PDA

View Full Version : Reconditioning/refinishing metal

R6_kid
11th June 2005, 20:17
I wanna clean up all the metal addons on the zxr. When i first put it together i scrubbed off most discolouration and oxidation with a wire brush but what was once shiney has now faded :weep:

What is the best way to get metals (mostly alluminium i think) back to the good old shiney look? I appreciate i wont be able to get 100% original look but what do i need to get it looking nice again?

I cleaned up the can a bit with 800 grit paper all over followed by a couple of times over with metal polish, came out ok, but it aint quite what i want it to be...

Sensei
11th June 2005, 20:46
You'll need some S/S polish & buffer wheels to get it mint then to keep it that way it would need to be relacquered

R6_kid
11th June 2005, 20:51
What does S/S mean? Also how do i go about relaquering?

RiderInBlack
11th June 2005, 20:51
You'll need some S/S polish & buffer wheels to get it mint then to keep it that way it would need to be relacqueredOr a clear powder coat.

RiderInBlack
11th June 2005, 20:52
What does S/S mean?Stainless Steel

R6_kid
11th June 2005, 21:05
cheers for that :niceone:

should have the zxr looking shiney again soon.

WINJA
11th June 2005, 21:26
I wanna clean up all the metal addons on the zxr. When i first put it together i scrubbed off most discolouration and oxidation with a wire brush but what was once shiney has now faded :weep:

What is the best way to get metals (mostly alluminium i think) back to the good old shiney look? I appreciate i wont be able to get 100% original look but what do i need to get it looking nice again?

I cleaned up the can a bit with 800 grit paper all over followed by a couple of times over with metal polish, came out ok, but it aint quite what i want it to be...
STEELO WITH SOAP AND WATER THEN THAT CHEAP AS AURI SPACE AGE POLISH

sAsLEX
11th June 2005, 22:27
Autosol is a good one

FROSTY
11th June 2005, 22:30
autosol is bloody fantastic

WINJA
11th June 2005, 22:33
autosol is bloody fantastic
IS THAT WHAT YOU USE TO POLISH YOUR KNOB ? :tugger:

scumdog
11th June 2005, 23:52
Autosol is tops and replace all non-critical bolts with s/s ones ( file off the markings, put them in a bench drill at low speed and use 600 grit then 1200 grit then a rag with Autosol (watch it does not get hooked up in the chuck) and they look like chrome.

Trouble is that all the freshly pollished alloy will oxidise unless you give it a squirt with clear laquer and another squirt where bolts might have scraped off the laquer.

Motu
13th June 2005, 07:58
Dr Emer's metal cleaner and polish - don't know if you can get it these days,it used to be available in Mitre 10...the cleaner and polish is a paste,the jar in front of me now rattles,so it might need some thinning.They also used to do a liquid that would clean crap off metal like you wouldn't believe - used to use to clean corroded HT contacts in coil towers and dist caps etc.Caution - this is aggressive stuff,it actually takes off the top layer of corroded metal.

Pixie
13th June 2005, 09:14
Dr Emer's metal cleaner and polish - don't know if you can get it these days,it used to be available in Mitre 10...the cleaner and polish is a paste,the jar in front of me now rattles,so it might need some thinning.They also used to do a liquid that would clean crap off metal like you wouldn't believe - used to use to clean corroded HT contacts in coil towers and dist caps etc.Caution - this is aggressive stuff,it actually takes off the top layer of corroded metal.
I tried to find Dr Emer's recently,but the manufacturer appears to no longer exist.
It was very good for removing the gold oxide off stainless exhausts.
I found an alternative for this,which is Easy Glow from PPS Industries in penrose.