PDA

View Full Version : Speedmaster question

AllanC
2nd November 2010, 07:49
I'm confused! I'm looking at Speedmasters and on some sites, the '03/'04 year models are stated as having the 790cc engine and on others it says they have the 860cc motor. I know they were all 860 from about '06 on (including the America) but I have been told that the Speedmaster was always the bigger motor. Does anybody know about the earlier models? thanks!

Motu
2nd November 2010, 18:07
Avon Speedmaster MkII - it's a classic tyre,go for it.

geoffc
3rd November 2010, 19:48
Yeah a mate has the Speedmaster 2004, American import & has the 790 motor. Later ones I believe have 860 & are fuel injected. Earlier ones have carbs.

AllanC
4th November 2010, 07:53
Thanks for that mate, I wasn't sure if it was a difference between the USA version and the UK versions but don't think so.

HenryDorsetCase
4th November 2010, 08:20
MY 2007 they were all carbs, then MY 2008 they went to EFI was my thought.

not sure when the 790/865cc thing happened. couple years earlier.

wysper
4th November 2010, 08:47
Funny thing that few extra cc's.
Moving to over 800cc really put them on my radar for my next bike. Don't care if there is more power etc. Sad innit. Suckered by the cc's

I do like the look of them too. I am tossing up between V-twin or the trumpy.
Tough call.

ckai
4th November 2010, 10:18
Moving to over 800cc really put them on my radar for my next bike. Don't care if there is more power etc. Sad innit. Suckered by the cc's

Tough call.

TRUUUUUMMMPPPPPYYY :)

You really do learn something new every day, I didn't even know they were less than 800cc at any point.

wysper
4th November 2010, 10:26
TRUUUUUMMMPPPPPYYY :)

You really do learn something new every day, I didn't even know they were less than 800cc at any point.

wouldn't that be moving to the dark side LOL

AllanC
4th November 2010, 12:17
The funny thing is that the 790cc actually seems to have a higher power output than the 860cc with only a slight difference in torque so buggered if I know. Maybe it was just about making it sound bigger. Either way, they're certainly a cool bike and after all, it is a Triumph:)

HenryDorsetCase
4th November 2010, 13:07

Tough call.

I am toying with the idea of selling my Scrambler so I can get a Speed or Street Triple..... just saying.

wysper
4th November 2010, 13:20
Maybe it was just about making it sound bigger. Either way, they're certainly a cool bike and after all, it is a Triumph:)

That wouldn't surprise me, I didn't realise I was such a sucker for things like that LOL

I am toying with the idea of selling my Scrambler so I can get a Speed or Street Triple..... just saying.

I hear ya, thinking of flicking the DR for a cruiser, while the Boulevards are nice, and not badly priced, they seem to lack a little personality.... probably my cheap arse self will end up on another suzi though, plus I am dead keen to put my business through Boyds.

AllanC
4th November 2010, 15:55
That wouldn't surprise me, I didn't realise I was such a sucker for things like that LOL

I hear ya, thinking of flicking the DR for a cruiser, while the Boulevards are nice, and not badly priced, they seem to lack a little personality.... probably my cheap arse self will end up on another suzi though, plus I am dead keen to put my business through Boyds.

Well, I will be looking to move my Boulevard S50 if I get a Speedmaster....

porky
4th November 2010, 20:41

If its Boyds then take the black X for a strop. The 1800 is an awesome cruiser, and only out done by the trumpy 2.3 for torque.

ukusa
5th November 2010, 13:15
I'm confused! I'm looking at Speedmasters and on some sites, the '03/'04 year models are stated as having the 790cc engine and on others it says they have the 860cc motor. I know they were all 860 from about '06 on (including the America) but I have been told that the Speedmaster was always the bigger motor. Does anybody know about the earlier models? thanks!

From what I recall, Speedmaster went to 865cc in 2006, America in 2007. Prior to that, both were 790cc.
EFI was introduced in Europe in MY2008, NZ was a year later I think (or maybe late 2008). They also changed the tank that year to the larger 19.3 litre tank (from earlier 16.6 litres). I think this was to accommodate part of the EFI system, although I do recall the first of the larger fuel tank 2008 bikes were not EFI here in NZ.

Be careful when buying, because I have seen 790cc bikes advertised as being 865cc (sometimes referred to as 900cc in listings) by some dealers

HenryDorsetCase
5th November 2010, 13:23

my plan is sell the scrambler and buy a Street Triple and a DR650... :)

when you're ready to sell the DR, flick me a PM and stuff. Dont really want to spend ten large on a new one that I have to farkle, so a secondhand one is deffo the go......

AllanC
5th November 2010, 16:22
From what I recall, Speedmaster went to 865cc in 2006, America in 2007. Prior to that, both were 790cc.
EFI was introduced in Europe in MY2008, NZ was a year later I think (or maybe late 2008). They also changed the tank that year to the larger 19.3 litre tank (from earlier 16.6 litres). I think this was to accommodate part of the EFI system, although I do recall the first of the larger fuel tank 2008 bikes were not EFI here in NZ.

