PDA

View Full Version : Pureora Forest - NZ's best kept secret: Middle Earth quite literally!

Waihou Thumper
25th October 2010, 18:15
Went for a little ride with Jake, and Clarkie...Who should turn up at the intersection just out of Wharepapa South - Eddie on his 950A travelling home to Wellywood, home of the Warner Brothers 'Middle Earth'
Well, we tootled off and rode around Mangakino and Whakamaru. Headed out towards Pureora Forest Park. The HQ and the slip road alongside the campgrounds is nice metal and I have done this many times wondering what lurks inside that old forest....
A quick look at the map and with Eddies prior knowledge....(He was gonna do this secretly till he bumped into us) we turned around and hit the most magnificent road into the deep, deep forest.......:)
The long and the short of it is.....
The Three Amigos' (for today anyway) ended up at the Geographical Centre of the North Island....(I wonder where that South Island one is?....Hmmm)
A quick 300M walk and we were there, marked by a little plinth with no reference at all just a bit of a spiel....
It was only discovered in 1981:shit: I think the Maoris might have known a little longer.....perhaps? Well, if they actually cared, I dunno...
Anyway, the location is......S38 31 31.8 E175 40 22.9 approx....
We had a great day out and no kidding, there is a great playground out there, camping too, and Dino! Pig hunting mate in abundance......:)
I recommend it. :woohoo:

dino3310
25th October 2010, 18:31
nice one mate.... yeah lots of piggies in there mate some nice stags too, was looking at sneaking in over summer:shutup:

Waihou Thumper
25th October 2010, 18:33
nice one mate.... yeah lots of piggies in there mate some nice stags, was looking at sneaking in over summer:shutup:

Put the harnesses on the pig dogs? (most unlikely duo ever) and trundled off in his gummies with GPS and Rifle.....:) They had little antennas so he could track 'em....:) Not to get the dogs back, but rather to find the Porker! hehe

dino3310
25th October 2010, 19:01
Can a Mod correct the spelling of the heading please...:) to....Quite....Ta
:facepalm:

hahaha naaa leave it like that you live in te aroha we expect it :lol:

:oops: Te Aroha

Waihou Thumper
25th October 2010, 19:06
hahaha naaa leave it like that you live in te aroha we expect it :lol:

T.......and A...thank you! :angry:

Eddieb
25th October 2010, 20:46
Yep, there were some good roads through there, and plenty more to explore.

And Dino, the hunter was pointing out fresh sign just in the carpark.

A quick stop at a dam before the forest.

Mark at the final turnoff

How the point was found.

ADVGD
25th October 2010, 21:03
Nice pics, nice info :niceone:

Looks like it was great weather for ADV riders all round NZ... gotta love weekends like these

Gremlin
26th October 2010, 00:04
Yep, been in there a couple of times already, tracking the roads for the NZOGPS mapsets... still need at least one more visit.

Where is that dam?

Waihou Thumper
26th October 2010, 04:09
Where is that dam?

It is on the way to Mangakino from Wharepapa South....there is a spillway and generating station there. The name escapes me for the time being...

agricon
26th October 2010, 13:46
Yep, been in there a couple of times already, tracking the roads for the NZOGPS mapsets... still need at least one more visit.

Where is that dam?

Co-ordinates (if you have a GPS):yes:
38deg 17'30.60"S
175deg 40'53.92"E

dino3310
26th October 2010, 16:43
It is on the way to Mangakino from Wharepapa South....there is a spillway and generating station there. The name escapes me for the time being...

waipapa, lived there for a short time as a boy, greats all had farms at Arohena and pukeatua, havent been back in that bush(logging) since my early 20s wouldnt know where to go now, would definately get lost:yes: so i'l have to make a date with your GPS mark:msn-wink:

gav24
26th October 2010, 19:34
Camped in there about 18 months ago.
An amazing dawn chorus with the Kokako calling out of the beech forest.
Also I remember heaps of blackberries in the bushes at the camp ground - hmmm, free food! - Also heaps of Possums at night!
Great river swimming as well.
Will have to continue through the park next time, sounds great.

