PDA

View Full Version : PHONE SPAM

SpankMe
23rd October 2010, 08:43
I'VE HAD TWO OF THESE CALLS RECENTLY. ONE SAYING THEY WERE FROM A VIRUS SOFTWARE COMPANY AND SAID MY PC WAS INFECTED. I JUST TOLD THEM I WASN'T BUYING IT. THE SECOND WAS OBVIOUSLY FROM INDIA, AND THEY TRIED TO TELL ME THEY WERE CALLING FROM MICROSOFT AND THAT MY PC'S OS "WAS DOWNLOADED WITH FRAGMENTED HACKING CODE". :blink: I TOLD THEM TO F OFF AND TRY THAT SHIT ON SOMEONE ELSE.

OH, AND TODAY IS INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY :)

James Deuce
23rd October 2010, 08:49
The call I got was from "The makers of Windows 7".

When I said, "Pull the other one, it has bells on", they were very confused and obviously not Terry Prattchet fans and therefore not real IT people.

So I said, "Thank you, come again", in my worst Apu accent and hung up.

It was great fun. I DO hope they ring again.

Maki
23rd October 2010, 09:11
Oh man... Why don't these people call me? Jerking their chain for as long as possible would be absolute hilarity.

Big Dave
23rd October 2010, 09:27
Well there's a reason to celebrate!!! <- Edit I have no all caps powers :-(

Ronin
23rd October 2010, 09:39
I have clients who have listened to them. Which is good and bad. Bad for the client. Good for me.

The caller gives them a link to logmein, then logs in (funny that) and infects their machine. Then wants $300 odd to uninfect it. I'll do it for half that lol.

ALL HAIL ALL CAPS DAY!

Jantar
23rd October 2010, 09:48
Well there's a reason to celebrate!!! <- Edit I have no all caps powers :-( "o"
YOU SHOULD HAVE.

Big Dave
23rd October 2010, 11:40
Tries agin

Nah - scaled me down again.

Virago
23rd October 2010, 11:47
YOU'RE NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH... <Capslock>

Virago
23rd October 2010, 11:51
Spank, you need to install this:

http://www.linuxsystems.com.au/astycrapper/index.html

Some of the sample recordings are hilarious - loved the Telstra one...:yes:

Squiggles
23rd October 2010, 12:19

YOU JUST NEED TO QUOTE ME TO SEE HOW ITS DONE <SOMETHING WITH AT LEAST 1 LOWERCASE LETTER IN HERe>

Suntoucher
23rd October 2010, 12:19
Hmm never had these calls, guess that's the advantage to not being listed, although finally have been the other day.

It's pretty funny they're going backwards in tech now, actually making manual phonecalls. I wonder if they'll start faxing their emails next.

Technology, security and legitimacy through obsolescence.

You could fax your bank details including passwords and entire identity and it would reach the other end without a single person trying to steal the data.

In the same vein, if you received a fax with that information you would immediately believe it.

Try and do either with email.

Gremlin
23rd October 2010, 12:20
faxes are still used for spam...

It's certainly easier to block email spam than fax spam, except spammers can't send out thousands of faxes at once

Suntoucher
23rd October 2010, 12:25
Really? We've got publicly listed fax numbers at work(office of a big retail chain) and have yet to receive any. Also had a publicly listed machine up til 2008 with no spam.

hellokitty
23rd October 2010, 12:31

It's certainly easier to block email spam than fax spam, except spammers can't send out thousands of faxes at once

when I get spam faxes, I copy it and tape them together and fax back to the spammers - the pages just go round and round and round and round and round and round :yes: fun times

Big Dave
23rd October 2010, 13:31
YOU'RE NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH... <Capslock>

d-: ˙ɯɐ ı 'ʇɐɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ 'ʎןןɐnʇɔɐ

psycho22
23rd October 2010, 13:36
Spank, you need to install this:

http://www.linuxsystems.com.au/astycrapper/index.html

Some of the sample recordings are hilarious - loved the Telstra one...:yes:

Oh that is awesome!:yes:

EJK
23rd October 2010, 14:11
<font style="text-transform: uppercase;">all hail all caps</font>

Oakie
23rd October 2010, 15:24

i've been de-cap-itated

NighthawkNZ
23rd October 2010, 16:13
I usually just hang up we get it a lot at work, another ploy is about your website I have never bothered to see how that one goes...

Once we kept it guy (and it was an international call as we had it traced) on line for over 2 hours... me making it sound like I was all concerned... but I got bored with it and then said "its strange that you think we are running Microsoft Windows Vista, considering this a linux system and our other systems are Mac."

It was actually them that hung up on us... how rude... BTW at work we are windows XP...

NighthawkNZ
23rd October 2010, 16:23

What you do with fax spam, is you set up a loop of one continus fax of a full page black block then set your system to send this fax back on continous auto dial to get the in on the break of the spammers fax machine once you get it you system will continous send your fax loop back to them... depending on the fax machine being used if and older machine its wasting paper and ink... if its a computer which is most likely today it is tying up that computer and phone line, slowly filling the hdd with nothing...

SpankMe
15th February 2011, 18:13
These pricks here still calling me. Yelling abuse at them doesn't work. Maybe I need to learn some Indian language insults to yell at them :)

I told the one that just called I need to turn on the PC first, then I put down the phone. Don't know how long he will hang on the line for :p

steve_t
15th February 2011, 18:17
These pricks here still calling me. Yelling abuse at them doesn't work. Maybe I need to learn some Indian language insults to yell at them :)

I told the one that just called I need to turn on the PC first, then I put down the phone. Don't know how long he will hang on the line for :p

LOL :corn: Make it a game. Get the stopwatch out. Try and make some idle chit chat and tell him OSX will take a minute to boot up :scooter:

JimO
15th February 2011, 18:36

i had to change my fax number, even telecom couldnt block the overseas numbers

Skyryder
15th February 2011, 18:53
i've been de-cap-itated

Said the taty chip to it's partner :love:, so i won't need condom:yes:

Skyryder

Oakie
15th February 2011, 19:05
The last time I got that call I told the person I built computers for a living (I don't) so could fix anything myself and that anyway I used Linux so Windows issues didn't worry me. She still tried to get me to log onto their website.

BMWST?
15th February 2011, 19:11
The last time I got that call I told the person I built computers for a living (I don't) so could fix anything myself and that anyway I used Linux so Windows issues didn't worry me. She still tried to get me to log onto their website.

i just hang up without talking to the losers

Oakie
15th February 2011, 19:15
i just hang up without talking to the losers

It was kind of fun to play with her a bit though. Oh. I wouldn't know one end of Linux from the other by the way.

nadroj
15th February 2011, 19:46
I had the call last week. I strung them until I got bored & told them to piss off & anoy some other sucker. Apparently he is going to fuck all my family - we're not cheap....

Fatt Max
15th February 2011, 20:40
These pricks keep calling here as well. Missus getting real fucking snakey with them.

It is an Indian person on the phone. Last time they rang we asked them could they deliver a Chicken Korma, Lamb Jalfrezi and 2 naan breads......they said no......we told them to fuck off....

admenk
15th February 2011, 20:46
These pricks keep calling here as well. Missus getting real fucking snakey with them.

It is an Indian person on the phone. Last time they rang we asked them could they deliver a Chicken Korma, Lamb Jalfrezi and 2 naan breads......they said no......we told them to fuck off....

Forget that foreign stuff, stick with the pies mate...

James Deuce
15th February 2011, 21:19
Butter Chicken pies from Tulsi are awesome.

BJ250
16th February 2011, 07:59
Maybe I need to learn some Indian language insults to yell at them :)

Try these: Gaandu, Mother-chod, sister-chod, bhosdi-k, rundi... dont ask me what they mean tho :innocent:

my wife has been getting these calls at work for the past couple days.. she had a chat with the guy at the other end yesterday and he claimed that he was in a Microsoft call centre in pakistan. :blink:

Gremlin
16th February 2011, 08:07
Just ask him what he's wearing, and if he has a sexy little thong on...

If the guy is really keen on getting you viruses, carry it through, ask him if he's currently touching the guy next door's cock, does he want to, is his being touched, blah blah

So many different things to say... so few chances before they hang up...

Usarka
16th February 2011, 08:11
Try these: Gaandu, Mother-chod, sister-chod, bhosdi-k, rundi... dont ask me what they mean tho :innocent:

I don't know the exact spelling but the following words should be offensive enough. Alternative (correct?) versions of BJ250's first three on the list:

Ghandu
Maichud
Banchud

If it's a chick ask if she has Chootny Chutney for a laugh too....

avgas
16th February 2011, 08:30
oh, and today is international caps lock day :)
can we enable this permanently? I miss it.....

avgas
16th February 2011, 08:46
CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK :woohoo:

BJ250
16th February 2011, 08:53
I don't know the exact spelling but the following words should be offensive enough. Alternative (correct?) versions of BJ250's first three on the list:

Ghandu
Maichud
Banchud

Yep, you got the spellings right.. I just anglicised the words and spelt them phonetically...

BJ250
16th February 2011, 08:55
If it's a chick ask if she has Chootny Chutney for a laugh too....

