PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help!! IE crashing

Waylander
9th June 2005, 19:22
Ok something is going on here. Everynow and then I get this message saying there is something wrong with IE and it shuts down on me. I've run ad-aware, spybot and windows virus checker they all come up empty. It didn't start doing this until I defraged my hard drive the other day. Pic of the message I get below. This is only happening on this site, all the others I use are fine.

Also my home page is changed. I get this aboutblank thing when my home page is supposed to be KB. I change it in my internet options but it changes back after the page window closes.

Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it?

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 19:25
Mine's doing it too, i send a report to MS each time, soon they'll get sick of it and fix it

bugjuice
9th June 2005, 19:26
tried binning the cache and cookies for this site (means you'll loose your 'auto login' til next time)? Look for files that have 'kiwibiker.co.nz' on, or from this site, or whatever Spank has called the cookies. Might be corrupt.

Also, do you have another user account on your PC? If so, try it on KB and see if you can get the same thing to happen. If you don't have another account, might be an idea to set one up as a 'just in case' thing..

Else, if all else fails, buy a mac.

John
9th June 2005, 19:29
simple answer spyware, go save yourself from that crap here

www.mozilla.org

Get FireFox
And
Thunderbird (as a outlook replacement)

I use both and never get spy ware ever nor viruses.

Waylander
9th June 2005, 19:31
I don't use outlook express. Gettin firefox now. Hopefully I wont get another one of those things while it's downloading.

John
9th June 2005, 19:35
I don't use outlook express. Gettin firefox now. Hopefully I wont get another one of those things while it's downloading.
Might also pay to run (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) once your done to get rid of the crap that IE has left in its wake....

ZorsT
9th June 2005, 19:36
Ok something is going on here. Everynow and then I get this message saying there is something wrong with IE and it shuts down on me. I've run ad-aware, spybot and windows virus checker they all come up empty. It didn't start doing this until I defraged my hard drive the other day. Pic of the message I get below. This is only happening on this site, all the others I use are fine.

Also my home page is changed. I get this aboutblank thing when my home page is supposed to be KB. I change it in my internet options but it changes back after the page window closes.

exactly that problem is what made me change to firefox. It was pissing me off so bad i almost formatted my harddrive... :mad:

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 19:38
Maybe spuds av caused it?

Grizz
9th June 2005, 19:41
Hmm strange, was looking at this thread, scrolled down a bit then got the same error message, its never happened before.

Maybe aliens have taken over KB'r :mad:

StoneChucker
9th June 2005, 19:57
Did all of you who are experiencing the problems I have already documented in the "Beta Testing" thread run the program that required "beta testing". If the only people experiencing problems are the ones who ran that program, then it's pretty fucken obvious where the problem lies, and I suspect someone will have a SHITload of explaining to do.

I'm sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but this only started for me the second after I ran that program (again, which didn't even work, just caused an error itself...).

well? :wait:

N4CR
9th June 2005, 19:59
Ohhh yes.. mozilla is 'the shizzle'.

By the way, waylander (lol that was too many 'ways' for one sentence), try stay away from weird themes and custom whatevermajiggies. I find that the computers that come in to be fixed with all those flashy cursors and icons and stuff always need fixing/reimaging, because the flash stuff brings a whole lot of nasties in with it :niceone:

When you get mozilla... make use of the tabbed browsing.. it is very usefull!

John
9th June 2005, 19:59
Did all of you who are experiencing the problems I have already documented in the "Beta Testing" thread run the program that required "beta testing". If the only people experiencing problems are the ones who ran that program, then it's pretty fucken obvious where the problem lies, and I suspect someone will have a SHITload of explaining to do.

I'm sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions, but this only started for me the second after I ran that program (again, which didn't even work, just caused an error itself...).

I will bet a billion dollars that my (shit) program does nothing want the source code?

Waylander
9th June 2005, 20:02
Nah mate it's not that cause I didn't even so much as open that file. It's gotta be something else.

Bugjuice: I just noticed the advice you gave up there(yea it did it to me again after I read HDTboy's response) I tried that and it is still doing it. Have another 56 minutes till firefox is downloaded and if that doesn't work, then I don't know what else to try.

Waylander
9th June 2005, 20:04
Ohhh yes.. mozilla is 'the shizzle'.

By the way, waylander (lol that was too many 'ways' for one sentence), try stay away from weird themes and custom whatevermajiggies. I find that the computers that come in to be fixed with all those flashy cursors and icons and stuff always need fixing/reimaging, because the flash stuff brings a whole lot of nasties in with it :niceone:

When you get mozilla... make use of the tabbed browsing.. it is very usefull!
Only thing of those that I have is the Halo one from the windows website. Got it several months ago so unless it was a delayed thing then I don't think that is it.

