PDA

View Full Version : Panniers & racks

dreamer87
2nd November 2010, 10:54
Looking for a metal fabricator to make a frame on the tail end of a KLX250 on the north shore, anyone recommend anyone?

dreamer87
2nd November 2010, 11:40
Oh and also can you get road type sprokets for a KLX250 & also harder/higher mid suspension coil?

dreamer87
3rd November 2010, 07:51
bumpjhvjvjhv

The Baron
3rd November 2010, 08:01
Talk to the local bike shops, they would have contacts they use for odd jobs or contact any
engineering company. I find small engineering companys are keen to make anything you ask for.

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 10:21
What sort of rack are you looking for? Ventura do rear pack racks for the KLX - costs about $250 all up I seem to recall (for the brackets and rack). They're pretty damn slick as well.

As for sprockets - I tried going up to a 15 on the front (factory is 14), but it does zap the power. Yup you get to rev about 500 lower on the motorway, but you need to change down for any incline, and the drop in power for the off road stuff is very noticeable. I changed back to the 14 after a few weeks.

What year is the klx? I have some extra stuff for a 2009 model that I need to get rid of that I've stumbled across since selling mine...

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 10:22
funny story - I've still got my 15 tooth sprocket here if you really want to try it...

dreamer87
3rd November 2010, 15:07
What sort of rack are you looking for? Ventura do rear pack racks for the KLX - costs about $250 all up I seem to recall (for the brackets and rack). They're pretty damn slick as well.

As for sprockets - I tried going up to a 15 on the front (factory is 14), but it does zap the power. Yup you get to rev about 500 lower on the motorway, but you need to change down for any incline, and the drop in power for the off road stuff is very noticeable. I changed back to the 14 after a few weeks.

What year is the klx? I have some extra stuff for a 2009 model that I need to get rid of that I've stumbled across since selling mine...

Thanks for the message

KLX250 has existing pack rack but want to get side pannier frame and basic boxes fabricated

What would you recommend sprocket wise?

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 15:21
What would you recommend sprocket wise?

Depends on the sort of riding you do. If you're mainly road based with the occasional sojourn into adv riding/dirtbiking, stick with the factory 14t - it covers you pretty well across the board. If you're more into the offroading scene or like to have more up and go, try a 13t. I wouldn't recommend the 15 - the road legal klx is underpowered as it is...

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 15:24
Thanks for the message

KLX250 has existing pack rack but want to get side pannier frame and basic boxes fabricated

The guys in the KLX section of the Kawasaki Forums (www.kawasakiforums.com) are nuts about customising and mods - there's some awesome luggage solutions there! Try find Deej's jerry can holders - they could easily be adapted to carrying panniers, and all made at home!

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 15:26
http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 - that's the klx section.

dreamer87
3rd November 2010, 17:41
Thanks mate.

have you seen the jerry can rack thing?

3L4NS1R
3rd November 2010, 18:30
Thanks mate.

have you seen the jerry can rack thing?

Yeah - found it again! here for everyone's enjoyment!

Deej's Jerry Can Mod (http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22698)

dreamer87
4th November 2010, 14:25
Yeah - found it again! here for everyone's enjoyment!

Deej's Jerry Can Mod (http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22698)

Cheers, have visited a fabricator today who can make up custom boxes and pannier rack/frame for a KLX250.

Am on the search for a decent Road Reg'd KLX250 out there also if anyone has one.

Looking to set up for summer touring project ASAP.

ADVGD
4th November 2010, 15:42
Thanks for the message

If you are looking for basic boxes you may find off the shelf aftermarket racks and boxes (if available for your bike) will be more cost effective. I had my racks and boxes fabricated from a local fabricator (Specfab (http://www.specfab.co.nz/index.php)) because there were no aftermarket options available for my bike, I am very happy with the job done with a final cost of a little over $2,800. View racks/boxes here (http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/37/drz250-panniers.php). Admittedly there was additional work involved to accommodate for the rifle/rod rack, a cavity for the exhaust, plus I wanted them to be spot on. There are a number of overseas companies with simple alloy boxes at pretty good prices. Whatever way you go, having boxes makes multi-day trips a breeze, waterproof, lockable, you can fit all your gear in plus strap stuff to the top, they're great :yes:

dreamer87
5th November 2010, 07:43
If you are looking for basic boxes you may find off the shelf aftermarket racks and boxes (if available for your bike) will be more cost effective. I had my racks and boxes fabricated from a local fabricator (Specfab (http://www.specfab.co.nz/index.php)) because there were no aftermarket options available for my bike, I am very happy with the job done with a final cost of a little over $2,800. View racks/boxes here (http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/articles/12/37/drz250-panniers.php). Admittedly there was additional work involved to accommodate for the rifle/rod rack, a cavity for the exhaust, plus I wanted them to be spot on. There are a number of overseas companies with simple alloy boxes at pretty good prices. Whatever way you go, having boxes makes multi-day trips a breeze, waterproof, lockable, you can fit all your gear in plus strap stuff to the top, they're great :yes:

Hey Man WOW thanks for the link that is exactly what I have been looking for, a decent how to and images, close up ones too of the frame system which I have been searching for to get some idea on how to get around it on a KLX250.

What dri bags and things did you use on your trips?
Want to give me an email? Ill DM you.

ADVGD
5th November 2010, 08:19
What dri bags and things did you use on your trips?

With the wet edge folded into the pannier boxes they are 100% water proof in rain hail or snow, but if you go over in a river crossing then that's a different story :blink:. Drybags are a good option, I highly recommend them. I find using multiple small drybags much easier than one big liner/drybag, easier to pack and quickly find something if needed, both on the road and at camp. Each drybag is a different colour relating to a packing list eg blue = cooking gear, red = food, green = toiletries and first aid kit, etc. My mates give me a hard time about how organised I am but I know when I hit the road absolutely everything is packed and don't get 200k down the road and go "damn I forgot my such'n such". I can just relax and enjoy the trip

These are the drybags I use (Sea to Summit drybags (http://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-summit-dry-sack.html)), they are cheap as chips, completely waterproof, and the ones I am currently using have lasted 3 years of heavy use and not one has yet failed

dreamer87
5th November 2010, 11:01
With the wet edge folded into the pannier boxes they are 100% water proof in rain hail or snow, but if you go over in a river crossing then that's a different story :blink:. Drybags are a good option, I highly recommend them. I find using multiple small drybags much easier than one big liner/drybag, easier to pack and quickly find something if needed, both on the road and at camp. Each drybag is a different colour relating to a packing list eg blue = cooking gear, red = food, green = toiletries and first aid kit, etc. My mates give me a hard time about how organised I am but I know when I hit the road absolutely everything is packed and don't get 200k down the road and go "damn I forgot my such'n such". I can just relax and enjoy the trip

These are the drybags I use (Sea to Summit drybags (http://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-summit-dry-sack.html)), they are cheap as chips, completely waterproof, and the ones I am currently using have lasted 3 years of heavy use and not one has yet failed

Thanks once again, yes pays to be organized Im a organized freak too.

You are full of insight! That website to to bivouac outdoor is eprfect, they have all gear bags I need and duffles. I plan onto to be taking clothes & personal things, tent & some food/drink items as Ill be staying with people and places ie motels etc.

Thats another thing. Where would one park their bike if they are staying at stay a motel pub or a backpackers?

Also what about parking ina town, does anyone go through your bags?

Tank bags I am in search for too for a KLX250

3L4NS1R
5th November 2010, 15:40
Thats another thing. Where would one park their bike if they are staying at stay a motel pub or a backpackers?

Tank bags I am in search for too for a KLX250

I always ask when I'm booking if there's a garage, shed, or even a courtyard to park up in. They're usually pretty accomodating - once had to ride up a decent flight of stairs and park on a verandah. Ah, I miss my klx...

Tank bag - good luck. Especially on the late model klx's, there's very little metal exposed, so magnetic tank bags have to be small. I got a small Rjays one that has magnets and a strap that goes around the steering column. Also doubles as a handbag on drag nights.

BTW. When you do get a klx, hold on to it. Never let it go. That's my lesson for the day.