PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Kawasaki W800

Bytor
25th November 2010, 20:46
http://bikerholic.com/2010/11/03/2011-kawasaki-w800-the-latest-installment-in-the-iconic-retro-w-series/

Finally gets FI but Kawasaki NZ want $17.5k for it... and it still has a rear drum brake! Beauty though and like the W650 will be great for customising.

Taz
25th November 2010, 21:15
When you can get a Bonnie for $12995 I can't see the point.

Motu
25th November 2010, 21:55
If you subscribe to bigger must be better,then it must be better.Personally,I'd stick to the 650...but of course haven't ridden the 800.It's still a better Bonnie than the Bonnie.

The Baron
26th November 2010, 06:11
Wow. I want one. I am a bit concerned about the price difference with the Bonnie.

Motu
26th November 2010, 07:49
Quality Vs Budget bike?

AllanB
26th November 2010, 11:19
It is a fine looking kit. Drum brake on the rear is fine - I find they actually offer better 'feel' on the back than a disk. Shame there is not a pair of decent front brakes though, why does retro have to be 'adequate'?

Price - FAIL - way to kill a nice bike Kawasaki NZ. Sure it is probably a lot better than a Bonnie and looks more like a old school Triumph than a new Triumph (still with me?) but over 4k dearer will not win any sales. You can do a lot to a new Bonnie with that type of change (just - how much does a supercharger cost?).

What's cooler - a 'Triumph' or 'Kawasaki' T-shirt?

As a side note - their promo blurb - Holy F batman, what a lot of adman waffle. I'd have saved several pages of spin and just wrote "It's cool"

zeocen
26th November 2010, 14:00
Price - FAIL - way to kill a nice bike Kawasaki NZ.

Seems to be their running theme for 2011. :angry:

NZsarge
26th November 2010, 14:08
Seems to be their running theme for 2011. :angry:

Indeed..... Get used to it... or not. It's gonna be the way it is unfortunately, prices are going up...
I was giving slight consideration to a brand new bike the next time I wanted to change but that's not going to happen at this rate, whatever, glad i'm happy with the my current bike.

zeocen
26th November 2010, 15:49
Indeed..... Get used to it... or not. It's gonna be the way it is unfortunately, prices are going up...
I was giving slight consideration to a brand new bike the next time I wanted to change but that's not going to happen at this rate, whatever, glad i'm happy with the my current bike.

With you on that one, mate. I had the Z1000SX firmly in my sights, until the price came out! Might have to farkle up my VFR800 to "future proof" it a bit for myself instead. :innocent:

AllanB
26th November 2010, 16:03
Pricing is interesting - they all packed a paddy at the start of the global recession when the US $ was low - it has been up at a high for a fair while now and pricing appears to still be rising.

Better to sell 100 bikes at a lower price than 10 at a high one .....

NZsarge
26th November 2010, 16:39
With you on that one, mate. I had the Z1000SX firmly in my sights, until the price came out! Might have to farkle up my VFR800 to "future proof" it a bit for myself instead. :innocent:
You're not the only one with that opinion mate, i'm also of the opinion you'll see more "blinging" than ever before as more people decide to dress up what they have instead of buying new.

Better to sell 100 bikes at a lower price than 10 at a high one .....

You'd think, i've alway thought that, get a good rep for reasonable deals and keep them coming through the doors, high turn over with less margin but repeat business. Often it's taken out of the hands of the importers and dealers regarding new bikes, little ol' NZ doesn't have much power when looking to strike a deal with the factories.

Bonez
26th November 2010, 19:06
Dear Santa.............

Usarka
26th November 2010, 19:27
$10,999 for a new ZX10R in the USA. Interesting math.

The bloke almost convinced me to buy and import it but I told him the left hand drive conversion would cost too much :facepalm:

Motig
28th November 2010, 08:51
I'm guessing (so I could be wrong) a lot of the parts will be the same as the W650 so it seems a hell of a high price. Other wise would love one.

grbaker
1st December 2010, 13:15
With a seat like that Kawa W800 is trying too hard to look like a Bonnie... and if you want a Bonnie, get one.

Although the fork covers remind me of the Kawa Spectre 750 circa 1982, which looks better (less chrome, shaft drive) and a better seat too. Otherwise "Insperational Kawasaki" ... not
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_z750n%20spectre.htm

Motig
4th December 2010, 07:17
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/newsfiles/kawasaki_w800_show_launch.html

Bonez
4th December 2010, 08:30
Some yummy stuff there Motig.

Bonez
9th April 2011, 15:09
Took a W800 for a ride today. Absolutely enjoyed it.

Zadkiel
6th May 2011, 17:00
Wow! Saw one in the a magazine and though nice, but did not expect it to cost more than a Bonne, must be pretty hard to justify.

AllanB
6th May 2011, 17:58
Took a W800 for a ride today. Absolutely enjoyed it.

Excellent review! :woohoo:

I'd love one. Issues (other than not having the coin :facepalm:)

Price

Price compared to a Bonnie

Price on a power-to-bonnie ratio.

So basically a value for buck compared to the Triumph. And I believe that will be it's downfall in NZ. Best to wait until they drop $3k off the price in a years time to move stock.

edwin
18th July 2011, 04:11
Triumph bonny 860cc 67 bhp
Kawasaki w800 800cc ?

Paul in NZ
18th July 2011, 08:04
Triumph's 67 BHP is measured at the crank. Not sure where the W800's is measured but its about 48. The Triumph is heavier by 20kg and longer.

Price wise the comparison is with the T100 not the std bonnie which makes it a bit closer. The W800 looks more like the real deal and the designer was a bit more in tune with what Turner and Wickes were all about.... But the Triumph is a bit faster....

Triumph wins the label wars but Kawasaki built a truer retro

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2011/March/mar1811-video-kawasaki-w800-grouptest/

Edbear
18th July 2011, 09:41
Triumph's 67 BHP is measured at the crank. Not sure where the W800's is measured but its about 48. The Triumph is heavier by 20kg and longer.

Price wise the comparison is with the T100 not the std bonnie which makes it a bit closer. The W800 looks more like the real deal and the designer was a bit more in tune with what Turner and Wickes were all about.... But the Triumph is a bit faster....

Triumph wins the label wars but Kawasaki built a truer retro

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2011/March/mar1811-video-kawasaki-w800-grouptest/

Absolutely! I laughed out loud when the original W650 came out and Kawasaki claimed it's geneology was the W1! It was the best copy of the Bonnie ever made!

pete376403
18th July 2011, 17:08
Probably no worse than Triumph implying that the the current Bonnie shares DNA with the Meriden bikes.

That they both have air in the tires is about the only thing in common.

I'd rather have the Kawasaki

GPS MAN
27th July 2011, 19:30
I was really thinking about one of these...But, Kawa nailed that coffin shut:violin:

MD
27th July 2011, 19:44
I was really thinking about one of these...But, Kawa nailed that coffin shut:violin:

I wonder how many months need to pass without a single sale worldwide before Kawasaki ask themselves "josh, maybe we got that one wrong. Let's double the price and see if that kick starts some sales"

Voltaire
27th July 2011, 19:53
Theres not much price difference in the UK but here it quite a lot...
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/New/Article/Kawasaki-W800/1474

Indiana_Jones
28th July 2011, 09:10
The W650 is a much truer copy of the Meriden Bonnie then the Hinckley Bonnie, but I think the Hinckley Bonnie is more of a nod rather than a copy.

As others have said, people would consider a W650/800, but the price factor is a biggie and the fact that you can own a Triumph for the same or less.

Looks awesome though :)

-Indy