XF650
27th October 2010, 07:15
Camo pants, forest, river & pigs - sounds like "deliverence"

dino3310
27th October 2010, 20:04
Camo pants, forest, river & pigs - sounds like "deliverence"

your welcome to bring your Banjo

Waihou Thumper
27th October 2010, 20:58
Cos Charley Boorman was one of the nippers on the deck when they played the dueling banjos tune in the movie...
I think it was directed by his father, hence he had a part...
Anakin wasn't to be seen though, he was still learning to ride the tri-cycle...:)

dino3310
27th October 2010, 21:25
Anakin wasn't to be seen though, he was still learning to ride the tri-cycle...:)

and still is :laugh:

Waihou Thumper
29th October 2010, 20:42
The geographical centre of the South Island guys? Is it rideable?
Mind you, it also keeps changing from day to day aye! :woohoo:
I would be interested to know........wouldn't it be fun to ride it and find it......North Island one was only discovered in 1981...

dino3310
29th October 2010, 21:18
The geographical centre of the South Island guys?

its in the middle

Waihou Thumper
30th October 2010, 15:34
its in the middle

Thanks mate, awesome contribution....:woohoo:
I am sure we can work on that and narrow it down a bit aye! :)

dino3310
30th October 2010, 20:36
Thanks mate, awesome contribution....:woohoo:
I am sure we can work on that and narrow it down a bit aye! :)

would be fun just to take a month or two and ride around looking for it

junkmanjoe
30th October 2010, 20:45
might do a bit of investigations on this matter... keen to find the north one, one day my self as well...

JMJ

JATZ
30th October 2010, 22:10
The geographical centre of the South Island guys? Is it rideable?

Just out of Nelson Mark, I don't know if you can ride to it, it's a walking track so I never bothered :blink:

junkmanjoe
30th October 2010, 22:20
Jatz i sure thats the center of NZ,

Geographical Centre of New Zealand

The marker at the "Centre of New Zealand".
The geographical "Centre of New Zealand" allegedly lies in Nelson;[11] on a hilltop near the centre of the city. However, this supposed "centre" was simply the convenient starting point for the original trigonometrical surveys of the South Island. The true geographical centre lies in a patch of unremarkable dense scrub in a forest in Spooners Range near Tapawera, 35 kilometres south-west of Nelson: 41°30′S 172°50′E.[12]

go find it Jatz....tag it mate...

JATZ
30th October 2010, 22:29
Jatz i sure thats the center of NZ,

Geographical Centre of New Zealand

The marker at the "Centre of New Zealand".
The geographical "Centre of New Zealand" allegedly lies in Nelson;[11] on a hilltop near the centre of the city. However, this supposed "centre" was simply the convenient starting point for the original trigonometrical surveys of the South Island. The true geographical centre lies in a patch of unremarkable dense scrub in a forest in Spooners Range near Tapawera, 35 kilometres south-west of Nelson: 41°30′S 172°50′E.[12]

go find it Jatz....tag it mate...

Sounds like a challenge :yes: so long as I don't have to walk

Just had a look on mapsource and I think I could find it

junkmanjoe
30th October 2010, 22:32
its a go then, geographical tag challenge....

helicopters are allowed to be used in this challenge..:woohoo:

JMJ

dino3310
30th October 2010, 22:46
any ideas on the centre of the south

jafar
30th October 2010, 23:40
any ideas on the centre of the south

Arthurs pass?? :shit: I bin there :whocares:

Eddieb
31st October 2010, 07:50
NZKTM wanted to see some footage of himself riding the Pureora Forest roads so here it (he) is.

I over laid some tunes to it via You Tube as well as there was only fuzzy audio captured.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpzOSH0IdpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UpzOSH0IdpE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Waihou Thumper
31st October 2010, 08:26
Not too shabby mate.....Looks good, of course high editing of my wayward cornering and bad techniques.....Liked it....:) Thanks Eddie! :yes:

offrd
6th November 2010, 07:01
Lots of other roads out in the purioras, lots of tracks too, could spent days out there! I have done lots of 4wheeling out there years ago.
Took my bike tracking a few times, had to carry it in some bogs, summer is much easier than winter to ride on CLAY!
Thank god it was my RMX not my 950!!!!! carry that under a helicopter!

Dingledoo
14th November 2010, 17:03
Thanks NZKTM for the write up on Pureora.

We've just got back from a great weekend doing the centre of the north Island. We also stopped at the Forest Tower.
We stayed at the Forge at Black fern lodge last night - it is excellent, great food, great accommodation, and a superb gravel road ride to reach it.
We also did a really nice little bit of track from the end of Okauaka Road through to Piropiro flats on Kokomiko road, a really nice bit of dirt track. Has gates to access it but these are unlocked.

nic
21st November 2010, 09:12
I went for a little ride through the forest yesterday and I though I'd share a few pics...

I'm fairly new to riding on gravel roads and the XT is my new wheels (previously riding a DR 650).

I went from the western access side through to near Bennydale. I stuck to one of the main routes through (link road) because I was a) on my own and b) i found myself minus my map

It was a great day for a ride (not too hot) and link road was in good condition - my dual sport tyres were just fine.

