PDA

View Full Version : Did the rain fix my Scorpio's engine/carb?

robo555
26th October 2010, 17:45
Sometime ago, my Yamaha Scorpio's been idling funny. If I start the bike, then turn the choke on, the engine would stop instead of reving higher as I would expect. The bike wouldn't start if I try using the kick start instead of the electric start. At intersections it would idle at 1500rpm or 3000rpm depending on its mood. The bike goes fine, but when starting/idling it generally just doesn't feel right.

One day last week, I rode to work, and the bike was behaving weirdly as described above, but when I rode home after work the same day, the bike was running beautifully, kick start works, idles correctly, works as you would expect. The difference was day and night. It's been going fine ever since.

The only thing I could think of that may have affected it is it rain'ed quite hard that afternoon.

So, any ideas what may have fixed it, did the rain cleaned something? If it happens again, I would like to be able to fix it myself.

porky
26th October 2010, 20:37
Rain obviously drowned those gremlins.

rustyrobot
26th October 2010, 20:44
Rain obviously drowned those gremlins.

Good grief man, do you know NOTHING about Gremlins? Water makes Gremlins breed! Perhaps they are in a gestation period?

White trash
27th October 2010, 15:14
To answer your question, it sounds like you had a partially blocked pilot jet perhaps? Just happened to coincide with the rain that it decided to clear itself.

klyong82
27th October 2010, 20:59
bike choke causing the problem?

Max Preload
1st November 2010, 10:54
Any problems at cruise or under acceleration?

Fluctuating idle... most likely a vacuum leak. Intermittantly... perished rubber cracked.

It won't be a blocked idle jet. That'd cause it to drop a cylinder.

Paul in NZ
1st November 2010, 11:32
Any problems at cruise or under acceleration?

Fluctuating idle... most likely a vacuum leak. Intermittantly... perished rubber cracked.

It won't be a blocked idle jet. That'd cause it to drop a cylinder.

Dude - seriously he would notice a scorpio dropping a cylinder, its only got one...:facepalm:

Maybe a bit of crud in the tank got sucked over the outlet, into the carb, who knows, maybe the battery was a bit down and with cooler weather its voltage has come up. Its hard enough to diagnose a fault when its there let alone after its gone but I'd say ride and enjoy, if it comes back re post in this thread...

Max Preload
1st November 2010, 11:51
Dude - seriously he would notice a scorpio dropping a cylinder, its only got one...:facepalm:That's my very point. :facepalm: