PDA

View Full Version : NZ TT Pukekohe 6/7th Dec Help Wanted

bluninja
2nd December 2003, 07:52
I guess this a bit cheeky...but...Paeroa is only a month away and marshalls are needed so I popped this on top of the old post.
Can you help?

Motorcycle Street Racing Paeroa 22 Feb
Flag Marshals Required.
You get free accommodation the night
before the racing, free entry and a free lunch.
To sign-up or for more information
contact Chris a/h 09 416 4234 or
mobile 0274 371251

Thinking of going to the NZ TT this weekend?

Want the best seats at Pukekohe for free?

Want to be fed and watered for free?

Want a free hat?

We are looking for people to assist with flag marshalling at the NZ TT meet Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th December.

It's a great way to watch and be involved with the sport of motorcycling. We need people to help on Sunday and Saturday (or both). Meet for a 9 am start on the day. You will be given training, overalls, and then directed to your prime viewing point. During the day you will be provided with lots of (non alcoholic) drinks, and theres a substantial lunch. On Saturday there will be a barbie and a beer after the racing finishes; on Sunday there's the prizegiving. You also may be given a petrol voucher to cover your travelling costs.

You'll need to bring leather gloves and stout closed shoes.

Still interested? If you want to help and can be at Pukekohe from 9 till 4:30 on the days then call Steve Wilson, Chief Flag Marshall on 025 203 7526. Even if you can't go this time, but having fun days flag marshalling appeals to you give Steve a call to book your seat for future events.

TTFN

Hoon
2nd December 2003, 12:02
Yeah I'm keen for doing Sunday.  I'd do Sat as well but I have to do an Army Physical and Med test plus BBQ.

I'll give Steve a ring - good chance to see some proper racing lines!!

bluninja
2nd December 2003, 14:16
Good on yer Ho-Hoon. Any chance some of your army pals might come along too? I'll be there Sat & Sun helping out at the dummy grid.

TTFN

k14
2nd December 2003, 14:32
Damn, that would be so cool!!!

Wish i was in auckland :doh:

gpercivl
2nd December 2003, 15:06
I'd be out flag marshalling except that I'm racing in F3, but I'll be out Thursday night helping with the bales :2thumbsup

Goddess of Goof
3rd December 2003, 23:19
:argh:

I'll be house-hunting and getting my place all packed up and cleaned up to leave, so I have to say PASS on this one. It's a bummer, cos I really enjoy flagging (close to flogging, isn't it?) and miss my adrenaline rush from being so close to the action.

:D   Thinking of you all, guys and gals, hope the weather is goddam perfect for racing and that you all have the best time ever.

C U at the BBQ

BestFun     :2thumbsup

bluninja
7th December 2003, 19:40
Well what a fabtastic 2 days at Puke. The racing was good, the flag marshalls were superb. I had a fun 2 days on the dummy grid. It was tiring to be on the go all day, but it makes me appreciate the efforts of the officials and support people at race days.

Here are some of my 'highlights'.

Seeing Chris Haldane taking the 999 out was special, aand I think he was the only twin to break 60 seconds. But after winning the first pro-twins race on Sat he lost a cylinder in the second and finished 4th behind the 3 'reliable' :D Aprilia RSVs

Seeing Shaun Harris with face redder than his hair come marching up pit lane to find out why the race was being restarted after the red flag. Seems they had only completed 62.5% of race distance and not 75% as required by the rules :o

Ray Clee won the superbike TT, and on the first race managed a 57.7 lap...awesome.

There were few spills over both days, with only one resulting in broken limbs (broken arm).

Lapping Puke in the back of the recovery ute on saturday picking up stray bikes and handing the drinks out to the flag marshalls.

TTFN

What?
8th December 2003, 06:59
For those who missed it... The Superbike TT / Geoff Perry Memorial was a sight ot remember. A great scratch off the start between Andrew Stoud, Dennis Charlett and Ray Clee, with Chris Haldane and Jason McEwen not far out of it. Then, on about lap 4, Ray Clee musta have suddenly remembered he had to be somewhere and left the others way behind. Mr Stroud obviously had some interest as he pulled a very clear second.

Hard case prize-giving: Officials all dressed in Yamaha sponsored clothing, and three Suzukis with their riders taking the prizes...

750Y
8th December 2003, 08:11
went on the saturday for a few hours, looked to be shaping up well. Ray Clee knows his way round pukekohe. Apparently he does 120k round the hairpin...hmmm. sounds like a great day racing. pleased to hear he took it away again.

Hoon
8th December 2003, 08:29
Yeah I was flag marshalling on the hairpin.  Ray Clees GSXR1000K3 just seemed to have an extra 0.5s a lap over Andrew Stroud and Brian Bernard as he slowly pulled ahead throughout the race (however he didn't seem to take the hairpin any faster than anyone else).  Andrew Stroud was pushing hard in the beginning to catch him but after a few lockups under brakes at the hairpin and running wide I guess he decided to settle for 2nd.

F2 was even closer with 4 bikes jostling the entire race.  Jared Love lead the pack until the last few laps when it looked like his tyres gave out as he was all over the track and almost took out the bunch on the hairpin when he went straight ahead from the inside line.

I had a great day though, saw lots of bike crashing out on the hairpin but nothing serious as they all got up, picked up their bikes and carried on their merry way!

What?
8th December 2003, 08:43
Oh, and the outstanding duel between Terry Fitzgerald and Andy Bolwell in F3...:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

bluninja
8th December 2003, 09:19
Yes, I forgot that one....but then I only really got to see people going over the hill and into the first bend. Seeing Terry and Andy going into Jennian side by side, neither wishing to give an inch was damn good. Though bike 80 in 600s was also pretty agressive into Jennian, holding or making up places on entry that he lsot elsewhere. I'm sure Nick O will pop his report on KB soon.

