PDA

View Full Version : New 2011 Kawasaki Z1000SX

Hillbilly
22nd October 2010, 17:39
Here's a look at the new 2011 Kawasaki Z1000Sx knwon as the Ninja 1000SX in the US. Some pix are obviously from the US, but what a beautiful bike. Seems Honda got it all wrong with the VFR1200 and Kawasaki got everything right with the Z1000SX:

Gibbo89
22nd October 2010, 19:39
First thing that comes to mind: tail tidy

other than that, it looks sweet.

=cJ=
22nd October 2010, 21:31
Couple of photos there I swear you could stick Suzuki stickers on and call it a B-King.

James Deuce
22nd October 2010, 21:38
Couple of photos there I swear you could stick Suzuki stickers on and call it a B-King.

Could I buy some weed Mr?

NZsarge
22nd October 2010, 21:42

Whatcho talkin' 'bout willis?!
Doesn't look anything remotely like a B-King.... Oh I get it, this is a troll right?
Back to the bike at hand.. This to me is aimed squarely at the likes of the Fazer FZ1, nice bike too. Will be interesting to see the specs etc.

NZsarge
22nd October 2010, 21:45
Got a question, why are Kawasaki going back to the sodding eliptical chain adjuster?

NZsarge
22nd October 2010, 21:49
Seems Honda got it all wrong with the VFR1200

I think the biggest thing Honda got wrong with the VFR was the price! I certainly could see why one wouldn't go the styling that much but it's grown on me a bit, never gonna consider it a "looker" but I don't loath it like I used too.

AllanB
22nd October 2010, 22:20
Kawasakis muffler designer should be shot.

Another boring fairing-covered bike. Naked is where the fun is :woohoo:

Just quietly apart from the mufflers it looks kind of spunky

yachtie10
22nd October 2010, 22:34
Here's a look at the new 2011 Kawasaki Z1000Sx knwon as the Ninja 1000SX in the US. Some pix are obviously from the US, but what a beautiful bike. Seems Honda got it all wrong with the VFR1200 and Kawasaki got everything right with the Z1000SX:

Nice bbike but isnt it up against the predator?
VFR is in a different bracket

NZsarge
23rd October 2010, 00:20
Nice bbike but isnt it up against the predator?
VFR is in a different bracket

Z1000 is what the Honda Predator is up against.
This bike is known as the Ninja 1000 SX

NZsarge
23rd October 2010, 00:29
Roughly 225kg kerb weight, 3 position windscreen... interesting enough.. No mention of power or torque that i've seen yet.

Hillbilly
23rd October 2010, 00:55
Here ya all go - the specs:

Make Model: Kawasaki Z 1000SX

Year: 2011

Engine: Liquid cooled, four stroke, transverse four cylinder, DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder.

Capacity: 1043

Bore x Stroke: 77.0 x 56.0mm

Compression Ratio: 11.8:1

Induction: DFIŽ with four 38mm Keihin throttle bodies, oval sub-throttles

Ignition / Starting: TCBI with digital advance / electric

Max Power: 101.5 kW 138 CV

Max Torque: 110 Nm 11.2 kg-fm @ 7800 rpm

Transmission / Drive: 6 Speed / chain

FrameType: Aluminum Backbone

Rake/Trail: 24.5 degrees / 4.1 in.

Front Suspension: 41 mm inverted fork with rebound damping and progressive compression and preload adjustment

Rear Suspension: Back-link rear horizontal coupling charged gas, progressive rebound damping and spring preload adjustment

Front Brakes: 2x 300mm discs 4 piston caliper

Rear Brakes: Single 250mm disc 1 piston caliper

Front Tyre: 120/70 -R17

Rear Tyre: 190/50- ZR17

Seat Height: 822 mm

Weight: 228 kg / 231 kg ABS

Fuel Capacity: 19 Litres

Gremlin
23rd October 2010, 01:22
wow, that's ugly as well. Dunno what's happened to kwaka since 04/05... Thought the Z was supposed to be naked? Uh... That ain't naked

EJK
23rd October 2010, 01:49
More like mixtuer of ZX10 and 14

NZsarge
23rd October 2010, 07:03
Thought the Z was supposed to be naked? Uh... That ain't naked

The Z is naked, this bike is known as the Ninja 1000SX. The "Z" is still a model on it's own.

