PDA

View Full Version : new gn250s...what are they like?

sunhuntin
11th June 2005, 23:07
ok, so got told today mum was thinking of getting me one of the new gn's [im on an 86 right now] i read a thread a while back about a new one that rusted with a couple months.

anyone had any experience with the new ones who can tell me if i was an idiot to turn the offer down?

:sunny: huntin

John
11th June 2005, 23:15
I hear that the older models had a much better standard of quality compared to the newer ones, dont know never touched one in my life.

N4CR
11th June 2005, 23:20
Try pushing your luck and ask for a zzr or something else you might fancy.. virago or something (whatever).... might be worth a shot. But if you do have troubles with the current bike that aint worth fixing and your mum wont budge about getting another bike (3k for a new gn?) then go for it anyway I suppose.

Good luck making the right decisions!

Coyote
12th June 2005, 11:27
3 grand could get you a nice RGV250 :whistle:

Ixion
12th June 2005, 11:29
3 grand could get you a nice RGV250 :whistle:

NOT a good idea. :nono:

SlashWylde
12th June 2005, 11:51
Hmm, I wouldn't go near the new GN250's. They are now made in China and I've heard that quality standards have suffered as a result. One can't expect too much from a brand new bike retailing at $3000.

More to the point, if there's a possibility of a new 250cc bike in the wind why not go for something more exciting, a V-twin perhaps, like for example a Virago!

Hell, I'm looking to sell my '93 model soon for around the $3000 mark, any interest?

sunhuntin
12th June 2005, 12:27
naw, i aint gonna go flying around on an imitation harley, lmfao. bad enough on the gn, what with the harley patches all over me :wait:

was just after some stories from people who have or had a new gn, and what their experiences were with them

thanks all :niceone:

Jonty
12th June 2005, 13:11
GN? $3K you can have my ZXR, probably the furtherest thing from a Harley :niceone: You will have a lot more fun than on a GN. Anyway, with the new GNs you have to keep an I eye on the oil level as I am told the oil can run out quickly.

crashe
12th June 2005, 15:31
Sunhuntin - there aint nothing wrong with a Virago thank you...lol
I have one.... and people quite often mistake mine for a harley.... hehehe
Probably cos its black and white, the same colours as a Harley....
and I wear Harley Davidson boots.

Slashwylde - Now ya know that sissy bar on the back will look sooooo good on my bike.... and taking it off ya bike wont make a bit of difference to the price that you will get for it when ya sell it... so just give me ya sissy bar .... You will get the same amount of money whether it was on or not.
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

Coyote
12th June 2005, 15:34
NOT a good idea. :nono:
Why on earth not? :-p its only like a 50hp difference between the GN and RGV

Go for Jonty's ZXR. I haven't ridden a ZXR but supposedly my CBR is almost equal to one, and my CBR is great. Shouldn't have a problem with power as they are fairly smooth, but I'm not sure if you would like the riding position

Sutage
12th June 2005, 19:32
If you want a harley for 3 grand, buy 3 of them mini ones weld em together and make a big one! taht will get you the same respect as riding a GN with harley patches.. :/

Waylander
12th June 2005, 20:17
Nothing wrong with Viragos. Thier styling is completly different from a harley so why you people keep calling them "wanna-be harleys" is beyond me. Atleast when you customize a Virago you arn't gonna be useing a bunch of factory made parts that look exactly the same as everyone elses.

Ixion
12th June 2005, 20:25
Nothing wrong with Viragos. Thier styling is completly different from a harley so why you people keep calling them "wanna-be harleys" is beyond me. Atleast when you customize a Virago you arn't gonna be useing a bunch of factory made parts that look exactly the same as everyone elses.

I think when people see any big V-twin that's not a sportsbike, they'll compare it with Harley. Which I guess is a tribute to H-D marketing .

H-D is probably always going to be the yardstick against which all cruisers are measured. Unfair perhaps but reality.