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 20:06

I wouldn't touch Johns handy work, and I'm affected by this problem

ZorsT
9th June 2005, 20:08

My problems happened months before that thread was even posted, so, no

Grizz
9th June 2005, 20:15
Nope didn't d-load any proggy :no:

RiderInBlack
9th June 2005, 20:17
Same problem has just started for me as well. Happen when I went to my User CP page and clicked on the "Ages" thread. This was before finding this Thread. Has happen twice tonight. If someone is fu*king about, they better hope that I don't find out who they are:kick: :bash: :ar15:

RiderInBlack
9th June 2005, 20:21
Same problem has just started for me as well. Happen when I went to my User CP page and clicked on the "Ages" thread. This was before finding this Thread. Has happen twice tonight. If someone is fu*king about, they better hope that I don't find out who they are:kick: :bash: :ar15: AND FUCKEN AGAIN:finger: :finger: :finger:

Mooch
9th June 2005, 20:46
Anyone know what's causing this and how to fix it?[/QUOTE]

It's someone Avatar causing IE to crash , get the same thing here.
Rather than loading yet another internet browser just go into your user Cp
click on "edit options" and make sure that "Show Avatars" is not selected. You and other IE users will be fine after doing this.

Waylander
9th June 2005, 20:49

click on "edit options" and make sure that "Show Avatars" is not selected. You and other IE users will be fine after doing this.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I doubt that considering that it started before I changed my avatar and even before John and tristank changed thiers. Still waiting on firefox to download.

Had it twice but when I tried running the instal program it said "unidentified error" third time's a charm I hope.

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 20:50
click on "edit options" and make sure that "Show Avatars" is not selected. You and other IE users will be fine after doing this.
You reckon?

Mooch
9th June 2005, 20:59
You reckon?

Here's the stange thing ... I turned off veiwing avatars in my profile and IE no longer crashed on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=12978, I then turned viewing avatars back on and all seems ok.WTF

HDTboy
9th June 2005, 21:05
Here's the stange thing ... I turned off veiwing avatars in my profile and IE no longer crashed on http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=12978, I then turned viewing avatars back on and all seems ok.WTF
It crashed 3 times while i was trying to open this thread and that one.

PS. I accept no responsibility for anything in that thread :shifty:

Ixion
9th June 2005, 21:12
I will bet a billion dollars that my (shit) program does nothing want the source code?

Must agree. It is not impossible that the program could cause problems WHEN RUNNING (though very unlikely). But unce unloaded it CANNOT cause any issues.

John
9th June 2005, 21:20
Actually, I think there was a .gif vunerablitly not so long ago - goto windows update if you have problems...
I think it was due to buffering and gif files, could also be spank having fun with the java, but I'm to lazy to look...

StoneChucker
9th June 2005, 21:22
Dammit, I'm short 60 bucks, after next payday? :whistle:
Hey, I didn't MEAN to accuse you, just said IF the problems were ONLY experienced by people who had run the program, then it would be a little suspicious :yes:

It was a VERY unfortunate timing of events, that's all.

Ixion, a program that has been run can set it so that it loads each time with windows. When I open the task manager, under processes there is so much shit there I wouldn't be able to tell if something was there that shouldn't be.
Maybe it is something on this site, one would have to close KB and surf other pages for a while. If nothing happened, and it immediately happened after loading KB up again then I guess it's on KB. These sorts of problems are hard to diagnose. What is obvious is that alot of us here have recently begun to experience it, so that leads me to believe it's a KB thing, or there is a new virus, trojan or other windows issue going about.

EDIT: Oh, to be completely honest, I don't always wear protection when using KB... But I thought we were all friends ;) :whistle:

Biff
9th June 2005, 21:22
Switch to Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) :niceone:

IE used to crash on me all the time. Ever since I've used Firefox I've never had any problems. Besides Firefox doesn't have all the security flaws IE does. And you wont be supporting Microshaft.

John
9th June 2005, 21:27
Dammit, I'm short 60 bucks, after next payday? :whistle:
Hey, I didn't MEAN to accuse you, just said IF the problems were ONLY experienced by people who had run the program, then it would be a little suspicious :yes:

It was a VERY unfortunate timing of events, that's all.

Ixion, a program that has been run can set it so that it loads each time with windows. When I open the task manager, under processes there is so much shit there I wouldn't be able to tell if something was there that shouldn't be.
Maybe it is something on this site, one would have to close KB and surf other pages for a while. If nothing happened, and it immediately happened after loading KB up again then I guess it's on KB. These sorts of problems are hard to diagnose. What is obvious is that alot of us here have recently begun to experience it, so that leads me to believe it's a KB thing, or there is a new virus, trojan or other windows issue going about.

EDIT: Oh, to be completely honest, I don't always wear protection when using KB... But I thought we were all friends ;) :whistle:
Nah I knew what you meant fair biscuits though, ah vb.net isnt a language that you will see many viruses or such in, its the biggest most dumb hunk of want to be OOP language ever. if your ever wondering what is running on boot (on xp and me 98 etc) click start->run and type in "msconfig" click the startup tab and you can see it all, if your having problems I normally disable all of them and reboot, normally fixes any problems if they want to occur..

