PDA

View Full Version : So what is really behind these ideas?

phill-k
23rd November 2010, 19:30
Found this on another bike forum, appears we are not the only ones about to be subjected to Bike only educational stops.
What really is behind the reasoning/

http://usridernews.com/2010/10/29/national-highway-traffic-safety-administration-thumbs-nose-at-congress-and-discriminates-against-motorcycles/

kb_SF1
23rd November 2010, 19:37
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

twinbruva
23rd November 2010, 19:40

That and just generally getting in our faces. The idea is that the longer they do that the more bikers will give up and buy Honda Jazz's so as to fit the mould.

Higher fees will arrive soon, then more roadside stops etc etc.....ad infinitum.

rastuscat
23rd November 2010, 20:20

You've lost me...................how is stopping someone for a 5 minute chat about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ??

yachtie10
23rd November 2010, 20:40
You've lost me...................how is stopping someone for a 5 minute chat about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ??

are you serious
maybe cynical but
weve put up the registration fees so lets check bikes to see if they have paid (and lets call it a saftey stop)

And just because your not in the loop doesnt mean it did not cross TPTB minds

Katman
23rd November 2010, 20:44
That and just generally getting in our faces. The idea is that the longer they do that the more bikers will give up and buy Honda Jazz's so as to fit the mould.

Higher fees will arrive soon, then more roadside stops etc etc.....ad infinitum.

That's precisely it.

But though we can't do anything about the checkpoints we can do plenty to stop drawing attention to ourselves.

munster
23rd November 2010, 20:59
Speaking of roaduser groups that need targeting, I had a fair bit of tripping up and down the motorway today in the work ute (damn trains are all over the place), saw plenty of polite splitting bikers and got violently cut off by 3 trucks.

I am now utterly convinced after 10 years of driving Auckland's motorways nearly everyday that there are 3 particular types of drivers to look out for

1. German cars - utter wankers the lot of them
2. truck drivers - not all of them, but certainly some of them. More than once I have been past the rear end of a trailer when they've given one flash of the indicator and pulled to the right, forcing me onto the grass median. Luckily this has not happened when I've been on the bike
3. Toyota Hiace vans - and as much as I hate to stereotype, this deserves it. Cheap immigrant labourers (plasters / painters especially), utterly useless and have no idea what that stalk to the right of the steering wheel is for

When these groups get targeted for their obscene behaviour, then I won't mind being targeted for mine (but of course I'm an angel and ride like a Nana anyway).

twinbruva
24th November 2010, 05:50
That's precisely it.

But though we can't do anything about the checkpoints we can do plenty to stop drawing attention to ourselves.

For sure, and not crashing all the time would be a good start. I know of two guys who have tipped up recently and on both occasions it was down to going too fast for a particular circumstance. One got off with bumps and bruises (overshot a corner I had gone around without difficulty not a minute earlier) but another has a buggered leg and ankle. That's gonna cost heaps to fix.

twinbruva
24th November 2010, 05:51

They are called 'fishing exercises', whereby they stop you in the name of safety and go looking for something to charge you hard cash for. Safety my arse.

twinbruva
24th November 2010, 05:52
Speaking of roaduser groups that need targeting, I had a fair bit of tripping up and down the motorway today in the work ute (damn trains are all over the place), saw plenty of polite splitting bikers and got violently cut off by 3 trucks.

I am now utterly convinced after 10 years of driving Auckland's motorways nearly everyday that there are 3 particular types of drivers to look out for

2. truck drivers - not all of them, but certainly some of them. More than once I have been past the rear end of a trailer when they've given one flash of the indicator and pulled to the right, forcing me onto the grass median. Luckily this has not happened when I've been on the bike
3. Toyota Hiace vans - and as much as I hate to stereotype, this deserves it. Cheap immigrant labourers (plasters / painters especially), utterly useless and have no idea what that stalk to the right of the steering wheel is for

When these groups get targeted for their obscene behaviour, then I won't mind being targeted for mine (but of course I'm an angel and ride like a Nana anyway).

