PDA

View Full Version : No Jap bikes

Jackrat
29th November 2003, 18:08
Ok that last one was fun while it lasted,now try this one.
In April there is the so called national motorcycle expo in new plymouth.Reading the web site covering this event,I find the statement,The most important thing to remember if you wish to enter this show,is your bike must not be of Jap origin.Now I have owned and ridden bikes made in every major bike producing country,I know I can be pretty one eyed at times but what the fuck is that about?
Oh an don,t forget to wave. :D

Motu
29th November 2003, 18:47
I've heard of people entering XS650s with no one the wiser - give it a go mate!

Racey Rider
29th November 2003, 19:47
Yep, That'ill be the Magogs Motorcycle club.
Luckily their club fort is located on a slightly sloping road. So if I ever have to ride me "Jappa" past there,, I can turn the motor off and queitly coast past without acurring their wrath!
I'm sure the've got a Pajero in there just like yours Motu, with the motor left running, specially for intercepting stray "Jappers" that know no better than to take another route! :confused:

Jackrat
29th November 2003, 21:27
Enter me XS ??,Nah I think I,ll keep it for at bit yet thanks:whistle:

Redstar
29th November 2003, 21:47
get over it!

If you look under the skin off the newer british bikes You can't help noticing the Mikunis and the Nippon Denso bits in all the right places:)
If the tossers really wanted to draw the line in the sand say"No Jap bikes or Jap bits in your bike that would cut it back to 1990 british bikes or less but most wont make it to the expo without a follower with a trailor to help then to get there without a breakdown.

Yes we all owe the Japs a poke in the eye for Pearl Habour and Borneo but they are not crashing planes into skyscrapers are they!

Time to move on I say:done:

Jackrat
30th November 2003, 08:49
Yeah I know what you mean about mikuni carbs,showa front ends
ect,ect. on harleys an triumphs.But the war thing as you say is rather old Aye!..These guys seem to forget That Germany was involed as well,yet BMW seems to be OK and then Italy was also there,,Ummm well kind off,,Depending on who was winning at the time,And of course there is the,We are always right USA who nuked the Japs a week after they surrendered,And then there is the british( Can you say Dresden).Nothing like murdering 50,000
noncombatants in one night,,Jolly good show old chap.
Yeah all very old as you so rightly point out.
Any way more opinions anyone??

Big Dog
30th November 2003, 12:57
This will make you chuckle,

One day as I was going in to Dr Times' to make a payment on my laybuyed leather jacket, the only availible parking was out side the somewhat nefarious White Hart Hotel. Best known for the number of magogs to be found there night or day.

So I duly park my 83 xs250, go and pay and return to my poor little donkey amid the roar of 10-20 approaching Harleys. :shit: :shit: And a tatood Nazi Helmet wearing Magog in his one percent patch astride my bike:shit: :shit: :shit:

When he saw me approaching helemt in hand trying to look as insignificant as possible he boomed out: "why would any one want to ruin a perfectly good sportster by putting yamaha badges on it?"

Not wanting to call him a fuck wit, I put on my most diplomatic voice and said " It is a yamaha, I'm only on a learners and i'm not allowed over 250cc"

"Bull shit, I used to have one of these."

He quickly made himself scarce amid the heckling of his mates when I pointed out it had a four into two exhaust.:2thumbsup

750Y
30th November 2003, 15:19
lol, funny story BigDog. good pub too actually. Had more good nights in there than i can remember (literally) 8-).
as far as no jappas go, I think that's fine. As long as You know beforehand i Don't see an issue. I think though if You had an interesting enough bike, it would actually be allowed in but it'd have to be pretty special. It has been known to happen but you'd have to feel pretty confident and of course you'd be the brunt of many jokes too 8-). it's all good.

Nouseforaname
30th November 2003, 16:13
Agh the good ol White Hart Hotel. The only bar ive ever been too where they bar maid didnt mind me walking in with a box of Lion Reds under my arm and sitting at the bar drinkin them...... classy place that:D

I ended up getting too pissed and walking up the stairs and falling asleep in one of the bedrooms upstairs.