Nah its cool I'll just take the R1 for a test drive, give it a real genuine kawasaki rider thrashing (if you saw that thread of all the people on the corner and the kawa fellow off in the background..)

Ixion
9th June 2005, 21:58

Yes, it can load a registry setting that will do that. But that little school exercise of Mr John's didn't have anything like that in it.

And if it had I would have known immediately, because my registry is heavily protected (I do work with stuff that really does try to do such things) , and anything that tries to alter it (without express permission) will be clobbered fast

(I ran and tested Mr Johns little proggy without any issues )

SpankMe
9th June 2005, 22:03
It happens for me every time I scroll the first page of this thread. But it does not happen when I turn off signatures. I have looked through everyone’s sigs on that page and their is no malicious code.

Looking into it further....

zadok
9th June 2005, 22:39
As several of our more discerning K.B's have already said, "Get Firefox". I have never had a problem with it.

John
9th June 2005, 22:42
It happens for me every time I scroll the first page of this thread. But it does not happen when I turn off signatures. I have looked through everyone’s sigs on that page and their is no malicious code.

Looking into it further....

Hmm being hunting this down seems rather common, I will post what I find.

I still will stand by www.mozilla.org to save you problems like this in the future...

zadok
9th June 2005, 22:56
As a matter of interest; When I was using IE, I disabled that error reporting box by doing the following:
Start>Contol Panel>Performance & Maintenance>System>Advanced>Error Reporting
I selected the top option with the critical error box also checked.
I never saw it again after that.

Waylander
9th June 2005, 23:57
Ok Back online with Firefox. Seems to be working ok now but pages load really slow now and I have to wait for the whole page to load before I can start typing. Hopefully that's just my net speed I'm not to worried about it so long as it doesn't shut down on me like before.

John
9th June 2005, 23:58
Ok Back online with Firefox. Seems to be working ok now but pages load really slow now and I have to wait for the whole page to load before I can start typing. Hopefully that's just my net speed I'm not to worried about it so long as it doesn't shut down on me like before.
That will just be until it fills teh cache again, soon it will be as fast as lightning and you will be spamming everyone :)

remeber ctrl+t for new tabs :)

Waylander
10th June 2005, 00:04
That will just be until it fills teh cache again, soon it will be as fast as lightning and you will be spamming everyone :)

remeber ctrl+t for new tabs :)
Hahaha very funny. I have slowed my spamming down the past few days if you havn't noticed even before all this stuff started happening.

It's allready starting to speed up and that new tab thing is alot better than having extra windows. Saves room on my systems tray thing at the bottom of my screen.

Oh and Speedmedic, No worries mate but I'll remember that if me and you ever ride together.:whistle::motu: lol J/K

Gremlin
10th June 2005, 01:01
I never ran John's code, but was experiencing this problem. I was busy trying to nail the problem down to something, and its only IE and only KB. IE was fine on other sites like trademe etc, but would randomly shut on KB.

Since I dual browse anyway, switched to Mozilla and didn't have a problem with KB...

RiderInBlack
10th June 2005, 12:44
Emptied me Temp Internet folder, cookies and all. So far no more error messages.

Started to have connecting problems (no or some dail-up sound) but fix that by putting the dail-up line in the other jack point on the PC. I might have had it it the wrong hole on the PC:whistle: Funny thing is it has been work ok for while before it started to play up this week.

Waylander
10th June 2005, 14:53
Ok new problem now. Can't get firefox to run. Worked fin this morning but when I came back to it after running a few errands it just wont open now.

John
10th June 2005, 15:10
Ok new problem now. Can't get firefox to run. Worked fin this morning but when I came back to it after running a few errands it just wont open now.
Hmm ok, sounds abit like your computer is infected with every virus thinkable to man kind - one thing to try first is to go:

click "start" then click "run" then type in "msconfig" and press enter.

A box will pop up, on the "General" tab, deselect "Load Startup Items".

Then click on the "services" tab and then click the "Hide all microsoft services" button, this will change the list in the box above it, deselect all of them and load up again.

Another thing, are you runnning windows xp sp2?

I have attached a picture of what it looks like on my laptop, to show that screen right click on "my computer" and go properties.

Good luck :P

dveus
10th June 2005, 15:20
From what I've read the best way to avoid it crashing, is to have it process within its own abilities. Try not too put it too close to "faster" Pcs where it may feel pressured to keep up.

Waylander
10th June 2005, 15:38
Ok John I did that but firefox still wouldn't open from the icon on my desktop. Had to re-install it for it to work.

inlinefour
12th June 2005, 21:55
And I'm just running XP Home with all updates. Ther weird thing is that it only is happening to the windows that are open on KB, never anywhere else. However it has not happened to me tonight, so hopefully it is all sorted?