TTFN

Coldkiwi
8th December 2003, 11:18
57.7??? mother of god.

That's quicker than murph isn't it?

Motoracer
8th December 2003, 12:26
Shit yea, thoes guys were giving it all. Lots of guys low sided from trying to hard.

750Y
8th December 2003, 14:18
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
57.7??? mother of god.

i may be wrong but i heard Tony Rees had done a 56 something once(the record?) & my source was pretty reliable. not that it matters much, if you're under a minute you're at the top of the sport in NZ. how do those guys do it? practice? balls? talent? all 3 plus the hell bike? AWESOME to watch... I take my hat off.

gpercivl
8th December 2003, 15:38
I had a lot of fun in the back of F3 but my old '87 1WG FZR400 lacked top end speed...I managed to get down to 1:12.3 after putting in new brake pads on Sunday morning, but the newer 400cc 400's were doing 1:10's and the close to 450cc 400's were a lot faster.

I tried to draft Ross King on his 450 when he lapped me around the 11th lap but even though I was on his tail coming out of Castrol he just pulled away with ease. I was maxxed out at 14,500 in 6th watching him leave.

I finished 10th overall for the day...Manfeild should be better next weekend as I won't need as much top speed and my old 400 seems to get out of corners quite quickly but I'm not expecting too much.

Bob Knight my team mate in No Hair Racing crashed on Friday and on Saturday trying out new SBS brake pads...they seemed to work too well over-heating his disks casuing them to grab into the hairpin creating a 90kph shoulder high stoppie then off the track into the dirt. Then on Saturday they seemed to fail going into Castrol and he ran off again...so not too good a weekend for him.

HO-hoon did you notice me in the hairpin??? How much slower was I than the others??? heaps I expect

Cheers, Greg :p

LB
8th December 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by bluninja
Well what a fabtastic 2 days at Puke. The racing was good, the flag marshalls were superb. I had a fun 2 days on the dummy grid. It was tiring to be on the go all day, but it makes me appreciate the efforts of the officials and support people at race days.

Bluninja: I disagree with your comment about the racing - the racing was not "good", it was F***ING EXCELLENT!!!!!

Some of the best racing I've seen in a long time. We have some superb riders around at the moment.

Thanks to you and Mitch and all the others who put so much effort into the race meeting (I know what's involved behind the scenes!!)

bluninja
8th December 2003, 15:54
Lynda, good from my viewpoint. Had I been in the stands, or racing then I would have had a different experience. Here's a pic of a few time wasters standing by the side of the track. See how many you can identify.

Hoon
8th December 2003, 16:09
Originally posted by gpercivl
HO-hoon did you notice me in the hairpin??? How much slower was I than the others??? heaps I expect

Sorry I honestly can't recall.  I get yours and Bobs bikes mixed up but you both seemed to be doing alright.  One thing that I did notice on the hairpin was that lots of people are slow there.  There were only a few riders that were quick.  I guess that all the lockups and going in 3 wide at times had something to do with peoples confidence but yeah I was hoping to see some dazzling displays of how to take the hairpin but everyone pretty much takes it the same way (even Clees, Stroud, Haldane, Bernard etc) complete with the occasional mistake!

One thing I did find interesting was the amount of bikes bottoming out their front forks - you could hear the fork chatter as they shook to a halt.  It was mostly the fast F1/F2 bikes that were doing this (and the poorly setup ones) so I guess thats an indication of how hard they were pushing.

LB
8th December 2003, 18:34
Bluninja:
Mitch holding the helmet strap board
Your good self holding the 2 lap warmup board
Jim Tuckerman back-on
I recognise the guy holding the green flag but can't think of his name

LB
8th December 2003, 18:35
And it could be Chris Costello with the folded arms?

bluninja
9th December 2003, 08:11
Not bad Lynda. Not Chris with the folded arms, but an AMCC past president and life member who was chief scrutineer. As for the man with the green flag, he's part of a father and son stewarding 'dynasty'.

TTFN

What?
9th December 2003, 08:19
Originally posted by Coldkiwi
57.7??? mother of god.

I seem to recall that during a car/bike meeting at Puke last summer, the V8 elite were staggered to see Rees & co. lapping faster in the wet than the V8's were doing in the dry.:niceone:

Penta
10th December 2003, 11:56
Originally posted by 750Y
i may be wrong but i heard Tony Rees had done a 56 something once(the record?) & my source was pretty reliable. not that it matters much, if you're under a minute you're at the top of the sport in NZ. how do those guys do it? practice? balls? talent? all 3 plus the hell bike? AWESOME to watch... I take my hat off.

Sorry but Wrong, lap record is 57.846 no 56's done by Ree's (finger on the timer clock not correct.) How do those guys do it? ALL THREE and more!!

bluninja
10th December 2003, 12:12
So Ray Clee took the lap record in race 1 of superbikes? Wow.

BTW all the laptimes are posted on www.mylaps.com (http://www.mylaps.com) Just select country and New Zealand and then the race meet and races that you want.

TTFN

Mitch
10th December 2003, 12:47
Originally posted by Lynda Blair
And it could be Chris Costello with the folded arms?

Heya Lynda, it's Lyndsay Banks with his arms folded and the GREAT Warren New thrashing about with the green flag :p 

What an absolutely amazing weekend!!!

Coldkiwi
10th December 2003, 17:25
ooooer dear! those 600 times are scary! 1:00:53 by Mr Harris!! Feck sakes... hardly surprising he did well in the isle of man then.

Hoon
17th December 2003, 17:36
Heres a link to the Herald Article on the meet:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3538191&thesection=sport&thesubsection=motorsports&thesecondsubsection=general