I did it for twenty..........agree with your points. To get away from it all I left town. It's easy.

rastuscat
24th November 2010, 09:55
My experience this morning.

Stopped a rider on a gixxer for riding in a cycle lane in a stupid place. He had no gloves on. When I asked why, he told me it was too warm. I told him to tell that to the surgeon stitching his flesh back onto his hands.

Stopped a bloke on a gorgeous YZF something. Big 1000cc thing. Personalised plate, all the fruit. Riding (lane splitting) in heavy city 60 km/h traffic wearing shorts (Stubbies, actually) work boots, t-shirt and no gloves. Luckily he had his moto-x helmet on though, so I guess he'll be okay if he crashes.

Yeah, stops are all about revenue collecting.

Scuba_Steve
24th November 2010, 10:26

I have a completely different list to that...

smaller trucks I sometimes have issues with the bigger ones are usually curious I find, but then almost no truckie I know likes Auck so maybee they're just desperate to get out? Also remember the big trucks have big blind spots & only their side mirrors to see behind them.

alot of Merc drivers I'd agree with they tend to be old people, lawyers & judges (the worst drivers on our roads by profession), but I wouldn't say "all German cars"

yes alot of "labourers" are bad their usually on a mission to get home and its a company vehicle.

Holden drivers are bad, they would have to be worst by brand name. As the saying goes "those who drive Holden, can't!"

People movers are among the worst drivers on our roads (but they're "safe" cause they tend to stick under the speed limit right? :facepalm:).

And I aint no fan of "shinys" or "Remuera tractors" alot of them (not all) need to learn what mirrors are, big vehicles DO NOT have right-of-way, & generally just how to drive.

scumdog
24th November 2010, 10:26
They are called 'fishing exercises', whereby they stop you in the name of safety and go looking for something to charge you hard cash for. Safety my arse.

Boo fucking hoo!:violin:

I have bigger things to worry about than this when riding - and if I DO get stopped they won't get on $ out of me.:yes:

mashman
24th November 2010, 10:33
Perhaps it's a getting to know the local riders, the clothing they wear and the attitude that's associated with the licence plate (for what reasons one can only guess at :shifty:)... that and a revenue gathering exercise too :shifty:...

MSTRS
24th November 2010, 10:44

Stopped a rider on a gixxer for riding in a cycle lane in a stupid place. He had no gloves on. When I asked why, he told me it was too warm. I told him to tell that to the surgeon stitching his flesh back onto his hands.

Stopped a bloke on a gorgeous YZF something. Big 1000cc thing. Personalised plate, all the fruit. Riding (lane splitting) in heavy city 60 km/h traffic wearing shorts (Stubbies, actually) work boots, t-shirt and no gloves. Luckily he had his moto-x helmet on though, so I guess he'll be okay if he crashes.

What? You stopped them because they were breaking some law and you didn't ticket them? You training for Biker's Choice in the Top Cop Awards this year?

StoneY
24th November 2010, 10:51
are you serious
maybe cynical but
weve put up the registration fees so lets check bikes to see if they have paid (and lets call it a saftey stop)

And just because your not in the loop doesnt mean it did not cross TPTB minds

I have 3 bikes, all over 601cc's
Two are now out of rego, deliberately at this point of time

Both have been stopped for my own actions while out of rego
Neither has been ticketed for this lack of a current rego, nor was I issued fines at all the times I was stopped

maybe...just maybe...this campaign theyre on is NOT revenue driven, but a (misbegotten maybe) attempt to improve our road behaviour?

Its still discriminatory, but I cant see any link to revenue when the coppers are behaving like theyre blind while inspecting my bikes rego/wof status
All 3 times, theyve confirmed my bikes got a WOF, and ignored my seriously expired registrations

Patrick
24th November 2010, 10:58

But if you have paid your registration, as one should, so they can use the roads, then what...?

NO revenue?

Lame....

scumdog
24th November 2010, 11:03
Sooo....who HAS been stopped during this campaign?

And who has been fined for expired rego?