:killingme:killingme :niceone:

Laava
12th May 2011, 15:54
Just had one of those calls from an asian call centre from some guy claiming to be from the Computer maintenance company. I thought I'd listen to him for a bit, but unplugged my internet 1st. He wanted me to open up applications to see how many errors and warnings there were, which was interesting. Also the fact that you can't delete them. Becuse it's a log maybe? He said that I was running XP and I asked him how he knew that? He said it was from his predecessor whom I had talked to although he wouldn't hear of me denying this. Anyway then he wanted me to run www dot support dot me, which I refused to do. He started saying that I was a real gentleman which I took issue with and then I asked him who he worked for , where he was , who he was and that I didn't trust him. He started to get a bit tetchy and threw in a bible quote to try and convince me what a genuine little hindu he really was! I asked him if he was just doing this out of the goodness of his heart, and he said yes he was. Then back to the old, download this website nonsense so I hung up. So, interesting, I assume he was intending to scam me. Anyone shed some light?

steve_t
12th May 2011, 15:56
Yeah, scam. www.support.me is for logmein remote access

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/359233/the-unstoppable-tech-support-scam

2Seat_Terror
12th May 2011, 15:57
Smells strongly of what's in your signature.

I've taken to not trusting anybody with my computers, cars, motorcycle, etc.

yachtie10
12th May 2011, 15:58
I had the same call hung up after "computer maintenance"

if its the same one that has been going around he would try to charge you to fix problems that his website creates (simply put)

good to waste there time i suppose but dont open his site

Laava
12th May 2011, 16:03
Smells strongly of what's in your signature.

I've taken to not trusting anybody with my computers, cars, motorcycle, etc.

Your girlfriend a shareable commodity then? :scooter::scooter: p/t
But you are right, I googled it and it is a scam, although the website is genuine, the scammers are using it for their own means apparently

Edbear
12th May 2011, 16:45
They've been calling pretty much every week. I'm getting very blunt with them.

Oblivion
12th May 2011, 16:59
Yea, we used to get them quite often. Now we haven't heard from them in months. What I reckon I'll do next time is try to be as annoying as possible. Or maybe get some real irritating high pitch noise and play it over the phone.

That'll teach em' :yes:

oldrider
12th May 2011, 17:10
I have been getting plagued with these damned calls from "Microsoft Asia" trying to tell me I have computer problems!

I tell them "What computer, there is no computer in this house!" it really freaks them out!

They go on and on insisting that some one has a computer, then I tell them that it is an old peoples home, no computer!

Funny enough the last one insisted that my computer was having problems switching the broadband off and on or just off!

Now that got me pissed off because that has been happening and it set me wondering if it was part of their scam!

Can they access our computers and cause something like that to happen? then follow up with their scam to get your information out of you?

I just thought it was the modem so I have bought another one but have yet to install it.

The same thing happened a while ago too, so now I am getting suspicious about just what these spammers can do!

This will be the second new modem since the Christchurch earthquake! :facepalm:

What do you computer experts reckon?

Gremlin
12th May 2011, 17:12
I've never had it... but I did have one client ring me after, to make sure she did the right thing. Thank goodness she has us, contract support etc, so wasn't sure why the guy was ringing her...

Do they have a list of techs? Never been rung... I could have so much fun...

In short, they want to control your computer, get your details/money, etc.

Maki
12th May 2011, 17:14
Oh why oh why do these people never call me? I would enjoy nothing more.

Ricardo S
12th May 2011, 17:19

second that!

in a non related but somehow related - mmm need coffee-

funny stuff:

http://youtu.be/aZQma8t6no4

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aZQma8t6no4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SpankMe
22nd May 2011, 20:31
second that!

in a non related but somehow related - mmm need coffee-

funny stuff:

http://youtu.be/aZQma8t6no4

Their own website has a better quality version.

http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/

Blackbird
23rd May 2011, 14:45
I had exactly the same call not half an hour ago from "Microsoft Windows" wanting me to switch my computer on. Just hung up on them.

SpankMe
23rd May 2011, 15:00
As soon as I hear an Indian accent on the other end, I just hang up.

Maha
23rd May 2011, 15:13
As soon as I hear an Indian accent on the other end, I just hang up.

Then dont keep ringing the 'Punjab Palace' for takeout....:corn:

Ronin
23rd May 2011, 15:45
The dont keep

"Hi, I'm calling from Microsoft regarding your faulty n key..."

Maha
23rd May 2011, 15:47
"Hi, I'm calling from Microsoft regarding your faulty n key..."

I was typing in Indian....:facepalm:
Fixed....:blink:

Edbear
23rd May 2011, 16:02

It gets old very quickly... I get very short with them now...

Camshaft
23rd May 2011, 19:14
i gotthe same 1 guy claiming from he was from microsoft and needed to get remote acess to my computer, i asked to speak to his supervisor and he put me on hold and then he re answered as his supervisor haha i had fun with him after that.

Usarka
24th May 2011, 16:10
blow a really loud whistle down the phone. the fuckers hate that.