PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head to bottom end gasket sealant OK?

adamt
8th November 2010, 19:09
is it legit to use crc gasket sealant between the cylinder and bottom end ? that stuff is really good, as i just had a new paper gasket fail me

tri boy
8th November 2010, 19:46
Some sealants are very good options in certain cases.
But remember, the base gasket is also a form of packing shim that allows a set piston to head chamber clearance.
Alternate sizes are available with some engines, but running just sealant may reduce the clearance to an unacceptable amount.

Motu
8th November 2010, 19:48
I'd find out why the genuine paper gasket failed first.And what is CRC gasket sealant?

tri boy
8th November 2010, 19:50
And what is CRC gasket sealant?

Think it might be similar to Loctite 515.
I think old dinosaurs like yourself used a slurry mix of pig poo and peat:dodge:

Ocean1
8th November 2010, 19:59
Think it might be similar to Loctite 515.
I think old dinosaurs like yourself used a slurry mix of pig poo and peat:dodge:

:niceone: Thin smear of oil for most stuff.

For the few other things... Caterpiller gasket cement. If you can find it.

adamt
8th November 2010, 20:53
this is it here http://www.hellotrade.com/crc-industries-nz-nz/ados-red-gasket-260.html bloody good stuff looked at the old gasket well new one and it never sealed right, hasn't been made properly or wrong. could make one i spose and use sealant for back up ? i really dont wanna pull it apart again,

Motu
8th November 2010, 21:04
I wouldn't use silicon on a base gasket unless it was a OE quality....that red crap is useless.For something that really works try Three Bond 1104.I've never seen a genuine base gasket fail unless there was a reason....I've seen my own ones fail of course.

adamt
8th November 2010, 21:40
yeah it wasnt oem i dont think, got it off a guy on here, anyway where do i get this Three Bond 1104 ?

pete376403
8th November 2010, 23:17
I've made base gaskets from pizza box cardboard in the past. They've worked ok.