Owl
23rd October 2010, 08:07
I quite like it, but I'm more interested in the new ZX10R.

CJ........:weird:

Zuki rider's:rolleyes:

NZsarge
23rd October 2010, 08:28

:lol: Yeah the new 10 looks to be a monster, be interesting to see how it stacks up against the supposed king at the moment the S1000RR.

Urano
24th October 2010, 20:18
it's phenomenal!

if they do the same with the z750, that would be my next bike!

Naked is where the fun is :woohoo:

c'mon, you're a hornetteer...
even electrical assisted bicycle are funner...

I think the biggest thing Honda got wrong with the VFR was the price!

i think the biggest thing honda got wrong is the engine.
they started with a 750, then 800 and ended up with a 850.
then they went out with a 1200.
wtf!
please, everybody bike makers, stop cheating what germans do...

NZsarge
24th October 2010, 20:43
wtf!

Nothing wrong with a few extra cc's Us bigger boy's need the extra torque.. :niceone:

98tls
24th October 2010, 20:43
:sick:looks like an ER6 on crack.Is there a single person in the world (aside from the guy that designed them) that could possibly like those pipes?Still, each to there own eh.

grbaker
26th October 2010, 09:39
:sick:looks like an ER6 on crack.Is there a single person in the world (aside from the guy that designed them) that could possibly like those pipes?Still, each to there own eh.

If it was a 1000cc twin I would agree. Even the rear shock is in a similar setup.

Does this replace Kawa Z1000 nakked..?

Devil
28th October 2010, 11:00
I actually like the look of that, even in green!

zeocen
28th October 2010, 11:21
Waiting to see what the price is for it, depending on that and a test ride I'm definitely looking at saving my pennies.

NZsarge
28th October 2010, 11:32
Does this replace Kawa Z1000 nakked..?

No.
It remains to be seen if they bring this model to NZ though.

=cJ=
29th October 2010, 18:36

Shuddup you :p

Seriously though, it's just that whole "wide front end with lots of angles" thing kind seems to remind me of the B-King.

Well, that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw it anyways. :drinkup:

bsasuper
30th October 2010, 08:11
Seems Honda got it all wrong :

Na they both got it all wrong

vifferman
30th October 2010, 08:18
wtf!
Actually, that's not really correct. They started with a 750, then made a 500 and 1000 in the same style, were forced to make a 700 just for America because HD were suffering, then made a 400, dropped the 500 and 1000, then made a 781, another 781, and then two 1237s (?) (manual and DCT) as well as the 781. Rumours are that there may yet be another V4 adventure bike, and possibly a 1000 or 1237 sprotsbike to complement the sports-tourer, which if it eventuates will mean the VFR800 will be discontinued.

Neshi
30th October 2010, 10:20
I like the 'plain' Kawa Z-1000 better.
But then, I'm biased towards naked bikes.

Capt M Stubbing
5th November 2010, 20:01
now this looks like a bit of kit, not as bulky as a tourer (concours/fj) and not as uncompromising as the zx10. (almost) enough power and surely enough handling/comfort for NZ conditions.
optional panniers, if needed. looks ok.
whats the feedback?
remember how hot the old zzr1100 was, and then things got too racey or too tourery...(is that a word)

http://www.imagebam.com/image/0e4d3b100889956

98tls
5th November 2010, 20:05
Indeed,looks like a great bit of kit and to quote the article i read "dont be surprised if this is the sales success of the year"Aftermarket fellas will love it specially those in the exhaust business,fark there ugly.

Cayman911
5th November 2010, 20:53
all the new kawasaki range has the "cross eyed" thing going on.

DMNTD
5th November 2010, 20:58
all the new kawasaki range has the "cross eyed" thing going on.

You're right! They should all buy a NXR :yes:

:facepalm:

Cayman911
5th November 2010, 21:02
You're right! They should all buy a NXR :yes:

I'd take the NXR over any kawasaki any cc. in fact i have taken the nxr.
it is no doubt the best looking dirt styled bike.

....maybe kawasaki is reflecting and showing appreciation for the cross eyed customers who even look at them let alone buy.

DMNTD
5th November 2010, 21:11
I'd take the NXR over any kawasaki any cc. in fact i have taken the nxr.
it is no doubt the best looking dirt styled bike.

