car itself). I drove it once a week and it cost me over $300 a month in insurance. Needless to say, theres a bit more money in my bank now that its sold :)

As for talking things on here with a grain of salt, I been on forums for a few years now ;) I know how they work. Stupid questions, stupid answers etc.:facepalm:

GSF_Lou
31st October 2010, 16:20
After a few drama's today and a decent afternoon ride, I took some better photo's.
As you can see I've removed the rack from the rear and shes looking alot better.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x429/GSF_lou/GSF250%20Bandit/Bandit-Side.jpg

Why cant I seem to embed the images? I've tried two different server sites and a few different methods. what am I doing wrong?

The Everlasting
2nd November 2010, 17:10
Ah looks like you have the VVT model,that means extra rattle etc...

GSF_Lou
2nd November 2010, 17:36
Rattles eh? where exactly?

2QL4SKL
2nd November 2010, 18:52
Hi guys, my names Lewis (everyone calls me Lou). I'm 27 and from Rotorua.
I've been into performance cars for a long time but have recently sold my baby (A heavily modified WRX Impreza) to free up some cash and with a bit left over I purchased my first road bike. I havent got it quite yet as its being shipped up from Wanganui in the next couple of days. Ive been studying the road code fiercely and will get my learner licence ASAP.
I've been a long term member of NZ's largest online Subaru community (clubsub.org.nz) and have made several friends through it by going to trackdays and meets etc and I hope to do the same here.

Heres a picture of the bike I bought, a GSF250 Bandit....
http://imgup.co.nz/i/anonymous/1287385609-124084210_full.jpg

Are you serious?! I am driving Subaru STI V7, I am a member of Clubsub as well, guess what, I am looking for my first bike too. I am think of getting GSF250 Bandit!!! I guess the Subbie fans have the same hobby! lol! Nice bike!

GSF_Lou
2nd November 2010, 19:04
Are you serious?! I am driving Subaru STI V7, I am a member of Clubsub as well, guess what, I am looking for my first bike too. I am think of getting GSF250 Bandit!!! I guess the Subbie fans have the same hobby! lol! Nice bike!

In the couple of weeks I've been a member here I've noticed a few people from forums I'm a member of. Not suprising give the size of this particular forum. I check back daily and am always overwhelmed by the amount of new posts.

Also, you'll have alot of fun with the bandit. Very easy to pickup/learn on yet it has a good amount of go with it too!

Oh and out of curiosity, whats you clubsub username?

The Everlasting
2nd November 2010, 19:42
Rattles eh? where exactly?

Oh I just meant they are a little noisier than the normal engine,cam rattles etc..

GSF_Lou
2nd November 2010, 20:03
Oh yup. As long as she doesnt rattle herself to bits!:eek5:

The Everlasting
2nd November 2010, 20:06
Oh yup. As long as she doesnt rattle herself to bits!:eek5:

Oh no,that won't happen...as long as you look after it and keep changing the oil.