And H-D enthusiasts will always sneer at Japanese bikes, the way Triumph and Norton riders sneered at the early Japanese sports bikes in the 1970's

Sutage
12th June 2005, 20:50

When someone customies a HD.. they add flames and tassles :rofl:

Im being unfair actually, i just moved down to te awamutu short term and theres 2 harley shops here, they are actually nice bikes but way too expensive for me to ever prob think of buying one, been looking in the tattoo shops too for another tat and theres some mean HD ones, the one i liked was an american flag and an eagle with the words 'long may it fly, long may i ride' if i was from the states and had a harley id def get it:D

SlashWylde
12th June 2005, 21:02
naw, i aint gonna go flying around on an imitation harley, lmfao. bad enough on the gn, what with the harley patches all over me :wait:

was just after some stories from people who have or had a new gn, and what their experiences were with them

thanks all :niceone:

Imitation Harley!?! :crazy: Whatever :rofl:

Waylander
12th June 2005, 21:08
Anyway the Viragos are really great bikes no matter what size.

Don't know about the GNs cause I've never ridden with one so I'll let the others tell you about them.

Just wanted to say don't rule out the XVs so quikly. You really have to ride one to truely appretiate them.

zooter
12th June 2005, 21:54
So what bike do you fancy once you've got a full licence? No point in getting a zxr cbr whatever if you fancy a Harley.
I heard from a dealer that the chrome on the chinese ones can be suspect but covered under warranty. I guess if it doesn't break out in rust in the first few months you'll have traded it by then.
But why would you want to drop the depreciation on a new 250 when there are so many bargains around at this time of the year?

crashe
13th June 2005, 16:50
Sunhuntin - Go to your local bike shops and ask them to let you ride a Virago 250cc and then come back and tell us what you think of them.

I am suggesting the 250cc as you are still on your learners.

The Virago handles beautifully... and so nice to cruise on...
:ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride: :ride:

campbellluke
14th June 2005, 01:01
Virago 250cc only 22hp tho :-(

That's the same as a GN250.
Probably not worth it.

Edit: --->
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xv_250_virago_1990.php

Top speed only 121. Just 5 gears.

I can get 121 in 3rd gear, and I have a 6 speed :-(

I think that the key is not to put too much money in your 250cc stage. So I would stick with the GN. The new ones shouldn't go any faster than the old ones. May be wrong on this? - Only GN I have ridden was from the 80s.

crashe
14th June 2005, 10:14
Virago 250cc only 22hp tho :-(

That's the same as a GN250.
Probably not worth it.

Edit: --->
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xv_250_virago_1990.php

Top speed only 121. Just 5 gears.

I can get 121 in 3rd gear, and I have a 6 speed :-(.

Top speed on my Virago is a lot higher than 120km.... been up to 130km....
But on a few rides the lads reckon that I have gone even higher...

White trash
14th June 2005, 10:59
I can get 121 in 3rd gear, and I have a 6 speed :-(

I can do 146 in first gear.

zadok
14th June 2005, 11:07
The GN250 has been around for a long time and obviously got a good reputation for being a good learner/commuter, but I think it's time for you to move on, especially after what has been said about the build quality. Check out some of the suggestions in the right price bracket.

Ms Piggy
14th June 2005, 14:30
Hmm, I wouldn't go near the new GN250's. They are now made in China and I've heard that quality standards have suffered as a result. One can't expect too much from a brand new bike retailing at $3000.
Yep - agree with this. In my limited experience stay away form GN's if you want a bike that you can ride long trips on.

campbellluke
14th June 2005, 17:41
I can do 146 in first gear.

I can get 70 in 1st before my engine cuts out at 17,000rpm.

mikey
14th June 2005, 17:51
dont do it., youll regret for the next fwe years. sell your for 500 an take your mums 3000 an get yourself a zxr or cbr or if you can ride as good as me a rgv250 or fuck the law an get a 400

NC
14th June 2005, 18:42
ZXR250 or a TZR250 :D Much better :niceone:

scumdog
14th June 2005, 19:06
I think when people see any big V-twin that's not a sportsbike, they'll compare it with Harley. Which I guess is a tribute to H-D marketing .

H-D is probably always going to be the yardstick against which all cruisers are measured. Unfair perhaps but reality.

And H-D enthusiasts will always sneer at Japanese bikes, the way Triumph and Norton riders sneered at the early Japanese sports bikes in the 1970's

Hey!! I never sneered at any Japanese bikes (I own one!) but I might sneer at their owners if need be (same as I'd sneer at a H-D owner if need be)
Each to their own eh?

