PDA

View Full Version : Hire a bike to do learners? (Dunedin)

darrennz
20th November 2010, 19:34
hi guys,

we live in Dunedin and my wife wants to do her learners licence, does anyone know where we could hire a bike to do this?

we are hoping the law will change as her hearts set on buying a 650 boni .

superman
20th November 2010, 19:43
hi guys,

we live in Dunedin and my wife wants to do her learners licence, does anyone know where we could hire a bike to do this?

Learners license requires no bike. Go to an approved place to get your Basic Handling Skills Certificate (they usually let you borrow bikes/helmets within the cost of being there anyway) and then you go into your local AA/VTNZ/NZTA Approved place and sit the theory test.

Easy as and basic, will set you back a bit thanks to the awesome beauracracy of the 21st century and you'll feel like your money has been well spent.

Note: if your not very up to it with give way rules and motorbike laws I'd get a road code. I myself just went into the local library and glanced through one before doing my learners, though I sat the car learners just 3 years ago and the questions are really similar.

Virago
20th November 2010, 19:44
Hi there and welcome to KB.

I think the only option for this is to try the bike shops. Go and see Rick at MCR would be the best bet.

As far as I know, any potential law change will be some time away. What's she going to ride in the meantime? Why do her BHC and Learners if she then can't ride?

Gibbo89
20th November 2010, 23:10
Hi there and welcome to KB.

I think the only option for this is to try the bike shops. Go and see Rick at MCR would be the best bet.

As far as I know, any potential law change will be some time away. What's she going to ride in the meantime? Why do her BHC and Learners if she then can't ride?

Dude, don't be so sensible! :blink:

darrennz
21st November 2010, 17:01
Anyone know when the new law changes come into place i dont wanna buy a 250 if they are going to change soon anyone help

tigertim20
21st November 2010, 17:01
hi guys,

I will agree with Virago here, i have dealt with rick and mcr many times, and have always found them to be very helpful, informative and accommodating.
If she has never ridden anything before at all though, I would suggest trying to borrow and old, crappy 4 stroke dirtbike for half a day, and teah her on that, on the nice, soft dirt, where nothing breaks if (when) she drops it :)

wait till she has an hour or two in the saddle before doing the bhs!

oh, and keep us updated with what she gets, like Virago said, it will be a long time yet before any change actually comes in for learner legal bikes, in the meantime, there really is no shortage on options!

doko
21st November 2010, 20:11
I think the hole learners motorbike license is silly. You can ride a 50cc on learners car. If you can ride a 50cc you can ride a 250cc.

They should just have learners car and motorbike together. The fine isn't that bad compared to all the costs of licensing. New Zealands licensing system is silly it should be more like Twain for bikes.

sil3nt
22nd November 2010, 17:57
Anyone know when the new law changes come into place i dont wanna buy a 250 if they are going to change soon anyone help2012 if there is some miracle but nobody really knows.

BrianST1300
23rd November 2010, 12:03
Hey, there is a place in Dunedin that hires out bikes (Suzuki 250 and 650 Vstrom and Honda 650). Rates are 150 and 200 per day for one day, cheaper for longer hire.

It's called Back Roads Bikes. Ph 466 7623 Address: 3 Fairfax st, Roslyn.

I hired a Suzuki Vstrom to practice riding again after a long break before picking up my Honda St1300- much to my surprise the ST is a lot easier to ride than the Vstrom (lower centre of gravity etc).:yes:

So for your wife I'd recommend the 250.

Cheers.