Or is this just another KB 'the sky is falling' thread??:blink:

Patrick
24th November 2010, 11:04
I have 3 bikes, all over 601cc's
Two are now out of rego, deliberately at this point of time

Both have been stopped for my own actions while out of rego
Neither has been ticketed for this lack of a current rego, nor was I issued fines at all the times I was stopped

maybe...just maybe...this campaign theyre on is NOT revenue driven, but a (misbegotten maybe) attempt to improve our road behaviour?

Its still discriminatory, but I cant see any link to revenue when the coppers are behaving like theyre blind while inspecting my bikes rego/wof status
All 3 times, theyve confirmed my bikes got a WOF, and ignored my seriously expired registrations

NOw this is just outright ridiculous... its all about revenue... get on the party line right now, fella, or you'll be in big trouble...

StoneY
24th November 2010, 11:13
NOw this is just outright ridiculous... its all about revenue... get on the party line right now, fella, or you'll be in big trouble...

yes sir occifer sir.......10-4 copy that, roger and out
:-)

hey seeing as I have ya on the thread pat, the ticket i did get for 114kms in a 100 zone, the chap mis spelt my surname and got my rego number wrong, does that make it un enforcable?
The only detail he got right was my license number........

If so, how do I get it written off?

BMWST?
24th November 2010, 12:11
i got a serious lecture about not having my headlight on (only had parking light on)I sometimes turn the headlight off once i get on the motorway(marginal battery/charging system)

Waxxa
24th November 2010, 14:52

Until it becomes LAW to ride with all the safety gear on at all times, there will be riders who don't. Dont lecture us on riding gear!!!

If the bike has a fault, no rego or wof...fair enough.

When you have these Seikhs who are exempt from wearing helmets and a biker gets a lecture for no gloves...where is the priority!!

Having our ACC levies and a surgeon to work on these guys will take more resource and costs repairing someones split head than having a skin graft on a hand.

twinbruva
25th November 2010, 05:43
and if I DO get stopped they won't get on $ out of me.:yes:

Well, we can only assume that having connections can save you money........eh?

Pixie
25th November 2010, 08:02

Weeeell,If you don't have your bike regoed ACC,who are driving these "educational" initiatives,won't have got their blood money

Pixie
25th November 2010, 08:10

So what did you $charge$ him with? Bad dress sense?

Last time I looked it was legal in this country to ride in a helmet and speedos.
Until NZ becomes a true police state (and it's not far away) you'll have to ask your friendly parliamentary representative to introduce a bill to change the law.

And before all the ATTGATters have apoplexy - two things : it has been shown that,in many cases, riders who are not wearing optimum safety protection ride in a safer manner.
What about all the skiers and boarders and rugby morons etc who don't have to go through humiliating inspections during their activities.( Vere are ze papers,bikie sweinhundt)

sinfull
25th November 2010, 08:20
Last time I looked it was legal in this country to ride in a helmet and speedos.

Then perhaps it should be law that you can't ride in speedos and jandalls huh
Who'd do that ? I mean FFS, do the sheep in this country need to be flogged before they realise losing skin hurts ? Not to mention the cost to the country here of course, i'd hate to bring that arguement into this thread !

MSTRS
25th November 2010, 08:34
And before all the ATTGATters have apoplexy - two things : it has been shown that,in many cases, riders who are not wearing optimum safety protection ride in a safer manner.

And so do the hi-viz brigade, as a rule too...
What's your point?

As long as it's not law, some will, some won't.

But if the rules changed (sliding scale of cover dependent on gear, or ACC goes private) - watch the bareskin brigade cover up...

phill-k
25th November 2010, 09:58
A couple of comments to some of the posts here:

Riding without safety gear is a choice we have in NZ, I'm not into rules and regulations, however as we are not required to carry insurance cover on an individual basis to cover the cost of our actions, perhaps its a little irresponsible to expect others to pick up the cost for what many see as stupidity, I'm sure any serving Police Officer who has attended the results of a serious motorcycle accident tires quickly of seeing what they have a right to believe is stupidity.

I am curious that this is not only happening in NZ but also in America at present, what has been the motivation, do the people who make these decisions see something on the internet and just go oh that's a good idea or has there been some research behind this new approach. The boys in blue on our site that have responded to this, can I ask you for your opinions on what this may achieve.

scumdog
25th November 2010, 17:03
Well, we can only assume that having connections can save you money........eh?

Who is this 'we'?

And 'assume' all YOU want, never used my 'connections' - and no, not everybody in NZ knows who I am/what I do.

But nice try.....

sinfull
25th November 2010, 18:58
And 'assume' all YOU want, never used my 'connections' - .

Any favours you might want to trade ???

MSTRS
26th November 2010, 07:40
. - and no, not everybody in NZ knows who I am/what I do.

Sure about that? I think the whole country saw a certain photo of 'someone waving their truncheon'...

StoneY
26th November 2010, 09:09
Sooo....who HAS been stopped during this campaign?

Me!

Not Me!

Or is this just another KB 'the sky is falling' thread??:blink:

Gets my vote ....

twinbruva
26th November 2010, 22:15
Sure about that? I think the whole country saw a certain photo of 'someone waving their truncheon'...

...waving their..........oh crap, another waving thread.

twinbruva
26th November 2010, 22:16
:

Not me, come and get me, nyah, nyah........

Patrick
29th November 2010, 13:13
yes sir occifer sir.......10-4 copy that, roger and out

hey seeing as I have ya on the thread pat, the ticket i did get for 114kms in a 100 zone, the chap mis spelt my surname and got my rego number wrong, does that make it un enforcable?
The only detail he got right was my license number........

If so, how do I get it written off?

Write in and ask - 80 good reasons to give it a go...

Point out the errors - errors do not nullify the ticket... but if you don't ask, then you will not get....:innocent:

Juzz976
29th November 2010, 14:06
I do at least 20,000 km year never get stopped unless doing something I shouldn't.

I don't see any problem, running low on demerits? oh well ride sensibly for a while wear appropriate gear.

Getting paranoid? lay off the crack/pot.

Buy some tissues :cry:

rastuscat
3rd December 2010, 22:03
What? You stopped them because they were breaking some law and you didn't ticket them? You training for Biker's Choice in the Top Cop Awards this year?

I suck at writing tickets. I've only had 22 years of doing it, and have never managed to do it without thinking.

Ah well, maybe after another few years I'll crack the skill.

Berries
3rd December 2010, 23:36
Ah well, maybe after another few years I'll crack the skull.
Fixed it for you.

StoneY
4th December 2010, 06:59
Write in and ask - 80 good reasons to give it a go...

Point out the errors - errors do not nullify the ticket... but if you don't ask, then you will not get....:innocent:

Heheh top it off the mung bean wrote offense date as 07/10/11
Huh?
Wow I can TIME travel!

MSTRS
4th December 2010, 07:41
Wow I can TIME travel!

Been done before - nothing special - 88mph and a lightning strike....

rastuscat
4th December 2010, 14:09
Fixed it for you.

You da Berries :) :)

Max Preload
8th December 2010, 13:04
That's precisely it.

But though we can't do anything about the checkpoints we can do plenty to stop drawing attention to ourselves.I bet the German Jews wish they'd thought of that! "If we just keep our heads down, the Nazis won't bother us". Oh, wait! That's what they did! Remind me again how that worked out for them?

avgas
8th December 2010, 13:12
Been done before - nothing special - 88mph and a lightning strike....
Just because you can't remember 3 days does not mean they did not happen in hospital.

Scuba_Steve
8th December 2010, 13:13
I bet the German Jews wish they'd thought of that! "If we just keep our heads down, the Nazis won't bother us". Oh, wait! That's what they did! Remind me again how that worked out for them?

worked out well didn't it? some of them even got to go to "holiday camps" right???

spacemonkey
8th December 2010, 14:19
Heheh top it off the mung bean wrote offense date as 07/10/11
Huh?
Wow I can TIME travel!

Well considering said mung bean pulled a u turn on a blind corner in front of myself and another rider to go after you on a revenue hunt, I suspect he wasn't the sharpest kid in the IHC facility the day the recruiter came by........