But yeah, cruiser type bikes were made by H-D before Jap bikes were on the market so I s'pose it's only natural that any Jap bike that was a 'cruiser' style would be seen as a 'wannabr'.

I suppose if H-D made a R1 look-a-like it would get the same comments in reverse - a wannabe sports bike?

thehollowmen
14th June 2005, 21:54
My GN250 was traded in today.
it was 2004 and I had no problems with it, aside from the handlebars being set at the wrong angle and me (being new) not noticing.

Anyways.
My advice, save the money for something with a bit more power. Or a deposit on something larger when the full comes about.

thehollowmen
14th June 2005, 21:56
Hey!! I never sneered at any Japanese bikes (I own one!) but I might sneer at their owners if need be (same as I'd sneer at a H-D owner if need be)
Each to their own eh?

But yeah, cruiser type bikes were made by H-D before Jap bikes were on the market so I s'pose it's only natural that any Jap bike that was a 'cruiser' style would be seen as a 'wannabr'.

I suppose if H-D made a R1 look-a-like it would get the same comments in reverse - a wannabe sports bike?

I've heard some nasty comments outside the otago university to someone driving a 100 aniversary V rod.

Jeremy
14th June 2005, 22:14
Unless your current GN250 is having problems don't bother. Otherwise all your doing is swapping something that you know works to an unknown GN250 that just happens to have 0km on the clock. Save the money for something that you want.

N4CR
14th June 2005, 23:23
Top speed on my Virago is a lot higher than 120km.... been up to 130km....
But on a few rides the lads reckon that I have gone even higher...

Ahem... 140kmh 'not so innocent' crashe ;D

Nice looking bikes *drool* chrommmeeeee ;) . I almost bought a new one instead of my zxr!

sunhuntin
15th June 2005, 01:09
ok, apologies to the local virago riders [and other jap v-twins :niceone: ] i worded that wrong. :weird:

am going to stick with what ive got for now...will stick out the learner stage for the required time, then kick up to my restricted, just to get rid of the l-plate.

i know its never gonna happen, the harley for $3000...im prepared to go as high as needed to get the one bike my heart is set on...a 1965 panhead, 2 owners. my old man wants $25,000 for her.

cheers :drinkup:

Ixion
15th June 2005, 01:29

I guess that's pretty much the attitude of the sports-bike world to the Buell. "It's not a REAL sports bike. "

Bonez
15th June 2005, 03:55
Yep - agree with this. In my limited experience stay away form GN's if you want a bike that you can ride long trips on.Believe it or not people in fact do long trips on GNs. As for the comments here about rusting etc, I've seen brand new Triumphs at ANZA with rust showing on them :weird:

gamgee
15th June 2005, 17:03
i can't believe this i got negative rep for recommending a suzuki bandit (gsf250) over a gn250

Ixion
15th June 2005, 17:11
i can't believe this i got negative rep for recommending a suzuki bandit (gsf250) over a gn250

?? That's a bit rough. Any reason given ?

gamgee
15th June 2005, 19:26
nope no reason at all, doesn't worry me too much, maybe they clicked the wrong button by accident :niceone:

Dafe
15th June 2005, 22:37
You could always look at riding with a safety viewpoint too.
In most hairy situations there is some non-clued up cagedriver, I feel alot safer knowing I have a bike that can zip me past a situation should I need it. Also, If I come across rediculous drivers then I overtake sooner than later, It's never good following eratic or poor drivers.
To avoid both the above situations you need a bike that will respond and has enough go to deliver your requirements.
A GN250 has no balls and in my opinion leaves you facing more elements of risk.
Hope this inspires you to buy a nice new 2005 Aprilia 250. Convince your mum, it's just about the safety factor!!! :yeah:

Seriously though, How about a nice responsive 4-stroke 400? A Honda VFR400NC30 to be precise.

Gremlin
15th June 2005, 23:34
riding a ZZR, it apparently has more get up and go, but it seems to take a while. Even dropping a gear doesn't always help. I can't imagine how bad a gn250 would be...