I highy recommend NOT doing that!

riffer
30th November 2003, 20:48
Yeah the White Hart was an interesting pub - I remember playing there a few years back now - good place if you played hard rock and metal.

And a hell of a lot safer than the Cafe de Paris in Palmerston North round late 80s - that was a scary pub - reminded me of that scene in Blues Brothers where they were playing behind the chicken wire.

SPman
1st December 2003, 22:40
I thought the Magogs all had Triumphs these days - sick of their Harleys falling to bits!

What?
2nd December 2003, 05:01
Originally posted by celticno6
And a hell of a lot safer than the Cafe de Paris in Palmerston North round late 80s

Mightabeen worse in ther early 80's - it was a gay bar before the gang boys took over :o

I went to the Magog show a few years back. There was a street race in the vicinity on the same weekend. Had a ball. Sure, there were heaps of dipsticks there, but no aggro. Lots of Jappas parked outside the Hart, too.

scumdog
3rd December 2003, 06:43
Are you guys trying to wind people up with you r coments about Harleys always breaking down? Has anyone kept any kind of record? Are you thinking only of pre-Evo H-D?
From my point of view the most non-starting bike at a motorbike rally is a 10year+ Jappa, -I lie in me tent hearing the whizz-whizz-whizz clunk "Bastard" whiz - whiz - whhizz "Give us a push" fairly regularly. (maybe it's the same bikes at each rally?)
Not knocking any breed as worse than any other but lets hear some facts.
P.S. The boys Suzuki 150 has shit itself for the second time, each time at about 10,000km, new piston again this time.

Jackrat
3rd December 2003, 08:51
ummmm,Hi scumdog.
I have owned two harleys,The first one was a 1980 FLT tour glide
1340 rubber mount 5 speed.Being a shovel I was told to expect all sorts of drama,yet in three years I never had a problem with it,
It was in fact a damn fine machine,one of the best bikes Iv,e owned.And then we come to my 96 1200 sportster.I owned it for six months and sold it in absolute disgust,mate maybe I got a lemon but if it could go wrong it did.Every time I went for a big ride that bloody thing would shit it self in some way.I have a mate that also has a 96 an he,s never had a problem with it.
Life is just not fair at times Aye,,LOL:o

Big Dog
3rd December 2003, 13:42
Originally posted by scumdog
From my point of view the most non-starting bike at a motorbike rally is a 10year+ Jappa, -I lie in me tent hearing the whizz-whizz-whizz clunk "Bastard" whiz - whiz - whhizz "Give us a push" fairly regularly. (maybe it's the same bikes at each rally?)
Perhaps People who own 10+yo bikes of the japanese variety do so because they can't afford <5yo bike's and as such can't afford maintenance on one properly?

I don't know any other 10+ yo japonese bike that actually gets their bike serviced ever 5,000kms.

I also don't know many harley riders who don't have their bikes serviced regular.

Perhaps its the old "I'll sell this as soon as I can afford a current model" vs "this is my pride and joy".

Lets face it the generator in a 15yo old bike is never going to compare to the gen in a 2yo bike.

Jackrat
3rd December 2003, 15:48
Don,t know about anybody else but I bought my twenty year old
Japper cause I wanted it,And I won,t take my bike to a shop because I want the job done right by somebody who understands it.IE, Me.Both my brothers own late model Harleys and they do all there own work to.As far as things like rebores or crank rebuilds,Well I can walk into an enginering shop,Then I only have to pay for the work,nothing else.
I do feel sorry for guys with no money who can,t work on their own bikes.Hell all it takes is a manuel,but a lot of guys won,t take the step.I reckon they should stick to two strokes.No offence meant,Good bikes an eazy to work on.

Motu
3rd December 2003, 16:18
In my 33 yrs of bike ownership I've owned 3 bikes less than 10 yrs old - I've just never been hooked into the gotta have the latest game.Working on bikes is just one of the perks of riding them,every bike I get is stripped down and rebuilt,even if no parts go in.I just gotta know how it works and where all the parts are,I can't imagine owning a bike I know nothing about and taking it to someone else to fix....I reserve that sort of stupidity for computers.

