PDA

View Full Version : Raglan - points of interest?

Big Dave
1st November 2010, 12:18
I'm doing an article on the area.

Been digging around and done a few interviews and the basic googling.

Motu told me about Maori Point when we rode out there - and I know how high Pironga is - but any tips/points of interest for the immigrant?

slofox
1st November 2010, 13:01
First off, Pirongia is not near Raglan. Karioi is the local hill.

There's a great road that goes right round the mountain. Not sealed all the way and somewhat goat-trackish last time I went round. Mind you that was a gazillion years ago now.

Nice coffee at Blacksands. Several other eateries as well.

The road between Raglan and Hamilton is a nice ride although can be busy at times and there is the odd LEO around as well...

Manu bay surf, other nice beaches nearby (Ngarunui for example). Paragliding above the cliffs, airstrip...

Hope this is of use.

Big Dave
1st November 2010, 13:09
Yeah good help thanks - knew better - but I had mountain confusion.

Last time I rode around it was with the KB crew years ago too.

scissorhands
1st November 2010, 15:30
Tainui stronghold, Kereopa's and Eva Rickard and tribes.

Surf capital of NZ, prolly NZ's best wave at 'Indicators'. Raglan area has the fastest growth in The Waikato I believe.

I used to live at Port Waikato to the north. I think The Port may have a murder record per capita

Oscar
1st November 2010, 15:40
Git yer slack Aussie arse down here and I'll show you around.

Usarka
1st November 2010, 15:56
Just don't say anything about the surf. The locals hate people stealing their breaks. Man.

Vgygrwr
1st November 2010, 20:15
The photography is a little early for me but I can remember fish and chips for a shilling and Charlie Chaplin in the local pictures

Vgygrwr
1st November 2010, 20:22
And if you travel around the local hill you can choose to come out at Te Mata. The two shots of Karioi are form our family farm with a few years in between

MsKABC
2nd November 2010, 08:13
Bridal Veil Falls are pretty cool :yes: