PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a good midrange jacket

GSF_Lou
1st November 2010, 12:55
I'm trying to fins something decent for my first jacket. I've allowed around the $400 mark for one and I've narrowed it down to what I beleive would be a couple of the better buys. I've done a fair amount of research as $400 to me is a fair amount of money and I dont want to end up buying something crap.

so the two jackets are

1, Shift Octane for $399
http://www.motorcyclegear.co.nz/afawcs0146619/CATID=507/ID=3673/SID=675385564/productdetails.html

2, Qmoto Qrace/Vengence
http://www.qmoto.co.nz/products/apparel-by-qmoto/2010-qrace-vengeance-with-knox/

I am aware that Quasi is a member on here and I have seen some really good feedback regarding his gear. How does the shift gear compare in feature and quality though? The octane jacket has been reduced to half price so to me it seems like a good deal.

sil3nt
1st November 2010, 13:10
I'm in a similar situation. A lot of choices out there. Have you seen this review for the Shift? (http://www.twowheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=15690)

GSF_Lou
1st November 2010, 13:26
I hadnt seen that. Being half its usual retail certainly brings the price rating in that review up.
I do see though that the octane has double stitching as oposed to the tripple stitching on the Vengence.

Tomc
2nd November 2010, 22:45
I havnt got any experience with the shift gear but will happily recomend the Qmoto vengance. got one last year after going for a slide and ripping the shoulder out of my other name brand jacket after only sliding 10 meters on loose chip seal:angry:. Havnt tested my Quasi jacket fortunatley but very impressed with the quality feel of it. I watched a mate slide a solid 30m on chipseal after he came off doing around 110ks in Qmoto 2 peice lethers and get up and walk away without a scratch. Very happy with the service i got aswell.

Cheers

Quasievil
3rd November 2010, 07:19
I hadnt seen that. Being half its usual retail certainly brings the price rating in that review up.
I do see though that the octane has double stitching as oposed to the tripple stitching on the Vengence.

Come up for a ride and check them out mate.
Dont forget the KNOX armour as well as a bunch of other features we put in them

happy to help you:yes:

ckai
3rd November 2010, 08:02
Bloody hell! $900 for that Shift jacket is insane :gob:

But on special for $400 makes is more realistic. I never see anyone riding Shift gear in NZ, but it's meant to be big in the US. That's a bloody good detailed review though.

Me, like so many on KB, ride Qmoto. On to me 2nd pair of pants after the 1st got cut off. Jacket is still going strong (I wouldn't let them touch it :angry:).

Where's all the Shift riders to offer their experiences?

I did have a look at some Shift gear when I was in the hunt for leathers. Most of it didn't have the venting I wanted.

steve_t
3rd November 2010, 08:50
I've also got a Qmoto jacket and highly recommend it. If you look at the specs it's not 1.2mm-1.4mm leather, it's 1.4mm A grade Leather. Leather alone isn't gonna help you if your gear busts open at the seams so the triple stitching with 2 of them being kevlar is reassuring (cue people who suggest you don't have to be involved in an accident if you put your mind to it:innocent:).
Don't let stuff like "was $900 but is now on special for $400" fool you into thinking you're getting a better product. Just compare the specs, but more importantly, compare the feel and fit :yes:

Vinz0r
4th November 2010, 15:00
Yeah, look at the two products, compare them. Then look at what prices they are being offered at, compare them.

Making you feel like a product is better through raising the perceived value of it is an age old trick when it comes to the retail market. Be wary of it.

White trash
4th November 2010, 15:39
Drew has a Shift jacket and I reckon it's quite stylie. However equipmentwise it's not a patch on my VERY old QMoto Vengence and is weathering far quicker. The new QMoto range is even better.

No contest in my mind.

Maha
4th November 2010, 15:49
The only advice I will say is 'try before you buy'...:yes:

HenryDorsetCase
4th November 2010, 16:28
Come up for a ride and check them out mate.
Dont forget the KNOX armour as well as a bunch of other features we put in them

happy to help you:yes:

mmmmm Knox armour. Agreed. cost me a LOT more than $400 but worth it.