....maybe kawasaki is reflecting and showing appreciation for the cross eyed customers who even look at them let alone buy.

...and no doubt that's why you own what you do

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0806/man-hug-man-hug-manly-demotivational-poster-1214783873.jpg

bogan
5th November 2010, 21:18
whats with all the new bikes having overly complex frame castings and fairing designs with millions of little bits of plastic in em. Clean fairings like the 848 is where its at, that or naked I reckon :yes:

NinjaNanna
6th November 2010, 14:01

I think I like it??? Looks like quite a comfy riding position, kind of like the old zx12.

NZsarge
6th November 2010, 17:30
I think I like it??? Looks like quite a comfy riding position, kind of like the old zx12.

Really? I though the 12 was much more sporty where as the new Z1000 SX is definitely more upright...

pzkpfw
9th November 2010, 17:18
Prompted by auntfanny in the 2011 ZX-10R thread, I see these are now also on the www.kawasaki.co.nz site.

But price = TBA.

Pity my 750 wouldn't be worth half the price of the thing. I like it.

slofox
9th November 2010, 17:50
Kawasakis muffler designer should be shot.

They hit that with the ugly stick didn't they...

pzkpfw
9th November 2010, 21:47
It is the ugly stick.

Jenral
16th November 2010, 08:22
I usually don't like the look of Kawasaki's but this I like. :yes:

Stylo
16th November 2010, 18:21

Damn ...looks like a killer but far too little torque and HP's for me ...it's a pussy, I'll stick with my 'Busa and, at a similar price too the 'Busa has around 140 odd KW's and 155Nm torquing up the tree .....each to their own ...my 5 Cents

pritch
17th November 2010, 05:59

In America. In the UK it's the Z1000SX. The Z750R is nice too.

James Deuce
17th November 2010, 07:21
The Z750R is nice too.

It will still be over sprung and under damped (but the springs will be for a 65kg rider) so you'll need to spend $2k on the suspension to make it rideable at anything over 3/10ths and it will be gasping to breathe so you'll need to spend $600-$1000 on muffler and air filter and then if you really want that mid-range to be fulsome and lusty you'll need a Power Commander V and extensive Dyno time, so another $1-$2k. It'll probably be about $17k, and by the time you've made it cost $25k you'll be kicking yourself for not just buying a Street Triple R.

Meanwhile Suzuki release the GSR750 which will be 30-40kgs lighter with 20hp more and suspension that works up to about 7/10ths, ideal for normal people in other words. It will be a cheap and cheerful alternative to a Street Triple with cheaper insurance and a higher top speed and rat versions of them will still be surfacing in 20 years time when no one remembers any of the other mid-size nakeds of the time.

The FZ8 will be roughly comparable to the Suzuki (with a nasty hesitation just as the throttle is cracked making corner entry throttle transitions a butt clenchingly jerky affair just when you want to wind smooth power on) but will cost 50% more for no real reason. No one will buy them because, let's face it, Yamaha riders are nutters who like to ring the tits off an R6 or bling the crap out of an R1. The R1 at least sounds like a NASCAR refugee, so that's all good.

Honda will release a 750/800cc naked contender but it will be a hybrid with a "Human Friendly" transmission and an overall power output 30% down on any of its competitors but its marketing bumpf would have you believe that only losers would ride anything else despite the Honda using more actual dinosaur juice when used in the real world and there will only be one sold in NZ at a hugely discounted price to a slightly crazed Apple devotee who takes technophilia to scary levels. He'll then proceed to bore people senseless from behind his stylish spectacles and roll neck cordura jacket with leather elbow patches about Honda's commitment to the planet's future. He'll still have no friends who want to be seen riding with him.

Swoop
17th November 2010, 08:44
He'll still have no friends who want to be seen riding with him.
... and remain "ghey".

White trash
17th November 2010, 12:02
It will still be over sprung and under damped (but the springs will be for a 65kg rider) so you'll need to spend $2k on the suspension to make it rideable at anything over 3/10ths and it will be gasping to breathe so you'll need to spend $600-$1000 on muffler and air filter and then if you really want that mid-range to be fulsome and lusty you'll need a Power Commander V and extensive Dyno time, so another $1-$2k. It'll probably be about $17k, and by the time you've made it cost $25k you'll be kicking yourself for not just buying a Street Triple R.

Meanwhile Suzuki release the GSR750 which will be 30-40kgs lighter with 20hp more and suspension that works up to about 7/10ths, ideal for normal people in other words. It will be a cheap and cheerful alternative to a Street Triple with cheaper insurance and a higher top speed and rat versions of them will still be surfacing in 20 years time when no one remembers any of the other mid-size nakeds of the time.

The FZ8 will be roughly comparable to the Suzuki (with a nasty hesitation just as the throttle is cracked making corner entry throttle transitions a butt clenchingly jerky affair just when you want to wind smooth power on) but will cost 50% more for no real reason. No one will buy them because, let's face it, Yamaha riders are nutters who like to ring the tits off an R6 or bling the crap out of an R1. The R1 at least sounds like a NASCAR refugee, so that's all good.

Honda will release a 750/800cc naked contender but it will be a hybrid with a "Human Friendly" transmission and an overall power output 30% down on any of its competitors but its marketing bumpf would have you believe that only losers would ride anything else despite the Honda using more actual dinosaur juice when used in the real world and there will only be one sold in NZ at a hugely discounted price to a slightly crazed Apple devotee who takes technophilia to scary levels. He'll then proceed to bore people senseless from behind his stylish spectacles and roll neck cordura jacket with leather elbow patches about Honda's commitment to the planet's future. He'll still have no friends who want to be seen riding with him.

And that folks is the truest prediction ever on KB.If he had added Craig Shirriffs will own the world at Wanganui '10, it would have been perfect.

CHOPPA
18th November 2010, 11:22
And that folks is the truest prediction ever on KB.If he had added Craig Shirriffs will own the world at Wanganui '10, it would have been perfect.

Have you told your wife yet Jimmy??

Pascal
18th November 2010, 11:44
I love the look of the Z1000. This seems very similar and there seems to be a good component overlap in terms of look as well. I like the look of this too.

White trash
18th November 2010, 11:51
Have you told your wife yet Jimmy??

About the man love? She knows mate, she knows.....

yod
18th November 2010, 16:08
RRP:

$21,995
$22,995 with ABS

http://www.kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=ZX1000GBF&do=list

zeocen
19th November 2010, 10:57
Yep, fuck that.

pzkpfw
20th November 2010, 17:46
It'll do what the CB1000R did.

It now retails at $15,325 inc GST according to PDF on Honda NZ website.

But it started at something much more than that.

zeocen
20th November 2010, 20:28
It'll do what the CB1000R did.

It now retails at $15,325 inc GST according to PDF on Honda NZ website.

But it started at something much more than that.

I don't see it happening. They hiked up the "built to budget" bikes by 3 - 4 grand a few years ago and they haven't dropped since. The Z1000 doesn't look like it's going to be moving in price any time soon and I can't see what essentially is a faired version of the same bike being a lower price.

It doesn't seem to deter some people though, my old man went to Experience Motorcycles and it seems they have 11 on pre-order already.

NZsarge
2nd December 2010, 10:52

Ummm, so what are you trying to say exactly? :D

RRP:

$21,995
$22,995 with ABS

http://www.kawasaki.co.nz/kawasaki_custom.cfm?modelcode=ZX1000GBF&do=list

Yep, fuck that.

Yes it's too expensive but get used to it, like it or not we are all going to have to re-adjust out thoughts on new bike prices, incase you haven't noticed they're all going up and by reasonable chunks too.
Puts paid to the thought of buying new next time I think.
The Z1000 SX is better value than the VFR1200 which I think might be the most overpriced Japanese bike on the market but it's starting to get some competition for sure.

Hillbilly
31st December 2010, 23:25
Isn't it strange how the prices of these new Japanese bikes are now beginning to make the Italian bikes look affordable. An example is the new Suzuki GSX650F is only slightly cheaper then the new GSF1250 Bandit. Given the new ACC levy and rego hike it wouldn't be worth buying the 650 at all!

vifferman
3rd January 2011, 20:27
Z1000 is what the Honda Predator is up against.
Mmm... mebbe.
Interestingly, there is mucho interest on the Mrkn VFR sites from people who were a little disappointed Honda didn't bring out a 1000cc more sporty VFR rather than the two 1200s.