PDA

View Full Version : Local Rider Review FZ8-N

Waikato Yamaha
25th November 2010, 07:46
The thing which strikes you about the FZ8 is its universal appeal. Upon collecting it, I couldn’t decide who to go and visit to kick its tyres; everyone I know would like something about it.
So I chose Larry. He’s a ‘been there, done that’ racer, who has recently gotten back into bikes by purchasing a trials bike. He is also a fussy, opinionated man who is notoriously difficult to please; and facts won’t sway his decision once he has made up his mind about something. Furthermore, when I’d mentioned I was bringing over the FZ8, he said he only likes full-faired bikes. Despite this, almost grudgingly, he liked the FZ8. Sleek looks and ergonomics suitable for a gammy back got his vote.
The tank looks enormous and gives the naked 800 a broad, muscular stance, but to ride it feels slim and comfortable; all that girth sits up front past your knees. The bike is very narrow at the seat, and allows those with stumpy leg syndrome to easily reach the ground with both feet.
What did I think so far? It was forgiving, stable, and easy to adapt to. The GYTR muffler on the demo bike was loud and raspy; almost obnoxiously so. Traffic certainly knew I was coming. When sitting forwards and upright I found the mirrors weren’t in sight and needed a deliberate movement to check, as opposed to a casual glance. Of course this will vary depending on the person, helmet and riding position. The instruments were easily visible, and it’s nice to have a fuel gauge and clock on the dash.
The thing I’d always disliked about the middleweights was the lack of midrange. They feel like a big bike, and they’re OK on the track if you want to thrash them, but for everyday riding you’re always searching for another gear and using the revs to gain any meaningful forward momentum. Being an 800, the FZ8 avoids this problem; there is plenty of bottom end and midrange. Riders stepping up from a smaller category will enjoy this spread of power; it’s easy to roll the power on, without the scare factor of the litre bikes.
Chances are this bike will spend most of its life navigating urban canyons; the daily commute or the modern-day cafe racer. As such, its owner requires a level of street cred; versatility and user-friendliness aren’t often synonymous with good looks or performance. The owner doesn’t desire the austere respect of well-travelled bikers; but the presence it commands amongst the general public. The sort of bike which will cause kids to say “Nice bike, mister”, to prompt a gleam of nostalgia or regret in the eye of a two-wheeled retiree, or a quiet appraisal from the fairer sex. The FZ8 delivers. Maybe they just wanted to see what was making all the racket, but this bike gets attention as you ride through town.
Next up was the pillion test. The FZ8 showed power and poise with extra weight on the back; it was still predictable, and catered for undulations without wallowing. The spread of power was sufficient to give smooth, easy navigation.
Having dropped off the missus, I headed for the back roads. First on the list was Sanatorium Hill; probably the tightest sealed hill climb in the Waikato. The brakes have good feel and predictability, and the agile geometry made this an enjoyable sojourn.
For something a bit more open, the Hill was followed by French Pass; and this is where the loud pipe started to make sense. The obnoxious, ‘round town drone was gone; replaced by the howl of an inline four on a mission from God. I didn’t care if the Auckland constabulary could hear me; it sounded awesome. The top end is quite lively – but still no scare factor. Everything is planted, but you can move around the bike with ease and the wide bars allow you to flick the bike through the curves.
Would I trade my R1 for an FZ8? No. But getting back onto my steed and finding the clip-ons down around my knees was a reminder that there are advantages to an all-rounder. If you want a bike that does it all, and leaves your vertebrae where you left them, the FZ8 is a good choice.

224329224330[