PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Harley

Angry Puppy
12th June 2005, 09:26
Hi Guys

I'm looking at importing a 2004 V-Rod and was just wondering if any of you have had experience importing Harleys. Anyone know who I'd need to talk to to get a Certificate of Compliance for the brakes? Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

FB

sAsLEX
12th June 2005, 10:33
Hi Guys

I'm looking at importing a 2004 V-Rod and was just wondering if any of you have had experience importing Harleys. Anyone know who I'd need to talk to to get a Certificate of Compliance for the brakes? Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

FB

Guessing Lou at AMPs since he sells the things?

zadok
12th June 2005, 10:37
Harley! Why would ya!? :weird:
Take two panadol and lie down. You should get over it. :rofl:

Angry Puppy
12th June 2005, 11:36
Yeah, kinda figured it would AMPS, but I've heard some main-dealers make things difficult for the little guys that way. Just wondering if anyone had experiences of getting the paperwork.

onearmedbandit
12th June 2005, 11:59
If its the same as importing a car that needs a cert of compliance, you can only get them from the distrubitor. Hence the problems that anyone will face trying to get an imported Ferrari rego'ed, as CCS don't want to give them up. I can understand their position as well, dealing in vehicles of that expense and maintaining the relationship you have to build with the client, you would want to show you're protecting their interests (and investments) by not allowing someone to import a similar car to the one you just sold them for half the money.

Jackrat
18th June 2005, 11:03
Back when AMPS were Shaft,they were the people you had to talk to.
They were also not very helpfull."barstads"
Same as now I reckon.

NZred
23rd July 2005, 11:43
Fazer Bloke,..
Did you get your harley yet?
Do you still want one.. ex LA.

Lou Girardin
25th July 2005, 13:02
I'll try to be as unhelpful as possible.
Contact Gregg Gardiner in the Service Dept at AMPS 300 7500 for VIN info.. Perhaps also check with LTNZ.

andy1
26th July 2005, 07:18
i just drove off 2 V-Rods off a car ship from Japan this morning, nice bikes.
Cost around $400 for motorbike to ship...
i know a guy u can call for shipping..

skidz
26th July 2005, 10:19
That's the problem with the market these days! there are getting too many imports in the country and make it harder to retain a good price for our bikes.

Lou Girardin
26th July 2005, 10:43
That's the problem with the market these days! there are getting too many imports in the country and make it harder to retain a good price for our bikes.

Anyone mention Aprilia?

HenryDorsetCase
26th July 2005, 13:28
Has anyone shipped anything other than from the West Coast?

I like a bike on ebay, but am reluctant to bid because its in Michigan.. how the hell do I get it here? (to Christchurch...)

anyone want to buy an SV650?

NZred
26th July 2005, 21:55
Be a little careful about bikes on EBay,.. there are some scams out there,.. you pay but the bike never arrives. .. the warnings come from within USA.

HenryDorsetCase
27th July 2005, 18:42
Thanks for the warning. I am being as careful as I can be... and its $3k US (with 2 days to go) so while I would miss the money i havent bet the farm on it. Plus I have had a bit of correspondence with the guy, and he seems straightforward.

The bugger is shipping, and the Co's I have emailed in the US seem to be jerks... havent gotten back to me.

NZred
27th July 2005, 21:08
If you can get the bike delivered to California, Orange County LA,.. it can be shipped quite easily.
Contact Chucks Restoration, west Auckland, 09 8321955.
Share the containers with cars and resto parts.

gav
28th July 2005, 20:18
A V-Rod huh? How about one of these?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Racing/vrxse_destroyer.jsp?HDCWPSession=Cnhn2ZbyPwPfncXYQ JxhksDphypWf6XJqLgCv2pCHywyWpnpVfXn!-393889178!-1931940399&bmLocale=en_US

gav
28th July 2005, 22:49
Oh, these guys might be able to help, they have NZ offices too!!
http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com/index.html

Spaz
29th July 2005, 20:57
speak to Kerry at Motohaus, he has a vrod he just complied sitting on the sho floor. I think he may be able to help you in the importing a vrod department.

toybox99615
6th August 2005, 16:08
If you need to ship a bike from anyplace in the US to anouther place in the US you can use Allied van lines. The are the HOG supported shipper for HOG events. www.funtransport.com. I've used them a few times and thier service is always excellent.