On the way home I did Ranginui Road

Waihou Thumper
21st November 2010, 14:25
Good stuff Nic...Magic little area isn't it...:) The Ranginui road used ot be mainly metal, shame now, most of it has been developed but the Benneydale end is nice through that little grove of native bush.

thepom
21st November 2010, 16:06
Thats one happy chubby guy....:yes:

Waihou Thumper
21st November 2010, 16:35

:) Guy? ummm, think not?

junkmanjoe
21st November 2010, 18:08
nice photos..thats a neat little bike you have there...........

JMJ

nic
21st November 2010, 18:49

Chubby? I think not!!!

Also, NOT a guy.

Taz
21st November 2010, 18:57
Chubby? I think not!!!

Also, NOT a guy.

Nice pics chub :lol: You should have let me know and I coulda ridden down :)

p.s. - Is your rear wheel tubeless?

Waihou Thumper
21st November 2010, 19:01
Chubby? I think not!!!

Also, NOT a guy.

aint that Pom rude...:) fancy thinking you were a guy....
Oh, and also chubby....
Maybe you gotta get that helmet fitting better .....:yes:

Taz
21st November 2010, 19:01

Uh oh.... .

Waihou Thumper
21st November 2010, 19:02
Nice pics chub :lol: You should have let me know and I coulda ridden down :)

p.s. - Is your rear wheel tubeless?

good spotting there Taz....looks like it aye!

Eddieb
21st November 2010, 19:03
Popcorn - Check
Front row seat - Check.

Right, let the fun begin. Go Nic!

Waihou Thumper
27th February 2011, 17:50
Nic decided to take a bit of a tour over the Mamaku Ranges and join me for a day out. Since I had a newchain, sprockets and pads, it was a perfect opportunity to get out and play tourist around my patch.....
Nic joined me at Putaruru, and once I got the thumbs up, a flat white was ordered. :)
We planned a loose route, well, I did, she just nodded at the right times:) The plan was to do a bit of a loop of Arapuni dam, then head towards Pureora Forest via Ringinui Rd and a few little known paper roads....
Taupaki Rd was one of them....Not long but nice and twisting and never seen a car, ever...:niceone:
Ringinui Rd is an awesome through rd bisecting Landcorp farms either side and it goes for ever with a great finish through native bush.
233123 233124Nic showing off her lines....

We had lunch at Pureora Forest park after finding 'Lavatories' :msn-wink: Nice to be with a lady aint it...:)
A quick chat and a bite to eat, we then headed through the forest with a side detour of Cabbage Tree Rd and another, this linked up to link Rd and was a tremendous little metal road through some felled bush and forestry.
Of course we had to see the centre of the North Island Plinth, Nic hadn't got the compulsory photo, se we obliged..:) (mine was blurred Nic, hands musta been shaking girl!) :bleh:
The road to the YMCA camp was a dead end, the gate was locked which was a pity because Awakino Rd ( I think) goes almost all the way to Whakamaru.
I was impressed with the little XT, the fuel range was great, even the KTM managed to squeeze out 300Km without hitting reserve. I have to ride more often with Ya Nic, you will save me pennies.....:)
The Damn Cafe was a nice refreshing stop and a Super Tenere pulled up, fresh out of the shop, but the riders didn't say hello, geez the bike looked like a tank!
The ride homeward included some little back roads near Lichfield, I then introduced or re-introduced (she wasn't too sure) Leslie Rd and Cecil Rd. It was bone dry, so the ruts and the big holes were easily seen. Even my little bike wash puddle was dry as a bone. Normally it is rotor deep, makes for good photo's :)
233128 233130Lunch stop and a pose for the camera.

It was a great day out, the company was awesome and we had a good laugh. Anytime you want a ride out and explore Nic, give me a yell. I am always keen. I am glad you like the colour orange :msn-wink: That little XT is perfect for ya! You did well, very well, I was impressed....:)

nic
27th February 2011, 18:45
You did well, very well, I was impressed....:)

Well....that was easy!:cool:

Thanks for being a very nearly excellent tour guide :yes: and photographer.
It was really great to see more of Pureora Forest

nic
27th February 2011, 18:51
I was impressed with the little XT, the fuel range was great, even the KTM managed to squeeze out 300Km without hitting reserve. I have to die more often with Ya Nic, you will save me pennies.....:)

Are you sure?? You'll only be able to do that once!

Waihou Thumper
27th February 2011, 18:52
Are you sure?? You'll only be able to do that once!

:eek: Haha...Whoopsy....Yep, typo there for sure.....RIDE, RIDE....:) Dislec....Dysleck....Dyslexic...Phew!