Be careful when buying, because I have seen 790cc bikes advertised as being 865cc (sometimes referred to as 900cc in listings) by some dealers

Thanks, do you know if there's really that much difference in the performance of the two?

ukusa
6th November 2010, 12:46
Thanks, do you know if there's really that much difference in the performance of the two?

Sorry I haven't ridden any of the 790cc bikes. Factory figures indicate the 790 did have a little more power (only a couple of kw I think), but it had a little less torque than the 865 (only a couple of nm though). So probably hardly noticable.

AllanC
8th November 2010, 07:25
Sorry I haven't ridden any of the 790cc bikes. Factory figures indicate the 790 did have a little more power (only a couple of kw I think), but it had a little less torque than the 865 (only a couple of nm though). So probably hardly noticable.

oh well, too late to worry about it now. I bought the Speedmaster on the weekend. Absolutely love it, I'm like a pig in the proverbial :)

wysper
8th November 2010, 07:41
oh well, too late to worry about it now. I bought the Speedmaster on the weekend. Absolutely love it, I'm like a pig in the proverbial :)

what were some of the other bikes you rode before choosing the speedmaster?

AllanC
8th November 2010, 12:12
what were some of the other bikes you rode before choosing the speedmaster?

Ahh, there's a question. Answer is not many. I wanted a cruiser and I didn't really want/need anything bigger so restricted myself to that middleweight class. I looked at Boulevard M50 and C50 but didn't bother to ride them 'cause they just didn't do anything for me - the emotion just wasn't there and it has to be for a bike. That's why I originally bought the S50 - it was the only Boulevard that said something to me when it was standing still (mind you, it was a compromise even then. I wanted a Speedmaster but couldn't justify the extra $). Now don't get me wrong, I know that Boulevards are great bikes. I just didn't want to be going into another bike thinking it's great but I don't like ..... etc.

I didn't want a Harley. Again, obviously great bikes but for me I just felt like it'd be making too much of a statement. So, that kinda left me with Triumph - I tried the America but prefered the Speedmaster. I guess the reality was, I wanted a speedmaster. I just love the look and it gave me a special feeling to ride and, ever since I was a kid I have loved the brand.

However, I do reserve the right to get either a boulevard or a harley at some point in the future!

wysper
8th November 2010, 13:06
I just didn't want to be going into another bike thinking it's great but I don't like ..... etc.

Good answer - snipped most out so not to repeat.

I am narrowed down to m50 or c50, a triumph or a harley.

I have the same issue with the boulevards a bit. Don't seem to have a personality to them. Still going to take one for a spin and see. Might look a the 883 sporty too. Even though it is only a few k more to the triumphs, I am not sure I can swing it just now. I do like the look of them though. But I am a sucker for a v-twin. I really love em, that and shaft drives LOL.

AllanC
8th November 2010, 14:38
Good answer - snipped most out so not to repeat.

Might look a the 883 sporty too. Even though it is only a few k more to the triumphs, I am not sure I can swing it just now. I do like the look of them though. But I am a sucker for a v-twin. I really love em, that and shaft drives LOL.

AMPS in Auckland had a really nice XL1200C - looked great in white

ukusa
8th November 2010, 20:54
and, ever since I was a kid I have loved the brand.

that's what I like to hear!
A family friend had an old Bonneville in the garage when I was a teenager, always thought it was pretty damn cool (he's still got it, a '65 I think). I grew up mostly with Jap dirt bikes, but when it came time to go road bike, Triumph was the only choice for me. My first was an America, probably chose it over the Speedmaster because I liked the fact it had more chrome & a better pillion seat.

ukusa
8th November 2010, 21:00

what year did you end up getting? Tidy, any extras?

AllanC
9th November 2010, 09:36
that's what I like to hear!
A family friend had an old Bonneville in the garage when I was a teenager, always thought it was pretty damn cool (he's still got it, a '65 I think). I grew up mostly with Jap dirt bikes, but when it came time to go road bike, Triumph was the only choice for me. My first was an America, probably chose it over the Speedmaster because I liked the fact it had more chrome & a better pillion seat.

Yeah, the seats not the best for a pillion but my wife said it was fine (so that's good enough for me!) & I love the look of it.

AllanC
9th November 2010, 09:37
what year did you end up getting? Tidy, any extras?

It's a 2003 but really tidy, only 8,600k's (although I added about 300 over the weekend). I'll try and figure out how to put a pic up.

AllanC
9th November 2010, 09:42
Hope this works

twinbruva
9th November 2010, 17:42
However, I do reserve the right to get ........ a harley at some point in the future!

Good lad, that's something you'll never regret.