The major problem is not across the US it getting a bike shipped from the US to NZ. I've spent the last five months and basicaly gotten no place. I've got one shipper who will be bringing a bike to NZ but it only worked out becasue I going to a HOG tour and there are 10 plus bikes being shipped at one time.

NZred
6th August 2005, 18:02
I have just shipped a Harley out of LA to NZ. I prepared and put it onto a patel myself. Get a valuation in USA.(easy stuff)
Not a worry,.. it was in the container by July 1, (It had a small delay due to July 4th. in USA.)
Here in NZ July 25th., MAF cleared July 30th., picked up August 5th. and registered today August 6th. All totally legal and no drama's.
Duty and tax GST on (the value of the bike plus shipping cost $NZ), clearance fees and handling agents fees.
Certification/compiance $150.00,.. NZ Rego $311.00.

In truth it did not need to be on the patel but it just saved any damage.

NOW,.. when is summer gunna be here ??? :ride:

dex
31st August 2005, 22:55
I can help with shipping. Picked up from almost any driveway, anywhere in the USA, crated or uncrated. We prefer to import customs/rare bikes only.

Heres some details. All prices are in US dollars (Bloody exchange rate)

a) Oceanfreight
1) Oceanfreight :
(LAX/SFO) to Port (Auckland) : $1195.00
(NYC/CHS) to Port (Auckland) : $1295.00
2) Pickup (if needed) : $695.00 (Price may vary by location)
3) Insurance (if needed) : $.70/$100 (restrictions apply)
4) If uncrated add : $425.00

b) Air
1) LAX or NYC : $2395.00
2) Pickup(if needed) : $595.00
3) Insurance (if needed) : $.70/$100 (restrictions apply)
4) If uncrated add : $325.00

Please note for US Customs release, you will need :

1) original title is needed (If liens/loans -- you must have a bank release)
2) Original Bill of Sale -- IF BEING SOLD ONLY
3) Gas Must be drained // Battery disconnected and ends taped
4) all Customs/taxes/duty/etc.... will be payable overseas. You can try to clear it through local customs here or we could recommend an agent.

Here's how it works:

1) When the bike is ready we will need :
a) pickup address and Telephone
b) shippers address if different and telephone
c) Ship to address and Telephone
d) Year/Make/Model /Value
e) Do you want insurance?

3) We will make a set of documents and courier them to the shipper for signature.
Shipper MUST RETURN ORIGINAL TITLE/BILL OF SALE/KEYS/SECURITY FORMS to us

4) Our truckmen will pickup the bike and transport it to airport/port.

5) Original documents, keys and bike will be sent to US Homeland Security for export release and approval.

6) When the release is made, the bike will be exported and the original documents couriered to buyer.

email me for more info - tim@smarttalk.co.nz

Waylander
31st August 2005, 23:58
MAKE SURE THE SHIPPING COMPANY WRITE DOWN THE CORRECT VIN# AT EVERY SHIPPING JUNTION AND MAKE SURE IT GETS A BORDER CHECK AT THE PORT HERE!!! Otherwise it could take you up to 6 months to fix.

dex
1st September 2005, 09:41
As Waylander has just pointed out, there are other considerations to sort out before you ship it like finding out whether the bike has an FMVSS plate, and if not, getting a statement of compliance etc, but we will make sure all this is done before shipping.

Cheers!!!

Waylander
1st September 2005, 10:18
Also make sure they coat the entire thing with shipping oil or when it gets down here it will imediately start to rust.

White trash
1st September 2005, 16:31
A V-Rod huh? How about one of these?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Racing/vrxse_destroyer.jsp?HDCWPSession=Cnhn2ZbyPwPfncXYQ JxhksDphypWf6XJqLgCv2pCHywyWpnpVfXn!-393889178!-1931940399&bmLocale=en_US

Mmmmmm, yes please!

Waylander: You wont have to worry about a V-rod rusting. The wheels may oxidise a bit but other than that, she'll be good.

You can gett bloody cheap V-Rods outta Japan right now too.

Waylander
1st September 2005, 16:32
Mmmmmm, yes please!