Nouseforaname
3rd December 2003, 16:34
My bikes in for a service at the moment, there is no way in hell id work on my bike myself, i just dont trust myself. Id be shit scared pulling down the road thinking 'o shit, what bolts have i left off'. Some people cant sing, some cant cook, others just arnt capable with a spanner and other tools ( i fall into all three of those ). Id love to be able to work on my own bikes but where do i start?

Jackrat
3rd December 2003, 17:56
Oh ye of no name,Buy a small two stroke an cane the guts out of it till you pop a hole in the piston.Have no money an no other choise.Triple check every thing you touch,an pray.
It worked for me.
BTW I can,t sing for shit or cook or Errrrr well we,ll just leave it at that huh.LOL:whistle:

Nouseforaname
3rd December 2003, 18:55
Originally posted by Jackrat
Oh ye of no name,Buy a small two stroke an cane the guts out of it till you pop a hole in the piston.Have no money an no other choise.Triple check every thing you touch,an pray.
It worked for me.
BTW I can,t sing for shit or cook or Errrrr well we,ll just leave it at that huh.LOL:whistle:

Hehe been there done that:D my first bike was a '91 TZR and i did cane the living shit outa that, first bike and all and i thought i was bloody Rossi doing wheelstands at every traffic light i stopped at. That is until that fateful night, coming home from a mates place the bloody engine seized on me, wasnt a pleasant feeling at all, worst thing was having to walk for 1 1/2 hours home cos my G/F wouldnt bloody come pick me up.

I wouldnt mind doing a night school course and learning some tricks but im lazy so i just pay someone.........

The best day of my life was when i changed my first spark plug:D

smokiesam
3rd December 2003, 19:15
Having just purchased a 84 GSX 750 which had not had a tank of gas thru it in 3 years so while the guy got it wof and registered i had the garage to a compression check didn't know what else to do new tyres new battery chain and spockets are ok sounded sweet. First tank of gas and I made it to the town boundry walked home got the cage and trailor and took it home. By the way no bike shop in Cromwell. Thought it was a fuel problem so off with the tank check the inline fuel filter. Looked all right but there cheap so off to Alexandra and buy a new one from the Honda shop this where it gets bad. The dude gives a filter which is quiet different ask if same flow rate etc and assures me it we be great. Off home in with the new filter and I make it the town boundry again manage to nurse it home on the choke. Got to be fuel I says shit must have made its way into the carbs. Local garage to busy and I heard the horror stories of stuffing the balance up on the carbs so not that keen. I want the bike to go so off come the carbs what a shit of a job. Bugger me the carbs fine nothing anywhere and they arn't been to bits to many times so thats a good sign. Off with the tank off with the tap overhaul check tank filter dump fuel try again. Did a 100 kms to it stopped now I getting real pissed lift the tank on the side of the road and the bike runs again the filter to restricted and once tank level down a little bike don't run. Bypass filter at home order new one from book and shes sweet and purring like its 2 weeks old.
So its almost 20 years old and still going strong.

:2thumbsup

Motu
3rd December 2003, 21:06
The guys who don't work on their own bikes have a social life and can talk to girls.Girls always scared me more than bikes did,so I spent my evenings undressing my bikes and exploring their plumbing.The sad life of a biker :confused:

Jackrat
3rd December 2003, 21:22
Thats a point,all the girls round my way were into Disco,A guy with a smoking two stroke an grubby finger nails didn,t stand a chance,so I got me a staunch British bike.
Hell that was even worse,Girls don,t like geting where their going to find oil all over their flash shoes,What is it with women an bloody shoes anyway??. Then I met a girl who,s dad rode a Triumph.27 yrs on an Disco still sucks. :niceone:

scumdog
3rd December 2003, 23:14
Big Dog, my 21 yaer old Sporty got just as much T.L.C. and maintenance as my current 6 year old model does AND I'm just as careful with the work I do on my XN85

P.S. even my xl350 thumper got lavish maintenance - often it needed it too!! got sick of pushing the bitch on wet days!

Hitcher
4th December 2003, 11:45
Sounds like a case of "unreliable" versus needing to be "perfectly maintained". One man's meat, etc

If you aren't into what you're currently riding, then why are you riding it? I have yet to meet a bike I didn't like...

