PDA

View Full Version : Local Rider Review

Waikato Yamaha
28th October 2010, 07:47
Hi Guys,

Here is a copy of our first "Local Rider Review"
I have asked Stuart Brown, a customer of ours to ride a few of our bikes and write a review relevant to everyday riders.

Here is the first one.

Yamaha R1 2010

Sunday afternoon came around and as the weather was fine I text a few of the boys as usual to see if I could gather a group to go for a blast around the roads. All were unavailable although one James Smith (Waikato Yamaha) text back to say, “call round and swap your 2008 R1 for the 2010 R1” It would be bad manners to decline such an offer! So I set off on the new R1.

As soon as I set off the bike instantly felt lighter that my 08 R1, it also had heaps more grunt around town. The 08 R1 is completely gutless from a standstill, you need a lot of revs and clutch slipping to get it to go off the mark. The 2010 has instant torque, it’s probably best to describe it as a high performance car off the mark when you let the clutch out it leaps into action!

I headed out for some of my favourite back roads, good technical roads with multiple surfaces, and a full range of corners from tight 35kph to fast sweepers with ever changing elevations. A good test for the grunt machine! Before arriving at the back roads the main roads were its first test. The bike felt light and nimble, with a good solid feel on the road. It cruised along with a fantastic exhaust note, the bike I was on had twin two brothers pipes, brilliant! This machine sounds awesome, just like a twin with a deep grunty note.

Something that I found annoying was with the throttle in “A” mode sitting at around 100kph the throttle is only open by a few mill, this means that bumps or small movements from your wrist close and open the throttle which has a snatchy feel. It is only a small flaw and I would assume you would get used to it after a while, by the end of the ride (150k) it wasn’t as noticeable. After playing around with the different modes I discovered that this does not occur in standard or B modes.

The 2010 R1 accelerates rapidly with constant drive throughout the revs, more like a Ducati. The 2008 R1 is very different it has no where near the grunt until it hits the power band then it’s off like a scalded cat with what seems like unlimited revs and speed! The 2010 is less of a scalded cat and more of an angry rhino that is about to be shot in the arse by a tranquiliser from a chopper, its takes off with forceful grunt. The speed comes effortlessly, great for overtaking. When the bike is thrashed there is significant vibrations through the bars, this didn’t cause numbness although was noticeable.

Once onto the back roads it was time to really see what the 2010 R1 was made of. It’s worth noting when talking about gear change that the new R1 has a brilliant gear box, its Honda like in its smoothness up or down, and the clutch is light. The bike turns in very well, feels light and changes direction through chicanes with rapid ease. Powering on out of the bends is brilliant there is heaps of torque. The 2008 R1 needs to be in 2nd or 3rd gear for most back road bends to ensure fast exit. The 2010 requires less effort it happily pulls like a train in 4th and if you are feeling the need for speed 3rd will really propel you from the bend, with back wheel providing good feel and super grip.

The front end provides great feedback and inspires confidence to push on. When hanging off the bike cornering it is inevitable on kiwi roads that you will encounter many bumps of varying degrees of harshness! The 2010 R1 deals with the vast majority with ease the suspension laps them up while you continue to corner, the bike stays well planted inspiring confidence.

The suspension on the 2010 R1 is very good its firm without being too harsh and copes well with differing surfaces. The brakes are good although I would like them to be better, a set of Hel braided lines and race pads would no doubt help greatly. The riding position is very comfortable, I am 6f 2inches and had loads of room.

Cruising back home was good time to reflect on the ride and notice things that were taken for granted at speed. The gear indicator is a welcome change for the new R1 the older models lack this. The dials and rev clock are easy to read. The model I was riding had a double bubble, which is a must for anyone around or over 6f tall. As you ride along you know you’re are on a Yamaha with its typical rattling and clicking noises coming from within. No problem with that at all, when your Yamaha starts to run smoothly with no noise like a Honda be very worried as you most likely have a problem! Although all things said these bikes are bullet proof, like all good Jap sports bikes these days reliability is taken as a given and its expected that 100 000ks will be effortless if well maintained and looked after.

All in all the 2010 Yamaha R1 is a great litre sports bike and gives you plenty of Bang for your Buck