PDA

View Full Version : Android smartphone advice please.

george formby
2nd December 2010, 13:08
I'm writing my Christmas wish list to post to Santa c/o North Pole & in second place (after new rubber) is an Android smart phone. One of the main reasons I'm interested is to use the phone as a Sat nav & GPS. Anybody using google maps as a sat nav app? If so what do you think of it? Also is their a dedicated app for GPS plotting, I'm thinkin of my fishing spots here...

White trash
2nd December 2010, 13:14
I've jused google maps in a sat nav app and although probably not quite as instant as a dedicated GPS, it more than got us where we were going, first try with no mistakes.

george formby
2nd December 2010, 13:18
I've jused google maps in a sat nav app and although probably not quite as instant as a dedicated GPS, it more than got us where we were going, first try with no mistakes.

Does the app work on the mobile network or from installed maps & satellites? Just thinkin it could be expensive riding to Wellington from here & paying Vodafraud.

White trash
2nd December 2010, 13:26
Does the app work on the mobile network or from installed maps & satellites? Just thinkin it could be expensive riding to Wellington from here & paying Vodafraud.

Fuck knows, wasn't my phone but it was a pre-paid one which regularly has zero credit. We went from Papakura all the way for a big long tikki tour over the North Shore and it never stopped working.

Gremlin
2nd December 2010, 14:34
Depends. For it not to use carrier data, the phone must have built in GPS...

Brian d marge
2nd December 2010, 14:45
Ive just replaced my Iphone with the HTC Desire HD , the street view and google maps are awesome

You can download maps and destinations onto the phone so no lag , and one feature I like is the train time , you can search between 2 places and sy when is the next train due and it will tell u the station and train time and cost

Battery life is VERY limited if used for web surfing and downloading , but on standby and emails is about 2 days

Stephen

george formby
2nd December 2010, 14:51
Ive just replaced my Iphone with the HTC Desire HD , the street view and google maps are awesome

You can download maps and destinations onto the phone so no lag , and one feature I like is the train time , you can search between 2 places and sy when is the next train due and it will tell u the station and train time and cost

Battery life is VERY limited if used for web surfing and downloading , but on standby and emails is about 2 days

Stephen

Using google maps to direct you to a destination, is it on the network or GPS? I'm guessing they must be GPS otherwise it would be very limited due to coverage & changing networks.

Cheers all for the replies.

jim.cox
2nd December 2010, 15:32

Dont know about Android - but the iPhone system uses the cellphone towers first - and goes to gps if they are not available.

John_H
2nd December 2010, 18:17
I'm writing my Christmas wish list to post to Santa c/o North Pole & in second place (after new rubber) is an Android smart phone. One of the main reasons I'm interested is to use the phone as a Sat nav & GPS. Anybody using google maps as a sat nav app? If so what do you think of it? Also is their a dedicated app for GPS plotting, I'm thinkin of my fishing spots here...

I have one and it works well as a navigation system and I'm pretty sure there are apps for gps plotting. It is worth noting that using it as a sat nav sucks though your data plan, so I just keep using my tomtom for that purpose.

SPman
2nd December 2010, 20:33
We've got HTC Desires - built in GPS.
I like the feature where you can take a photo and the GPS will give you the coordinates - very handy sometimes......

Damantis
2nd December 2010, 21:30
I've had my Vodafone 845 for a few weeks now and I'm still getting used to it. The Google maps app is pretty good and doesn't chew up much data. Pretty sure it uses sattelites as well as cell towers to pinpoint location. Need to activate the GPS function manually before opening the application or it wont give a specific location ( more just the suburb without the GPS activated. )

The operating system is efficient but lacks tutorials to make the most of it. Am still stumbling around how to use this phone well. The online PDF manual on the Vodafone website isn't the greatest either. Can share photos but for some reason, not videos to facebook, although can send videos via email then upload vids from my laptop later. Standby time is pretty good, but mucking around with it, using the camera, surfing, streaming etc can chew through the battery in a couple of hours. Maybe the pricier handsets are a bit more user friendly but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.

Brian d marge
3rd December 2010, 03:39
I like the feature where you can take a photo and the GPS will give you the coordinates - very handy sometimes......

not likely , I was filming the girlfriend , now the wife knows :sick:

Joking aside , are the desires as snappy as the Hd with the 1 gig processor ?

Stephen

wife wants one

5t3a1F
3rd December 2010, 03:45
have nokia (symbian) with built in GPS. downloaded and installed maps from the net so doesn't cost a dime to use.

bloody brilliant.

george formby
3rd December 2010, 09:49
have nokia (symbian) with built in GPS. downloaded and installed maps from the net so doesn't cost a dime to use.

bloody brilliant.

Thats what I'm looking for, now i need to look up the best GPS phones. Hold on santa, it's comin.

marty
3rd December 2010, 09:57
tomtom geepeeesses are for sale for as low as $149 at the moment - why would you use a phone? the phone menu is clunky and if using data, can get expensive fast.

george formby
3rd December 2010, 10:29
tomtom geepeeesses are for sale for as low as $149 at the moment - why would you use a phone? the phone menu is clunky and if using data, can get expensive fast.

I'm getting fed up with pocketsful of gadgets & phone technology now should enable me to have a good camera, video, communication, sat nav & GPS in one unit. Well, that's my theory. I'm not interested in twatting, e-mail, posting my breakfast menu etc just getting their, recording it & skiting to my mates.

phiretrojan
3rd December 2010, 10:40

If the Phone support GPS and can handle gpx format, then you can just download a gpx format file upload it to your GPS App, cause i found a file for north island and south island suited for all types surf casting to boats

*edit, try looking at the Samsung I9000 - known as Galaxy* its an android device - i work with android scripts (learning to develop my own and sell) just PM, i'll be happy to help and part of my job, i am a Test Analysis so i have played with alot of android apps, and devices.

Gremlin
3rd December 2010, 13:59
For excellent navigation, you could use Garmin mobile XT, as long as the OS you choose supports it. It certainly works on symbian s60v3. Then you can use open source maps etc.

I use my GPS heavily tho, so I still use a proper GPS despite having a BlackBerry

george formby
3rd December 2010, 14:31
If the Phone support GPS and can handle gpx format, then you can just download a gpx format file upload it to your GPS App, cause i found a file for north island and south island suited for all types surf casting to boats

*edit, try looking at the Samsung I9000 - known as Galaxy* its an android device - i work with android scripts (learning to develop my own and sell) just PM, i'll be happy to help and part of my job, i am a Test Analysis so i have played with alot of android apps, and devices.

That is a phone I had my eye on. Voted best in yerp last year apparently. Had Nokia's for ages but the last two have been pants. Cheers for the offer, I need to see how big Santas budget is this year first.

avgas
3rd December 2010, 14:41

Do you know if the Vodafone 845 can upload gpx files?
I would really consider this phone if I did not have to use data on it.

Also if you have gpx files for NZ already - would be really cool if you posted them up here.

phiretrojan
3rd December 2010, 16:52
Do you know if the Vodafone 845 can upload gpx files?
I would really consider this phone if I did not have to use data on it.

Also if you have gpx files for NZ already - would be really cool if you posted them up here.

i can look into - yea i can do that gpx won't be till monday tho as its on my work laptop which i forgot to take home

*edit i lied* go here and download it http://www.mediafire.com/?zeknwytnmtz

Grasshopperus
3rd December 2010, 19:18
Try to get a phone with as much RAM as possible. I've got a friend with a 2nd generation HTC android and it's only got 128MB of ram and he's always bitching about it.

128MB is a fuckload of RAM but it's all Java'd up and I think he has problem running some sort of apps like that time wasting pos called 'angrybird'

phiretrojan
6th December 2010, 12:23
Try to get a phone with as much RAM as possible. I've got a friend with a 2nd generation HTC android and it's only got 128MB of ram and he's always bitching about it.

128MB is a fuckload of RAM but it's all Java'd up and I think he has problem running some sort of apps like that time wasting pos called 'angrybird'

All i know is Acer LiquidE got the most Google Android 2.1 Phone 768MHz 512M RAM 512M ROM 3G WIFI 3

http://mobile.acer.com/en/phones/liquide/

John_H
6th December 2010, 13:12
For excellent navigation, you could use Garmin mobile XT, as long as the OS you choose supports it. It certainly works on symbian s60v3. Then you can use open source maps etc.

I use my GPS heavily tho, so I still use a proper GPS despite having a BlackBerry

I have a garmin asus, will this use data if I use it as a GPS?

phiretrojan
6th December 2010, 13:27
I have a garmin asus, will this use data if I use it as a GPS?

depends on what services you have actived , Example traffic updates (would use a little bit of data for updates) if you have data turn on, it would use it... but it you have it off, it shouldnt use it, it would use the signal buildin, example how nokia's contains Radio app it just transmits via signal (doesn't use data if its not turned on) that is my understanding.[/QUOTE]

SPman
6th December 2010, 14:47
All i know is Acer LiquidE got the most Google Android 2.1 Phone 768MHz 512M RAM 512M ROM 3G WIFI 3

http://mobile.acer.com/en/phones/liquide/
HTC Desire - Android 2.2..768mb ram and 16G mini SD storage card 3G, Wifi etc etc.
Can also get a larger battery and cover which gives you 2 days use with everything on...http://cgi.ebay.com/3000mAh-Extended-Battery-Door-Cover-HTC-Desire-G7-/270661092078?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f04a882ee#ht_2411wt_1018

phiretrojan
6th December 2010, 18:12
HTC Desire - Android 2.2..768mb ram and 16G mini SD storage card 3G, Wifi etc etc.
Can also get a larger battery and cover which gives you 2 days use with everything on...http://cgi.ebay.com/3000mAh-Extended-Battery-Door-Cover-HTC-Desire-G7-/270661092078?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f04a882ee#ht_2411wt_1018

argh, yea...... that too. but HTC bad phones =S you'll find out

Gremlin
6th December 2010, 18:51
HTC have at least come along a little way from the days of the Imates... *shudder*

Still, I believe the Desire doesn't sync tasks from an exchange mailbox... along with the usual notes, over the carriers network.

Gibbo89
6th December 2010, 21:49
I am in the process of trying to obtain a Acer Betouch e130, it is only usable on 2 degrees or vodafone.

has anyone had any experiences with this phone?

Brian d marge
6th December 2010, 22:43

HTC desire HD , sitting in front of me , seems ok , why would they be bad??

Stephen

scissorhands
7th December 2010, 03:28
I am in the process of trying to obtain a Acer Betouch e130, it is only usable on 2 degrees or vodafone.

has anyone had any experiences with this phone?

I had an early Betouch...running windows 6 (i think) was slow(operating system), heavy and clunky, quite thick body and unattractive boxy design.

Best part was the free GPS via satellite rather than pay to use A-GPS. It appears Acer got their hand slapped for releasing a model with free GPS, not what the companies want!

I once had a Philips home stereo with CD writer, clunky but still great for burning tracks from radio.

Again, Philips got a hand slap for releasing to market this feature, not what music companies want!

DMNTD
7th December 2010, 03:58
Jebus! Can you actually phone anyone with these 'phones'? :blink:

Gibbo89
7th December 2010, 11:05

I think that you will find that when James Deuce crashed his bike, someone helped him and tried to ring 111 on his qwerty phone, or a touch screen maybe, the person that was trying to help him didn't know how to dial it...:facepalm:

So in regards to your question; maybe not!

Gibbo89
7th December 2010, 11:12
I had an early Betouch...running windows 6 (i think) was slow(operating system), heavy and clunky, quite thick body and unattractive boxy design.

Best part was the free GPS via satellite rather than pay to use A-GPS. It appears Acer got their hand slapped for releasing a model with free GPS, not what the companies want!

It would be pretty sweet if the one I want is going to have free GPS.

the one I want is not that fancy, just a qwerty/touch screen phone that is running on the older 1.6 system.

This is going to be a pretty thin phone, not too clunky.

Thanks for your thoughts.

BMWST?
7th December 2010, 12:04

esp if the pic is for a tag game and you want to know where it is!:shutup:

avgas
7th December 2010, 12:45
Best part was the free GPS via satellite rather than pay to use A-GPS. It appears Acer got their hand slapped for releasing a model with free GPS, not what the companies want!=
Sold. Will go looking for one now - and drop that whole Vodafone 845 dream

Gremlin
7th December 2010, 13:22
Gets better... with the top Blackberries, you don't even need a sim card or a connection to Telecom/Vodafone/2Degrees. Its able to work completely inhouse for things like large warehouses...

phiretrojan
7th December 2010, 14:58
HTC desire HD , sitting in front of me , seems ok , why would they be bad??

Stephen

Limited application storage if you are application junkie i am, The screen is less visible under the direct sunlight ...HTC Sense widget auto-refresh time can drain battery, Video playback could be better, Battery only lasts for a day with active use No DIVX decoder, HTC Should upgrade this as soon as possible because Samsung Galaxy S I9000 already comes with DIVX Decoder (depends on the user), Usability for camera could be better in UI and Image Stabilization is not present, you really need a steady hand .. i think that's all =) but then again each do their own.... but it did get a 4/5 and was a selling phone...

-df-
8th December 2010, 12:19
I picked up a Galaxy S a while ago, will never go back to iPhone now...awesome phones

SPman
8th December 2010, 14:16
HTC have at least come along a little way from the days of the Imates... *shudder*

Still, I believe the Desire doesn't sync tasks from an exchange mailbox... along with the usual notes, over the carriers network.
Mine does. The Desires currently get top spot in the smart phone stakes over here - ahead of the IP 4, even.....We've had no probs with ours.

phiretrojan
8th December 2010, 14:25
Mine does. The Desires currently get top spot in the smart phone stakes over here - ahead of the IP 4, even.....We've had no probs with ours.

Lucky few :yes:

Brian d marge
8th December 2010, 14:27
Limited application storage if you are application junkie i am, The screen is less visible under the direct sunlight ...HTC Sense widget auto-refresh time can drain battery, Video playback could be better, Battery only lasts for a day with active use No DIVX decoder, HTC Should upgrade this as soon as possible because Samsung Galaxy S I9000 already comes with DIVX Decoder (depends on the user), Usability for camera could be better in UI and Image Stabilization is not present, you really need a steady hand .. i think that's all =) but then again each do their own.... but it did get a 4/5 and was a selling phone...

I have 8 gig of sd card and even with movies its not full!

yes it is a little hard to see in direct sunlight but then so was my Iphone 3g

the battery , I can get 2 days out of it , BUT that is with everything switched off , , heavy browsing , and bye bye battery

I agree with image stabilization , esp if the subject is moving ! , hard to get a nice shot , but when it does ,, 8 meg ,, is a nice shot

My biggest complaint is my carrier over here , 3g!!!! .. two bits of string and a paper cup !

Stephen

I also will never buy another apple product because of Iphone !

phiretrojan
8th December 2010, 14:57
I have 8 gig of sd card and even with movies its not full!

yes it is a little hard to see in direct sunlight but then so was my Iphone 3g

the battery , I can get 2 days out of it , BUT that is with everything switched off , , heavy browsing , and bye bye battery

I agree with image stabilization , esp if the subject is moving ! , hard to get a nice shot , but when it does ,, 8 meg ,, is a nice shot

My biggest complaint is my carrier over here , 3g!!!! .. two bits of string and a paper cup !

Stephen

I also will never buy another apple product because of Iphone !

yip, i'm with you, my error on the Limited application storage i should of said "Limited application internal storage" Samsung is 8gig 16gig internal with the memory card option as well..... HTC Desire has 512MB ROM and almost 80% of it is used or reserved for the Android OS. l 120MB left for your apps and games

Brian d marge
8th December 2010, 15:16
yip, i'm with you, my error on the Limited application storage i should of said "Limited application internal storage" Samsung is 8gig 16gig internal with the memory card option as well..... HTC Desire has 512MB ROM and almost 80% of it is used or reserved for the Android OS. l 120MB left for your apps and games

mines the Desire HD ,

Internal phone storage: 1.5 GB
RAM: 768 MB

but on checking the specs I found this ....
3G:

Up to 14.4 Mbps download speed
Up to 5.76 Mbps upload speed

I measured mine and got .......

drum roll .

0.012 Mbps .......... I thank F%%&&67 i used lube I didn't realise I was getting reamed that bad !
Not just telecom

Stephen

Matt Bleck
8th December 2010, 16:00
I got a Galaxy S last week, it's farkin awesome!!! Iphone can suck my balls!!!

phiretrojan
8th December 2010, 17:53
I got a Galaxy S last week, it's farkin awesome!!! Iphone can suck my balls!!!

"clap, clap" best device ever!

Matt Bleck
8th December 2010, 18:22
"clap, clap" best device ever!

Not for long, the Nexus 2 by Samsung is not far off..... :love:

Matt Bleck
9th December 2010, 10:17
One of the things that really sold me on a phone with the Android OS is this (http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/index.html).

-df-
9th December 2010, 12:48
Not for long, the Nexus 2 by Samsung is not far off..... :love:

Its basically a i9000 anyway but with the latest OS isn't it? oh...and a flash...

One of the things that really sold me on a phone with the Android OS is this (http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/index.html).

I've been doing some development with the OS, its not to bad, except the GC is way to agressive...and would prefer better native code support.

Eclipse seems like a nice IDE for what it is as well.

Are you doing apps for them?

Kiwi Graham
9th December 2010, 12:55
Yep, recently got myself a Galaxy S, its taking some getting used to after my old Blackberry but I'm lovin it

george formby
9th December 2010, 13:03
Will i have to qualify for Mensa to use one of these, um, phones?

-df-
9th December 2010, 14:26
Will i have to qualify for Mensa to use one of these, um, phones?

Nah, they are pretty easy to use if you get a decent one.

What ever you do, make sure it has a capacitive touch screen and not a resistive one...its worth the extra money.

Matt Bleck
9th December 2010, 14:55
Are you doing apps for them?

I'm just trying to find the time to have a play at the moment..... :blink:

-df-
9th December 2010, 15:01
I'm just trying to find the time to have a play at the moment..... :blink:

Thats why I've quit my job and trying it full time...otherwise I'd never get around to working on it!

*ponders eating rice for the next 6 months...*