Big Dog
4th December 2003, 16:36
In the good ole days as a student my rule was if I couldn't fix it I couldn't ride it (philosophy as taught by Dad, started with first push bike "Here you go son *hands over box of rusty parts* Merry xmas, when you can build it you can ride it", interesting few weeks before I worked out hoe to assemble the reverse pedal type back brake).

Often That meant push starts because 10 yr old batteries don't go to weel and could not afford to replace them.

Nowadays it is often cheaper to pay someone else than take the time off work. That and I have no tools worth mentioning and nowhwere I can take off the plastic without a reasonable assumtion sommink will get broken. Gravel driveways are not the best for stipping fairings.

Nouseforaname
4th December 2003, 16:46
Going back to the original subject:o have they replaced the stolen road sign outside the White Hart yet?:o

ManDownUnder
11th December 2003, 14:49
Yup - that's the Magogs... and, despite the fact I ride a Jappa... I'll leap to their defence.

I know about a couple of the guys in there - really good decent guys and it is one of the M/C clubs that really is a club - not a gang. My step father (Jack Dean if any of the boys are reading) had a little to do with them and I know how they helped each other through some good times and bad.

Shag (head honcho and City Councellor) is one clever dude - he is onto it commercially and I understand the number of things they do for the community is surprising. The bike show is one such thing.

I expect the no Jappa rule is simply to keep in tradition with the likes/following of the 'gogs. They don't ride Jappas, and they want to organise/put on a bike show they are going to enjoy...

I say go for it. At the risk of speaking on their behalf I know they'd totally respect an all Jap bike show.

All from me - back to my RF900 (which is hope to take to NP in a few weeks). I've ridden Jap bikes back and forth past their place on the way to back beach all my life. I have no reason to fear them - as I&nbsp; say they are a bunch of good guys.

My final word on the Magogs. I only know&nbsp;them by reputation only, but if they're good by Jack - they're good by me. My mother was invited into their HQ with Jack a while back and she tells me she has rarely seen such respect and courtesy...

... and if any of the Magogs are reading this - here's one for Jack :apint: Thanks again to the guys that came to his last big event... I know Molly appreciated it too.

MDU

Jackrat
13th December 2003, 15:51
Yup - that's the Magogs... and, despite the fact I ride a Jappa... I'll leap to their defence.

I know about a couple of the guys in there - really good decent guys and it is one of the M/C clubs that really is a club - not a gang. My step father (Jack Dean if any of the boys are reading) had a little to do with them and I know how they helped each other through some good times and bad.

Shag (head honcho and City Councellor) is one clever dude - he is onto it commercially and I understand the number of things they do for the community is surprising. The bike show is one such thing.

I expect the no Jappa rule is simply to keep in tradition with the likes/following of the 'gogs. They don't ride Jappas, and they want to organise/put on a bike show they are going to enjoy...

I say go for it. At the risk of speaking on their behalf I know they'd totally respect an all Jap bike show.

All from me - back to my RF900 (which is hope to take to NP in a few weeks). I've ridden Jap bikes back and forth past their place on the way to back beach all my life. I have no reason to fear them - as I&nbsp; say they are a bunch of good guys.

My final word on the Magogs. I only know&nbsp;them by reputation only, but if they're good by Jack - they're good by me. My mother was invited into their HQ with Jack a while back and she tells me she has rarely seen such respect and courtesy...

... and if any of the Magogs are reading this - here's one for Jack :apint: Thanks again to the guys that came to his last big event... I know Molly appreciated it too.

MDU
So I take it your not one of the people who have had bikes stolen,been assulted,had a home burnt down,or any number of other things these guys get up to,when they arn,t fooling blind fucks like you.
Try keeping it real.

ManDownUnder
15th December 2003, 12:42
So I take it your not one of the people who have had bikes stolen,been assulted,had a home burnt down,or any number of other things these guys get up to,when they arn,t fooling blind fucks like you.
Try keeping it real.

that'd be ...
No, No, No, and No... and I had my vision corrected a couple of years ago.

