PDA

View Full Version : VOIP - Replace landline?

Ronin
10th November 2010, 12:52
Right, since the Foxzee one and I are now out in the back of nowhere I am looking at replacing our landline with VOIP through 2talk. Keeping in mind that our broadband is wireless to our ISP 4 meg up/down with no coper involved.

I have the VOIP adapter setup and tested it with normal phone plugged in and the quality is way better than our land line.

Has anyone been down this route? Good, bad, indifferent?

bogan
10th November 2010, 12:55
we use voip atm, our internet connection is a bit shit though so sometime cuts out for half a second or so. Also, don't get an old shitty voip box that requires months of setup and testing to get it to work properly :facepalm:

but when it works, it works as good as a normal phone, and get free landline calls anywhere in NZ (200mins with vodafon iirc)

Ronin
10th November 2010, 13:01
we use voip atm, our internet connection is a bit shit though so sometime cuts out for half a second or so. Also, don't get an old shitty voip box that requires months of setup and testing to get it to work properly :facepalm:

but when it works, it works as good as a normal phone, and get free landline calls anywhere in NZ (200mins with vodafon iirc)

What about 111 calls? Gonna port our landline number as well.

bogan
10th November 2010, 13:06
What about 111 calls? Gonna port our landline number as well.

No idea bout the 111 calls, plenty of cellphones round if the voip is down though so not worried.

Ronin
10th November 2010, 13:16
No idea bout the 111 calls, plenty of cellphones round if the voip is down though so not worried.

Not where we are lol. I could always jump on the quad and ride up the hill I suppose...

Usarka
10th November 2010, 13:32
Do they do traffic shaping so your phone doesn't go to shit while other members of the house are on the net in the other room jacking off to whoopi goldberg in a nuns-habit?

bogan
10th November 2010, 13:39
Do they do traffic shaping so your phone doesn't go to shit while other members of the house are on the net in the other room jacking off to whoopi goldberg in a nuns-habit?

depends more on the router you have i think, ours has an option to do this, dunno how effective it is though. Good rule of thumb is if somebody you know is jacking off to whoopi goldberg in a nuns-habit, shoot them, problem solved!

Ronin
10th November 2010, 13:54

No traffic shaping on the ISP's part. Will look at the router to see if it will do QOS.

Whoopi in a habit you say?

slowpoke
10th November 2010, 22:40
Right, since the Foxzee one and I are now out in the back of nowhere I am looking at replacing our landline with VOIP through 2talk. Keeping in mind that our broadband is wireless to our ISP 4 meg up/down with no coper involved.

I have the VOIP adapter setup and tested it with normal phone plugged in and the quality is way better than our land line.

Has anyone been down this route? Good, bad, indifferent?

Hey just on a slight tangent, how have you found the wireless broadband connection for speed/cost/providor etc. We're just finalising a build in a different part of Nowheresville and we're thinking it isn't worth the cost/hassle to run a cable 350m to the nearest landline connection. Any info would be much appreciated.

Dadpole
10th November 2010, 23:13
We have had our broadband and VOIP (satellite) with Farmside for 4 months. The phone has been an unreliable POS. All brand new gear, but we still had calls not put through or no sound at the callers end. We went back on wired phone today. NOW it works....

Ronin
11th November 2010, 07:06
Hey just on a slight tangent, how have you found the wireless broadband connection for speed/cost/providor etc. We're just finalising a build in a different part of Nowheresville and we're thinking it isn't worth the cost/hassle to run a cable 350m to the nearest landline connection. Any info would be much appreciated.

We use http://www.wizbiz.co.nz/index1.htm

The valley we are in had just had a big install done as there was no line of sight. Cost wise the install if you have LOS is pretty good. I get 4 meg up and down but it is more expensive than telescum etc. But once the VOIP goes through and I get rid of the land line it will work out about even.

Gimme a PM if ya want.

Ronin
11th November 2010, 07:41
We have had our broadband and VOIP (satellite) with Farmside for 4 months. The phone has been an unreliable POS. All brand new gear, but we still had calls not put through or no sound at the callers end. We went back on wired phone today. NOW it works....

Farmside is crap and has been getting worse for ages. I have customers running away from them in droves.

wysper
11th November 2010, 09:19
We are with XNET

Use their fusion plan, coz we are a little rural speeds aren't awesome but ok.
Voip on the phone is fine, 98% of the time we can use the broadband and phone at the same time with no issues, sometimes if I am live streaming video and someone is on the phone it can lag.

But would recommend it. doesn't seem to be HEAPS cheaper than having a landline. One plus is we rent and we have moved once since getting it and have kept the same number.
Also made sure I was unlisted everywhere and havent had a single telemarketer call in over 2 years.
WAHOOO.

Dadpole
11th November 2010, 15:33
Farmside is crap and has been getting worse for ages. I have customers running away from them in droves.

I noticed that...

Ronin
18th November 2010, 15:36
Alrighty then. Time for an update. I made an executive decision and had our land line number ported over to a NZ company called 2talk. The port cost $22.50. I can live with that ( keep in mind it's the same company doing the porting as telecom and vodafone use, don't they charge $49?) The number was switched over when they said it would be.

All of a sudden my Uniden cordless ph is alive! Caller ID works (never had it before), the blinking message light works.

Call quality is 10/10 so far. No dropped calls. The web based control panel is great. When you dial a number it does a reverse lookup on the white pages and you can see who you have dialed, same for anyone dialing in. You can see who it was.

So far... I'm a fan.

Oh and you would have to talk for 64 hours to use 5 gigs of data.

Dadpole
19th November 2010, 22:35
Nice to hear it is working out OK for you. We are happy to be back on landline after monthe of dodgy service. That was satellite though.

I was on the phone to someone out at Tora who is on Farmside Sat phone today. If I didn't know the SP, i would have assumed there was no connection due to the 30 seconds of silence before it rang.

I guess we have a way to go before satellite VOIP is viable...