PDA

View Full Version : Old Kiwi classics, Pork Pie etc

fuknKIWI
10th November 2010, 20:18
I'll bet a fair few here will be none the wiser about Pork Pie, Smash Palace, Sleeping Dogs, Utu, Solo & (?) "Skin Deep"
Does anyone know if these classics are available on DVD?
I wonder how they would stand the test of time?
I recently got some Dooks Of Hazard out of the video library & apart from Daisy's leg the General Lee & the driving I thought what a load of crap:facepalm:

Latte
10th November 2010, 20:23
I have pork pie on DVD, although it's not remastered , prob watch it once/twice a year.

Always thought Kiwi films of the era had a strange bleakness about them, vs the chintzy american films of the time. Prob why they were so good.

munster
10th November 2010, 20:25
There is a Special Edition DVD of Goodbye Pork Pie, with new 5.1 sound. We watched it last weekend. I also have Sleeping Dogs, Bad Taste, Braindead, Meet the Feebles, The Frighteners & Heavenly Creatures. All made in NZ.

Oh yeah and Worlds Fastest Indian.

scissorhands
10th November 2010, 20:26
'Vigil' and 'Crush' are favourite's

fuknKIWI
10th November 2010, 20:28
There is a Special Edition DVD of Goodbye Pork Pie, with new 5.1 sound. We watched it last weekend. I also have Sleeping Dogs, Bad Taste, Braindead, Meet the Feebles, The Frighteners & Heavenly Creatures. All made in NZ.

Interesting, any pointers where to score one please?

tri boy
10th November 2010, 20:36
Quiet Earth-Bruno Lawrence.
That Will Smith dude tried to do a movie similar. Needed zombie dogs etc to pull it off.

Laava
10th November 2010, 21:59
Footrot Flats!
Brilliant film with an awesome soundtrack and launched a couple or three great tracks as well!

onearmedbandit
10th November 2010, 22:24
Quiet Earth is a fantastic movie. Goodbye Pork Pie is still a great classic to watch too.

scissorhands
10th November 2010, 23:08
Sleeping Dogs
Shaker Run

Kickaha
11th November 2010, 05:27
Quiet Earth-Bruno Lawrence.
That Will Smith dude tried to do a movie similar. Needed zombie dogs etc to pull it off.

Yeah but that was a remake of a remake, watch the Omega man for a better version and Quiet Earth was based a round a whole different idea

Sleeping Dogs
Shaker Run

Sleeping Dogs (Smiths Dream)
Goodbye Pork pie
Quiet Earth

Would be my top three

Smash Palace
Bridge to no where

would also be up there

schrodingers cat
11th November 2010, 06:11
Vincent Ward - the Navigator.

Not perfect but beautiful and funny and sad and a wonderful, wonderful fairy tale.

Also Smash Palace. If only for the old HQ mounted copper trying to chase the Ralt...

But not Battletruck, Never Battletruck.

Maha
11th November 2010, 06:16
The last line in Goodbye Pork Pie is a classic...sitting in a car on the train track with a gun noosed around the cops head and Bruno says...
''You're a fuckwit Ray''...

MIXONE
11th November 2010, 06:24
The early Peter Jackson movies are classics.

munster
11th November 2010, 06:30
Interesting, any pointers where to score one please?

Got my copy off Trademe.

The last line in Goodbye Pork Pie is a classic...sitting in a car on the train track with a gun noosed around the cops head and Bruno says...
''You're a fuckwit Ray''...

That was Smash Palace.

Maha
11th November 2010, 09:41
That was Smash Palace.

As soon as I saw the quote and what I had said, I knew what the reply was going to be...
Yes....Smash Palace, my brain had only been engaged for 3 minutes at that time.

Banditbandit
11th November 2010, 09:49
I recently got some Dooks Of Hazard out of the video library & apart from Daisy's leg the General Lee & the driving I thought what a load of crap:facepalm:

That's because, apart from Daisy's legs (and boobs) and the car it was crap ...

Smifffy
11th November 2010, 10:29
As soon as I saw the quote and what I had said, I knew what the reply was going to be...
Yes....Smash Palace, my brain had only been engaged for 3 minutes at that time.

Blondini's last words in Pork pie were still pretty classic tho.

neels
11th November 2010, 10:58
Never say die.

Race for the Yankee Zephyr.

Perfect strangers.

MSTRS
11th November 2010, 11:11

All of them were...Pukemanu, A Team, MacGyver, CHiPs, etc :sick:

Came A Hot Friday good for a laugh

Laava
11th November 2010, 13:05

Still better than 'Mr Ed' dubbed into maori!

wysper
11th November 2010, 13:12

where did you get bad taste and braindead, I have meet the feebles but haven't seen the other two.

wysper
11th November 2010, 13:14

They also had a compound bow with exploding arrows. That has to be up there for cool factor.

munster
11th November 2010, 13:31
where did you get bad taste and braindead, I have meet the feebles but haven't seen the other two.

Trademe is your friend.:cool:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=330295430

Sorry, can't find Braindead. There's one there, but it's an American Film, not Peter Jackson's gory classic.

pete376403
11th November 2010, 22:17
Sleeping Dogs
Shaker Run

Shaker Run!!! I was in that movie (you have to know just when to pause the big car jump scene - I'm a blur in the crowd scene wearing a black jacket...)

Berries
11th November 2010, 22:25
I saw Bad Taste years before I had even heard of New Zealand. A classic. I thought Goodbye Pork Pie was shit but then I had to watch it as I made pork pies and wanted to know what was going on. Maybe you had to be here/there whenever it was made.

Have never posted a Youtube link so hope this works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W8fBsLYHcE&feature=player_embedded

Ha ha, it does. Grab a beer and check out some weird Japanese shit.

spacemonkey
11th November 2010, 22:30
Got my copy of pork pie last year from the Warehouse.... was $5 I think?
Another good Kiwi movie to get is "In my Fathers Den" :yes:

ellipsis
11th November 2010, 23:58
....i liked those pommy flower pots myself...bill and ben....fucking irrelevant, i know, but.....kinda still get a horn on when troy tempests , infatuation, marina , hits my horizon...ohh..thats right..... kiwi stuff....human instinct:woohoo:....shit...that ain't a moving picture either....im getting all in a tizz now...fuck off...

MiniFlick
12th April 2011, 21:09
Did you get a copy yet?
The Warehouse has some

Indiana_Jones
12th April 2011, 21:18
All of them were...Pukemanu, A Team, MacGyver, CHiPs, etc :sick:

Came A Hot Friday good for a laugh

woah woah woah....

Fucking A-team rocks...

Own a few seasons of that on DVD lol

-Indy

Banditbandit
13th April 2011, 09:05
Still better than 'Mr Ed' dubbed into maori!

Ae. He mahi kino tēnei ... pretty bad ...

allycatz
13th April 2011, 10:05
Vincent Ward - the Navigator.

Not perfect but beautiful and funny and sad and a wonderful, wonderful fairy tale.

Also Smash Palace. If only for the old HQ mounted copper trying to chase the Ralt...

But not Battletruck, Never Battletruck.

Ha ha, photo lab I worked in back then did all the processing of still shots for battletruck....was sort of a bad imitation of Mad Max

jim.cox
13th April 2011, 11:24
Battle Truck was great

"Inventory and requisition"...