All I am doing is calling it as I see it. If it's not the truth then yeah - I may have been fooled. But it means I have been fooled for a long time by a lot of people.

If you have a beef with them - feel free to take it up with them. I don't so I wont.
MDU

Big Dog
16th December 2003, 16:40
I have to say I have had my moments of being scared by them but in all fairness I have had three experiences with them directly.

1. jolly good laugh cos they thought my xs 250 was a harley.
2. they saved my but when broken down in the middle of nowhere and refused to accept money for it.
3. bailed up a "mob" who thought the skinny (a few years ago now) white guy needed a hiding. So they told him to fuck off. he did.

I have heard stories but my own experiences are all good.

babyB
16th December 2003, 20:01
reminisence of days and the nights spent at the white heart.loud music, cold beer, weired ppl (well most of the time) hell i had a ball there..was always well looked after too.lol. loved the maygogs bike show to.. lol dedication to clean shinhy bikes & good parties

MrMelon
16th December 2003, 20:17
Hehe been there done that:D my first bike was a '91 TZR and i did cane the living shit outa that, first bike and all and i thought i was bloody Rossi doing wheelstands at every traffic light i stopped at. That is until that fateful night, coming home from a mates place the bloody engine seized on me, wasnt a pleasant feeling at all, worst thing was having to walk for 1 1/2 hours home cos my G/F wouldnt bloody come pick me up.

I wouldnt mind doing a night school course and learning some tricks but im lazy so i just pay someone.........

The best day of my life was when i changed my first spark plug:D

ah man, mine better not do that to me :(
But I changed my own plugs the other week!
now to figure out how to rebuild the sucker.

Nouseforaname
17th December 2003, 16:39
ah man, mine better not do that to me :(
But I changed my own plugs the other week!
now to figure out how to rebuild the sucker.

Ahhhhh the TZR's are great arnt they? i had a ball on mine but being spastic at anything mechanical im only allowed to buy a 4stroke.

But being a first bike it spent more time cart wheeling down the road and in the back of my van being transported to every bike shop in auckland. But i'd take it back if i could :2thumbsup

ManDownUnder
17th December 2003, 16:48
reminisence of days and the nights spent at the white heart.loud music, cold beer, weired ppl (well most of the time) hell i had a ball there..was always well looked after too.lol. loved the maygogs bike show to.. lol dedication to clean shinhy bikes & good parties

Quotes and memories like that - you've GOTTA be from the 'naki! (Stratford, and later.. NP here!)

marty
17th December 2003, 19:50
did you see the TZR exhausts on trademe? going for cheap as chips they were..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/listings/0001-0026-0135-/auction-7705952.htm

MrMelon
17th December 2003, 22:24
Yeah the TZR's great.. it seems to have spent more tim in the shop than on the road though, but I blame that on a lack of a good mechanic.. I'm going to learn how to do it all myself now.

But yeah.. I've got a 3xv, those exhausts are for a 3ma.. Blink has a 3ma tzr though, so I'll let him know about the auction :D

babyB
18th December 2003, 05:15
Quotes and memories like that - you've GOTTA be from the 'naki! (Stratford, and later.. NP here!)
sure was lol

moko
24th June 2004, 05:30
Yep, That'ill be the Magogs Motorcycle club..................
I'm sure the've got a Pajero in there just like yours Motu, with the motor left running, specially for intercepting stray "Jappers" that know no better than to take another route! :confused:

Ah,a Pajero,bit confused with their red-neck attitudes are they?

pete376403
24th June 2004, 12:13
The guys who don't work on their own bikes have a social life and can talk to girls.Girls always scared me more than bikes did,so I spent my evenings undressing my bikes and exploring their plumbing.The sad life of a biker :confused:
Much more fun undressing the girlies and exploring their plumbing, although to be fair most bikes don't complain if your want to try that with two or more bikes at a time. Nor do bikes expect life long commitment.

Jinx3d
25th June 2004, 18:51
From my point of view the most non-starting bike at a motorbike rally is a 10year+ Jappa,

Heres a 20+ year old "jappa" that starts like a dream and kicks ass.
It NEVER EVER fails to start. (as long as its got gas in it)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2413&stc=1