PDA

View Full Version : Any web dev/open source boffins with....

Luckylegs
10th November 2010, 09:33
Any web dev/open source boffins with Hands on Lucene/SOLR development/intergration experience. Looking for some real world (local) experience with development time/costs.

Feel free to post here but obviously would like to get in touch and discuss so equally just shooting us a PM would be good

Cheers

Grasshopperus
11th November 2010, 11:52
Hey matey,

We implemented Lucene as a search agent for our website about 4-5 years ago. It's since been superceded by Google Search Appliances although that wasn't by the choice of the technical team :)

We run it within Tomcat (of course) and from what I remember it "just worked". We haven't needed to maintain or upgrade it since the initial development so I'm afraid I can't help you with any specific code or implementation details but my understanding is that it's only continued to improve from release to release.

I'd recommend it and use it myself my own projects (if I needed it)

In terms of costs, it took 2 days for a crack Java developer to fully integrate Lucene with our site, that included getting it to subscribe to Oracle AQ's to get updates (new content to index) and HTML templates too! So extremely quick to implement in our case.

Luckylegs
11th November 2010, 20:30
Hey matey,

We implemented Lucene as a search agent for our website about 4-5 years ago. It's since been superceded by Google Search Appliances although that wasn't by the choice of the technical team :)

We run it within Tomcat (of course) and from what I remember it "just worked". We haven't needed to maintain or upgrade it since the initial development so I'm afraid I can't help you with any specific code or implementation details but my understanding is that it's only continued to improve from release to release.

I'd recommend it and use it myself my own projects (if I needed it)

In terms of costs, it took 2 days for a crack Java developer to fully integrate Lucene with our site, that included getting it to subscribe to Oracle AQ's to get updates (new content to index) and HTML templates too! So extremely quick to implement in our case.

Thanks dude, appreciate that. GSA is the other option on the table. Theyre just so expensive im sure we can get more bang for buck even taking into account the dev costs and hardware....

Grasshopperus
11th November 2010, 22:49
One GSA with support is like $50k. Then you'll need 2 for prod and one to test on :( They do take a long time to arrive into the country as there's no local stock. They are re-badged Dell 2U servers with single NICs and a HUGE 30 minute boot time when power-cycled.

The thing is you'll never be able to develop anything as good as what the GSAs offer even at that price.

Of course you might find that you only want one feature from the GSAs and that it is cheaper to add to Lucene. You can give anything you develop back to the community and others may help you support/improve it.

Luckylegs
12th November 2010, 07:20
One GSA with support is like $50k. Then you'll need 2 for prod and one to test on :( They do take a long time to arrive into the country as there's no local stock. They are re-badged Dell 2U servers with single NICs and a HUGE 30 minute boot time when power-cycled.

The thing is you'll never be able to develop anything as good as what the GSAs offer even at that price.

Of course you might find that you only want one feature from the GSAs and that it is cheaper to add to Lucene. You can give anything you develop back to the community and others may help you support/improve it.

Presumably, your talking about the 'Mini' appliance. For the big boy (9009) we can easily add a zero to that cost and thats why the open source route has appeal.