Dafe, you make a good point about passing slower or erractic drivers, I do that, even being a learner, because I see it as being safer than sitting behind them.

sunhuntin
16th June 2005, 20:12
well, i made the black bitch drag her ass up durie hill today. went out to the cemetary to see tania :weep: and then into town. stalled her twice trying to take off too fast and letting the clutch out too soon [bugger] went along somme pde, over the town bridge. the road behind and in front of me was free, so flicked the blinker on and ran her up one of the 3 steepest hills in town. kept her roughly at the speed limit the whole way up.

moving into a flat up durie hill, so needed to make sure i could get her up and down safely. got to the top, cruised past my old house and thought "fuck, no i gotta get her down again..." kept her 35 the whole way down, lol.

now all i need is my exemption for night riding for work, and im good to go :Punk:

gamgee
16th June 2005, 20:49
or you could just ride sensibly and you won't get pulled over - like me...

Vicious Victim
16th June 2005, 22:00
GN 250 'z are ok but if you want a great learner biker you wont to be getting one of the gsx250 03 + great bikes valued at 6999. or got one for 6000ono.
Love it and hate to see it go but I just think of my gsx 650 or that few hunder cc more .

Vicious Victim
16th June 2005, 22:01
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wet.............. :niceone:

sunhuntin
17th June 2005, 13:12
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wet.............. :niceone:

whos wet? :whistle:

rfc85
28th June 2005, 06:38
ok, so got told today mum was thinking of getting me one of the new gn's [im on an 86 right now] i read a thread a while back about a new one that rusted with a couple months.

anyone had any experience with the new ones who can tell me if i was an idiot to turn the offer down?

I got one 4 months ago and its hanging in there done 4000ks without a hicup-but yes they do use oil and you need to keep an eye on it good learners bike I have already got a buyer for mine when my year is up.

zeRax
28th June 2005, 22:10
mine doesnt seem to drink alot of oil at all :0
tis 91 gn250~

crankin the K's on it, think ill keep it as a workhorse, commuter thing, then again, i'd sell it if it ment that extra $ to get a 400 or 600, who really gets stopped by cops in south island anyway? not in this town buddy! :>

LED
30th June 2005, 18:57
I guess that's pretty much the attitude of the sports-bike world to the Buell. "It's not a REAL sports bike. "

Thats exactly right fella - it's NOT!!

FROSTY
30th June 2005, 19:15
From what I've seen of the new GNU its basicly the same bike.
One thing I would do though is go right over the bike from end to end checking and tightening just about everything. That includes EVERY electrical connection and ALL nuts and bolts.
In my opinion the problem is that the after assembily checks arent done like they were in japan.
As for oil burning--Yep Dump the oil and filter and put new quality Mineral oil in and rememember its a new bike and needs running in.
They aint like the new oil/water colled bikes and do need a bit of wearing in

ducatilover
21st July 2005, 22:05
i just got a 2004 gn with 1551kms a week ago and it is asguttless as f!#k. my advice is dont touch one and ive only had mine 4 a week. they go really well, but then you wake up. :weird:

Jay widda 150
22nd July 2005, 11:46
terrible. stay away from them!!!! i worked for a bike shop for a short time and in that time people were coming in with engine problems. parts are hard to get coz their made in china now. :oi-grr: for that reason the parts are of poorer quality. and we had a chrome mudguard loose almost al of the chrome coating. :weird:

say away :no:

froggyfrenchman
7th August 2005, 18:53
Take the new gn. Mad nt 2. fuck all dif between ur 86 and the new 1s, except sale price when you upgrade! $3000 can get a real nice 400 or 600!!!

sunhuntin
9th August 2005, 13:52
this thread is still goin, lol. forgot about it.

am staying with my lil girl for now...i trust her and know her moods, lol. she doesnt seem to really go through oil...dad reckons every 6 months, but i get him to check it every few weeks.

SARGE
9th August 2005, 15:05

im actually gonna grab one myself as a commuter cuz i hate putting the k's on my FJ ( hyperactive carbs dont like 20 kph down the NW)
set of flat bars and some rubber with some rollover...
sweet! :Punk:

GN1NiteStnd
24th August 2005, 09:44
Yeah if it was me, id pass up the offer as well. Id wait till i needed a upgrade then id get a 400 or a 500 for the same price as a new gn. You can get some pretty nice ones out there :ride: !