Waylander: You wont have to worry about a V-rod rusting. The wheels may oxidise a bit but other than that, she'll be good.

You can gett bloody cheap V-Rods outta Japan right now too.
Best to get it done anyway. Safe not sorry. Wish I would of had it done when I shipped my bike.:oi-grr:

White trash
1st September 2005, 16:37
Best to get it done anyway. Safe not sorry. Wish I would of had it done when I shipped my bike.:oi-grr:

There's no steel on the V-Rod other than the frame. And that's got the toughest fucken paint I've ever seen on a bike.

Wheels are a bitch to keep looking good though if they get a little coroded.

How bad did the Virago get?

Waylander
1st September 2005, 16:43
There's no steel on the V-Rod other than the frame. And that's got the toughest fucken paint I've ever seen on a bike.

How bad did the Virago get?
Header pipes are nasty as but that's mosty age showing. Some of the frame and the bars my highway pegs hang off of have rust in the joints and places where there are screws. Rear shocks are a bit rusted.

Nothing a good solid day of pollishing wont cure but hard to keep it clean constantly.

RDJ
2nd September 2005, 23:47

That's for sure. Reactor wheels are the solution...

SEAGULL
4th September 2005, 13:48
Hey Fazer, where did you get the great Avatar, she's kinda hot. I can't even create a basic one, got any tits, sorry, I mean tips.

FlangMasterJ
5th September 2005, 20:24
Hog's are a pretty straight forward affair. They attach them to the end of a rope which hangs off the side of the ship. When the ship pulls into port they drop the thing over the side thus stopping the big freighter floating away. :motu:

Virago
5th September 2005, 21:36
Header pipes are nasty as but that's mosty age showing. Some of the frame and the bars my highway pegs hang off of have rust in the joints and places where there are screws. Rear shocks are a bit rusted.

Nothing a good solid day of pollishing wont cure but hard to keep it clean constantly.
Sound like all the normal rust spots for a Virago - mine has it in all the same places. Time for some pre-season polishing.......

scumdog
5th September 2005, 22:07
Sound like all the normal rust spots for a Virago - mine has it in all the same places. Time for some pre-season polishing.......

Very good for the soul this pre-season polishing stuff, eases tension and calms the mind while blackening the fingers...

RDJ
6th September 2005, 00:01
Hog's are a pretty straight forward affair. They attach them to the end of a rope which hangs off the side of the ship. When the ship pulls into port they drop the thing over the side thus stopping the big freighter floating away. :motu:

Oh boy. The sheer, scintillating wit. Please, tell another one. :zzzz:

Ixion
6th September 2005, 00:11
Very good for the soul this pre-season polishing stuff, eases tension and calms the mind while blackening the fingers...

Season ? what is this season of which you speak?

And if the good Lord had meant bikes to be clean, He would not have invented dirt and mud. And would have made grease and oil shiney.

Virago
6th September 2005, 08:26
It is simply thus - while those in the north ride around in the same weather conditions all year (ie rain), we in the south have 6 months of glorious sunshine to look forward to.

FlangMasterJ
6th September 2005, 08:47
Oh boy. The sheer, scintillating wit. Please, tell another one. :zzzz:

Settle petal.

scumdog
6th September 2005, 17:34

And if the good Lord had meant bikes to be clean, He would not have invented dirt and mud. And would have made grease and oil shiney.

And did the good Lord not make Turtle-wax, Autosol and tyre dressing too??

So that our raging tormented soul can be placated by the act of cleaning and polishing our scoots?

YES!!!!

He also invented tar seal, belt drives and garden hoses to assist in the cleanliness of said scoots. :niceone:

Ixion
6th September 2005, 17:50
It is simply thus - while those in the north ride around in the same weather conditions all year (ie rain), we in the south have 6 months of glorious sunshine to look forward to.

This is ture. But in summer the rain gets slightly drier and warmer

Gibbo13p
4th June 2012, 00:38

like holden motors then.....

St_Gabriel
4th June 2012, 13:04
like holden motors then.....

Thread Necromancy FTW

skinman
4th June 2012, 17:32
thread dredge much

this one started in 05, almost prehistoric

wysper
5th June 2012, 10:10
not only that the attachment is broken....