PDA

View Full Version : How do I copy contents of one HD to another?

SMOKEU
25th October 2010, 13:47
I tried the copy and paste trick to copy the entire contents of one HD to another, but the computer keeps turning itself off part way through the process. I tried copying one folder at a time and the same problem happens. I'm running Windows 7. I tried to install Ubuntu on my computer so I can do the backup from that OS, but Ubuntu won't even install on my computer. Any ideas?

onearmedbandit
25th October 2010, 13:56
Why is the PC turning off? Is there a hardware issue causing this or is it a software setting?

SMOKEU
25th October 2010, 13:57
Why is the PC turning off? Is there a hardware issue causing this or is it a software setting?

Software issue. It's normally very stable otherwise.

onearmedbandit
25th October 2010, 14:10
What is running that is causing it to shut down? Or is your install of windows corrupt? Have you tried running Windows 7 in safemode?

johan
25th October 2010, 14:29
use xcopy

xcopy src dest /E /D

p.dath
25th October 2010, 14:32
I tried the copy and paste trick to copy the entire contents of one HD to another, but the computer keeps turning itself off part way through the process. I tried copying one folder at a time and the same problem happens. I'm running Windows 7. I tried to install Ubuntu on my computer so I can do the backup from that OS, but Ubuntu won't even install on my computer. Any ideas?

I'm not sure I'd be copying the data till I figured out the fault turning the computer off. That sounds serious, and maybe a hardware issue.

You could end up with data corruption, or any other of a number of problems.

Make sure all the cooling fans are working. Perhaps the CPU is over heating.

onearmedbandit
25th October 2010, 14:45
He said it is a software issue.

p.dath
25th October 2010, 14:50
He said it is a software issue.

Sure, he said that. Doesn't mean it is. I'd say more issues that result in the machine powering it self down suddenly are hardware related.

SMOKEU
25th October 2010, 14:55
What is running that is causing it to shut down? Or is your install of windows corrupt? Have you tried running Windows 7 in safemode?

I'll give safe mode a try.

I'm not sure I'd be copying the data till I figured out the fault turning the computer off. That sounds serious, and maybe a hardware issue.

You could end up with data corruption, or any other of a number of problems.

Make sure all the cooling fans are working. Perhaps the CPU is over heating.

Processor never gets over 50°C. It will run 3D Mark for hours on end without any issues.

Gremlin
25th October 2010, 14:56
have you run Chkdsk? See if there are problems with the disk. Otherwise, power? Software side, check 7's power options, it will go into hybrid sleep etc...

SMOKEU
25th October 2010, 15:04
have you run Chkdsk? See if there are problems with the disk. Otherwise, power? Software side, check 7's power options, it will go into hybrid sleep etc...

Both drives are less than a year old and have no bad sectors. I've turned off the power saving options in 7.

Grasshopperus
25th October 2010, 15:07
Grab a live CD (any linux distro or BartPE if you're more comfortable with Windows) and then try the copy again. That'll at least rule out a software bug causing a restart.

The only software reason I can think of that would be causing this would be some sort of Windows Genuine Advantage thing turning off your pirated copy of Win7. Otherwise some sort of weirdo corruption of your Win7 utilities (like the copy binary etc).

I'd suggest that there's something wrong with your HDD or disk controller that borks when trying to read certain sectors of your disk.

SMOKEU
25th October 2010, 15:14
On another note, I tried to reinstall Ubuntu on my mums computer, and whenever I put a CD with the OS into the CD drive and set the BIOS to load from the CD, it just says that no OS is detected. I tried again with 2 other OSs and the same message appears. It's not the OS discs that are the issue, as I put the HD from that computer in my computer and installed Windows 7 onto it just fine, but the same copy of 7 won't even be detected on the other computer.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the BIOS, or that the motherboard is phucked.

Grasshopperus
25th October 2010, 15:24
Well flashing the BIOS would probably be a first good step, if you've ever called a manufacturer for support that's usually the first thing they get you to do.

Bear in mind that even WinXP wouldn't let you switch hardware without a rebuild. It's part of some copy-protection mechanism (annoys the crap out of ya when you do an upgrade)

Gremlin
25th October 2010, 15:27
I'd check hardware drivers and BIOS, if you're certain its not hardware, ie, PSU, HDD. I fixed a usb plug n play issue with a new bios just last week.

p.dath
25th October 2010, 16:03
On another note, I tried to reinstall Ubuntu on my mums computer, and whenever I put a CD with the OS into the CD drive and set the BIOS to load from the CD, it just says that no OS is detected. I tried again with 2 other OSs and the same message appears. It's not the OS discs that are the issue, as I put the HD from that computer in my computer and installed Windows 7 onto it just fine, but the same copy of 7 won't even be detected on the other computer.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the BIOS, or that the motherboard is phucked.

Although you set it to boot from CD, I get the impression that it is not booting from CD. Is the BIOS showing that there is CD/DVD drive attached?

And it is possible you simply have a damaged DVD drive. You could perhaps try a different DVD drive in that machine, rather than swapping hard drives.

And I guess I had better not assume the obvious. Are you trying to boot from a DVD, and do you definitely have a DVD drive in the machine, and not just a CD drive?

And unless the machines are of a similar type, you may not be able to move a Windows 7 hard drive from one machine to another and have it boot successfully. You may be able ot boot off the Windows 7 DVD though, and select to repair the boot process.

Gremlin
26th October 2010, 00:09
As a side to that... it could also be a bad burn of the disc.

SMOKEU
26th October 2010, 10:21
Although you set it to boot from CD, I get the impression that it is not booting from CD. Is the BIOS showing that there is CD/DVD drive attached?

And it is possible you simply have a damaged DVD drive. You could perhaps try a different DVD drive in that machine, rather than swapping hard drives.

And I guess I had better not assume the obvious. Are you trying to boot from a DVD, and do you definitely have a DVD drive in the machine, and not just a CD drive?

I tried swapping CD/DVD drive with a different one and the same problem happens. The BIOS does show the drive is attached, and I have tried swapping the DVD drive onto a different IDE port on the motherboard. I'll try giving the BIOS a reflash and see if that helps. I gave it another shot and it's installing fine now. Problem solved.

As a side to that... it could also be a bad burn of the disc.

The same Windows 7 disc installed fine on my computer.